Killing Bugs - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 07-16-2008, 12:29 AM
Veggie Regular

I try not to kill them but I know it can't be helped sometimes - especially when driving.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 07-16-2008, 12:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

Keeping out the cockroaches: http://www.health.state.ny.us/enviro...ests/roach.htm

Thank you! *saves to favourites*. Time to get the vacuum out before dinner methinks. Generally this is a tidy household, maybe they come through the garage door. My grandmother used to have heaps of roaches. She had a lot of clutter. Still does [but with less roaches now]. She's quite the hoarder. Used to have a pet poodle who would catch and eat the cockroaches. So disgusting! Wow I just made my family sound like bogans/rednecks.
#33 Old 07-16-2008, 01:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kristen4382 View Post

Thank you! *saves to favourites*. Time to get the vacuum out before dinner methinks. Generally this is a tidy household, maybe they come through the garage door. My grandmother used to have heaps of roaches. She had a lot of clutter. Still does [but with less roaches now]. She's quite the hoarder. Used to have a pet poodle who would catch and eat the cockroaches. So disgusting! Wow I just made my family sound like bogans/rednecks.

*wonders if Kristen's family home has a couch on the front lawn*
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 07-16-2008, 02:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

*tries this feature for the first time ever*

Quote:

*wonders if Kristen's family home has a couch on the front lawn*

*wonders if she's in the wrong thread*

*wonders if she's getting it right, finally*

OT, I know...sorry!
#35 Old 07-16-2008, 04:17 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by DAK View Post

Am I the only one who catches bugs and puts them outside when I find one in the house? I did this since even before I became vegetarian/vegan.

Also, for people who don't like killing bugs, what do you do if you accidentally kill a bug, which is almost impossible to avoid, especially if you drive, in which case you kill bugs all the time? I don't do much. I just say "oops" to myself and continue on.

Yeah, that pretty much describes it. I encourage spiders though. I really like spiders and they kill all the bugs for me. It works out.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#36 Old 07-16-2008, 04:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't come across many bugs but I never kill any I do find. Spiders I leave because they're usually really fast and I can't catch them anyway, they don't scare me so I quite like having them around.

I only really send something outside if it would be better off out of my house. I've had to save many a bug in my university halls because two people there REALLY hate them. Whenever I heard screaming I'd come out of my room and see them stamping their feet trying to squash them They hardly ever managed to kill them though. At least not when I was around

I know I must accidentally kill bugs a lot, I'm sorry I do but I can't constantly blame myself and worry about it. It's one of those things that can't be helped unfortunately.
#37 Old 07-16-2008, 05:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I still kill mosquitoes out of reflex. Luckily, by the time I've slapped myself silly (out of reflex), they've already moved on. Most likely to another spot on my body.

I don't kill spiders (which aren't insects, so shouldn't count here), but I prefer to get them out of my house. This is mainly because I don't know enough about them to know which ones are venomous. That is something I should probably learn rather than treating them all like they've got the power to maim me for life. Or kill me.

I kill ticks. When I went camping a few months back, O and I were constantly brushing them off...at first. We would even toss them out of the tent. That was the first night. Then we realized that we'd have ten new ones on us every two minutes. And they didn't have the same body privacy issues we did. We started killing them. Eventually, the ticks won and we left.

I kill cockroaches. My apartment is always infested with them thanks to my neighbors. Actually, the entire apartment complex is infested with them....they even live outside! I saw something golden brown moving in the grass yesterday and squatted down to get a better look...it was a huge cockroach. *shudder* If they'd stay in the kitchen and only come out during the night, I could deal with it. But, they crawl on me. They go to every part of the apartment. Major heebie jeebies. I try to just avoid them, but if they are in the sink, I DO turn on the water and the garbage disposal.

I guess killing cockroaches, mosquitoes and ticks is rather hypocritical of me, especially considering that I go out of my way to save other insects. Oh well. I also used to eat animals. I'm still evolving. I'll get there eventually.
#38 Old 07-16-2008, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay stupid question time.

I will admit that I am not overly cautious about killing bugs. Most of the time I am more than willing to live and let live. A few exceptions are when I find black widow spiders in the house. I have small animals who could be made quite ill from a black widow bite so I dispatch those. I also don't worry about killing fleas or ticks as those can also make my companion animals sick.

