Earthlings! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 08-01-2008, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Whoa! I just watched the film, "Earthlings" and it has completely altered my life; I cannot stop thinking about it. I've been searching the "rabbit hole" that is these VeggieBoards and can't find the person who had mentioned the film in their post. But I want to say, "Thank You!"

I have some struggle at times with whether vegetarianism is right for me. But now I know, deep deep down, where it really matters, that it is. In fact, I was lacto ovo, and now, when I think about eating something with dairy or eggs, I have an image in my head of the suffering of these creatures.

But what I really liked about the film is that, it doesn't just get "right in there" like "Meet Your Meat" (I did a bit of comparison-- couldn't watch anymore, though). It begins with describing that animals are "other nations," instead of being separate, lesser-than species. And that perhaps, it is us humans that lack a sort of consciousness that the animals have. That's in a nutshell of what I liked about the beginning. I really should watch it again. Also, that each creature is aware of its life-- each creature is the center of its own universe. THAT is what really got me.

It made me feel so bad to see what was happening to these beings. All, despite the fact that they are living in horrible conditions, have a sort of grace to them (I can't quite describe it any better), and it is the humans who are degrading them that are the real filthy ones. I could get really metaphysical here, but I think you get my drift...

Anyway, I just wanted to say that I can't stop thinking about the film. I think it should be watched. If anyone wants to start a discussion about any part of it, I'd be interested to read your thoughts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 08-01-2008, 10:48 AM
Veggie Regular

The best AR film ever made IMO. way better than meet your meat.
#3 Old 08-01-2008, 12:03 PM

I have never cried so much in my life as I did when I watched that movie.

I don't think I can even say I really watched the movie, my eyes were covered most of the time and just the mental images of what he was saying made me cry.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 08-01-2008, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

That's great that you watched it and were so affected by it.

I like your descriptions of the "metaphysical" aspects of the movie.

For people who really take that message (whether through the movie or some other way), there's a pretty huge rift in consciousness between those who think of animals as valuable INDIVIDUALS, and those who are fine using them for food, research, clothing, etc. and think of them basically like widgets in a factory.

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#5 Old 08-01-2008, 01:58 PM
Veggie Regular

And that's another interesting thing about what I came away with after watching "Earthlings." I'm fed up with exploiting animals for anything that I put in my body THATS for sure, but it made me think, really think about things I wear, cosmetics, everything.

I'm not going to make some grand proclamation that I'm to do a complete overhaul in my lifestyle and, say, not drive or anything (a friend once said that tires are not vegan), but I want my purchases to be more positive. I can never buy leather shoes again (no matter how cute they are), and I will only buy organic, vegan beauty stuff. I like all that stuff better anyway. And thanks to a greater demand in all of this, there are many more options out there now than there were years ago.

I think this'll be great!
#6 Old 08-01-2008, 02:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I started to watch part of it on youtube. It was in three different parts and I clicked the third part--- it plopped me right into the circus. I couldn't watch it. The only real videos I've successfully watched through are Meet your Meat and a few short Peta things...

I want to watch it, though
#7 Old 08-01-2008, 02:51 PM
Veggie Regular

It is a very powerful video and I agree, the statement about 'other nations', that made me just sit back and just think about that...it's such an awesome quote, here it is for those who haven't heard it...it's wonderfully written

Quote:
The animal shall not be measured by man. In a world older and more complete than ours they move finished and complete, gifted with extensions of the senses we have lost or never attained, living by voices we shall never hear.

They are not brethren, they are not underlings; they are other nations, caught with ourselves in the net of life and time, fellow prisoners of the splendour and travail of the earth.

Henry Beston

The video was very hard to watch, especially the fur trade...that one makes me incredibly sick to the stomach. The dogs getting poisoned and put into the back of the garbage truck....urgh. It makes my soul ache. I think everyone should watch this movie, it's incredibly narrated and as the OP said, it's not in your face like some other videos, it's just very nicely done.
#8 Old 08-01-2008, 02:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I started to watch part of it on youtube. It was in three different parts and I clicked the third part--- it plopped me right into the circus. I couldn't watch it. The only real videos I've successfully watched through are Meet your Meat and a few short Peta things...

