Are We Pale? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-30-2008, 02:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Part of the stereotype posed against vegans is that we're pasty-skinned--for nutritional reasons or whatever it happens to be--we're pale. And just looking around at vegan blogs and vegan food blogs I start to think...what a bunch of pasty mother expletives. I personally go out of my way to get a tan in order to belie this stereotype (and for the same reason I try to stay away from yoga and not say "man" too often in a long, drawn out sort of way). I'm mostly an indoors kind of guy, so I'd be pale if I didn't, but I consider getting a tan part of the greater cause of promoting veganism.

And so I'm wondering, Are You Pale? Are We Pale?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-30-2008, 02:27 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm white but I'm not pale
#3 Old 07-30-2008, 02:37 AM
Banned

Most stereotypes are created to be derogatory: Italians talk with their hands, Germans have no sense of humour, Brits have funny teeth, Americans are fat etc etc. They are all false and used as way to insult people. The pale vegetarian stereotype is meant as an insult and should be treated as such.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-30-2008, 02:59 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

I'm pale. With the amount of Norse blood running in my veins I doubt I'd ever be anything but some shade of "pale", even if I lived outdoors 24/7 and subsisted solely on meat. I do have "roses" in my cheeks, though. I'm certainly not "pasty". If you want to go MrFalafel's route and call a foul I'm saying that "pale = unhealthy" is a negative stereotype in itself. You don't need a bottle of fake tan to be beautiful.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#5 Old 07-30-2008, 03:01 AM

i have olive skin... so i guess i'm not pale :P

but i'd have to agree with mrfalafal
#6 Old 07-30-2008, 03:03 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm somewhat tan. Depends on the year and how much I get out in the summer. But I'm definately not pale. I used to be, but haven't been accused of that for years!

Sometimes I'm a shade of orange though... Its kind of wierd, I'm not sure if its from my run in with a tinted moisturizer (i had to moisturize and its all there was and i figured one application wouldnt do anything..) or if its cus i eat funny? At first the moisturizer was the obvious culprit but I get accused of orangeness sometimes and its been months since the misshap!

edit: and i realize my avatar makes me look somewhat pale... that must be the lighting?
#7 Old 07-30-2008, 04:09 AM
Bof
Banned

A good tan for people with fair complexions often leads to skin cancer.

I used to hang out with a Chinese girl in Kuala Lumpur who would go to great lengths to stay out of the sun because being tanned indicated that one worked outdoors and therefore lower class.

In any even, it's nothing to do with diet unless someone is extremely malnourished.
#8 Old 07-30-2008, 04:19 AM
Veggie Regular

One of my old friends is pale and he's a proud carni
#9 Old 07-30-2008, 04:23 AM

Ive always been a little pale (even years ago as meat eater), but at the moment ive got a little brown in the face from being in the sun, which people always say makes me look healthier, proving people see pale as being ill !!!

its not down to my diet though that im pale.
#10 Old 07-30-2008, 04:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm very pale and always have been even as an omni kid. My paleness has nothing to do with being a vegan. I'm also not a fan of the sun or a "fake and bake" tan so even in the summer I look like a ghost.
#11 Old 07-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Beginner

I'm quite pale, however, this is because my dad is very pale and I inherited that gene. Since i've been vegetarian (and eventually vegan) i've got no paler.

I suppose it would be possible for a vegetarian or vegan to be pale if they weren't getting enough sunlight, but it would also have the same effect on an omnivore.

I hate stereotypes!
#12 Old 07-30-2008, 05:01 AM
Baby Love

A lot of vegetarians are health-conscious, so it would make sense that they would take care of their skin, protect themselves from the sun, not fake tan, etc. I was born pale and I'm not going to make myself something I'm not just to please others. Why are you so concerned with avoiding activities that might somehow be associated with being vegetarian to someone who is determined to pre-judge? Yoga is fun, but I personally don't use 'man' unless I'm referring to a man. I don't think I've ever met a veg who overuses the word
#13 Old 07-30-2008, 05:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I used to hang out with a Chinese girl in Kuala Lumpur who would go to great lengths to stay out of the sun because being tanned indicated that one worked outdoors and therefore lower class.

