Major sugar cravings - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-07-2008, 06:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I think the reason why I have been moody alot is because I haven't had a muffin, cake, doughnout in a very long time since being vegan. I've tryed some of the sweet's at the indian store's by, but they just aren't sugary enough. It's also hard to find vegan doughnouts or muffins here, they all contain animal or what not. I even asked dunken doughnouts (god I loved that place I'd eat twelve a day lol) they all contain milk, and milk is just disgusting to me now. Does anyone else have this problem?? is there anything I can eat to perhap's get rid of the craving's?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-07-2008, 06:47 PM
Veggie Regular

dunkin doughnouts also had like, lard, didn they?

Why don't you bake some stuff?

http://books.google.ca/books?id=QkEi...LCUs#PPA228,M1 here are a TON of recipes, also you'll find a lot in the following blogs:

http://bittersweetblog.wordpress.com/

http://havecakewilltravel.com/

http://veganvisitor.wordpress.com/

http://veganyumyum.com

and likely a lot of the ones THEY link (Im not a baker so I don't frequent many vegan bakers' blogs)

PS check this out

http://veganyumyum.com/2007/02/mini-donut-test-kitchen/
#3 Old 06-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Beginner

You don't need to get rid of the cravings. Veganism doesn't mean dessert free. Just bake some things yourself.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-08-2008, 03:48 PM
Veggie Regular

i bake vegan brownies..

i eat vegan icecream with maple syrup..

i found vegan chocolate...

there are plenty of sugary yum vegan foods.

yum yum x
#5 Old 06-08-2008, 04:20 PM

yea I have a vegan/health food store close by to my house.

And they have vegan cookies,muffins,chocholate chips,chocholate covered nuts, and a bunch more. If its harder for you to find a place like this a localTrader Joes has vegan cookies and muffins/fiber cake.

Also I would def reccoment going on veganstore.com

They have everything and ship it pretty quickly. I live by that site!

Hope that helps
#6 Old 06-08-2008, 05:13 PM
Banned

fruit- dried, fresh, in jam, cans, those little lunchpack ones in jelly (which is often carragean gum, not gelatine) juices. or make your own treats. freeze bananas and put them in the food processor for instant icecream, or make smoothies by blending them with ricemilk.

i don't know if you'd have sugar cravings if you haven't had sugary sweets in a good while. its normally been a short term thing for me, after a couple of weeks sugar-free i get over it.

its most likely you're getting sugar in other places anyway- sweetened soya milk, breakfast cereal, bread, regular peanut butter, canned beans and corn, jars of pasta sauce... loads of things you wouldn't expect to, often have scary amounts of processed sugar in them.

if you're craving sugar, just eat sweet stuff. just don't go nuts on it.
#7 Old 06-08-2008, 05:27 PM
Veggie Regular

I was having a hardcore sugar craving tonight, so I made these:

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/No-Bake...II/Detail.aspx

I used Earth Balance instead of margarine and soy milk instead of cow's milk.

Let me tell you - YUMMMMM. My boyfriend and I ate half the batch! LOL

PS - I used sucanat instead of white sugar, and it worked just fine! Can't get non-bone char sugar around here (as far as I know), so I never use the stuff.
#8 Old 06-08-2008, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

dunkin doughnouts also had like, lard, didn they?

]

they dont have lard, but they contain milk and eggs...and also some products (like bagels or muffins, i forget which) have monodiglycerides from duck feathers.

i always give in to my cravings..ha...but i do so lightly. for me, if i give in a little, im satisfied and im done w/ it. its nice to bake your own, because u can control whats in it, and even add some healthier options (like flax, oats, ww flour) to a treat.

I have gotten to the point where i crave things less, and less sweet things too.

If u bake cookies, which are super easy, just freeze some of the doughballs and bake them off when you want them for a hot cookie! mmm. just like the storebought kind, but heaps better!
#9 Old 06-08-2008, 09:13 PM
Beginner

Mwahaha. Starbucks has a vegan fudge brownie and some places has vegan chocolate.
#10 Old 06-08-2008, 11:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Sav View Post

Can't get non-bone char sugar around here (as far as I know), so I never use the stuff.

You might be surprised.

Cane sugar is the only sugar processed thru bone char. Beet sugar is not.

70% of the white sugar sold commercially in the continental United States and Canada is beet sugar. It's much cheaper to grow and simpler (and cheaper) to process so uness the package specifically says "CANE sugar" you'll find that most "generic" and "store brands" like Presidents Choice, Costco, Alberstons, Western Family are bone-char-refinement-free all beet sugar.
#11 Old 06-08-2008, 11:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the recipes and the tips guys looks like I can use some of those easy recipes this helps make a difference lol and if its true starbucks have those vegan brownies Im sure to grab one when I have the chance!
#12 Old 06-09-2008, 02:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

You might be surprised.

Cane sugar is the only sugar processed thru bone char. Beet sugar is not.

70% of the white sugar sold commercially in the continental United States and Canada is beet sugar. It's much cheaper to grow and simpler (and cheaper) to process so uness the package specifically says "CANE sugar" you'll find that most "generic" and "store brands" like Presidents Choice, Costco, Alberstons, Western Family are bone-char-refinement-free all beet sugar.

Wow, THANK YOU for that!!!

I'm going to have to take a closer look at sugar in the grocery store. It is SO much cheaper than sucanat.
#13 Old 06-11-2008, 03:24 AM
Beginner

Starbucks soy chai lattes (with Vanilla shot) satisfies my sweet tooth (could one of the experienced Vegans please confirm this drink is indeed Vegan? )... I'm yet to find a nice sweet cake other than a Vegan banana/date loaf available at some cafes that I guess is sweet-ish.

ÂOur prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama
#14 Old 06-11-2008, 03:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxe View Post

Starbucks soy chai lattes (with Vanilla shot) satisfies my sweet tooth (could one of the experienced Vegans please confirm this drink is indeed Vegan? ).

Unfortunately, the Chai mix that Starbucks uses has honey in it.
#15 Old 06-11-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Use dates to substitute sugar if you are going to make some desserts such mousses and that.
#16 Old 06-11-2008, 08:01 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Unfortunately, the Chai mix that Starbucks uses has honey in it.

Oh my gosh nooooooooooo! Just Starbucks, or most of the mixes?

ÂOur prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them. Dalai Lama
#17 Old 06-11-2008, 08:06 PM

I usually bake stuff during the weekend so I have enough brownies and cookies to last me through a week or two. I can't be bothered to look at the labels of store bought baked goods and wonder if the sugar is vegetarian or not.
#18 Old 06-11-2008, 11:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxe View Post

Oh my gosh nooooooooooo! Just Starbucks, or most of the mixes?

The liquid concentrates that are popular (Tazo by Starbucks and Oregon-Chai) have honey. I haven't seen a liquid Chai base that didn't have honey.

There are some powdered mixes that are OK but you'd have to ask to see ingredients of them specificially, many of the powdered mixes have milk products in them (sigh!!).

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page