I don't want to cuddle up to leather. - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-13-2008, 06:37 AM
Veggie Regular

During my lunch hour, I like to take a quiet "read break." I normally eat at my desk, but since I'm surrounded by people working, talking on the phone, etc., it's not a good place to read. When it's not in use, I've been going into a public meeting room to catch up on my book in peace and quiet.

The other day, the boss happened through the room and asked me what I was doing. I explained that my desk just wasn't a good reading environment. She asked me why I didn't just go into the staff lunchroom and curl up on the 'comfy' furniture. And there's the problem.

The lunchroom is filled with huge, overstuffed leather couches and chairs. It's still new enough that the entire room reeks like one of those leather shops at the mall. Yes, I'll admit to briefly sitting on the furniture when I had to for a meeting. But spending 45 minutes of my own time ensconced in several yards of smelly cowhide makes my skin crawl. (The meeting room chairs are cloth.)

I don't know how to say this without the boss thinking I'm a total flake or trying to be 'difficult'. Or insulting her choice in decor. I'm sure just about everyone else I work with considers the furniture desirable and luxurious.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-13-2008, 07:17 AM
Veggie Regular

Say it just like that. "I think it's really pretty in there, but the animal skin stuff really bothers me. Do you understand?" Be sure to ask if he understands because otherwise he's only receiving info, and doesn't have to contemplate whether or not he can relate to it. At least, that's what I have done.
#3 Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

Say it just like that. "I think it's really pretty in there, but the animal skin stuff really bothers me. Do you understand?" Be sure to ask if he understands because otherwise he's only receiving info, and doesn't have to contemplate whether or not he can relate to it. At least, that's what I have done.

Ditto on what soy said!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-13-2008, 07:40 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

Word.
#5 Old 05-13-2008, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

My husband doesn't understand why I don't want a car with leather seats.

Um....cuz it's gross? Even if it wasn't cow skin, it's not soft, it makes noise, it smells funny and it gets hot and sticks to your legs in the summer.
#6 Old 05-23-2008, 07:34 PM

I can understand not wanting to purchase a car with leather seats, but I'll never understand when someone refuses to sit on leather couches that are either old or do not belong to them. Not to be rude, but it does sound like you are being a tad difficult. The couch is going to be there regardless if you sit on it or not. It was already purchased and I do not believe your place of business would completely change their already purchased furniture to meet the needs of one person. My advice to you would be just suck it up and be glad you weren't the one who purchased it!
#7 Old 05-23-2008, 07:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParkerVegan View Post

I can understand not wanting to purchase a car with leather seats, but I'll never understand when someone refuses to sit on leather couches that are either old or do not belong to them. Not to be rude, but it does sound like you are being a tad difficult. The couch is going to be there regardless if you sit on it or not. It was already purchased and I do not believe your place of business would completely change their already purchased furniture to meet the needs of one person. My advice to you would be just suck it up and be glad you weren't the one who purchased it!

I don't think peace was "refusing" to do anything, but instead was just preferring to sit on non-leather chairs. I feel the same way, that it's just really uncomfortable to sit on leather because of the fact that it is the skin of a cow. Many vegetarians won't eat veggie patties that have been cooked with meat burgers - not because this saves any animals, but just because after a while animal products seem really gross.
#8 Old 05-23-2008, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

I've taken to stretching out in the back seat of my car with the windows down, my shoes off, and a book. Not that we don't have break rooms, but I prefer my car.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#9 Old 05-23-2008, 08:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Some people find it as grisly as I hope you would find sitting on a couch upholstered in the skin of human children. Its got nothing to do with being difficult.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#10 Old 05-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Take a couch.

Cover it in chicken patties, steaks, pork chops, liver, etc.

Sit on it.

A tad uncomfy, isn't it? Oh don't worry--that squishy gross stuff you're sitting on already belongs to someone else. And they'd find it rude if you don't sit on their meat.

lol, jk! But seriously, this is how I view it. Muscles or skin, it's all gross. I wouldn't touch someone else's hamburger, and I wouldn't sit on a leather couch or whatever unless i really had to.

And ditto, they do smell gross.

<3<3<3<3<3 (my pointless 2 cents)
#11 Old 05-24-2008, 04:23 AM
Veggie Regular

I love my leather couches, because they are not real leather....and its also very appealing to the majority of clients that could care less. Check them out, see if they are even real animal skins and if they are realize we live in a world that does not cater to minorities, and move on like you have.
#12 Old 05-24-2008, 06:09 AM

If I was at a friends house who has had the same leather couch for about 10 years (all hypothetical), I wouldn't have a problem sitting on that couch. Just like I do not have a problem with using a leather wallet that I had purchased prior going vegetarian or vegan. I understand that it is an animal and it is disgusting, but there is also the matter of being wasteful. I think it is more important to use stuff and not let it go to waste rather than just completely deny it. As long as I am not giving the shady companies that produce such things my own personal money, then I don't have a problem with sitting on a leather couch. Now, I don't think that is true for eating meat. Even if someone bought me a hamburger, I wouldn't accept that. Completely disregarding a couch because it has leather just doesn't sit right with me (no pun intended) though. Maybe because I absolutely cannot stand to waste things. Granted, I understand where everyone is coming from though. It's difficult to say what is right and what is not.
#13 Old 05-24-2008, 08:20 AM

Sitting in another room with different chairs isn't being wasteful or wasting the couch.
#14 Old 05-24-2008, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Maybe because I absolutely cannot stand to waste things. Granted, I understand where everyone is coming from though. It's difficult to say what is right and what is not.

