The vegan food pyramid - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-11-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Is this really accurate? I googled the vegan food pyramid and they were all basically the same (they all listed the same amount of servings).

I just cant believe that were supposed to eat 6-11 servings of grains a day! That seems like a lot. I could never eat all that food. Is it really necessary?

Does anyone eat like this on a daily basis?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-11-2008, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

A serving isn't as much as you might think... especially for pasta and rice.. A half cup cooked, right? It's safe to say that people eat more than that at meal time.

And no one's going to punish you if you don't eat the max recommended servings
#3 Old 08-11-2008, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

It gets less frightening if you consider what amount a serving of grains equates to.

E. g. 1 slice of bread, ½ cup of cooked rice or pasta, etc.

I try to use this guide as an orientation, and I usually have the least trouble with meeting the grains recommendation (carbs)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-11-2008, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Looks about right to me. 6-11 servings of grains isn't that much at all. You can get your six servings of grains by eating 1 cup of oatmeal at breakfast, 2 slices of bread in your sandwich at lunch and a cup of rice or pasta with your dinner.
#5 Old 08-11-2008, 11:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Oh okay. Thanks a lot. I almost fell off the chair when I saw 6-11 servings. So a serving isn't a whole plate of rice or pasta? What a relief.
#6 Old 08-11-2008, 12:04 PM
Veggie Regular

People grossly under or over estimate what a serving is.

When I see people say that they have a "teaspoon of oil" on a salad, I am like, YEAH, RIGHT! That's less than a 1 second splash!

I eat more vegetables than anything else on average. I've been eating lots of fruit lately though.

On a daily basis, I try to eat vegetables first, beans and legumes and protein rich products (including soy or seitan) and fruit next, then fat-rich foods (including nuts and seeds) then starchy foods (pasta, rice etc.) and lastly sweets.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 08-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I saw a dietitian for free once, and she modified a vegetarian food pyramid for me. and instead of "dairy substitutes" she made the dairy section just "calcium" meaning that a supplement counted towards that group. Or anything with calcium. Because who gets all their calcium from dairy substitutes?
#8 Old 08-11-2008, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shineonyou View Post

I saw a dietitian for free once, and she modified a vegetarian food pyramid for me. and instead of "dairy substitutes" she made the dairy section just "calcium" meaning that a supplement counted towards that group. Or anything with calcium. Because who gets all their calcium from dairy substitutes?

thats terrific!!
#9 Old 08-12-2008, 02:52 AM
Beginner

For me, legumes, and "gassy" foods I have to stay away from. I have gasiritis (sp?). And I'm not a sweet eater (I like savory things). I'm not crazy about sweet fruits. This is hard since I'm vegan. But I eat lots of grains, and savory fruits and veggies. I seem to be doing ok.
#10 Old 08-12-2008, 09:47 AM

When I first went veg, I used this as a reference on what to eat and how much of it. As the other posters have stated, a serving as we think of it is usually more than what is a recommended serving.

Knowing the basics about nutrition I do not follow it as much, because if you are eating a variety of foods, you will meet your totals easily. I don't sweat it or watch what I eat, except for the sweet and fatty stuff. But even those I don't watch like I had to when an omni.
#11 Old 08-12-2008, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Every other pyramid that I can recall reading has seeds and nuts together. It's strange to see seeds put with beans and legumes. I'm not sure how much constitutes a serving, but I probably have 5 or 6 grain products per day. I've never met a person who has 11 or close to it.
#12 Old 08-12-2008, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

I've never met a person who has 11 or close to it.

Active teenage boys.
#13 Old 08-12-2008, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

My weight gain plan when I was "recovering" (I use the term loosely) from anorexia involved the following:

12 grains

6 fruits

3 vegetables (too filling and low calorie for someone severly underweight)

5 dairy

8 protein (1 oz meat, peanut butter, 1/2 cup beans, etc)

3 others (dressing, mayo, etc - one had to be a dessert thougH)

so yeah, it's def. possible. I probably eat 9 or 10 grains a day *shrug* High metabolism and a love of cereal.
#14 Old 08-12-2008, 10:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karyanca View Post

Active teenage boys.

That's what I was going to say. I swear my son eats a loaf of bread and a box of cereal by himself every couple of days.
#15 Old 08-12-2008, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cissy View Post

so yeah, it's def. possible. I probably eat 9 or 10 grains a day *shrug* High metabolism and a love of cereal.

I WISH I had that problem!

