Are We Pale? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-30-2008, 12:19 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm pale. I was pale when I ate meat, and still am pale now that I don't. I also have red hair, blue eyes, and freckles, and would probably look freaky if I were darkly tanned. Pale is part of the package, and a good one at that.

I don't understand what the problem is with being pale anyway. Pish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-30-2008, 02:12 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlainWinthrope View Post

Okay, let me link to some of the stuff that prompted this discussion.

I'm quite concerned for Ms. Kaminsky here: http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com...aking-whoopie/

and while Lori might be pleasantly plump, she's also rather pale: http://pleasantlyplumpvegan.blogspot.com/

Even Lolo, whose blog I enjoy immensely, is a little fair skinned: http://veganyumyum.com/about/

Oh my God! White folks! Run for the hills!

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#33 Old 07-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Im not pale, I never have been. The only thing was the weight lose. I think people are different, may not because your a vege or not
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-30-2008, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

Most stereotypes are created to be derogatory: Italians talk with their hands, Germans have no sense of humour, Brits have funny teeth, Americans are fat etc etc. They are all false and used as way to insult people. The pale vegetarian stereotype is meant as an insult and should be treated as such.

Hey, some stereotypes come from places of truth, though. For instance, Americans are obese in greater numbers than residents of almost any other country, so the stereotype about Americans being fat does come from somewhere, even though only something like 30% of us are actually fat.

Personally, I'm slightly thin and light skinned, but not to the point of being called pale.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

I'm somewhat tan. Depends on the year and how much I get out in the summer. But I'm definately not pale. I used to be, but haven't been accused of that for years!

Sometimes I'm a shade of orange though... Its kind of wierd, I'm not sure if its from my run in with a tinted moisturizer (i had to moisturize and its all there was and i figured one application wouldnt do anything..) or if its cus i eat funny? At first the moisturizer was the obvious culprit but I get accused of orangeness sometimes and its been months since the misshap!

edit: and i realize my avatar makes me look somewhat pale... that must be the lighting?

Orange? From eating too many carrots, perhaps?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I used to hang out with a Chinese girl in Kuala Lumpur who would go to great lengths to stay out of the sun because being tanned indicated that one worked outdoors and therefore lower class.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spooky Potatoes View Post

I always tell people who call me pale that I'm a princess who can't be bothered to associate with the commoners in the field. =P

I didn't know that Chinese people had that stereotype, too. That was definitely a European thing, though. Being fair skinned was associated with being higher class, and it was considered more attractive. Thus the Snow White stereotype: "Who's the fairest of them all?" used to really be about who had the palest skin, and it was considered a positive attribute.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sevenseas View Post

<-- I'm pretty pale. But it's mainly because I don't get any sunlight in the sewers.

With the clown makeup on, who can tell?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

Oh my God! White folks! Run for the hills!

Quoting Iron Maiden?

--Fromper

#35 Old 07-30-2008, 02:30 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

MY concern is why people assume people eaters are always purple. What is with that stereotype? Seriously, why is it always the purple people eater, huh? That's the real discrimination right there. How often do you see a green people eater? Huh? Huh?

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#36 Old 07-30-2008, 03:00 PM
Bof
Banned

It's better to be pale than to kick the bucket.
#37 Old 07-30-2008, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

I have always been very pale.. as an omni and now as a vegan!
#38 Old 07-30-2008, 07:30 PM

I'm pale (Northern European) and I do yoga. What does doing yoga have to do with this anyway?!

(Sorry I posted here - I have an almost vegan diet. I'm working on it. I forgot where I was! My apologies. I'm still pale)
#39 Old 07-30-2008, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

It's better to be pale than to kick the bucket.

hell yeah!!
#40 Old 07-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I usually tan naturally in the summer. So no, I'm not pale. ^_^

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
#41 Old 07-30-2008, 11:07 PM
Veggie Regular

A lot of the vegetarians out here are very tan, because they are original hippies who have spent the last 30 years as nomads on the beach. In Surf City, everyone has a bit of color, except the people who chose to be pale.
#42 Old 07-31-2008, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular

I am not vegan, and only been a vegetarian since this past November, but on behalf of all vegans & in their defense, I am pale... I am white, white, white! My sister and I take after our mom's side...white, white, white, and I stay out of the sun. My brother is olive like my European-born dad was.

I was pale when I was a kid, when I was a teen, just a few months ago - all the time I was an omni, and now, I am still pale. If I ever go strict vegetarian, I shall still be pale. LOL...
#43 Old 08-01-2008, 09:49 AM

I'm very fair skinned, but I think that's a family trait!
#44 Old 08-02-2008, 05:30 PM

I am vegan and I am definately not pale

I spend summers outside with my kids.

We all wear sunscreen, but by midsummer

we are very tan. So at least for me that sterotype

does not fit - though I do get the picky eater one ALL THE TIME!
#45 Old 08-02-2008, 08:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd say that I have less melanin per unit of skin area than the average human being, but that's mainly because I carry a variety of hereditary mutations developed by my ancestors thousands of years ago which trades increased vulnerability to sun damage for improved efficiency in vitamin D synthesis. It's not an unmitigatedly great tradeoff, but it's one which gives me no real cause for complaint.
#46 Old 08-03-2008, 08:07 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm usually quite pale as I prefer to have as few chances of skin cancer as possible. That's me in the avatar...what I look like when I've GOT some color. Normally, I'd blend into that white background. My arms are really quite brown though...and the tops of my feet are brown. Another stereotype I live up to is being thin. But, I've always been thin and was pale for years before becoming vegan.
#47 Old 08-03-2008, 05:37 PM
Beginner

