A Vegetarian Thinking of becoming Vegan...please help - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-22-2008, 11:36 PM

Hey

I've been a Vegetarian for about a year and a half and I have been thinking of becoming a Vegan but I'm not sure about my food choices. I want to gain more knowledge on this before I jump in. I've been wanting to gain muscles and workout more for possibly starting gymnastics (not competitively of course...lol) but for that I need at least 70g of protein daily. I need suggestions. Keep in mind that I live in a small town and don't have a whole lot of money to spend on groceries. I will, however, be moving in a big city within about a year or so. This would give me more options then.

Please help!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-23-2008, 03:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Congrats on deciding to become vegan!

Beans & tofu are great sources of protein.

Not sure how much tofu costs in your area, but I know for sure that dry uncooked beans are super cheap everywhere!
#3 Old 05-23-2008, 04:03 PM

Good job becoming vegan, stick with it! I used to body build so I would look out for high protein vegan foods all the time. For starters, the best way to get protein is by purchasing protein powder (soy, pea, etc.) It may be difficult to find since you live in a small town, but it will be rewarding because they usually have about 20 - 25g of protein in each serving. Mock meats of course also have a reasonably high amount of protein. You will be able to find most of them in any "major" grocery store. You're probably aware of this already, but the leading brands are Boca and Morningstar. If you want to be more "natural" with your food choices, tofu is always a great choice for protein. I have read great things about kale as well (I also think it tastes pretty good myself). Nuts definitely have a large amount of protein as well. Don't forget soy milk! I hope my suggestions helped at all!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-23-2008, 04:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Good job man!!!

Tofu and soy beans have a lot of proteins.

Also, you may want to get spirulina powders, which 70% of it's weight is protein.

Raw nuts are an awesome protein source.
#5 Old 05-23-2008, 06:28 PM

If you use the program available on www.fitday.com, you can input what you eat every day. It can show you how much protein you are consuming. I found that, even trying vegan, I got way more protein than I thought I was getting. Good luck.
#6 Old 05-24-2008, 05:54 AM

Hey Muffin_398,

Have you looked into goji berries at all? What about green barley grass powder and wheatgrass powder? I take these daily - the green powders I mix together and quickly drink in the mornings before I get going and then I make a really yummy smoothie out of goji berries and organic coconut oil with some cashews and dates and it is delicious! I crave it if I dont have it or miss a couple of days. I know that both of these drinks give me protein and are balanced with other nutrients as well. Being vegan and taking care of yourself can mean in Australia you spend more to get the good stuff but then thats what I'm into, I feel its 100% worth it you know? I'd rather give it to myself than spend money on what kills me.

I think its great you're doing research before going vegan but honestly I have never been healthier and I do heaps of physical activity every week and I can cope with it all fine, I dont feel I'm lacking in anything but I do make sure I eat the right stuff and make it yummy with lots of love added in!

Yeah! Go vegan, go all the way!

Love Claire
#7 Old 05-27-2008, 12:25 PM

Thanks for all your help guys. I've made my decision. As of today, I'm vegan! I read on Peta's website about the dairy and egg industries and something clicked. I'm just disgusted by it now. The thing that clicked about the eggs was when they mentioned that the eggs are just a byproduct of the chickens mentrual cycle ( I read that and thought EWWWWW that right!!) That was enough to convince me. Plus I stopped drinking milk a long time ago because it makes me feel like I have something stuck in my throat and I'm not a huge fan of cheese. So it'll be fairly easy.

I'll just have to be very carful when reading labels now. Can you guys tell me certain things to look out for?

Would it just be easier to learn to cook and make my own food all the time?

Thanks for the help!!
#8 Old 05-27-2008, 12:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffin_398 View Post

Thanks for all your help guys. I've made my decision. As of today, I'm vegan! I read on Peta's website about the dairy and egg industries and something clicked. I'm just disgusted by it now. The thing that clicked about the eggs was when they mentioned that the eggs are just a byproduct of the chickens mentrual cycle ( I read that and thought EWWWWW that right!!) That was enough to convince me. Plus I stopped drinking milk a long time ago because it makes me feel like I have something stuck in my throat and I'm not a huge fan of cheese. So it'll be fairly easy.

I'll just have to be very carful when reading labels now. Can you guys tell me certain things to look out for?

Would it just be easier to learn to cook and make my own food all the time?

Thanks for the help!!

Awesome! AWESOME AWESOME!

Being vegan is so much easier than everyone thinks, glad you are doing it!

Remember you will make mistakes along the way, but you do the best that you can. Email me personally and I will help you more.

[email protected]

Basically once you start learning what you like to eat you will be fine!

If you are searching to see if some of the things you liked in the past are vegan mostly you are just looking out for whey which is dairy and egg. Gelatin is bones from an animal, watch for that.

It is easy though, fruits and veggies, vegan veggie burgers, beans and rice, soy milk and rice milk, soy ice cream and cereals.. nuts and cheeseless pizza! yum yum yum! So exciting!
#9 Old 05-27-2008, 01:41 PM

Thanks njvegsocial. Do you have MSN? Cause if so we could talk there.
#10 Old 05-29-2008, 06:51 AM

Hello there! Congrats on your life changing decision! I wish you all the luck in the world! I'm a vegan 5 months and I could never go back. The moment I learned about the dairy industry, how cows are treated and what happens to calves I had to become a vegan. then when I learned about eggs and that all male chicks are gassed...well...I cried. There is just no excuse for treating animals like this just for food. I thought I could live without dairy and eggs just as easily as living without meat and I certainly don't miss that. I just think of the amount of animals that I am saving by doing this simple thing. And I feel much healthier too!
#11 Old 05-29-2008, 07:15 AM

I love vegans!!
#12 Old 05-29-2008, 08:05 AM
Vegan Police Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by CVegan View Post

I love vegans!!

Me too!!!
#13 Old 05-29-2008, 04:10 PM

Yeah!! Vegans are gutsy!!

Hey Muffin_398,

There's a great vegan cookbook out you can order from my friends website - its got really good tips at the front of the book, things like ingredients to look out for on food labels and what are really good ingredients to use to make your food delicious and nutritious. AND really yummyily delicious recipes too.

http://www.oneworldlove.com.au/yummy_vegan_food.htm

Its really affordable too.

You've really made a great choice for yourself and our beautiful planet, good on ya!!

Love Claire

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page