Forgot why I'm vegan again - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-24-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

It happens once a year or so. Can you guys remind me why it doesn't matter that I'm not changing the whole world all at once? And that every little bit counts, even if there are much bigger problems to tackle than what I eat? Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-24-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe this will help.

Quote:
Once upon a time there was a wise man who used to go to the ocean to do his writing. He had a habit of walking on the beach before he began his work. One day he was walking along the shore. As he looked down the beach, he saw a human figure moving like a dancer.

He smiled to himself to think of someone who would dance to the day.

So he began to walk faster to catch up. As he got closer, he saw that it was a young man, and the young man wasn't dancing but reaching down to the shore, picking up something and very gently throwing it into the ocean.

''Good morning! What are you doing?''

The young man paused looked up and said, ''Throwing starfish in the ocean''

'"Why are you throwing starfish in the ocean?''

''The sun is up and the tide is going out and if I don't throw them in they'll die''.

''But young man, don't you realize that there are miles and miles of beach and starfish all along it? You can't possibly make a difference!''

The young man listened politely. Then he bent down, picked up another starfish, threw it into the sea past the breaking waves and said,

''It made a difference for that one."

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#3 Old 05-24-2008, 12:33 PM

Three words: Meet your meat.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-24-2008, 12:37 PM
Ex-*****

It makes a difference because you're living proof and a constant reminder to everyone around you that animals food is not a necessary part of the diet.

I no longer post here after VB was sold in 2012. (See my profile page for details.)
#5 Old 05-24-2008, 02:20 PM
Beginner

A small change is still a change.
#6 Old 05-24-2008, 03:04 PM
Veggie Regular

to me veganism isn't about changing the world. i look at it as a personal choice i've made because i believe it makes me a better human being. we all know the difference between right and wrong and even omnivores know that factory farming is wrong. they just choose to be a part of it anyway.

i tried explaining this to a friend of mine and the best analogy i could come up with was this... it's like being a police officer in a corrupt department. everyone except you is taking bribes and everyone knows that it's wrong. they always pressure you to take the bribes as well and make fun of you because you don't. do you let the pressure and ridicule destroy your morals or do you stand up for what you believe is right? and who knows, maybe someone will be touched that you are doing what's right and follow suit. you might not clean the corruption out of the department but you can look at yourself in the mirror and know you are doing the right thing.

he kinda got it after i explained it that way.
#7 Old 05-24-2008, 06:22 PM

You're also part of a like-minded community. So although you may not be able to change the world all by yourself, you're part of a collective that is changing the world.
#8 Old 05-24-2008, 06:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerVegan View Post

Three words: Meet your meat.

And here is a refresher

[youtube]VIjanhKqVC4[/youtube]

You are not changing the world... but you are adding your two cents!!!
#9 Old 05-24-2008, 07:17 PM
Veggie Regular

You're being selfish by wanting to live longer and be healthier while you're alive. You're also selfishly wanting to see your loved ones through healthy eyes, not ones stricken blind by diabetes. YOu meanie!
#10 Old 05-24-2008, 09:53 PM
Impeach the gangster

When you think about it, people feeding themselves is one of the very biggest problems there is. You're doing the right thing.

"There is more wisdom in the song of a bird, than in the speech of a philosopher...." -Oahspe
"The thing is, you cannot judge a race. Any man who judges by the group is a pea-wit. You take men one at a time." -Buster Kilrain, The Killer Angels -Michael Shaara
"Anyone who doesn't believe in miracles isn't a realist." -Billy Wilder
#11 Old 05-25-2008, 01:21 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Would it be necessary to remind you that you are anti-slavery in a world where slavery was the norm?

Would it be necessary to remind you why you are anti-wife-beating in a world where wife-beating was the norm?

Would it be necessary to remind you why you are against paedophilia in a world where paedophilia was the norm?

Using animals as commodities, not taking their interests in consideration, killing them, exploiting them, using them as ressources for food, as shoes, as subjects for torture in vivisection labs, as objects for entertainment reminiscent of Roman games, and even lately more and more for fuel, is absolutely barbaric. Future generations will look at us one day as savages and psychopaths.

Do you really want to contribute to such savagery and barbary?
#12 Old 05-25-2008, 03:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana View Post

Would it be necessary to remind you that you are anti-slavery in a world where slavery was the norm?

Would it be necessary to remind you why you are anti-wife-beating in a world where wife-beating was the norm?

Would it be necessary to remind you why you are against paedophilia in a world where paedophilia was the norm?

Using animals as commodities, not taking their interests in consideration, killing them, exploiting them, using them as ressources for food, as shoes, as subjects for torture in vivisection labs, as objects for entertainment reminiscent of Roman games, and even lately more and more for fuel, is absolutely barbaric. Future generations will look at us one day as savages and psychopaths.

Do you really want to contribute to such savagery and barbary?

I kind of understand what Medesha means. Sometimes, although the cruelty is horrible, it feels as if what we are doing does not really matter. It feels like you are one person against the world and like there is no hope for change.

You are making a difference, Medesha. Small steps are still steps.
#13 Old 05-25-2008, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

"Be the change you want to see in the world."

You are setting a good example to the people around you, because you know better and once you know, you can't go back to living in ignorance. And we're all out there doing the same, too.
#14 Old 05-25-2008, 04:06 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I kind of understand what Medesha means.

So did I. That is why I answered what I did.

But one needs to remember, that when one is knocking down a wall - whether it be a real wall or a mental wall or a political wall - people will knock on the wall, knock, knock, knock. Each person who knocks will not necessarily make a crack appear, because it is all the people BEFORE who have weakened the wall and then someone comes along, knocks even lightly, and the first crack is there.

