Vegan Pregnancy? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 06-05-2008, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

I am a vegetarian. I currently consume both dairy and egg products, though I would like to go vegan. One of the things holding me back is the fact that my husband and I want to start a family but in all the books I've read on pregnancy, it said that being vegan and keeping up your nutrients needed for a healthy pregnancy is hard.

I was wondering if you can get all the nutrients you need for a healthy pregnancy on a vegan diet and how? Any personal stories? Proving doctors wrong? Ect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 06-05-2008, 06:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferret_Mommy View Post

I was wondering if you can get all the nutrients you need for a healthy pregnancy on a vegan diet and how? Any personal stories? Proving doctors wrong? Ect?

You sure can. My sister has had two vegan pregnancies (and subsequent VERY healthy babies). Traditional diet books will always say that a vegan diet is inadequate, failing to mention that traditional diets often don't address both the mother and unborn baby's needs. Where do you live? My sister writes a regular column on vegan parenting in a magazine here in Australia called Vegan Voice. Her last article (in the current issue) was all about vegan nutrition during pregnancy and I think you'd find it helpful. I would like to email it to you - can you send me your email address through a private message?
#3 Old 06-05-2008, 09:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by American Dietetic Association View Post

Well-planned vegan and other types of vegetarian diets are appropriate for all stages of the life cycle, including during pregnancy, lactation, infancy, childhood and adolescence.

Key word being well-planned.

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 06-05-2008, 10:31 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post

Key word being well-planned.

http://www.eatright.org/cps/rde/xchg...3_ENU_HTML.htm

Beat me to it.

--Fromper

#5 Old 06-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Speaking from experience- it's VERY hard to plan eating during pregnancy What, with all the nausea and cravings. I was lucky to choke down half the stuff I did during the first 4 months of pregnancy with my daughter.

So yes, plan well, have lots of willpower, eat what you can, and give in to a few of those cravings. They're killer. Like you'll die if you absolutely do NOT have the brownie.
#6 Old 06-05-2008, 02:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

Speaking from experience- it's VERY hard to plan eating during pregnancy What, with all the nausea and cravings. I was lucky to choke down half the stuff I did during the first 4 months of pregnancy with my daughter.

So yes, plan well, have lots of willpower, eat what you can, and give in to a few of those cravings. They're killer. Like you'll die if you absolutely do NOT have the brownie.

Make vegan brownies.
#7 Old 06-05-2008, 02:58 PM
Veggie Regular

We've tried making the vegan brownies before. They came out wrong.

I'll be looking into a few vegan cookbooks to see what I could possibly teach myself to cook. But how do you KNOW that you are getting everything you need as far as nutrition goes. Basically a day in the life of me consists of oatmeal for breakfast, sandwich and applesauce for lunch and some pasta for dinner, and thats me trying to be good. Note that I am vegetarian now, not vegan.
#8 Old 06-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

We've tried making the vegan brownies before. They came out wrong.

I'll be looking into a few vegan cookbooks to see what I could possibly teach myself to cook. But how do you KNOW that you are getting everything you need as far as nutrition goes. Basically a day in the life of me consists of oatmeal for breakfast, sandwich and applesauce for lunch and some pasta for dinner, and thats me trying to be good. Note that I am vegetarian now, not vegan.

If you are concerned you should see a nutritionist.
#9 Old 06-05-2008, 03:08 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoboMonkey View Post

Make vegan brownies.

Um.. yeah? I wasn't suggesting otherwise.
#10 Old 06-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by FafaFrappy View Post

Um.. yeah? I wasn't suggesting otherwise.

Okay, I just didn't understand the dilemma.
#11 Old 06-05-2008, 03:15 PM
Veggie Regular

There WAS no dilemma. I was just giving an example of a craving, and how killer they can be when you're pregnant.

This is a damn good vegan brownie recipe:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=11898

Check out Strix's post.
#12 Old 06-05-2008, 03:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

One of the things holding me back is the fact that my husband and I want to start a family but in all the books I've read on pregnancy, it said that being vegan and keeping up your nutrients needed for a healthy pregnancy is hard.

Of course they say that - they're written by omnis, who probably a) don't have a great deal of interest in vegan nutrition, b) think anything to do with being vegan is hard, c) are writing for everyone, not just intelligent people, so any health advice needs to cater for the lowest common denominator as well as people who are capable of doing real research about their nutritional needs. Apologies for the rant there, but I work in a library and tend to dip into health-related books quite a bit just to see what they say about veg*nism - quite a lot of is it un-thought-out responses bases on nutritional myth (along the lines of 'but you neeeed milk for healthy bones') from people who couldn't be bothered to do the research!

The book "Becoming vegan" by Davis and Melina (who are both dieticians) has a whole chapter on vegan pregnancy and another on raising vegan children. You could also talk to people in the 'raising vegetarian children' section on here, if you haven't already, I'm sure there are people on there who have been pregnant as a vegan.
#13 Old 06-05-2008, 03:44 PM
Veggie Regular

From what I've heard from vegans who have been pregnant, the hardest part is keeping up with the increased protein needs while pregnant, especially because as Fafa pointed out, your body may not WANT to eat what it NEEDS to eat. Otherwise, your prenatal covers a lot of the basics. It is important to use iodized salt (many vegans switch to sea salts which are not a reliable source of iodine, and it's often not sufficient or absent in prenatals).

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#14 Old 06-05-2008, 03:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Are prenatal vitamins vegan?

Protein intake should not be too hard. I'm going to start making myself protein shakes at least once a day using tofu and soymilk. I plan on using a lot of soy in my cooking and such. Not to mention there are a few veggies that have a lot of protein in them for being veggies. Broccoli for one has 3g of protein per serving I think.

Well I'm off to the store to attempt to get all vegan food. I think I've made up my mind to go vegan once and for all. I'll have to do some more research on vegan pregnancy though. I'll look up that book though. Thanks everyone.
#15 Old 06-05-2008, 04:26 PM
Veggie Regular

When I was pregnant, I bought some prenatal vitamins from the HFS that were vegan, and showed them to my OB-GYN. And he said they were fine. I would advise to do the same
#16 Old 06-05-2008, 04:56 PM
Veggie Regular

Because my mother works for an OB/GYN, I got a few boxes of prenatals for free. I figure I'd go ahead and use them. Otherwise they would go in the trash.
#17 Old 06-05-2008, 06:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm not 100% sure that excessive soy consumption during pregnancy is a good idea. I've read a lot of articles insisting that pregnant woman shouldn't eat it at all, and that the increased estrogen in utero could increase your baby's risk for cancer later in life. However, all the articles I read on soy are either fiercely against it or for it, and obviously biased... I don't understand the science myself to make a clear conclusion. So, I wouldn't cut soy out of my diet by any means but I don't know if I'd consume it every day if I were pregnant.

I'd advise you to do you own research and draw your own conclusion, but I thought I'd just let you know about another perspective if you hadn't heard it before.
#18 Old 06-06-2008, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Well if soy is not to be my main source of protein then where do I get it? Beans?
#19 Old 06-06-2008, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Well if soy is not to be my main source of protein then where do I get it? Beans?

Beans, nuts, nut butters, seeds, seitan, whole grains.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#20 Old 06-07-2008, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

Chick peas! (I think they're high in protein no?).

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#21 Old 06-07-2008, 03:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Counts as a bean...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page