I want to watch it, though

google videos has it all in one part.
#9 Old 08-01-2008, 03:29 PM

earthlings is a shocking film, with a compassionate sentiment. the one bit i have a real problem with is when the dog is put in the rubbish crusher... to think that someone could be so cruel is one, horrible, thing. but to see it happening, is heartbreaking.

i'm only human, and i sometimes feel a weakness. not to the extent where i would change my lifestyle, just that sometimes i lose focus. watching earthlings helps me refind that focus and become even more enthusiastic about the joys of veganism.

it's also a great documentary to share with friends and family. even it doesn't change their ways, they may understand and appriciate your lifestyle more.
#10 Old 08-02-2008, 04:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elanor View Post

And that's another interesting thing about what I came away with after watching "Earthlings." I'm fed up with exploiting animals for anything that I put in my body THATS for sure, but it made me think, really think about things I wear, cosmetics, everything.

I'm not going to make some grand proclamation that I'm to do a complete overhaul in my lifestyle and, say, not drive or anything (a friend once said that tires are not vegan), but I want my purchases to be more positive. I can never buy leather shoes again (no matter how cute they are), and I will only buy organic, vegan beauty stuff. I like all that stuff better anyway. And thanks to a greater demand in all of this, there are many more options out there now than there were years ago.

I think this'll be great!

Welcome to Veganism
#11 Old 08-02-2008, 05:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Earthlings is the hardest things I've ever watched.

And the most impacting.
#12 Old 08-02-2008, 10:51 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for that quote again, Masja
#13 Old 08-02-2008, 10:55 AM
Veggie Regular

And, of course, thank you for the welcome, Guinnesshero. Last night I had tempeh burritos with guacamole, salsa, greens, and tomato, with vegan carrot cake for dessert. I was in heaven. And that was all after swimming in the ocean at sunset. At one point, I lay on my back in the water and smiled at the sky. I felt lifted up and supported in every way and just so happy to be alive. I'm lucky to live in a time and place where I can make good choices. It made me feel happy and really good.
#14 Old 08-02-2008, 11:15 AM
Veggie Regular

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ght=earthlings

Here is a similar thread!

When I was attempting to go vegan I happened to stumble upon Earthlings over youtube. I didnt watch it at first until I found out alittle more about what I was getting into. Whoa! I felt soo hurt and overwhelmed watching it! It was weird because at the same time I felt guilty and angry and wanted to scream at humans, possibly hurt someone! Immediately after, instead of letting what non-vegan items I had run out, I stormed thru the kitchen and the rest of the house throwing away everything I could find that was from animals. Oh geez, that was such a nice relief!
#15 Old 08-02-2008, 11:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish they didn't go into politics at all. There was too much violence for my tastes, but I think it did a very good job of influencing people to change their diet if they're borderline vegetarian. I would recommend it to people who want to know why people are into the animal rights movement, but I honestly have doubts as to whether I'll watch it again.
#16 Old 08-02-2008, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm glad I hadn't watched Earthlings when I wasn't a vegan, or else I would have felt spectacularly guilty.
#17 Old 08-02-2008, 03:43 PM
Veggie Regular

It was another film I found heartbreaking to watch.

I really do question what is wrong with people.
#18 Old 08-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

It's delightful to read about the positive impact the film can have

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#19 Old 10-15-2008, 11:09 PM
Veggie Regular

i'm watching it right now, some amazing wonderful person finally posted it on youtube last week

EDT: i just saw the part about dolphins that's not right.
#20 Old 10-16-2008, 07:13 AM

Earthlings is good because, unlike other animal rights films, it doesn't try to gross out the viewer into submission with the footage, but explains why it's actually wrong to cause the animals that pain. Because a meat-eater could come back from watching Meet Your Meat and say 'Yeah, but humans are a higher life form blah blah so their suffering is worth my pleasure in this burger.' Earthlings is much more intellectually persuasive.

