Killing Bugs - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
#1 Old 07-15-2008, 04:48 PM
DAK
Banned
 
DAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 40
Am I the only one who catches bugs and puts them outside when I find one in the house? I did this since even before I became vegetarian/vegan.



Also, for people who don't like killing bugs, what do you do if you accidentally kill a bug, which is almost impossible to avoid, especially if you drive, in which case you kill bugs all the time? I don't do much. I just say "oops" to myself and continue on.
DAK is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#2 Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mrrple's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 2,562
It's inevitable. If I accidentally kill a bug, it saddens me a little but otherwise I'm fine. You can't stop all suffering, and you can only do what you can.



The one creature that I purposely kill are spiders, because of my extreme phobia of them. I wish I didn't have such a phobia, but if I don't kill them my brain is convinced they will come after me and eat me from the inside out.
Mrrple is offline  
#3 Old 07-15-2008, 04:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
cstadt's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 1,992
I'm pretty undecided here. There's no way I could catch a cockroach-- I couldn't get near enough to them to catch or kill them. I'm scared of them... I catch spiders and put them outside. I did kill an earwhig/pincer bug thing the other day with my boyfriend's shoe. Those scare me too, but I felt bad after killing it.



Can't avoid killing bugs with cars.. I try not to notice it. My boyfriend hit a butterfly the other day and it was pretty preserved; we buried it. Is that a little silly?
cstadt is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#4 Old 07-15-2008, 05:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,955
I take them all outside except in winter when I put them in the furnace room. The ants I leave alone because they come inside sometimes and look around but if there's no food around they just leave. I take the winged ants outside.



I catch spiders, beetles, earwigs, etc. and take them out. I rescue ants from the toilet. Insects are my buds.



If I accidentally kill one I don't sweat it.
Mr. Sun is offline  
#5 Old 07-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Veggie Regular
 
AberrantBliss's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Hyrule
Posts: 205
Yeah, I never kill bugs on purpose if they get inside. Big spiders I just leave alone. I'm not afraid of them, but I don't want to touch them lol. I usually take smaller bugs outside, like spiders and stuff. I don't like purposely killing them. But you can't help it most of the time.



<3<3
AberrantBliss is offline  
#6 Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
whyiveg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 82
yea i don't kill bugs either. i dont think it is silly to bury a butterfly. my cousin preserves them in glass cases if she finds them dead.

i think it may be a bit silly when i get sad if my boyfriend drives over roadkill (i always try to avoid it) because the animal is already dead. but then i think if i were dead would i want to be trampled over again and again? so...
whyiveg is offline  
#7 Old 07-15-2008, 05:46 PM
Newbie
 
Magic Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 53
Just last night around 2 in the morning a spider rushed up the wall behind my head as I was lying in bed. So I got an empty shoebox, scooped it in with the lid and dropped it on the grass in my front yard. If any neighbors were up, they probably now think I'm insane. I like bugs, but I will not touch them.



So I am also not bug killer. Especially spiders, since they're so cool.
Magic Hat is offline  
#8 Old 07-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
easyemu15's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 349
I think that if an insect is injured badly you should put it out of its misery because it will just die slowly and painfully. But I'm not a heartless animal killer!!! (EMUS MATE AGAIN)
easyemu15 is offline  
#9 Old 07-15-2008, 06:10 PM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
I am much more considerate of bugs since joining VB. Despite the fact that I fear most of them, particularly daddy long-legged spiders and centipedes, I absolutely save any that I am able to. I saved my very first daddy long-legged spider two weeks ago, and it was HUGE!!!! (the spider, not the fact that I saved it). I was very pleased with myself. And today, I saw a worm (ewwww) struggling to get out of the sun so I helped him to the dirt in the shade. That was really weird for me but I hate when you see them all dried up and dead. So thanks, VB!
karenlovessnow is offline  
#10 Old 07-15-2008, 06:40 PM
Veggie Regular
 
jenna's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 8,489
i catch/help what i can, but i have no problems killing mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, mites. everything else i try to catch to put outside and keep away from the cats, too.
jenna is offline  
#11 Old 07-15-2008, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

I am much more considerate of bugs since joining VB. Despite the fact that I fear most of them, particularly daddy long-legged spiders and centipedes, I absolutely save any that I am able to. I saved my very first daddy long-legged spider two weeks ago, and it was HUGE!!!! (the spider, not the fact that I saved it). I was very pleased with myself. And today, I saw a worm (ewwww) struggling to get out of the sun so I helped him to the dirt in the shade. That was really weird for me but I hate when you see them all dried up and dead. So thanks, VB!



