Basket of Vegan Goods in your hometown - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-29-2008, 06:17 PM
Beginner

Hi All me again

I am starting a tread here to find out the cost of a basket of vegan goods for a week in your hometown for us as a group to come together to give ideas in how to cut cost with not hurting ur health.

Hometown:Bridgetown Barbados

2 cans chick peas 1.24 cents usd

gluten flour 16 oz 2.50 cents

grapes 4.00 kilo per pound

lettuce romaine 4 usd

strawberries 7 usd for a little basket

cherries 12 usd for 1/4 pound

brown rice 2.00 per pack

thahini 12 usd per bottle

quiona 3 usd per pack

soy milk 28 usd for 12 in a case

oatbran organic

Assorted vegetables 20 usd per week

So I spend about 100 usd per week in groceries

which is 200 barbados dollars a week

I think minimum wage I think is 500 usd per month and maybe I am being too nice

So when rent and if I had kids and bills came in with that you see my problem.

Help

I need ways to stop breaking the bank and still remaining vegan

I have lasted 2 years but the prices are going way up.

This is just general

I spend about
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-29-2008, 06:47 PM

Well, I haven't been vegan for very long, but I've been vegetarian (no dairy) since the beginning of the year, and I watch my grocery bill pretty closely so maybe I can help? Here are some things that I've been doing to help cut grocery sticker shock. As it is, my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 toddlers) spends about $100 a week on groceries.

Do you have grocery flyers each week with sales? I plan meals using the sale flyers and weekly specials. If there's a sale on something we use often (canned black beans, canned tomatos, etc) I stock up when they're on sale.

I tend to buy fruits/veggies in season. For example, right now items like tomatos, sweet corn, onions, melons, and different types of lettuce are in season so that's the bulk of my fresh fruit/veggies. I can usually get those types of foods in the winter, but they're much more expensive. Fruits/veggies that are grown locally seem to be a better deal too, so I check out the farmer's markets as much as I can.

When I need a little variety at a lower cost, I turn to the freezer. I'd much rather have fresh, but in the middle of winter it's tough to find much variety in fresh produce.

I shop around to some extent. With gas prices I don't go from store to store as much as I used to, but some items are cheaper in certain stores. I buy bulk when I can for things like rice and beans.

Does any of this help? I know there's also a frugal board on this forum that you might want to check out, too.
#3 Old 07-29-2008, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not (yet) 100% vegan, but my grocery shopping pretty much is, as I really only eat dairy and eggs outside the home. I spend about $100 a week too. Lately it's been more because we just moved, so I'm restocking our kitchen with spices, oils, flours and basic things of that sort that we had to toss when we were packing.

I buy pretty much ALL organic, and local when I can. Always fresh fruits/veggies in season; I just can't bring myself to eat raspberries from Chile in January. =P Honestly I don't worry too much about the cost of my food. By grocery shopping instead of eating out or ordering takeout, I'm already saving a ton. I figure there's not much more important than feeding myself well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-29-2008, 08:31 PM
Banned

Well if you could get them , buy sesame seeds and make your own tahini , you would have to cost it out to see if its cheaper

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dips...hinirecipe.htm

Your cherries , strawberries , grapes sound like a personal treat and thats good but maybe you could look at just buying the seasonal fruits that are grown in your country (although the grapes , strawberries cherries could be home grown in your country) it seems top money to be spending .

You spend top money on soya milk , I was at a retreat once and they went through gallons of soya milk a day , so they purchases a commercial soya milk maker from the USA for 250$ USA , o/k big money , but in the long run it would cut cost as long as you could source soya beans . If you have a blender you can make your own soya milk , but I think you need a pressure cooker .

Heres one for $100

http://www.soymilkmaker.com/index.html

Also you can make Tofu , its quite easy and much cheaper .I haven't made it in ages , but mine was heaps better than commercial ....there are recipes on VB

Chickpeas , you can soak , boil your own . Then with your tahini and chickpeas you are in the land of never ending humus .

Can you grow your own lettuce ?
#5 Old 07-30-2008, 01:44 AM
Banned

^^+1

Dried beans cost a fraction of canned beans.

Start your own small veg garden box like this: http://www.squarefootgardening.com/ for lettuce, spring onions, radishes etc.

Frozen fruit is cheaper than fresh and just as healthy.

That sure is a lot of soy milk! A soy milk maker as suggested would really bring those costs down. Also, why not try making your own oat milk? http://www.godairyfree.org/Recipes/M...heat-Free.html
#6 Old 07-30-2008, 03:02 AM

Are you able to start growing your own veg? its been a very good idea, I have very little money so cant afford fruit and veg, In the shop it costs nearly £2.00 to buy 2 little gem lettuces, well for £1.35 I have bought the seeds which containing a couple of hundred!!! I have made a huge saving on lettuce alone.

