Vegan Grad Party - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-22-2008, 10:02 AM

I'm having my high school graduation party on July 5th, and I want the menu to be totally vegan, however, my mom is against the idea, saying she wants two separate menus. I honestly don't see the problem of people excluding animal products for one day of their life, especially if it is at my party. I need help convincing her that this will not be a problem. I've tried talking to her about it multiple times but she seems set on the idea- so does anyone have any suggestions for me? Thanks a lot. I didnt know where else to turn!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-22-2008, 10:17 AM
Veggie Regular

What?! It's YOUR graduation party. Is she doing the cooking, or are you?

Either way, it's your special day and everyone should be more concerned with your happiness than with making sure they get dead flesh on their plates.
#3 Old 06-22-2008, 10:29 AM

I know- I'm very angry, because she initially had said it would be fine, but today she recanted and said that we're going to have 2 menus. I think it's bogus that people can't survive one day without animal by products, especially at the expense of who the party is being thrown for!

and yeah, i'm doing all the cooking- I'm a pretty good cook actually. I wanted to make lentils w/ caramelized yellow onions and basmati (good for a 'crock pot' dish, and soooo tasty!), then black bean burgers, some tofu-veggie nori rolls, hummus + pita, and maybe some sloppy joe's with smart ground or other meat analogue. other food tips would be appreciated since i've never actually cooked vegan for this amount of people anymore (most of the time its just cooking for me!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-22-2008, 07:02 PM

I think I'd have a sit-down with Mom.

If you can whip up a variety of yummy vegan dishes, nobody will miss their usual party food. It'll be a great opportunity to introduce vegan food and how amazing it can be! It may even convince a few of your friends to change up their diets a bit
#5 Old 06-22-2008, 07:04 PM

Tell her you don't want an animal to have to die to celebrate you finishing school. It's YOUR party!
#6 Old 06-22-2008, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't help much. I don't understand her not letting you serve what you want. It's your day, not hers. I just recently had my 18th birthday and it was vegan, some family members were a little wierd at first but they were won over with desserts (ice cream cake and cookies!). And to be honest, they really shouldn't care. I'm sure your mom gladly had Chuck-E-Cheese parties for you when you were little even though that wasn't her taste. It just boils down to the fact that it's your party.
#7 Old 06-22-2008, 09:56 PM

thanks for the suggestions.

I'll talk to her tomorrow in a civil manner, and hopefully it will be resolved. The part I'm most excited about is showing how tasty vegan food can be. I'll let everyone know how it goes.
#8 Old 06-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

If you're doing all the cooking like you said earlier - then how can there be any argument about what will be served?

Are you saying that she wants YOU to prepare omni food for YOUR party?
#9 Old 06-23-2008, 03:30 PM

Did you talk to her yet? Did she budge? I know she's probably paying for the food, so it's hard to not give in yourself and be ok with her choices. While we don't necessarily want to push our food ideology on people, it's important to feel comfortable at your own party. You know you can put together a great menu that doesn't include the things you eat!!! Make sure to get a lot of regular fruits and veggies as well just because it's traditional grad food. Show her it's not going to be crazy concoctions people won't like. Maybe even make her dinner with samples of what you plan to serve at the party.
#10 Old 06-23-2008, 09:11 PM

I just talked to her and sat her down and told her my points, and she agreed. I gave her my points, and it was very rewarding. Now i'm super excited to floor the guests with awesome Vegan cuisine!

does anyone have any tips for cooking catered-type Vegan food for about 50-60 people? Also, an idea for a big vegan cake.

Thanks!!!
#11 Old 06-24-2008, 01:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats! I'm so happy for you (I just discovered this thread). That's going to be such an awesome party!

Unfortunately, I have no cooking suggestions, but I'm sure somebody will come along before long and help you out there. I'm sure it will turn out great.
#12 Old 06-24-2008, 06:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessy3 View Post

I just talked to her and sat her down and told her my points, and she agreed. I gave her my points, and it was very rewarding. Now i'm super excited to floor the guests with awesome Vegan cuisine!

does anyone have any tips for cooking catered-type Vegan food for about 50-60 people? Also, an idea for a big vegan cake.

Thanks!!!

Yay, well done

Instead of a big cake I'd suggest lots and lots of cupcakes. I'd be a bit wary of trying to make a MASSIVE cake and I think cupcakes would be a lot easier. They cook very quickly and you can make lots at once. It's also a bit different innit? You could present them in a fun and artistic way.

I'd go for more picky foods with that many guests. Maybe make/buy some falafels? I know my supermarket do huge cheap frozen Indian bits and pieces (all vegan) like samosa, onion bhajis and other stuff. Veggie spring rolls are good too. I'd probably make a large pasta bake type of dish, a large curry with lots of rice, poppadoms and naan, veggie burgers in buns with salads, a really nice lentil/quinoa salad. Big bowls of nachos with refried beans, salsa and guacamole. Chips. Crisps. Popcorn! Ooh sushi rolls if you have the time. Fruit salad? Veggie jelly and home made ice cream?

That's all off the top of my head, I could probably think of more.
#13 Old 06-24-2008, 09:04 AM

here is the initial menu I had planned:

-mujadarrah (lentils and rice w/ caramelized yellow onions)

-Nori Rolls with tofu, pickled ginger, julienned peppers and some dipping sauces (ideas!?)

-A big bowl of Hummus with pita, cucumber, eggplant, other veggies to dip with.

-Sloppy Joes (with Smart Ground, obviously)

-Nachos with all the condiments

-A salad with tossed veggies, chickpeas and a nice balsamic vinegar dressing

-fruit in pastry cups

-a chocolate raspberry mocha cake!!!!
#14 Old 06-24-2008, 12:25 PM

Mmmmm! Can I come?? Haha, just kidding! I think that all sounds great!
#15 Old 07-06-2008, 01:16 PM

Well, I had the party yesterday- and I have to say the food was a great success!

Most people gravitated towards the sloppy joes (meat analogue with homemade sauce) because it obviously looked the most "familiar" to them.

The hummus, guacamole, and refried beans were all huge hits.

The Mujaddarah, or lentils w/ onions and basmati rice, and the vegan nori rolls were also a hit (for those willing enough to try them).

However, the hit of the party was probably the Chocolate Banana cupcakes w/ peanut butter icing. They were AMAZING!

So nonetheless, the whole vegan party went over very well and I think it was a fun and healthy way to expose people to a cruelty free lifestyle.
#16 Old 07-06-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Yay! Glad it worked out so well for you!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page