where to buy vegan foods? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-19-2008, 06:52 PM

I am a vegetarian (1.5 mths) and the only thing i have to ommit to be vegan is the cheese.

I am trying my hardest to stock up on alternatives to animal based products and it is a bit frustrating that most of the grocery chains i've been to, do not cater to that lifestyle at all.

we have like, one health food store near me that is very small with limited items. i have tried to find soy yogurts, seitan, icecreams, etc. and there is nothing around here.

As frustrating as it all is, it's been so eye opening. So many of the things that I grew up on and are the majority at the store are all animal based. it's truly frightening how sickenly dependent we are on animals for everything. what an amazing thought I had the other day as I was about to grab some brownie mix until i saw the contents. I realized, an animal had to suffer for this too. incredibly sad.

anyone have any hints as to how i can find more vegan based products?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-19-2008, 06:58 PM

How about ordering online?
#3 Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow...I can't imagine not being able to find stuff!

ALL of the major grocery stores around here (NJ) have vegan alternatives...soy yogurt, veggie burgers, vegan margerine, vegan cheese, rice milk, even hempmilk!

Many of the health food stores have pre-made sandwiches and all.

Your best bet is to maybe make protein-packed veggies burgers and soups from scratch or travel a bit to a better, more well-stocked grocery store. Or order online.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-19-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

farmer's markets

health food store

co-op's

online ordering - veganessentials.com , foodfightgrocery.com

grocery stores - i have pretty good luck with a store called kroger.

neighborhood gardens

growing your own little plot - container gardening, herb gardens, balcony, etc.
#5 Old 06-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Veggie Regular

BTW---where in Cali are you? California is health food heaven...at least in the cities.
#6 Old 06-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

maybe there is somewhere a little further out of town that you could take a little trip to every couple of months or so, and stock up on treats. bigger cities, bigger stores, or areas with more asian, african, or jewish populations are pretty likely to have dairy free options. lots of stuff is shelf stable of freezable.

california is probably pretty big (i have amazingly bad geography skills but i'll assume it is), but there has got to be a wholefoods or trader joes or something round there! maybe someone in the california forum has tips on stores.

also, don't be afraid to ask stores near you to get things in. big chains can order loads of different lines, and will if the demand is there. little stores too- as they value the personal relationship with customers. lots of companies and suppliers they already use will also carry vegan lines- if you smile sweetly and bug them, stuff might show up.
#7 Old 06-19-2008, 07:18 PM

Vegetarian alternatives will amp up your grocery bill very quickly. Almost all grocery stores stock traditionally vegetarian foods like grains, legumes, fruits and veggies. As for the brownies, those can be made from scratch - there are many vegan brownie recipes out there. Try sorbet, or fruit popsicles. As an over-2-years veggie I have never used seitan before, but I've heard that it's not that hard to make(or you can find/make baked tofu instead). However, as a new vegetarian, things like mock meats may help you with the transition, so if money isn't a problem then maybe ordering online will have to do for now.

You will probably find this very useful:

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

They even have brownie mix under Baking =D
#8 Old 06-19-2008, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CountessKerouac View Post

BTW---where in Cali are you? California is health food heaven...at least in the cities.

I live in the middle of cowtown (not by choice of my own) and I am 25 miles from a decent grocery store. If I want to travel an hour or so, I can make it to trader Joe's. But with the crazy gas prices, I haven't really explored that option. I live in central california ( 2 hrs south of san fran) in stanislaus county. there are literally cows everywhere as this is farm/dairy land. I thik that might be the reason they don't cater to vegans around here.
#9 Old 06-19-2008, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by applesauce View Post

Vegetarian alternatives will amp up your grocery bill very quickly. Almost all grocery stores stock traditionally vegetarian foods like grains, legumes, fruits and veggies. As for the brownies, those can be made from scratch - there are many vegan brownie recipes out there. Try sorbet, or fruit popsicles. As an over-2-years veggie I have never used seitan before, but I've heard that it's not that hard to make(or you can find/make baked tofu instead). However, as a new vegetarian, things like mock meats may help you with the transition, so if money isn't a problem then maybe ordering online will have to do for now.

