Best Vegan Recipe/Cookbooks Request - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-30-2008, 02:08 AM
Veggie Regular

What are the best Vegan Recipe/Cookbooks in your opinion, and why ? Also, is one book enough or is it needed to have more than one cookbook ? If it is hard to make a distinction, name atleast the top three. There are so many out there that it is hard to make good choices. I felt a big impulse and ordered the Vegan Express for starters. However, wish to make a more informed decision in the future.

I have never had cookbooks before, mostly used the net. However, in reflection I feel that having a cookbook will be more motivation to cook better, convenient to read and reduces looking at the monitor.

A good thing about cookbooks is that if no longer needed, they always make a good gift for a Veggie Friend. I also want to have one of these on my desk at work, so people know I am Vegan and if anyone is curious, they can take a look at the book.

Thank You all in advance for your responses.

Vijay
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-30-2008, 02:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan With a Vengance is a GREAT cookbook!
#3 Old 05-30-2008, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Sav View Post

+1!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-30-2008, 04:51 AM
Banned

My favourite cookbooks are here: http://www.esnips.com/web/veganebooks the best one is the free 800 vegan recipe eBook that has sample recipes from dozens and dozens of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks. That way you can sample recipes from each book and then buy the book you like the taste of.

What tastes good to me may not taste good to you and so forth. Everyone will have their own favourite books based on many reasons. There is no 'best'.
#5 Old 05-30-2008, 05:08 AM
Veggie Regular

We had a book. I think the name was "Vegan meals for two"

Just double if there are small brains at your home half if you are a solo soul.
#6 Old 05-30-2008, 05:28 AM

A great little book available to order online is

BJ's Yummy Vegan Recipes

http://www.oneworldlove.com.au/yummy_vegan_food.htm

It has a great introduction covering veganism, organics, ingredients to avoid and some mighty delicious recipes that are soooooooo satisfying.
#7 Old 05-30-2008, 08:29 AM
Veggie Regular

My top 3 (in no particular order):

Veganomicon

Vegan with a Vengeance

Madhur Jaffrey's World Vegetarian (a lot of the recipes already are vegan or are easily turned vegan)
#8 Old 05-30-2008, 04:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I kind of collect cookbooks but my favorites of the moment are:

Veganomicon

Vegan with a Vengeance

The Joy of Vegan Baking
#9 Old 05-30-2008, 04:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon are my favourites. VwaV is the one that's splattered and stained all over (i.e. used a lot) but veganomicon is great to have around too--and would be super useful if I didn't have a good background in cooking anyway! (it has an entire section dedicated to different ways to simply cook veg!) La Dolce Vegan is one I enjoyed a lot too!
#10 Old 05-30-2008, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I really like Nava Atlas and have almost all her books. I have been using the Vegetarian Five-Ingredient Gourmet a lot (most of the recipes are vegan-friendly) and have not made a single clunker from it. It's good, simple cooking.
#11 Old 05-31-2008, 06:03 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFalafel View Post

My favourite cookbooks are here: http://www.esnips.com/web/veganebooks the best one is the free 800 vegan recipe eBook that has sample recipes from dozens and dozens of vegan and vegetarian cookbooks. That way you can sample recipes from each book and then buy the book you like the taste of.

What tastes good to me may not taste good to you and so forth. Everyone will have their own favourite books based on many reasons. There is no 'best'.

True, that is why I also asked the reason why this book is good. All the files in the link you gave are in .lit format, what is the best program to open files with this format ? Thanks.
#12 Old 05-31-2008, 06:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandy_Sav View Post

I saw a few other folks suggest this online but no reasons were given as to why they are suggesting this book. Wondering, if this is being suggested as this sounds Radically Vegan ?
#13 Old 05-31-2008, 06:19 AM
Veggie Regular

La Dolce Vegan by Sarah Kramer is great. It has a wide variety of easy, tasty recipes, and I find myself using it more than any other cookbook I have. I've also found that meat-eaters tend to like her recipes as well.
#14 Old 05-31-2008, 05:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvijay View Post

I saw a few other folks suggest this online but no reasons were given as to why they are suggesting this book. Wondering, if this is being suggested as this sounds Radically Vegan ?

The name of the book has nothing to do with it for me.

I purchased the book and use it more than any other veg cookbook I have.

It has great recipes, no ridiculously expensive ingredients, and no strange ingredients that are hard to find.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page