It is a bit long though, it's hard to make someone who doesn't care take 1 1/2 out of their time.

The bit with the skinned fox still blinking...I had to have a cry and a hug from my dog after that bit.
#21 Old 10-16-2008, 08:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rejey View Post

The bit with the skinned fox still blinking...I had to have a cry and a hug from my dog after that bit.

Oh my god, I want to cry just thinking of that... and it's been months since I've seen it.

I really want my boyfriend to watch it, but he won't watch it unless I watch it with him... And it was hard enough the first time! Soon, though...
#22 Old 10-16-2008, 01:27 PM
Veggie Regular

oh no...I don't think I could watch this film. I am starting to cry from just the little bits of images that are explained here. But I wish I could get my hubby to watch it....
#23 Old 10-16-2008, 06:38 PM

My mum said that after she watched this, she went to bed vegetarian.

But yeah... when she watched it, she wailed. It was upsetting.
#24 Old 10-16-2008, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

I bought the movie last thursday and I watched it thursday night, and then finished watchinh the rest of it on saturday morning. I cried during many parts of it.

I have an omni boyfriend who constantly argues that its ok to eat meat, and he tries so hard to justify his actions. So I asked him to watch the meat part. He watched most of that part, and I thought it had no impact on him at first.

But I was making a salad roll for lunch a few days ago and he asked if he could have a roll as well. So i made him one, and asked what kind of meat he wanted in it, and he replied none, he's have it with salad like mine.

He still eats meat, so I am NOT saying he is vegetarian, but he isn't questioning me asmuch since watching just those parts of the film.. and he seems to accept my choice more now.

I have a friend who says she wants to go vegetarian... so I am going to organize a night for her to watch the movie.

I think it could change the way so many people think.
#25 Old 10-16-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Due to this thread, I went and watched it. Not sure why. But words can't express how glad I am to be vegan (and to be able to be so).
#26 Old 10-16-2008, 10:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Earthlings is good because, unlike other animal rights films, it doesn't try to gross out the viewer into submission with the footage, but explains why it's actually wrong to cause the animals that pain...

i agree. although it was graphic they were basically saying, 'this is what happens and this is what it looks like.'

not necessarily screaming "GO VEGETARIAN!!" but you have to be pretty heartless to walk away unaffected.

Quote:

i saw that bit of footage before in a previous documentary. i definitely cried. imagine if somebody skinned you alive.. i'm baffled.

EDT: who else felt defeated after the escaped circus elephant was killed?
#27 Old 10-17-2008, 04:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Binary Dragon View Post

Due to this thread, I went and watched it. Not sure why. But words can't express how glad I am to be vegan (and to be able to be so).

I'm so glad I'm vegan.

If I wasn't vegan when I first saw it (or even if I wasn't yet vegetarian!!), I would've gone that way soon after watching it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lirpa1 View Post

I bought the movie last thursday and I watched it thursday night, and then finished watchinh the rest of it on saturday morning. I cried during many parts of it.

I have an omni boyfriend who constantly argues that its ok to eat meat, and he tries so hard to justify his actions. So I asked him to watch the meat part. He watched most of that part, and I thought it had no impact on him at first.

But I was making a salad roll for lunch a few days ago and he asked if he could have a roll as well. So i made him one, and asked what kind of meat he wanted in it, and he replied none, he's have it with salad like mine.

He still eats meat, so I am NOT saying he is vegetarian, but he isn't questioning me asmuch since watching just those parts of the film.. and he seems to accept my choice more now.

I have a friend who says she wants to go vegetarian... so I am going to organize a night for her to watch the movie.

I think it could change the way so many people think.

That's fantastic, babe...
#28 Old 10-17-2008, 04:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headxbanger View Post

EDT: who else felt defeated after the escaped circus elephant was killed?

Hell yes...
#29 Old 10-17-2008, 05:07 AM
Veggie Regular

Now I'm scared to watch it... But I will.

"May all that have life be delivered from suffering."
~ Buddha
#30 Old 10-17-2008, 06:31 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm gonna watch it this weekend.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page