Coffee creamer? Cheese substitute? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, I have a question. What do vegans put in their coffee? I am NOT about to use any sort of edible oil product or anything super-processed. I drink espresso pretty much every day, so it needs to be good.

Also, cheese substitutes? What are the best ones? I tried VeganRella once, and after melting it on some triscuits, I took a bite and promptly spat it out. I nearly threw up it was so bad. What are good cheese substitutes? And cream cheese/sour cream/etc.

I'm rather lactose intolerant, so reducing my dairy intake in any way is a plus, I figure! Not to mention the cows will thank me.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-08-2008, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Do a search at the top of the menu bar and you'll find threads on both these subjects I guess a lot of people on here just use soy milk as a creamer. I don't drink coffee, so I don't have any suggestions.

As for cheese, I heard a lot about Vegan gourmet, and it's actually pretty decent. Tastes like cottage cheese to me. I usually use it on lasagna or in tacos. Don't know about any other ones, as this is the only one I've found around here.
#3 Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I use whatever nut milk I have on hand.

Silk has a coffee creamer that is more stable than their regular soy milk.

Follow Your Heart isn't too bad for cheese-like imitations. Nutritional Yeast is probably the best thing you can use for a similar taste experience though. Love them for what they are instead of hate them for what they aren't though.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-08-2008, 11:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Started to enjoy coffee black as well. Or with a little agave or maple.
#5 Old 08-08-2008, 11:59 PM
Beginner

When I first changed I found every cheese subsitute really gross. So I went cold turkey for a month. Now I have a few that I find good, but I only use sparingly, since I'm out of the cheese (now faux cheese) habit. It may be something you need to try.

I drink my coffee black when I do have it, so I never had to replace it.
#6 Old 08-09-2008, 02:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Regarding the cream cheese I really like Tofutti
#7 Old 08-09-2008, 02:31 AM

soy milk in coffee = super fantastic. (unless you like really creamy coffee, then you might want to try silks "creamer")

follow your heart vegan cheese. "it melts!" (kinda...)

Personally, i'd rather make a cheese sauce out of nutritional yeast flakes, i LOVE the taste.

tofutti "better than cream cheese"

oh, i want some tofutti on a bagel right now!
#8 Old 08-09-2008, 08:30 AM

I love almond milk in my coffee.

As for the cheese, I agree with the poster who said it helped to completely abstain from all cheese (fake and real) for a month and THEN try the cheese substitutes. Nutritional yeast on some things has a cheesy taste too, I've found.
#9 Old 08-09-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Tofutti makes both cream cheese and sour cream subs.

and they're both really awesome. Especially the 'better than cream cheese'
#10 Old 08-09-2008, 09:22 AM
Beginner

I got some tofutti mozerella and cheddar the other day. they were okay, not that good, but not that bad either.
#11 Old 08-09-2008, 10:12 AM

just to give you a heads up...

i found out last night that the brand "veggie slices" cheese isn't actually vegan.

apparently they contain casein which is the milk protein that makes dairy products chemically addictive.

these slices are constantly marketed as vegan so be careful!

i'm very sensitive to dairy products and i couldn't figure out why i felt nauseous after i ate a meal containing these cheese slices. i'm so pissed!
#12 Old 08-09-2008, 04:52 PM
Veggie Regular

You may have to sacrifice some taste/texture for good health. There just isn't a cheese sub that tastes like cheese (I like Tofutti sour cream, but even that isn't quite sour cream -- and it's got trans fats).

Same with creamer. Unless you want a highly processed non-dairy "creamer" sub, with oil and stuff in it, you'll have to make do with thinner soy or nut milk.
#13 Old 08-09-2008, 05:01 PM
Beginner

For my coffee, I use Silk original creamer, and lots of it. I like my coffee light in color and taste.

As far as cheese, I didn't find a vegan cheese that I like, so I just don't use it. I use nutritional yeast sprinkled on pasta for a "cheesey" flavor, though.
#14 Old 08-11-2008, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

Tofutti makes both cream cheese and sour cream subs.

A lot of people seem to like these, but the sour cream literally almost made me sick. The cream cheese was okay, but not something I would buy again. I'm really interested in trying the Follow Your Heart brand cream cheese and sour cream though.

I use Silk Soy Creamer in my coffee and Rice Vegan Slices (American, Pepper Jack & Mozzarella). They taste good and really melt well.
#15 Old 08-11-2008, 05:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I love soymilk in coffee. I actually prefer the taste to regular milk. To me, the taste of soymilk just blends with the taste of coffee in a really nice way.

