I have to give up milk and milk products... - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-10-2008, 05:35 PM

What are some good vegan sources of calcium and vitamins D, and A? And I don't like soy.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-10-2008, 05:52 PM
Veggie Regular

There is plenty of beta carotene in colorful fruits and vegetables, especially the orange ones like carrots and winter squashes. You won't get any preformed vitamin A from plants, but preformed vitamin A is toxic in large amounts anyway.

Ideally, we should all be getting vitamin D from the sun, but this depends on where you live, and how much time you can spend exposing as much of your skin as possible to sunlight.

Dark leafy greens, quinoa, and sesame seeds are a few of the foods I know of that are rich in calcium.

You may have to include some fortified foods, though, much like most omnis do. My almond milk, for example, is fortified with 10% of the RDA for vitamin A, 20% of the RDA for calcium, and 25% of the RDA for vitamin D, in one 8 ounce serving, and its got no sugar added. I like it much better than soymilk.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 07-10-2008, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Vitamins A&D are not essential vitamins which means that they are stored in your liver for long periods of time. The sunlight causes D to be made in your own body. The people who have the most problem live "up north" like Siberia, and Sweden. The reason that milk is fortified is for those people who live above a certain latitude due to the curvature of the earth. You really only need to worry about supplementation if it is winter, and you live above the latitude. Many fruit juices also come fortified w/ vit D, and some have calcium if you are worried. And then there is also the breakfast of the champs, "Total" and also tablets. Milk is fortified because a long time ago the Government decided that certain people might have a problem with getting enough sun, so they started to fortify milk. It is not naturally that way.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-10-2008, 06:44 PM
Veggie Regular

according to alot of research, people...allpeople, omni or veg...do not get enought Vit. D from the sun. SUpplements are recommended...even beyond levels that were previously thought to be adequate.

YOu can always get your levels checked from your doc though.
#5 Old 07-11-2008, 05:55 PM

Thank you. I'll try all of the above.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page