You will probably find this very useful:

http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

They even have brownie mix under Baking =D

isn't that so true! I initially did the morningstar meal starter meat substitutes and it got so expensive. I am going to take your advice and all the other great advice on here and just learn to make use of things from scratch; non-speciality items.maybe order online a bit too. thanks again!
#10 Old 06-19-2008, 11:13 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by gratefulheart View Post

I am a vegetarian (1.5 mths) and the only thing i have to ommit to be vegan is the cheese.

I am trying my hardest to stock up on alternatives to animal based products and it is a bit frustrating that most of the grocery chains i've been to, do not cater to that lifestyle at all.

we have like, one health food store near me that is very small with limited items. i have tried to find soy yogurts, seitan, icecreams, etc. and there is nothing around here.

As frustrating as it all is, it's been so eye opening. So many of the things that I grew up on and are the majority at the store are all animal based. it's truly frightening how sickenly dependent we are on animals for everything. what an amazing thought I had the other day as I was about to grab some brownie mix until i saw the contents. I realized, an animal had to suffer for this too. incredibly sad.

anyone have any hints as to how i can find more vegan based products?

If you have the money you can make quick online orders. Starting with scratch is good, too. You can learn to make hundreds of differnt types of veggie pastas. But watch for egg ingredient in them.
#11 Old 06-19-2008, 11:22 PM
Veggie Regular

gratefulheart, if you just stop eating things with cheese rather than replacing it with often nasty tasting alternatives you might find that you really don't miss it at all.

i tried every vegan cheese replacement product out there, and at $5 or more per package i got nothing but disappointment.
#12 Old 06-20-2008, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I live in the middle of cowtown (not by choice of my own) and I am 25 miles from a decent grocery store. If I want to travel an hour or so, I can make it to trader Joe's. But with the crazy gas prices, I haven't really explored that option. I live in central california ( 2 hrs south of san fran) in stanislaus county. there are literally cows everywhere as this is farm/dairy land. I thik that might be the reason they don't cater to vegans around here.

Even if you want to venture and take a 2 hour ride to San Francisco every now and then...you could stock up on groceries (they have lots of HFSs in San Fran) and also treat yourself to one of their veggie-friendly restaurants!
#13 Old 06-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Mail order would probably be good for a lot of things (like powdered egg replacer and wheat gluten and nutritional yeast) You also might be able to get your grocery store to order stuff for you. You could also drive the 2 hours to san francisco once every 6 months or so and REALLY stock up on stuff you can't get close to home. If you'd like to try your hand at making your own vegan cheese, the Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook is really good.
#14 Old 06-20-2008, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

If you have the money you should buy online it be much easier for you. If that's not a good option I think you should drive to LA once and a while and stock up big time. Another thing is orders your local store can make you perhap's
#15 Old 06-24-2008, 10:40 AM

Quote:

If I want to travel an hour or so, I can make it to trader Joe's.

Sorry to say that I went to Trader Joe's last night in search of Quinoa, soy yogurt and nutritional yeast. They were out of quinoa, don't carry nutritional yeast, and only had "flavored" soy yogurt.

Although I live in "Chicagoland," I'm finding it very difficult to find what I want at TJ's, Whole Foods, or the small neighborhood health food stores. My next step is to try ordering online.

I have read that you can buy dry tvp in bulk and reconstitute it yourself, but I cannot find it AT ALL. Any info on whether this avaialble in the U.S.? - NEVERMIND!!
#16 Old 06-24-2008, 01:43 PM
Veggie Regular

They have bulk tvp and nutritional yeast at the health food store I shop at and the one I used to shop at in California.

I've never seen tvp or nutritional yeast in a regular grocery store. Actually, I've never been to a regular grocery store that even had a bulk aisle.
#17 Old 06-24-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by julie707 View Post

I have read that you can buy dry tvp in bulk and reconstitute it yourself, but I cannot find it AT ALL.

They don't have it in bulk, but if you check out the organic section in supermarkets, they may have it there. So far, I've found TVP in Shoprite and A&P near me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page