Yes, everyone's got their own ways of looking at it. I see leather as the ultimate symbol of an animal's suffering, partly because the animals are often not quite dead before the skinning starts. People like to try to cover up the daily horror of what they do by making "pretty" things out of skin, but I don't choose to buy into the deception. Leather will always be the blood and pain soaked skin of a dead friend to me. And since leather products are things which should never be made, in my view they cannot be wasted. No one thinks of all the human skin still attached to dead humans in graveyards as a wasted resource, and I don't accord animal remains with less respect than human ones.

I'm not saying everyone is supposed to think like I do. Its just my explanation for why I don't see the issue in the same way that other people do.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#15 Old 05-24-2008, 03:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

If I was at a friends house who has had the same leather couch for about 10 years (all hypothetical), I wouldn't have a problem sitting on that couch. Just like I do not have a problem with using a leather wallet that I had purchased prior going vegetarian or vegan. I understand that it is an animal and it is disgusting, but there is also the matter of being wasteful. I think it is more important to use stuff and not let it go to waste rather than just completely deny it. As long as I am not giving the shady companies that produce such things my own personal money, then I don't have a problem with sitting on a leather couch. Now, I don't think that is true for eating meat. Even if someone bought me a hamburger, I wouldn't accept that. Completely disregarding a couch because it has leather just doesn't sit right with me (no pun intended) though. Maybe because I absolutely cannot stand to waste things. Granted, I understand where everyone is coming from though. It's difficult to say what is right and what is not.

enjoying the fruits of cruelty and murder is wrong. it may be difficult for you to say if it's right or not to you but to me it's far from right. if i had an option between a leather couch and a non-leather place to put my rump, i'll choose the spot that i find least disgusting. that is my choice.

on my breaks i want to be relaxed and comfortable and i doubt i could be either when sitting on something that i find morally wrong in the first place. i wouldn't be difficult by asking them to bring me a non leather alternative for meetings or whatnot but if it's my own choice then i'll exercise my choice.

and one of the first things i did when i went vegan was giving away my wallet/belts to a friend and buying replacements not made of leather but that's just me.
#16 Old 05-24-2008, 06:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post

enjoying the fruits of cruelty and murder is wrong. it may be difficult for you to say if it's right or not to you but to me it's far from right. if i had an option between a leather couch and a non-leather place to put my rump, i'll choose the spot that i find least disgusting. that is my choice.

on my breaks i want to be relaxed and comfortable and i doubt i could be either when sitting on something that i find morally wrong in the first place. i wouldn't be difficult by asking them to bring me a non leather alternative for meetings or whatnot but if it's my own choice then i'll exercise my choice.

and one of the first things i did when i went vegan was giving away my wallet/belts to a friend and buying replacements not made of leather but that's just me.

Off topic -

You have my name

Good luck with the couch, I know it's awkward when your beliefs start affecting your professional relationships :X
#17 Old 05-24-2008, 08:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libera Mentis View Post

Off topic -

You have my name

Good luck with the couch, I know it's awkward when your beliefs start affecting your professional relationships :X

you mean you have my name!! lol

i dont deserve the name though. i'm definitely not Hawaiian. silly parents ><
#18 Old 05-24-2008, 10:56 PM
Veggie Regular

I refuse to sit on the leather couches in the young adult classroom at my church in Ohio. I sit on the lightly-padded cloth chairs instead. The church council decided, unbeknownst to me (I really should attend their meetings) to buy leather couches for us a couple of years ago. I hate the smell of leather. It's awful. It hadn't even occurred to me to say, "Hey, when we're picking out furniture for the new building, let's not get anything with leather" since leather is a status item, and my church is normally all about getting the best quality and lowest price option available. And that's usually not leather... not for couches, anyway! Maybe for hiking boots.

I was pissed. But what was I going to do when I walked in one Sunday and saw and smelled these horrific couches? Insist they take them back or I was never tithing anything to that church again?

