Vegans Did You Lose Weight? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 PM
Veggie Regular

Hi all, I'm a new vegan (day 4). Can you pretty much eat what you want if your vegan diet is primarily unprocessed whole foods? I'm not a raw vegan, but I don't eat simple sugars often. I try not to at all. Just curious as my uncle is 3 years vegan and he said I would never have to think about my weight again if I went vegan.

To clarify....that's not my purpose for eating vegan, but I would certainly like to be thinner.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 PM
Veggie Regular

I went vegan from being a long-time l/o vegetarian so I can't say I lost a significant amount of weight. I did lose 3-4 pounds perhaps when I gave up cheese and egg ingredients.

Not to discourage at all.
#3 Old 05-13-2008, 09:15 PM

I gained weight I had a very stationary job and was not active! Balance is important.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2008, 09:22 PM
Banned

i didn't loose any weight.

its all about calories in vs calories out, innit?

if i ate peanut butter, avocado, coconut oil and banana smoothies all day i bet i could gain plenty as a vegan.
#5 Old 05-13-2008, 09:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost 10 pounds due to a B12 deficiency I think, which I gained back when I started taking a multivitamin. Other than that I didn't lose any weight.
#6 Old 05-13-2008, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost at least 5 pounds upon going vegan. It probably wouldn't have bothered me if I didn't have such a small frame already. I had to make a conscious effort to put weight back on.
#7 Old 05-13-2008, 09:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

if i ate peanut butter, avocado, coconut oil and banana smoothies all day i bet i could gain plenty as a vegan.

...and hummus, and coconut-milk curries, and vegan chocolate, and date-nut tortes, and cashew cream sauce, and tofu lasagna, and....

Not that I would know or anything. Just sayin'
#8 Old 05-13-2008, 09:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I've lost about 15 pounds but it was combined with exercising like a crazy person. I need to lose about 10 more. When I stop exercising, I stop losing. When I eat too many treats or if I slip off the vegan wagon and eat something with dairy in it, I start gaining.
#9 Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost about 10 lbs.
#10 Old 05-13-2008, 10:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I lost weight (35 pounds), but then I started exercising regularly and watching my portion sizes around the same time I became vegan. It's possible to be vegan and obese if you eat lots of high calorie foods and you don't burn enough calories with exercise. Even whole foods are not always low calorie.
#11 Old 05-13-2008, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by WendySmiling View Post

Hi all, I'm a new vegan (day 4). Can you pretty much eat what you want if your vegan diet is primarily unprocessed whole foods? I'm not a raw vegan, but I don't eat simple sugars often. I try not to at all. Just curious as my uncle is 3 years vegan and he said I would never have to think about my weight again if I went vegan.

To clarify....that's not my purpose for eating vegan, but I would certainly like to be thinner.

I've lost weight since I became vegetarian. I wasn't fully vegan, but I had stopped eating cheese and milk. Now that I'm fully vegan I am still losing weight. In fact I am thinking about eating more fatty stuff like avocado to gain back some weight! I think also the way I've been eating has contributed to that. I've been eating small portions but more often. The other thing that's changed is that now I don't eat sugary crap as much. When there's donuts or cake or whatever at work, I don't grab any...or when I go to starbucks I don't get any of their cakes. Instead I have my home made muffins which are much less in calories. So I think all of this has contributed to the weight loss.
#12 Old 05-13-2008, 10:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I gained a little weight, because of the simple fact that I've been eating more than when I was a meat-eater.

Vegan food is just more appetizing, I guess.
#13 Old 05-13-2008, 10:37 PM
Veggie Regular

I initially lost weight going vegetarian, but gained it all back. When I went vegan I noticed no change.
#14 Old 05-13-2008, 10:41 PM
Veggie Regular

I have lost around 15 lbs since becoming vegan. (around Sept 1) This is actually without much work on my part. If I had actually TRIED to lose, I probably would have lost more.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#15 Old 05-13-2008, 10:52 PM
Veggie Regular

It's very possible to have an unhealthy high fat vegan diet that prevents weight loss and even causes weight gain, even if it's whole foods. Some of those foods were listed earlier... Sometimes people go overboard on high fat plant foods thinking that they are a required staple in a vegan diet and so eat them several times a day instead of as occasional treats. If you keep to an average of around 10-15% fat (by calories, not by weight) and a mostly whole food diet you can probably eat about as much as you want and get to and/or maintain a healthy weight. The second reason that sometimes people gain weight (or don't lose it) aside from the amount of fat is that they eat lots of refined foods like bread and pasta and vegetarian junk food meat/dairy analogs - which you've said you don't really do.