I always tell people who call me pale that I'm a princess who can't be bothered to associate with the commoners in the field. =P

Seriously, though? I'm Irish and German, I have blonde hair and blue eyes; it'd be weird if I wasn't pale.
#14 Old 07-30-2008, 06:20 AM
Ankle Biter

I'm pale, but I'm healthy and I look it!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#15 Old 07-30-2008, 06:23 AM

I'm pale and Proud! And I can't tan even if I wanted to. Anyway I'd rather fake tan. Its healthier then doing it the cancer way!
#16 Old 07-30-2008, 06:30 AM

I don't think I'm pale at all.

It's winter time atm, and usually around that time, I go pretty pale. I don't think I look any paler than past winters.
#17 Old 07-30-2008, 06:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm super pale. I nearly glow in the dark. So is my mom, and she eats meat. Woahh genetics at work.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#18 Old 07-30-2008, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I am far from pale, at least this time of year.

I run outside, the tan part is just something that happens.

#19 Old 07-30-2008, 07:36 AM
Beginner

I am certainly not pale

lol
#20 Old 07-30-2008, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular

<-- I'm pretty pale. But it's mainly because I don't get any sunlight in the sewers.

"and I stand

upon a mountain

made of weak and useless men"

#21 Old 07-30-2008, 09:26 AM
Beginner

Well, considering I'm German/English, yeah, I tend to run pale. I do, however, spend as much time in the sun as possible so I'm usually slightly burnt. I can't help it, I crave sunlight.
#22 Old 07-30-2008, 09:38 AM
Beginner

I'm pale, but also a red head.
#23 Old 07-30-2008, 09:44 AM
Veggie Regular

I've always been pale, pre-veg and post-veg. I don't look any different than I ever did.

Pale doesn't mean unhealthy either.
#24 Old 07-30-2008, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, let me link to some of the stuff that prompted this discussion.

I'm quite concerned for Ms. Kaminsky here: http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com...aking-whoopie/

and while Lori might be pleasantly plump, she's also rather pale: http://pleasantlyplumpvegan.blogspot.com/

Even Lolo, whose blog I enjoy immensely, is a little fair skinned: http://veganyumyum.com/about/

As for the question "Why are you so concerned with avoiding activities that might somehow be associated with being vegetarian to someone who is determined to pre-judge?" I think that's an endearing way of looking at the world, but everyone prejudges--that's the first thing you learn in Public Speaking courses. It's merely our responsibility to take advantage of this constraint and make a good first impression. I'd rather not give anyone any exigent reasons for not becoming vegetarian. As far as being an arbiter of veg*ism in our everyday lives goes, saying "pish-shaw" to people who would judge us for superficial reasons is like going to a job interview and saying "pish-shaw" to the interviewer for not being able to see through your unkempt appearance to the "real" you.
#25 Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I would say I was pale but not in an unhealthy way. Just my natural colouring.
#26 Old 07-30-2008, 11:14 AM

I always get realllllly pale in the winter, but I think I look paler because a lot of my friends go tanning which makes me stand out even more... But i didn't look any paler after becoming veg. I think as long as you do it right, and eat healthy you'll look healthy.
#27 Old 07-30-2008, 11:34 AM
Baby Love

Lori and Lolo aren't paler than the average meat-eating person with northern European ancestry.

While I'm not oblivious to the fact there is some pre-judging involved with meeting any person, there are varying levels in the degree you change yourself to appeal to others. The people most determined to be prejudice will be prejudice despite your best efforts to outwit there misguided thoughts. Everyone has to decide where to draw the line for themselves. Basic hygiene is a good thing that most people appreciate, as is age/event appropriate clothing. Physically changing your body, avoiding healthy activities you'd enjoy, putting yourself at risk, etc. is a completely different matter.
#28 Old 07-30-2008, 12:01 PM

I am definitely pale, even in the summer...not in an unhealthy way though, I think. I'm positive that it has nothing to do with being vegan, because I always have been, even before I went vegetarian.

I often have people (omnis) using it as 'proof' that my diet is bad, unnatural etc.
#29 Old 07-30-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I come from a long line of very pale people... It's in my ancestry...

Plus i'm partially "ginger".

I have a lot of red in my hair, It's just over powered by the black unless I stay in the sun... a summer in the sun and I become a redhead. I've also got the whole Irish frickled look going on in my facial area... I don't tan evenly and I burn easily, So it's easier to just avoid tanning. Plus, I like the pale look on me. It looks natrual.

And as was said above that I neglected to quote (sorry), It's just a sterotype. A way for uneducated, Ignorant people to try and hurt us.
#30 Old 07-30-2008, 12:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd consider myself pale, but that's been the case for as long as I can remember. I've never heard of that steryotype before.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page