Someday I won't be a young adult anymore, but they'll still probably have those couches, since they get sat on one hour a week.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
#19 Old 05-25-2008, 05:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lani View Post

You're making me look like some crazed carnivore? I don't "enjoy" sitting on leather couches or using leather wallets. I don't enjoy the fact that animals are skinned so we can make superficial, unnecessary things for us. If I had my choice of sitting on a leather couch or something else, I would choose the other option. I mean, after all, I am a vegan. However, I am not so realistic and out of touch to think that everything purchased that contains animal products should be thrown out, burned in a fire, thrown off a cliff, etc. It is absolutely pointless and unjustifiable to throw out a leather wallet that was already purchased prior to going vegan. Giving away makes sense, but then spending more money for another wallet? That does not make sense. You're supposed to use what you have and make the best out of it. If I bought some leather belt 5 years before I went vegan, I'm not going to act like I'm making a difference by throwing it out. The company already has my money, so I better use their product. However, they will never see another penny out of my pocket.
#20 Old 05-25-2008, 08:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all of the comments. To clarify, I am not demanding my workplace dispose of the furniture, nor have I even brought up the issue with any of my coworkers. Just personally, I prefer not to sit in the furniture to read/relax during my break. I made this post not to rail against my workplace, but rather to seek advice on how to respond when the boss asked me why I was sitting in a meeting room rather than the "comfy" breakroom furniture.

(In reference to the question above, I am 99.9% sure the furniture is leather. Most telling is the smell. They redecorated and purchased the chairs fairly recently, and the whole breakroom smells like a leather goods shop in a mall.)

Luckily, I haven't been questioned about my seating choice since I made this post. If she asks again, I have 2 plausible reasons to give: 1. I personally dislike leather furniture and 2. the breakroom is frequently not a quiet place to read, as people are usually gabbing over their lunches.

#21 Old 05-25-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't get why people like leather. Sweat patches, squeakyness, and feels horrible. Give me something soft I can sink into anytime - leather aint meant to be comfy, it's meant to be durable. They'll be making couches out of plastic next
#22 Old 05-25-2008, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Luckily, I haven't been questioned about my seating choice since I made this post. If she asks again, I have 2 plausible reasons to give: 1. I personally dislike leather furniture and 2. the breakroom is frequently not a quiet place to read, as people are usually gabbing over their lunches.

I was sort of wondering why you needed an answer. Its really none of your boss's business. If you are comfortable explaining, that's great, but sometimes people risk their careers when their companies find out they are vegan. Of course, I know you can't tell your boss its none of her business! But I think either one of those replies should be plenty if anyone does ask.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#23 Old 05-27-2008, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by peace View Post

Thanks for all of the comments. To clarify, I am not demanding my workplace dispose of the furniture, nor have I even brought up the issue with any of my coworkers. Just personally, I prefer not to sit in the furniture to read/relax during my break. I made this post not to rail against my workplace, but rather to seek advice on how to respond when the boss asked me why I was sitting in a meeting room rather than the "comfy" breakroom furniture.

(In reference to the question above, I am 99.9% sure the furniture is leather. Most telling is the smell. They redecorated and purchased the chairs fairly recently, and the whole breakroom smells like a leather goods shop in a mall.)

I wonder how you would handle a real problem! Its just a couch, get over it.
#24 Old 05-28-2008, 10:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filson View Post

I wonder how you would handle a real problem! Its just a couch, get over it.

It's a dead animal. I personally find it disrespectful to sit on a dead person.
#25 Old 05-28-2008, 10:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

It's a dead animal. I personally find it disrespectful to sit on a dead person.

Its a dead animals skin that has been treated and cleaned meticulously. Their is a smell of leather is all. Its not going to hurt you or your clothes.

The OP does not own it. Be respectfull of others. Their animals too!
#26 Old 05-29-2008, 05:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for the insult and presumptuous comment about "real problems." That was very constructive. I've already explained the issue twice, and I think I've made my respectful attitude clear. Thanks, man. Too funny.

#27 Old 05-29-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Wow, either a joke or just plain sick.
#28 Old 05-29-2008, 01:19 PM

Quote:

Its a dead animals skin that has been treated and cleaned meticulously. Their is a smell of leather is all. Its not going to hurt you or your clothes.

The OP is being repectful to her co-workers. Shes not killing them and sitting on their skin, is she?
#29 Old 05-30-2008, 01:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I said I personally find it disrespectful to sit on it. I said nothing about the OP. It's still part of a carcass and I treat it the same as part of a human carcass. I actually did some work for a cash-in-hand company once in a furniture shop and had to leave really soon because I got upset at having to drag the carcasses about as though their deaths meant nothing
#30 Old 05-30-2008, 02:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Part of the treatment of leather includes often toxic substances and/or heavy metals to keep the skin from rotting, as it is dead flesh...

Do you mean to say that her co-workers are animals too? Or are you saying to be respectful to her co-worker's animals?

It is funny that giving respect to something can have such vastly different meanings to different people. Like I respect animals and don't eat them or exploit them whenever I can avoid it, but you seem to think in order to show respect to a human the OP should sit on their furniture. That's weird.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page