(I dont do bigger lettuce as they go of before i eat all of it myself, causing to much waste)

My sister has 3 small kids and has turned her front garden into a veg garden, she now has potatoes, onions, carrots, peas, radish, lettuce and more for a fraction of the cost, she was reluctant at first to bother and was embarrassed what friends and neighbors would think but times are hard and shes saved a lot of money and there were times when that is all she had to eat, if they hadn't been growing she would have gone without food that day.
#7 Old 07-30-2008, 03:38 AM
Beginner

yes I have my own garden and i have lettuce and all my herbs growing

I am currently between homes since I am immigrating in a few months

My dad is building a green house so that they could reduce their veggie bill.

Yes dried peas are cheaper but the gas u need to use to cook it until it is soft is another issue
#8 Old 07-30-2008, 04:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanveggie83 View Post

Yes dried peas are cheaper but the gas u need to use to cook it until it is soft is another issue

Yes that is a good point
#9 Old 07-30-2008, 05:46 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajanveggie83 View Post

yes I have my own garden and i have lettuce and all my herbs growing

I am currently between homes since I am immigrating in a few months

My dad is building a green house so that they could reduce their veggie bill.

Peas soaked for 12 hours cook in an hour on the hob in 40 minutes. What I do is cook a large amount of peas/beans and then store unused portions in the freezer for other meals: one batch of cooking for several meals.

Also, if you have a slow cooker/crockpot, you can boil the soaked peas for 5 minutes and then put them in the slow cooker for a few hours which is a very energy efficient way to cook them.
#10 Old 07-30-2008, 10:11 AM

Ditto the the suggestions on fruit. It's the killer in our grocery budget as well. Buying seasonal items makes a huge difference in price.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 07-30-2008, 08:06 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtlegirl View Post

Well, I haven't been vegan for very long, but I've been vegetarian (no dairy) since the beginning of the year, and I watch my grocery bill pretty closely so maybe I can help? Here are some things that I've been doing to help cut grocery sticker shock. As it is, my family of 4 (2 adults, 2 toddlers) spends about $100 a week on groceries.

Do you have grocery flyers each week with sales? I plan meals using the sale flyers and weekly specials. If there's a sale on something we use often (canned black beans, canned tomatos, etc) I stock up when they're on sale.

I tend to buy fruits/veggies in season. For example, right now items like tomatos, sweet corn, onions, melons, and different types of lettuce are in season so that's the bulk of my fresh fruit/veggies. I can usually get those types of foods in the winter, but they're much more expensive. Fruits/veggies that are grown locally seem to be a better deal too, so I check out the farmer's markets as much as I can.

When I need a little variety at a lower cost, I turn to the freezer. I'd much rather have fresh, but in the middle of winter it's tough to find much variety in fresh produce.

I shop around to some extent. With gas prices I don't go from store to store as much as I used to, but some items are cheaper in certain stores. I buy bulk when I can for things like rice and beans.

Does any of this help? I know there's also a frugal board on this forum that you might want to check out, too.

yes it helps a little

I am in Barbados now and we do not have those supermarket flyers because it is too expensive to print I guess

it is not like north america and europe but the supermarkets are just as big and nice as u guys.

All fruits are imported all

we have local stuff like mangoes and there are some vendors who sell them at high prices and I refuse to buy 2 mangoes that are tiny for 1 usd

madness

i buy in bulk too but it really does not help the prices are hot!!

but thanks

this info would help if I was immigrating to the states

I am immigrating but not to north america

I wonder what horrors I will be posting abt when I get there

Thanks a bunch
#12 Old 07-30-2008, 08:09 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Well if you could get them , buy sesame seeds and make your own tahini , you would have to cost it out to see if its cheaper

http://mideastfood.about.com/od/dips...hinirecipe.htm

Your cherries , strawberries , grapes sound like a personal treat and thats good but maybe you could look at just buying the seasonal fruits that are grown in your country (although the grapes , strawberries cherries could be home grown in your country) it seems top money to be spending .

You spend top money on soya milk , I was at a retreat once and they went through gallons of soya milk a day , so they purchases a commercial soya milk maker from the USA for 250$ USA , o/k big money , but in the long run it would cut cost as long as you could source soya beans . If you have a blender you can make your own soya milk , but I think you need a pressure cooker .

Heres one for $100

http://www.soymilkmaker.com/index.html

Also you can make Tofu , its quite easy and much cheaper .I haven't made it in ages , but mine was heaps better than commercial ....there are recipes on VB

Chickpeas , you can soak , boil your own . Then with your tahini and chickpeas you are in the land of never ending humus .

Can you grow your own lettuce ?

i grow my own lettuce now

beets

eggplant

melon

and all my herbs

this is saving me a lot

I saw a man on www.everydaydish.tv make his own soymilk

from the beans and just boiled it.

I said I will start doing that

I do not drink all that milk in one week

heavens no!

it last me like a month

I barely drink it

I wanna make my own thahini

can u explain to me how to make tofu at home

would be super and my fiance would be impressed

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page