Candies! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-15-2008, 12:57 PM

I have a huge sweet tooth, but I've been having trouble good vegan alternatives. I used to be really into chewy candies like skittles, which unfortunately have gelatin.

Are there any good candies out there, or a recipie you like in particular?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-15-2008, 01:03 PM
Veggie Regular

I like Jolly Ranchers. I don't know of any chewy candies that are vegan. Not that they don't exist, I just haven't felt compelled to look.
#3 Old 05-15-2008, 01:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been told twizzlers and swedish fish. I hope that still stands.

Oreos too, I in fact just had 6. They were delicious and imperative to me not storming out of this crap job and telling them to go screw.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-15-2008, 01:21 PM
Veggie Regular

SOUR PATCH!!!!!!

!!!!!

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

And Swedish Fish.

I dream about Sour Patch Watermelon.

And this is a long-shot, but if you ever find yourself in Germany, there's a chain of stores called Bärenland that sells nothing but gummi candies, and they have a lot of gummis "ohne gelatine" i.e. without gelatin. And they are amazing! I've been told by omnis that that the gelatin-free ones they make are actually better.

Although, now that I think about it, if you're in Europe you won't have this problem to begin with because Skittles are vegan over there.
#5 Old 05-15-2008, 01:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh yeah, I know Red Vines are vegan. They're like twizzlers only less rubbery and superior in every way.

Don't worry, the natural flavor is pomagranite juice.
#6 Old 05-15-2008, 03:54 PM
Veggie Regular

The brownie recipe in the Joy of Vegan baking is

It's got applesauce and flaxseed.
#7 Old 05-15-2008, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I would buy candies from only strictly vegan companies, because even companies that normally use non-bonechar sugar may come across a shortage, and they don't have the ethics, nor are they bound to continue to use the same sugar, to ensure it (since it's not certified).

Vegan websites continually check with their suppliers.

But really make your own sweets. Take some sugar and water and cook it down until it starts getting thick (Before caramelization), add any flavoring and then pour into mold, stick a stick in it and you got a lollipop.

Sour patch kids have red 5 an blue 40 and whatever, and while they may be vegan or vegetarian, they're not good for you by any means, also the HFCS that's probably in any accidentally vegan candy.

MAKE YOUR OWN FOOD.
#8 Old 05-16-2008, 07:13 AM
Beginner

How about just plain old dates? They're really sweet, but still healthy.
#9 Old 05-16-2008, 08:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey View Post

How about just plain old dates? They're really sweet, but still healthy.

Them, and about any other dried fruit. The biggest problem I've found with dried fruit is how expensive is can be- unlike, say, a patch of Sour Patch Kids from your local drug store, you can't mindlessly finish a bag of organic dried mango while you're watching a movie.

The best stuff to get is bulk dried fruit (do NOT get sucked in to the flashy labels on a lone, $8 dollar little bag of dried apple or goji berries sitting in the middle of the trail mix section at an average grocery store- find a place where they sell bulk! Can still be very expensive, but much less so. And I don't know whether all Cops stores are now selling bulk products, but ours is at least). And the least expensive options are usually in the raisin or currant family. If you like raisins enough on their own, use them when you crave sugar whenever you can. Dried currants (I get Zante Currants, whatever that means lol) are like tiny little raisins, packed with a lot of sugar. Giant Flame Raisins are wonderful, and I've gotten them via Whole Foods (which sells lots of bulk dried fruit). Golden raisins, however, are usually a lot more expensive then dried red grapes or even currants.

I also like to snack on regular chocolate chips- my favorite is actually SunSpire's Grain-Sweetend Chocolate Chips. Yes, you read right. Okay, so they're an aquired taste, because they are a lot less sweet than most white sugar-sweetened chocolate chips, but you get more chocolate per serving if you ask me because it's not SO sweet that you can't really indulge in it....

Anyway, there are a lot of good alternatives out there. There's also fresh fruit!

(Out of curiosity, although it's definitely not good for you, what's the verdict on Twizzlers in general? Like, the cherry pull-and-peels, and- in particular- the regular strawberry ropes?? I would hate for them not to be vegan!!)
#10 Old 05-16-2008, 10:23 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

(Out of curiosity, although it's definitely not good for you, what's the verdict on Twizzlers in general? Like, the cherry pull-and-peels, and- in particular- the regular strawberry ropes?? I would hate for them not to be vegan!!)

Twizzler Info

I personally would not consider them vegan
#11 Old 05-17-2008, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a massive sweet tooth and everyday since being vegan I have tryed to resist the candy because most of it has gelatin, and they only have the vegeterian ones on christmas. I am still looking, but in the moment I eat dried fruit, but some dried fruit I like such as apricots and berries are a real good sweet buster.
#12 Old 05-17-2008, 10:53 AM

if you like chewy candies try mambas...they are like vegan starburst...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page