After all I've heard and read about them, I'm too scared to try vegan cheese substitutes. I'd honestly rather have no cheese at all.
#16 Old 08-11-2008, 05:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwah View Post

i found out last night that the brand "veggie slices" cheese isn't actually vegan.

apparently they contain casein which is the milk protein that makes dairy products chemically addictive.

i'm very sensitive to dairy products and i couldn't figure out why i felt nauseous after i ate a meal containing these cheese slices. i'm so pissed!

they're marketed as veggie (ie: vegetarian). those cheeses are for people who are lactose intollerent and/or don't want animal rennet in their cheese.

they do make a vegan product too though. several of them, infact. look:

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/usa/vegan.asp

http://www.galaxyfoods.com/ourbrands/usa/galaxy.asp

i like the purple ones much more than the blue rice based ones. the slices are handy for plonking on a burger. doesn't melt, but it gets soft which is a plus.

pandora9kry: i like coffee black. its like dark chocolate- an aquired taste but way nicer than watered down milky stuff.

tofutti does make the best cream cheese sub. the salmon one has fish in it (the company is kosher, not vegan) but the other ones are fine.

i haven't found anything better than vegan gourmet for melting on pizzas, etc. its not perfect, but its better than everything else i've tried.
#17 Old 08-11-2008, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Bonsoy is by far the best soy....

It doesnt have that real soy taste that I hate...
#18 Old 08-11-2008, 08:04 PM
Beginner

How about Sheese? I haven't tried it yet b/c it's not cheap, but I want to try it to make some cheese cookies. I've heard it is very good.

~kathy
#19 Old 08-12-2008, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Homemade cashew milk (sometimes with a bit of coconut mixed in) is the only creamer I have found to be an acceptable sub for dairy. Oat milk would be a second. The pack nut milks I've tried are never thick or creamy enough to make my coffee or tea taste good. I can't handle soy milks and creamers, so don't have much experience with them. Maybe they are creamy enough.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#20 Old 08-12-2008, 09:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm addicted to soy lattes, but if I'm just going to have a cup of coffee, I've learned to drink it black. If you purchase good gourmet coffee, it's really the only way to drink it. Lighteners and sugar mask the natural subtle flavors. It's kind of like dumping 7-Up in an expensive glass of wine.

Cheese subs all suck, IMO. I like the herb better than cream cheese on a bagel or in a wrap okay, but overall anymore I'd rather just put nut butter or earth Balance on the bagel and hummus in the wrap. If you are looking for a fake cheese to put in a soup or make a sauce with, Follow Your Heart is very good, but if you want grilled cheese, pizza or just a slice on a sandwich, forget about it. It kind of melts, but it is greasy and soft in an unpleasant way. It's been so long since I've had cheese now that I hate the stuff anyway. It smells like dirty feet, and on the last occasion that I put some in my mouth by accident (asked for a burrito no cheese and forgot to check before taking a bite), I actually gagged. And I used to LOVE cheese, the sharper and stinkier the better.

I agree with those who said to cut out dairy completely for 30 days, then learn to love nutritional yeast. I sprinkle nutritional yeast or Parma (raw food product containing nutritional yeast, ground up nuts and spices) on lots of things (soups, salads, pasta, popcorn to name a few).
#21 Old 08-12-2008, 09:35 AM
Beginner

There's a book called The Uncheese Cookbook that's really good. They have a soft cheese, almost a sauce, that can be used to make grilled cheese sandwiches and it's very good. I've also used it on baked potatoes. We also enjoy the mac and cheese and the eggplant parm recipe. Great book!

~kathy
#22 Old 08-12-2008, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Another vote for Silk's creamer. I trying it for the first time now.

I tried giving up coffee. That works for a few weeks and then I relapse. (Rinse and repeat.) I tried drinking it black and was getting used to that until this morning. I was fixing coffee for my husband and myself at the same time and, in a moment of inattention, poured his evaporated milk into my coffee cup. That made me determined to find a coffee creamer substitute that he would find acceptable so that I could throw that <censored muttering> dairy creamer out of the house.
#23 Old 08-12-2008, 12:27 PM

LOL

My first vegan dinner that I made was mac and cheese using

Follow Your Heart. Lets just say we all took a bite and decided

to have some cereal.

I have had much better luck with the nutritional yeast flakes.
#24 Old 08-12-2008, 12:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwah View Post

The ones that state "veggie" are vegetarian, Not vegan. The ones that state "vegan" are indeed vegan. It's not false labeling, It clearly states in bold print if it's vegan or not. My favorite are the pepperkjack rice slices which were recently made vegan. Somewhere there's a comment in reply to this saying they get soft but don't melt, Which isn't the case. I melt it all the time. Some people even use the slices to top pizza because it melts so well and evenly. It just has to get a little hotter than casein containing cheese to do so.