But what about insect infestations in a house? Let's say termites. There's no way to get rid of them other than killing them and letting them live is to allow them to destroy a very valuable investment (your home and your wood furnishings).

There's no way I can take the "live and let live" approach with the termites we found in our new (less than 2 years old) house. I cannot afford to let them destroy the investment we made.

So what would those of you who are categorically opposed to any intentional killing of insects do?

I'm really not trying to be flippant. I'm curious.

I am the user formerly known as MrsKey
#39 Old 07-16-2008, 08:30 AM
DAK
Banned

About ticks and mosquitos, if they're eating part of you, then they're not being good vegans, so maybe that "sort of" justifies killing them? I don't know. But I do have to admit to allowing my dog to attack bugs if I'm too lazy to catch them.
#40 Old 07-16-2008, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

*wonders if she's in the wrong thread*

*wonders if she's getting it right, finally*

OT, I know...sorry!

*yeah, stay on topic. And you are getting it right. Luckily for me the *_____* rule doesn't apply outside of that thread*

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsKey View Post

Okay stupid question time.

I will admit that I am not overly cautious about killing bugs. Most of the time I am more than willing to live and let live. A few exceptions are when I find black widow spiders in the house. I have small animals who could be made quite ill from a black widow bite so I dispatch those. I also don't worry about killing fleas or ticks as those can also make my companion animals sick.

But what about insect infestations in a house? Let's say termites. There's no way to get rid of them other than killing them and letting them live is to allow them to destroy a very valuable investment (your home and your wood furnishings).

There's no way I can take the "live and let live" approach with the termites we found in our new (less than 2 years old) house. I cannot afford to let them destroy the investment we made.

So what would those of you who are categorically opposed to any intentional killing of insects do?

I'm really not trying to be flippant. I'm curious.

Not a stupid question. I would say that we should be doing our best not to get an infestation (there are steps one can take) but in the way society (and we are all in this) is structured we aren't set up to avoid those situations. I would say there's nothing wrong with getting the pest-control people in but that we should also be looking for a long-term peaceful solution.
#41 Old 07-16-2008, 05:10 PM

i try my hardest to put spiders outside, or at least move them out of my way (eg. like out of the shower) because they're good at keeping away flies and stuff. though i must admit that i do sometimes get rid of webs when cleaning...

as for other little creatures, i don't have much of a problem... it's not usually that hot here, so i just get moths, spiders and sometimes ants... and having a cat deals with most infestations as, my cats at least, love to eat them as a little snack!
#42 Old 07-16-2008, 07:51 PM
DAK
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seppie View Post

i try my hardest to put spiders outside, or at least move them out of my way (eg. like out of the shower) because they're good at keeping away flies and stuff. though i must admit that i do sometimes get rid of webs when cleaning...

as for other little creatures, i don't have much of a problem... it's not usually that hot here, so i just get moths, spiders and sometimes ants... and having a cat deals with most infestations as, my cats at least, love to eat them as a little snack!

If a web is in my house I have no problem destroying it.
#43 Old 07-17-2008, 05:20 PM

I do my best to avoid killing insects and spiders where practical and possible. Those in my house are caught and put outside and I watch where I step when out walking.

The only exception is when it is a wasp or some other potentially dangerous insect with regard to my guinea pigs. I try my best to catch them but if they are near the guinea pigs for too long I tend to panic.

This year though my partner and I have been doing our best to stop insects from getting in to the house in the first place, with the help of natural repellents and netting over the open windows, thus eliminating that problem
#44 Old 07-17-2008, 05:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I also tend to try to save most insects. I usually don't want to handle spiders and the like, so I try to catch them in something where neither of us gets hurt. Some insects though are so tiny I find it impossible to catch w/o hurting, so some (like tiny flies) I end up killing--as I'm not sure of their impact on my animals--partially because I lack patience and partially because when I have tried saving them I squished them. Those situations I don't feel OK with, but when I kill mosquitos, fleas, and ticks, I have no qualms: each of those could harm me or my companion animals (or even "wild" animals if I put them outside) by spreading diseases. I also have to admit that at times I ignore my cat being after some bug in the house, though I have saved some bugs/spiders from her.
#45 Old 07-17-2008, 06:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I avoid killing insects and arachnids, but sometimes it happens. The only bugs I intentionally kill are flies (I live with horses... they're everywhere) and wasps (if I can work up the nerve to even stay in the room with them... I normally call for someone else to kill them). If bees get in the house, I kill those too because my mother is allergic.

