Cereals? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 07-09-2008, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm going to start my vegan trial soon (for about a week or so) but the one thing I have to have almost every morning is a big bowl of cereal with soy milk, and green tea. The only vegan cereals l I have right now are Organic Puffed Kamut and Wild Harvest Natural Mango Crisp. All the others have honey in them! I know of some from the "Can't Believe it's Vegan!" site, but I really don't want to eat sugary, artificial cereals like Fruity Pebbles and Cocoa Puffs again.

Does anyone know if there's any Kashi cereals made without honey? What are other "good for you" kinds that are vegan?

*I did search for this but couldn't find anything...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 07-09-2008, 09:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't know if its the same in the US, but in the UK Kelloggs Cornflakes and Rice Crispies are Vegan
#3 Old 07-09-2008, 09:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, I was gonna say Corn Flakes. I get the generic supermarket brand, not Kelloggs, because it's cheaper. It's the same stuff.

--Fromper

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 07-09-2008, 09:30 AM

I love bran flakes!!!
#5 Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Beginner

My son and I have recently discovered this cereal.. I forget what it's called LOL but it's Animal Planet cereal.. that might be what it's called... and it's good It has facts about animals and I think the proceeds go to animal conservation, etc. Good stuff. He likes the pictures.

I like to stick to storebrand cheerios knockoffs or granola type of cereals (there are granola cereals without honey).. usually stick to storebrand.. I'm cheap ;D
#6 Old 07-09-2008, 09:55 AM
Veggie Regular

http://www.envirokidz.com/food

I keep a box of panda puffs in my car for a snack.

The waffles are good too.
#7 Old 07-09-2008, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

All of the organic Kashi cereals are vegan. I don't believe any of the others are.

I would recommend Nature's Path cereals. You can find them at most grocery stores besides Wal-Mart. They are organic, made with whole grains, have no artificial ingredients, and are not too sugary. One or two of their cereals do have honey, however, so check the label. My favorite is the Optimum line.

I have cereal every morning, too.
#8 Old 07-09-2008, 12:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Great, thanks everyone. I'll definitely check out Nature's Path some more. I have had one of the Flax kinds before. And I've had Koala Krisp before- yum!
#9 Old 07-09-2008, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

grape nuts
#10 Old 07-09-2008, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

All of the organic Kashi cereals are vegan. I don't believe any of the others are.

I would recommend Nature's Path cereals. You can find them at most grocery stores besides Wal-Mart. They are organic, made with whole grains, have no artificial ingredients, and are not too sugary. One or two of their cereals do have honey, however, so check the label. My favorite is the Optimum line.

I have cereal every morning, too.

I'm going to have to try that cereal!
#11 Old 07-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Apple Cinnamon Cheerio's are my favorite and they are "accidentally" vegan. They do have nutritional value, although the sugar content might be more than you are looking for.
#12 Old 07-10-2008, 05:28 AM
Veggie Regular

They are only "nutritious" because they spray on the vitamins and minerals... Most of them are actually down in the dust type stuff in the bottom of the bag. Plus, I'm not sure that they really are vegan anyway because they have D3.
#13 Old 07-10-2008, 08:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

They are only "nutritious" because they spray on the vitamins and minerals... Most of them are actually down in the dust type stuff in the bottom of the bag. Plus, I'm not sure that they really are vegan anyway because they have D3.

Could be, but then I don't see how that's any different than taking a vitamin or supplement. They're better than a lot of "mainstream" cereals out there.
#14 Old 07-10-2008, 09:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, I've always been into really plain cereals--i donno if you are, but if so

-puffed wheat/corn/quinoa/kamut/younameit are vegan.. (they're just puffed grains after all)

-quaker muffets/shredded wheat

-weetabix

-barbara's puffins are ADDICTIVE. x_x

check this list out:

http://realfood.redblackandgreen.net...d=Item&asc=asc
#15 Old 07-13-2008, 06:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by vegchica13 View Post

Could be, but then I don't see how that's any different than taking a vitamin or supplement. They're better than a lot of "mainstream" cereals out there.

Well, if you take out the sprayed-on vitamins, all you have left is some oats, sugar, corn syrup, and artificial flavoring. I would rather take a supplement. But, yeah, you're right, there are definitely worse cereals! (these cheerios are not vegan anyway, so it doesn't matter, really)
#16 Old 07-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I was reading on the ALF forum and came across a post with some valuble information...

If you didn't already know, Apprently any General Mills product that has been fortified with vitamin D is not vegan... it's all D3 based, They do not use D2.
#17 Old 07-13-2008, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Animosity View Post

I was reading on the ALF forum and came across a post with some valuble information...

If you didn't already know, Apprently any General Mills product that has been fortified with vitamin D is not vegan... it's all D3 based, They do not use D2.

Well dang that's bad news. I'm not vegan but aspiring to be and I really like Apple Cinnamon Cheerios. Someone should tell PETA to take it off their vegan list I guess..

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page