Slowly, slowly, the wall comes down, with the help of each person who knocks. And one day... it falls.

There is not a single social justice movement that has EVER won the battle without the help of every single person knocking at that wall.

Being a vegan is being part of this social justicement movement. It is vitally important. It is the BASELINE for the animal liberation movement.

Never doubt that being a vegan is making a difference. Being a vegan is making ALL the difference.

One solution: vegan revolution.
#15 Old 05-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I know you understand, most everyone does. I was only commenting on how even though we know about the cruelty, it feels hopeless sometimes. But, you're right, every person makes a difference.
#16 Old 05-25-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, I do feel better now. Every now and then I need a reminder.
#17 Old 05-25-2008, 06:39 AM
Veggie Regular

Well, it doesn't seem to be PERFECTLY fitting for this, but...

"If you think that one little thing cannot make a difference, try sleeping in a room with one mosquito."

(Being in South FL where the mosquito is practically the state bird, I really love this.)
#18 Old 05-25-2008, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with everything else said. My tuppence: You're reducing the demand for animals to be harmed.
#19 Old 05-25-2008, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

But one needs to remember, that when one is knocking down a wall - whether it be a real wall or a mental wall or a political wall - people will knock on the wall, knock, knock, knock. Each person who knocks will not necessarily make a crack appear, because it is all the people BEFORE who have weakened the wall and then someone comes along, knocks even lightly, and the first crack is there.

Slowly, slowly, the wall comes down, with the help of each person who knocks. And one day... it falls.

There is not a single social justice movement that has EVER won the battle without the help of every single person knocking at that wall.

Being a vegan is being part of this social justicement movement. It is vitally important. It is the BASELINE for the animal liberation movement.

Never doubt that being a vegan is making a difference. Being a vegan is making ALL the difference.

One solution: vegan revolution.

I like this post Diana.
#20 Old 05-25-2008, 11:49 PM
Veggie Regular

Great thread!

I especially liked

Quote:

and

Quote:

when one is knocking down a wall - whether it be a real wall or a mental wall or a political wall - people will knock on the wall, knock, knock, knock. Each person who knocks will not necessarily make a crack appear, because it is all the people BEFORE who have weakened the wall and then someone comes along, knocks even lightly, and the first crack is there.

#21 Old 05-26-2008, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

It happens once a year or so. Can you guys remind me why it doesn't matter that I'm not changing the whole world all at once? And that every little bit counts, even if there are much bigger problems to tackle than what I eat? Thanks.

What's a "much bigger problem to tackle" than what you eat? To whom? To the animal who is killed for her flesh, it's her whole life - a lot more important than anything else.

You need to watch Earthlings or some other animal movie - since you have a conscience, the idea of sticking animals and their products in your mouth should be morally repulsive, when you remember or realize what they go through.

I don't agree with the people who refuse to watch movies and read descriptions of what happens to animals for food, vivisection, fur, etc. because they're too distressing. When people really get those images burned into their minds, they won't go back to supporting those products (or if they do it says something really negative about them).

"If you want to know where you would have stood on slavery before the civil war, don't look at where you stand on slavery today, look at where you stand on animal rights." - Paul Watson.

Every animal you eat
was running for her life

#22 Old 05-26-2008, 12:41 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irizary View Post

What's a "much bigger problem to tackle" than what you eat? To whom? To the animal who is killed for her flesh, it's her whole life - a lot more important than anything else.

You need to watch Earthlings or some other animal movie - since you have a conscience, the idea of sticking animals and their products in your mouth should be morally repulsive, when you remember or realize what they go through.

I don't agree with the people who refuse to watch movies and read descriptions of what happens to animals for food, vivisection, fur, etc. because they're too distressing. When people really get those images burned into their minds, they won't go back to supporting those products (or if they do it says something really negative about them).

You are so right! It's the letting it actually sink in when it makes a difference.

To the OP -- as to "that every little bit counts," what I keep thinking about is that every little bit I do saves an animal from death and/or torture, that there is some animal out there that does not have to go through what so many are because I am choosing to have another meat-free day.
#23 Old 05-26-2008, 01:25 AM
Veggie Regular

If you remove drops of water from a gallon jug, it won't be long before it's not a gallon of water anymore. It's only a gallon because you're one of the drops.
#24 Old 05-26-2008, 02:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

If you remove drops of water from a gallon jug, it won't be long before it's not a gallon of water anymore. It's only a gallon because you're one of the drops.

Okay, let me think -- you have a gallon of water and you remove drops of it, that would make a gallon of water minus drops. Wait, how did I get in the gallon jug?

#25 Old 05-26-2008, 03:18 AM
Veggie Regular

I read a quote awhile ago that went something like this: An avalanche always starts with a single snowflake.
#26 Old 05-26-2008, 04:16 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

I read a quote awhile ago that went something like this: An avalanche always starts with a single snowflake.

I suppose this is an adaptation of the saying that "every snowflake in an avalanche pleads non-guilty."
#27 Old 05-26-2008, 08:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

Okay, let me think -- you have a gallon of water and you remove drops of it, that would make a gallon of water minus drops. Wait, how did I get in the gallon jug?

Missing the forest for the trees?
#28 Old 05-27-2008, 03:13 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovingthegreen View Post

bad analogy.
#29 Old 05-27-2008, 06:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Fine.
#30 Old 05-27-2008, 06:24 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by froggythefrog View Post

Awesome!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page