When I was a boy my dad taught me the fun of playing with daddy-long-legs. We would find them and poke them or something to get them to run and they could run really fast. So I was never scared of them. I don't like snakes, though, and lots of kids are taught to enjoy finding snakes.



On youtube there are videos of giant (two feet long) centipedes eating mice. Yuck.
Mr. Sun is offline  
#12 Old 07-15-2008, 07:22 PM
DAK
Banned
 
DAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by whyiveg View Post

yea i don't kill bugs either. i dont think it is silly to bury a butterfly. my cousin preserves them in glass cases if she finds them dead.

i think it may be a bit silly when i get sad if my boyfriend drives over roadkill (i always try to avoid it) because the animal is already dead. but then i think if i were dead would i want to be trampled over again and again? so...



If you were dead then I think you would be too...dead to care if you were trampled over.
DAK is offline  
#13 Old 07-15-2008, 07:25 PM
DAK
Banned
 
DAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyemu15 View Post

I think that if an insect is injured badly you should put it out of its misery because it will just die slowly and painfully. But I'm not a heartless animal killer!!! (EMUS MATE AGAIN)



I agree. At school somebody smashed a bee but it was still alive so I crushed its head because there was no way it was going to survive after being smashed. I felt bad doing it, but if I just had half my body smashed I would want to be put out of my misery.
DAK is offline  
#14 Old 07-15-2008, 07:27 PM
DAK
Banned
 
DAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

i catch/help what i can, but i have no problems killing mosquitoes, fleas, ticks, mites. everything else i try to catch to put outside and keep away from the cats, too.



I hate when my cats bring me presents.
DAK is offline  
#15 Old 07-15-2008, 07:29 PM
DAK
Banned
 
DAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

When I was a boy my dad taught me the fun of playing with daddy-long-legs. We would find them and poke them or something to get them to run and they could run really fast. So I was never scared of them. I don't like snakes, though, and lots of kids are taught to enjoy finding snakes.



On youtube there are videos of giant (two feet long) centipedes eating mice. Yuck.



My dad used to show me the "fun" in stepping on ant hills and watching the ants running around.
DAK is offline  
#16 Old 07-15-2008, 08:17 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Hey Dak! Welcome to VeggieBoards!



If you want to, you can multi-quote people by using the button right next to the quote button. It looks like a minus sign. You can click that for every post you want to "add" and then when you hit the quote button you can reply to all the posts you want at the same time. Keeps it nice and tidy



Again, welcome
Beachbnny is offline  
#17 Old 07-15-2008, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
veggielove's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Posts: 885
Am I the only admitted bug killer here??? lol.
veggielove is offline  
#18 Old 07-15-2008, 08:46 PM
Newbie
 
osito's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 76
i kill spiders because I'm scared of them. I kill mosquitos and ticks too but that's about it.
osito is offline  
#19 Old 07-15-2008, 08:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Am I the only admitted bug killer here??? lol.



Nope. We've had some threads here and sometimes it gets heated lol . I can't kill them. I just can't. But my Husband does and I don't really say anything depending on the bug. Some I can trap and release but I'm too scared for others.



I once trapped a spider under a glass while he was out of town. It stayed there for 2 days and I just felt awful. J got home and I didn't want him to kill the spider. He thought I was crazy but I can't kill anything.
Beachbnny is offline  
#20 Old 07-15-2008, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Hey Dak! Welcome to VeggieBoards!



If you want to, you can multi-quote people by using the button right next to the quote button. It looks like a minus sign. You can click that for every post you want to "add" and then when you hit the quote button you can reply to all the posts you want at the same time. Keeps it nice and tidy



Again, welcome



*tries this feature for the first time ever*



Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post

My dad used to show me the "fun" in stepping on ant hills and watching the ants running around.



Not fun for the ants. (couldn't think of anything else to say but I wanted to try out this feature)



Quote:
Originally Posted by veggielove View Post

Am I the only admitted bug killer here??? lol.



No.
Mr. Sun is offline  
#21 Old 07-15-2008, 09:04 PM
DAK
Banned
 
DAK's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

Hey Dak! Welcome to VeggieBoards!