I'm black, so I don't really have that issue...unless I end up like Micheal Jackson... o.o;;
#48 Old 08-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Banned

i'm pretty pasty. i'd prefer to be pastier though, and enhance it a smidge with makeup. i'm not a big fan of the orange look on naturally pale people (they look like they've OD-ed on carrots), and especially of that look on me- it'd totally clash with my natural hair colour (wishy washy sandy blonde/red) and my eye colour (slate grey/blue) and i like the 'pale and interesting' look.

i don't associate being pale with sickness, i associate it with northern european ancestry. i do associate obvious suntans on naturally pale people with skin cancer, damaged skin, early wrinkles, pain, tenderness and peeling skin though.

the people in your links do look like normal white people to me. the first girl does look very pale, but her surname combined with her colouring and especially her hair makes me think she may be of polish decent. i went to school with a few polish kids and they had the most beautiful porcelain skin, thick black corkscrew curled hair, and piercing bright blue eyes. i was so envious of their colouring.

.... and now i have iron maiden in my head. yay.
#49 Old 08-03-2008, 06:28 PM

I have quite the farmer's tan currently due to working outside, so I tan easily. I have a somewhat pale complexion to start with, but I haven't noticed any difference in skin colour since turning vegan.

I don't think skin colour has very much to do with your diet. Someone probably just found a couple vegans who happened to be fair skinned and started a stereotype.
#50 Old 08-03-2008, 06:30 PM

I've always been very dark. My sisters and I always got mistaken for being of asian decent because we also have very little eyes. But I'm german. I once dated this guy for a few months, and like a month in, he was going to meet my parents, and on the way there, he asked "so which one of your parents is asian?" And I'm like, "dude, both my parents have blonde hair and blue eyes."

Not that I mind when people make this mistake. I know some really attractive asian-americans.
#51 Old 08-04-2008, 08:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Heheh... I'm less pale because I'm summer jobbing is up at a small organic farm (yay me!) this year, and no matter how much sunscreen I put on I still at least tan. Also I don't like wearing long-sleeved anything in the summer, dammit. lol Some farmer I am.

But I'm really fair-skinned, naturally- not freckly like some redheads, but still I burn easily. I've always been pretty pale, I suppose... you know, red hair and all.

One shouldn't tan for the sake of looks- stay out of the damn sun already. Especially if skin cancer runs in your family.

Huh! Funny that you're dark-skinned, DaraMarie- I'm primarialy German and of European descent, and I've met a few German folks (directly or indirectly) with hair red as mine. *Shrug* But it's a big country. lol
#52 Old 08-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

......and not say "man" too often in a long, drawn out sort of way). ....

And no, I am not pale. Sometimes, in the dead of winter I can be, but I get pretty brown pretty quickly as soon as I see sun.
#53 Old 08-04-2008, 08:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

...Sometimes I'm a shade of orange though... Its kind of wierd, I'm not sure if its from my run in with a tinted moisturizer (i had to moisturize and its all there was and i figured one application wouldnt do anything..) or if its cus i eat funny? At first the moisturizer was the obvious culprit but I get accused of orangeness sometimes and its been months since the misshap! ..

This could be carrots? I know my knuckles can go kind of orangey when I've been eating a lot of them. And my mom's hands used to go all over a pale shade of orange from chowing on carrot sticks.
#54 Old 08-04-2008, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

....Even Lolo, whose blog I enjoy immensely, is a little fair skinned: http://veganyumyum.com/about/....

I don't think she looks pale. She looks happy, and cute.
#55 Old 08-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Hat View Post

....(Sorry I posted here - I have an almost vegan diet. I'm working on it. I forgot where I was! My apologies. I'm still pale)

You can post here. You don't have to be vegan to post here, it's just a forum for vegan topics. You can post anywhere but the teen forum or the women's forum. (assuming you're an old man.....)
#56 Old 08-05-2008, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

Eh I think it's mainly genetics.

When it comes to tans, I don't get why dead skin is so attractive.
#57 Old 08-05-2008, 06:07 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm so fair that I've been told I glow in the dark. But I've been like that my whole life, it has nothing to do with my diet!
#58 Old 08-06-2008, 10:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaraMarie View Post

I've always been very dark. My sisters and I always got mistaken for being of asian decent because we also have very little eyes. But I'm german. I once dated this guy for a few months, and like a month in, he was going to meet my parents, and on the way there, he asked "so which one of your parents is asian?" And I'm like, "dude, both my parents have blonde hair and blue eyes."

Not that I mind when people make this mistake. I know some really attractive asian-americans.

Off topic, but that reminds me of something that happened to my sister. We're American Jews of typical Eastern European heritage, but she has black hair, and has occasionally been mistaken for Hispanic. One day on the train (Chicago "el"), an older Hispanic woman started talking to her in Spanish. When my sister said that she doesn't speak Spanish, the woman got mad at her and complained about how kids these days are turning their back on their Hispanic heritage.

--Fromper

#59 Old 08-06-2008, 10:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I have an olive skin tone, no matter how "pale" I get I never look translucent or ghostly.

There are a lot of natural born blondes in my family and myself and one other sister(7 of us) were born with dark hair and olive skin, the rest are pretty fair. I don't believe my skin tone has anything to do with my diet, I look the same as i've always.
#60 Old 08-06-2008, 10:30 AM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Off topic, but that reminds me of something that happened to my sister. We're American Jews of typical Eastern European heritage, but she has black hair, and has occasionally been mistaken for Hispanic.

My husband has the opposite problem. He's light-skinned hispanic with black hair, but people think he's Jewish/ of Eastern European ancestry. His brother on the other hand is dark-skinned hispanic with very coarse dark hair and people think he's African-American.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page