Quote:
Originally Posted by badrelijen View Post

It melts completely, Actually. You just can't expect it to melt as easily as casein containing cheese. It melts easiest if it's shreaded or very thinly sliced. It's also good shreaded and used in salads or in "cheese" dips.
#25 Old 08-13-2008, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathiasplace View Post

There's a book called The Uncheese Cookbook that's really good. They have a soft cheese, almost a sauce, that can be used to make grilled cheese sandwiches and it's very good. I've also used it on baked potatoes. We also enjoy the mac and cheese and the eggplant parm recipe. Great book!

I have that book. The fake mozarella is my fav out of it so far. I finally got my husband to try it and now he's hooked. He used to be a slave to cheese in the store. I also started making him his own veggie burgers to go with the uncheese. I make mine without salt or strange additives.
#26 Old 08-13-2008, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Silk creamer for coffee is great! I am on a mission to find a way to make it, though, as I would like to make my own.

I really really do NOT like soy MILK in mine. Which sucks because I can make it easy.
#27 Old 08-13-2008, 10:41 AM
Beginner

There is no vegan cheese that comes close to accurately simulating the taste and texture of real cheese. None.

Especially not for what your looking for (cheese on crackers).

I tried several of the cheeses out there in my quest for the perfect vegan cheese and can definitively confirm that it does not exist.

I have not tried to eat (vegan) cheese in that way for years now, but if you are seeking a cheese for melting, in a recipe, Follow Your Heart's Vegan Gourmet comes the closest, but it is expensive, fatty, and not that great.

i still prefer cheese made with nutritional yeast, for use in baking.

Look online and you can find many recipes to try, till you find one that most suits your flavor profile.

in my coffee, i use unsweetened vanilla almond milk and vanilla creme stevia (or, less frequently, maple or agave)

I really like Toffuti's sour cream, but it nearly made someone on here blow chunks. (O_o)

hmm.. wonder if it was the sour supreme or the non-hydrogenated sour cream '\\_(0_0)_/'

everyone's taste will, of course, differ. so it is an option, but, again, a costly and fatty option.

Here's a couple other options to try:

::Tofu Sour Cream::

(makes 1 1/4 cups)

1 10.5-ounce package of lite silken tofu (firm), crumbled

4 to 5 teaspoons lemon juice (fresh is best)

2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar

1 teaspoon sweetener (any you want)

1/2 teaspoon salt

Blend all in a food processor or blender. Process several minutes, until super creamy and smooth. Creamy texture dependent on lots of whipping/blending, so make sure to process it for a few minutes. Refrigerate.

::Tofu Sour Cream 2::

(haven't tried this one yet)

1 pound silken tofu

juice of 1-1/2 lemons

1 tablespoon dill

1 teaspoon salt

Same instructions as above.
#28 Old 08-13-2008, 10:47 AM
Beginner

*Are you a new vegan?

Attempting to replicate meals that you are accustomed to now (especially cheesy ones) with vegan substitutes will only disappoint. It is easy to feel the loss of favorite flavors and consistencies when you first cross over, but you will soon find that those few things are replaced by a whole array of yumminess that omnis (at least, in the western world) widely neglect.

Exploring new foods/cuisines is fun.

I didn't learn to cook, till I went vegan. (^_^)b

After a while, your craving for greasy fatty things, like cheese, will be replaced by cravings for other tasty (more healthy, whole foods). You won't miss it anymore. (... used to be a bit obsessed with cheese, myself. It was, by far, the hardest to give up. Now, that's a distant memory.)
#29 Old 08-13-2008, 08:41 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by anonycat View Post

*Are you a new vegan?

Attempting to replicate meals that you are accustomed to now (especially cheesy ones) with vegan substitutes will only disappoint. It is easy to feel the loss of favorite flavors and consistencies when you first cross over, but you will soon find that those few things are replaced by a whole array of yumminess that omnis (at least, in the western world) widely neglect.

Exploring new foods/cuisines is fun.

I didn't learn to cook, till I went vegan. (^_^)b

After a while, your craving for greasy fatty things, like cheese, will be replaced by cravings for other tasty (more healthy, whole foods). You won't miss it anymore. (... used to be a bit obsessed with cheese, myself. It was, by far, the hardest to give up. Now, that's a distant memory.)

I'm not vegan, I'm lacto-ovo-vegetarian, and I've only done that for about 2.5 months. But I'm pretty lactose-intolerant, so I'd like to cut out as much dairy as possible. I figured vegans were the best ones to ask about dairy replacements!

P.S. Thanks for all the suggestions, guys!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page