If you want to, you can multi-quote people by using the button right next to the quote button. It looks like a minus sign. You can click that for every post you want to "add" and then when you hit the quote button you can reply to all the posts you want at the same time. Keeps it nice and tidy



Again, welcome



Thanks. I never knew about this feature, and it looks like some other people didn't either. But at least I got my post count up. :P
DAK is offline  
#22 Old 07-15-2008, 09:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post

Thanks. I never knew about this feature, and it looks like some other people didn't either. But at least I got my post count up. :P



It's a helpful little button It takes people awhile to figure it out though.
Beachbnny is offline  
#23 Old 07-15-2008, 11:22 PM
Newbie
 
antoine08's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 75
I try not to kill bugs as much as possible. When I run I must look like a crazy person to passers by because im stepping really funny to avoid ants/ant hills. The only time i kill bugs is when i drive or when i involuntary swat a mosquito or fly biting me.
antoine08 is offline  
#24 Old 07-15-2008, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,955
Quote:
Originally Posted by antoine08 View Post

I try not to kill bugs as much as possible. When I run I must look like a crazy person to passers by because im stepping really funny to avoid ants/ant hills. The only time i kill bugs is when i drive or when i involuntary swat a mosquito or fly biting me.



Probably not crazy -- just drunk.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

It's a helpful little button It takes people awhile to figure it out though.



You explained it so well though. I remember someone else telling another how to use it and I couldn't understand.
Mr. Sun is offline  
#25 Old 07-15-2008, 11:29 PM
Bof
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by cstadt View Post

I did kill an earwhig/pincer bug thing the other day with my boyfriend's shoe. Those scare me too, but I felt bad after killing it.





I think it's fine to beat an animal to death with a shoe if one feels bad about it afterwards.
Bof is offline  
#26 Old 07-15-2008, 11:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Beachbnny's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 3,875
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post


You explained it so well though. I remember someone else telling another how to use it and I couldn't understand.



Thanks It took me so long to figure it out that I try and pass on the knowledge.



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I think it's fine to beat an animal to death with a shoe if one feels bad about it afterwards.



It was you who posted this:

[attachment=7144:cockroach1[1].jpg]



And I haven't been the same since. I was never a bug killer (and I'm still not a fan of "palmetto" bugs) but that picture always stuck with me.
LL
Beachbnny is offline  
#27 Old 07-15-2008, 11:52 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Kristen4382's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 639
I try to catch whatever I can, spiders, moths, crickets, ants etc with plastic containers and cardboard... but cockroaches are my weakness. I know they didn't ask to be born cockroaches, but the way they run around scares the [email protected] out of me. If it's slow, and I feel ballsy, I try to catch it...otherwise I'll probably jump up on something [bench, bed, chair, whatever] and scream for someone to rescue me.



Occasionally I commit cockroach murder; if it's late at night, and everyone's asleep. We haven't had any for some time...great for the local cockroach population, and great for me. I'm pretty racist/speciesist when it comes to them. I am quite happy to house daddy long legs spiders in ceiling corners. I'll help out slugs and random grubs that get stuck outside, and I avoid ants on pavement. But put a cockroach in front of me and I will not rest until it is gone...and even then I'll be paranoid
Kristen4382 is offline  
#28 Old 07-16-2008, 12:00 AM
Bof
Banned
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 3,965
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post








It was you who posted this:

Attachment 12598



And I haven't been the same since. I was never a bug killer (and I'm still not a fan of "palmetto" bugs) but that picture always stuck with me.





I'm at a loss to understand your point (If there is one).
Bof is offline  
#29 Old 07-16-2008, 12:02 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mr. Sun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Posts: 4,955
Mr. Sun is offline  
#30 Old 07-16-2008, 12:23 AM
Veggie Regular
 
SomebodyElse's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: In a California Ghost Town
Posts: 7,245
I don't deliberately kill invertebrates. I don't even try to throw them out of the house, especially not spiders. Butterflies are the only ones I've ever helped back outside, because they can't survive indoors. And a giant sparrow-sized moth or two that came in after dark when the door was open in warm weather.



I'm not particularly infested though, probably because I leave the spiders alone. But I do keep petroleum based grease in the cracks the ants are liable to come through, because they won't walk on grease, and I freeze bulk foods as soon as I bring them home, to keep weevil and moth eggs from hatching. I've never seen a cockroach, but I suppose if I had them I would escort them out the door. But it doesn't bother me at all to share my domicile with tiny visitors.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
SomebodyElse is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off