Exercise is also important for health and weight. But you probably already knew that one! :-)
#16 Old 05-14-2008, 01:02 AM

I gained 10 pounds.
#17 Old 05-14-2008, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

I gained weight. It has nothing to do with being vegan though. It has to do with my food choices and the fact that I don't exercise at all.
#18 Old 05-14-2008, 04:30 AM
Veggie Regular

Since going vegetarian Jan 2006 and then vegan July 2007, I have lost over 20kg (44 lbs) I didn't change my exercise habits, but I did become more conscious of what I was feeding my body.
#19 Old 05-14-2008, 05:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i gained a tad, but i went from eating disorder to eating so... i only gained like 3 pounds anyway, and now that its the summer and im running a lot i cant see it staying on. :P
#20 Old 05-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Beginner

I lost about 10lbs overall I'd say.

I have dropped lower while vegan but that was due to not eating! I think the fact that you can't buy/accept cake, milk chocolate or what have you from people makes the biggest difference... but I compensate for that now by baking for myself and buying vegan junk food...
#21 Old 05-14-2008, 05:55 AM
Veggie Regular

No, I have not lost weight, but that's a good thing because I'm underweight already.
#22 Old 05-14-2008, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I have lost about 10 pounds, but it's entirely intentional. I have started exercising and watching what I eat (most of the time).
#23 Old 05-14-2008, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I've lost about 7lbs...(in addition to the 35lbs I lost after birth) without trying, that will partly be to do with nursing Len though. More impressive is that I have managed to actually keep it all off....which I do credit veganism for, even when I'm having a bad week and eating vegan junk food I don't put any weight on!

Clarexxx
#24 Old 05-14-2008, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I lost quite a bit of weight at first (not sure how much cos I don't weigh myself), although it was around the same time as getting a new job where I'm on my feet all day. Have put a bit back on now which is a bit annoying, but I'm still a clothes size smaller than I was when I was lacto-ovo.
#25 Old 05-14-2008, 10:02 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm over weight and my weigh fluctuates. I have been vegan 2 1/2 years. I've probably kept a little more weight off. I eat way less sweets than I used to by conscious choice. That helps. But I love potato and tortilla chips etc.

I don't think being vegan is an automatic you will be skinny way of eating. I don't exercise as I should. I'm on my feet so much at work, when I'm off I just want to be off my feet.
#26 Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM

I have finally lost 40+ pounds eating primarily raw foods! I especially enjoy my raw fudge made from medjool dates, walnuts and/or coconut oil, and raw carob. I also try to eat avocados as much as possible which is probably just one or two a week in my salads or smoothies! If I use any oil it is olive oil. But I also use nuts as a base to make a fantastic dressing.

I had tried for a long time to lose weight before i became a vegan, but nothing worked even though I would eat about 1800 calories a day for well over a year! In retrospect, I know that the stresses I was under was the primary reason, but now I am no longer pre-diabetic and don't feel as anxious as I used to feel eating a nutritious diet but with some meat and very little dairy!
#27 Old 05-14-2008, 11:35 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post

I would gain plenty too... plenty of happiness!
#28 Old 05-14-2008, 02:06 PM
Veggie Regular

When I became a vegan I ate a healthy wholefood diet and lost over 28 pounds.

theatre girl x
#29 Old 05-14-2008, 02:12 PM
Beginner

I went vegan in January of this year and have lost maybe 12 or 13 pounds. I went straight from being an omni with horrible eating habits to vegan and health conscious, though. It all depends, really. I have managed to over eat a few times since being vegan, and I can see how that could become a habit.
#30 Old 05-14-2008, 09:08 PM
Veggie Regular

I haven't lost or gained significant amounts of weight since going vegan. I follow intuitive eating - I eat what I want, when I want, and stop when I'm full. I think that's the best way to settle into your body's natural set weight, whatever that may be.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page