My family thinks I'm silly, but I catch spiders and put them outside.
#46 Old 07-17-2008, 11:11 PM

the other day I was taking a train into the city and I noticed that an ant had crawled onto my jacket. I felt soooo bad for it because the train was going to take it so far away from it's home! I tried to keep it with me for the train ride so I could take it outside and maybe it would have a chance but it kept running away from me. I keep thinking about it and wondering what happened to it.

sometimes i try to save worms from the rain, but that's about as much as I help bugs. I try to just leave them alone unless they are in my house.
#47 Old 07-18-2008, 08:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Is there any evidence that insects are killed from people driving cars? Ants are one example of an insect that can survive an awful lot considering its size. I tend to think insects should be given the same rights as other creatures, so I try to be as respectful as possible. I do a lot of walking and I will change my path if I see an insect.
#48 Old 07-18-2008, 10:37 AM

I rarely harm bugs or little critters. I pick up worms and put them in the grass when they stray onto the pavement and take spiders outside if they are over the bed or the table. The only time I ever consider harming bugs is when a bee gets into the house. I am very allergic to bee venom. On one occasion I went to the neighbors house and he came over and took care of it. It does not happen very often thankfully. I just wish i was not to allergic
#49 Old 07-18-2008, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

Have you ever scrubbed off a windshield or grill?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Is there any evidence that insects are killed from people driving cars? Ants are one example of an insect that can survive an awful lot considering its size. I tend to think insects should be given the same rights as other creatures, so I try to be as respectful as possible. I do a lot of walking and I will change my path if I see an insect.

Lynn

https://www.facebook.com/vigilant20

https://www.facebook.com/FrugalVegetarianRecipes

#50 Old 07-18-2008, 12:13 PM

I let bugs outside. I hate to kill. I try to practice ahisma. I killed a snake that was in my garage a few weeks ago. I was sure the little thing was poisonous. He was red, black, yellow and white. I felt so guilty afterwards. I am terrified of snakes, the old 'me' came through I guess.

So, no one is perfect. And I don't think there is an ALL RIGHT or ALL WRONG path to take in my opinoin. Obviously, just walking in your backyard might kill a handful of little ladybugs. I think the middle road is best in all cases.
#51 Old 07-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rainforests1 View Post

Is there any evidence that insects are killed from people driving cars?

I think it depends on where you live and where you drive. I never have dead insects on the grill of my car, and only get an insect large enough to see on my windshield maybe three or four times a year. And it does upset me. If I get a live one landing on my windshield I will pull over and put him on the nearest bush.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#52 Old 07-18-2008, 02:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Ha, I found a little moth larvae in the bottom of a jar of oats and washed him out. My sister noticed and freaked. Okay, I'm sorry, I know they're a baby, but they are constantly getting into our food and ruinining it and there are WAY too many of them to effectively save them ALL. Seed moths suck. Shame, since they're so cluelessly innocent.

Mosquitos I will also occasionally kill- but usually I just swat or blow them away because they're messy. But I usually don't unless I have to (half the time they're too fast, anyway). Like spiders- we happily let them build their webs in our bathrooms here. Heck, they eat bugs for us, don't bother people and don't come in droves. Why remove them? They came in for a reason. I'll remove a jumping spider, though, they prefer it outside. My sister gets paranoid about us sweeping with them around, but they do okay. They're so beautiful.
#53 Old 07-19-2008, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by osito View Post

the other day I was taking a train into the city and I noticed that an ant had crawled onto my jacket. I felt soooo bad for it because the train was going to take it so far away from it's home! I tried to keep it with me for the train ride so I could take it outside and maybe it would have a chance but it kept running away from me. I keep thinking about it and wondering what happened to it.

That was really pleasant to read, especially in a thread where people are talking about how kill arthropods, usually for no good reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I think it depends on where you live and where you drive. I never have dead insects on the grill of my car, and only get an insect large enough to see on my windshield maybe three or four times a year. And it does upset me. If I get a live one landing on my windshield I will pull over and put him on the nearest bush.

That's weird. Every car I've seen is practically caked with them. My parents cars are usually covered with them. But I guess we do live in the countryside..
#54 Old 07-19-2008, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by AutomaticMan View Post

That's weird. Every car I've seen is practically caked with them. My parents cars are usually covered with them. But I guess we do live in the countryside..