I cleared the rest of your post out because I don't mock or take eating disorders lightly. I have relatives that have them, but they are morbidly obese. According to current weight standards I am considered overweight. I have been fighting the battle of the bulge since I have been 25 y/o and had a couple of kids and had been very thin my whole life.

Since going veg, I am losing weight naturally and can see it normalizing and staying off. Eating a vegan diet has definitely been good for this as well.
#16 Old 08-12-2008, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by codemonkey View Post

That's what I was going to say. I swear my son eats a loaf of bread and a box of cereal by himself every couple of days.

Apart from nephews, we hosted three teenagers for World Youth Days one year. My husband kept prompting me to keep offering them food.

Me: "But they just finished eating a little while ago."

Him: "Trust me. They'll eat it."

He was right.
#17 Old 08-12-2008, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Human garbage disposal, I tell ya.
#18 Old 08-12-2008, 11:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abyssinian View Post

Is this really accurate?

No. Pyramids have a polygonal base and triangular sides that meet in a point. That would more accurately be called The Vegan Food Triangle.
#19 Old 08-13-2008, 03:25 PM
Veggie Regular

In regards to teens/men/boys eating, my Beau will eat en entire box of cereal in a mixing bowl as a snack.

He will also drink an entire carton of soymilk.

He needs about 5,000 calories a day, minimum or he rapidly loses weight.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#20 Old 08-18-2008, 07:35 AM
Beginner

Quote:

My weight gain plan when I was "recovering" (I use the term loosely) from anorexia involved the following:

12 grains

6 fruits

5 dairy

Wow, can you post what you typically eat in a day? I'm just curious if the amounts seem higher than the amount of food you actually eat.
#21 Old 08-18-2008, 01:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

12 grains

6 fruits

5 dairy

So you weren't a vegetarian when you recovered? Or do you mean mock meat?
#22 Old 08-18-2008, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but where does tofu and tofu-like products come in?

Ahhhh now I see....under beans etc?
#23 Old 08-18-2008, 03:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by KarmaKitty View Post

I hope this isn't a dumb question, but where does tofu and tofu-like products come in?

Ahhhh now I see....under beans etc?

They're made from soy beans
#24 Old 08-18-2008, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So you weren't a vegetarian when you recovered? Or do you mean mock meat?

I also wanted to say that when a person is recovering from an eating disorder, sometimes the therapy involves letting go of any habits that exacerbate rigidity. In order to get healthy again, sometimes this means a veg*n has to (under doctors' orders) eat omni. Some choose to stay there and some do not. Recovery is a very personal and tenuous thing, and not to be taken lightly.

I'm not speaking in terms of her in particular because I do not know her personal habits, but just so you know there are people here on VB who are omni.

#25 Old 08-18-2008, 05:57 PM
Veggie Regular

This was when I was 15, I wasn't a vegetarian then. (good god I'm 21 now, that's a long time ago...)

I don't remember in particular what I ate, but here's my best guess - again, wasn't veg at the time, and wouldn't have been allowed to be. haven't eaten meat in over 5 years though

Breakfast:

1.5 cups cereal

1 cup 2% milk

1 piece fruit

Snack:

Yogurt

apple

granola bar

Lunch:

2 slices wheat bread

3 slices turkey

1 slice cheese

fruit

1.5 servings vegetables

Snack:

2 sheets graham crackers

1 cup milk

fruit

Dinner:

1 cup spaghetti

meat sauce

Parmesan cheese

piece of fruit

vegetables

Dinner:

1.5 cups cereal

1 cup milk

fruit

large cookie
#26 Old 08-19-2008, 12:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I wouldn't be alive without peanut butter. that should be the largest intake!
#27 Old 08-19-2008, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I also wanted to say that when a person is recovering from an eating disorder, sometimes the therapy involves letting go of any habits that exacerbate rigidity. In order to get healthy again, sometimes this means a veg*n has to (under doctors' orders) eat omni. Some choose to stay there and some do not. Recovery is a very personal and tenuous thing, and not to be taken lightly.

I'm not speaking in terms of her in particular because I do not know her personal habits, but just so you know there are people here on VB who are omni.

I see. Thanks for clearing that up for me because I had no idea. Of course you should do whatever is necessary to recover properly.

I wasn't attacking you, Cissy, I was simply asking. Happy 5 year vegiversary
#28 Old 08-19-2008, 07:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I wasn't attacking you, Cissy, I was simply asking. Happy 5 year vegiversary

thanks, and I didn't take it as an attack

I was actually veg for a little while before my hospitalization, but I started eating turkey again before I went to the hospital because I didn't have any "safe" foods. And I also realized later that the yogurts I ate had gelatin, didn't know that at the time.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page