Where I live in CA we are low in flying insects. We've got plenty of crawlers, though. I think its the strong afternoon winds we get almost 365 days a year, that make it inhospitable to most flying insects. And it is very urban as well.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#55 Old 07-19-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
That was really pleasant to read, especially in a thread where people are talking about how kill arthropods, usually for no good reason.

It has really surprised me how many on here have no problem with intentionally killing bugs or kill some but not others.

I personally cannot kill a bug for no good reason. The only time I will is with an obviously fatally injured one, but then I would do the same for any mammal or bird. I don't feel I have the right to take any creatures life just for my own comfort and I don't see a line drawn between arthropods and the rest of the animal kingdom which states that my morals do not extend to them.
#56 Old 07-21-2008, 05:46 PM

heres something to think about: what about head lice, or even worse, the "down there" guests!

what would you do?

[i bring this up because i teach art at a summer camp and we found out that one of our young ones from last week had it and i got to thinking what to do if i had it too. i checked and i don't but you have to wonder about things like that. i had it when i was a kid, and of course in order to return to school i used that shampoo to kill off the lice, but i wasn't vegan then. i can gladly say i've never had the other kind of critters, though!]
#57 Old 07-21-2008, 06:05 PM

I don't know. I usually let the spiders alone if they've set up house in a discreet corner. Most all other bugs get caught and released. Exception, like another said, I cann't bring myself to catch a roach, and sorry... they get killed. I do try to do it as quickly and painlessly as possible. If I think they suffered I feel pretty guilty (actually have tears writing this, to know why... read on lol) We have these bugs that freak me out as much, if not more than, roaches. Silverfish. Yeah, just because they freak me out does not mean they should have to pay for it with their lives, but since they can live up to a year without food, and like to eat paper and linens, etc... there is simply no way to drive them out. So, we killed them, each time we saw them, and though there was an obvious infestation when we moved in, the appearances has dwindled from several a week to perhaps one every 4-6 months.

Ants, I have way too much respect for, like spiders. lol I've found that taking away their food source and disrupting their path is a great way to get them out.

I'm curious as to what people have done about fleas and gnats (or whatever those little flies are that come in w/ the fruit). I'll read on, probably already something posted. Thanks for the great thread!
#58 Old 07-21-2008, 06:09 PM
Veggie Regular

It's amazing how my views have changed since becoming vegan - I feel much more aware of the world. I no longer kill insects or am disgusted by them as I once was. I have found a whole new appreciation for bees, for instance, when I was always very afraid of them before. Another plus for being veg*an!!
#59 Old 07-21-2008, 06:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwysca View Post

It's amazing how my views have changed since becoming vegan - I feel much more aware of the world. I no longer kill insects or am disgusted by them as I once was. I have found a whole new appreciation for bees, for instance, when I was always very afraid of them before. Another plus for being veg*an!!

I feel exactly the same way and credit "Earthlings" for opening my eyes. We are all just inhabitants on this planet after all, and not one (even the human) has more right than the other to be here. When I began thinking of other creatures as my neighbors than things changed for me. Though now I realize I always have kind of had that attitude toward so-called "domesticated" animals, as my family would always tease me for talking to them like they were human and having expectations that they should have human manners. Well, not exactly the right attitude, but I may have been on the right path. I know that now I am FAR more compassionate toward all animals.
#60 Old 07-21-2008, 06:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitterpixie View Post

It has really surprised me how many on here have no problem with intentionally killing bugs or kill some but not others.

I personally cannot kill a bug for no good reason. The only time I will is with an obviously fatally injured one, but then I would do the same for any mammal or bird. I don't feel I have the right to take any creatures life just for my own comfort and I don't see a line drawn between arthropods and the rest of the animal kingdom which states that my morals do not extend to them.

I very much admire your attitude and wish I was there as well. What do you do about roaches and silverfish? I have a friend that I've seen ushering roaches out (we used to work together in a coffee shop), that was when I was omni. I thought she was a little radical (then), but always respected her intensely for her unwavering, unflinching stance on pure pacifism. I think I'll call her and ask her suggestion on the silverfish, she's been a die hard vegan for 25 years. And if I ever see another roach, I will try to usher it out (if I can manage to keep calm enough lol). If I can manage I'll also be facing a fear as roaches are a severe phobia of mine.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page