alternative pain relief - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-10-2008, 03:09 PM
Beginner

i really suffer from period pain and i have to admit this month i have taken 2 nurofen just so i can sleepits that bad. so i can prepare better for next time can anyone recommend alternative pain relief that will be vegan and never tested on animals

xxx
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-10-2008, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

jelly in your belly, not in your welly.....

this is not only jelly, this is marks and spencers jelly
#3 Old 05-10-2008, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Neal Barnard suggests that high intake of dietary fat provides the raw materials for the prostaglandins that cause menstrual pain. I have not found total relief by watching my fat intake, but I've got it down to a level I can tolerate without medication, by following this advice. Hot baths with some lavender essential oil can make the worst of it a lot better too, or a hot water bottle or heating pad.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-10-2008, 04:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Juice Fasting!!!

It cures all.
#5 Old 05-12-2008, 09:24 PM

Ginger tea! I can't swallow pills, but drinking ginger tea gets rid of cramps for me!

I just cut up some ginger, and put it and some brown sugar in water and heat the whole thing up in the microwave - tasty, when it's not needed as medicine, too!

I seem to remember reading somewhere that for some people ginger tea makes for heavier periods, or something like that, so I'd do some research, or watch if heavy periods are already a problem for you.
#6 Old 05-13-2008, 03:51 AM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

Neal Barnard suggests that high intake of dietary fat provides the raw materials for the prostaglandins that cause menstrual pain. I have not found total relief by watching my fat intake, but I've got it down to a level I can tolerate without medication, by following this advice. Hot baths with some lavender essential oil can make the worst of it a lot better too, or a hot water bottle or heating pad.

sorry but i eat hardly any fat at all so im not buying that one! i have the odd packet of crisps but i dont eat chips or anything. im a uk 6-8 which is usa 2-4 (i think)

lavender bath sounds nice but not very practical when imat work lol do you think lavender on a hanky would work?

xx
#7 Old 05-13-2008, 04:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Just because you are a small size does not mean you have a low-fat diet. I'm a size 0, and I consume quite a bit of fat.

Read food labels and write down what you eat. I think you might be surprised. You may be eating healthy foods, but many healthy foods have fat.
#8 Old 05-13-2008, 09:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Ok now I know this isn't healthy but I fast for the first day or so. I eat a little breakfast and once the cramps begin it pretty much no food from then on until the cramps aren't as bad. Just water, juice, maybe ricemilk, and tea.
#9 Old 05-13-2008, 09:54 AM
Banned

heat pads can be quite helpful- hot water bottles and the like.
#10 Old 05-13-2008, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrs-s View Post

sorry but i eat hardly any fat at all so im not buying that one! i have the odd packet of crisps but i dont eat chips or anything. im a uk 6-8 which is usa 2-4 (i think)

lxx

Yikes! this is most likely the reason why u are suffering every month. we need to consume fats on a regular basis, our cells need fats to maintain their structure. if you never eat fats your cells are weak and cause many problems, because they are what we are made up of. also without fats in your diet your hair will not be as shiny or strong as it could, you will have dry sometime flaky skin, and a host of other not attractive qualities.

fats don't make you fat, people need them to be healthy.

stick to unheated e.v. olive oil, raw nuts, avocados, and coconut (especially around your painful time)...you will not get "fat" u will feel better!

also, yoga is amazing, but won't work if your diet isn't adequete. the best poses for cramps are: laying on your back with your butt against a wall and legs straight up the wall (also improves mental state if done for long enough), laying on back hugging knees into chest (try to keep spine flat on the floor), and of course downward facing dog.
#11 Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a friend who swears by raspberry leaf tea. She also says that cutting back on sugar and processed carbs for a few days before helps too. I think warm compresses and a nice bath would help.

I've never really experienced any more than minor discomfort and that was just once.
#12 Old 05-13-2008, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Strengthening my abs really helped me a lot. Also, I used to not believe this before I tried it, but exercising while I'm having my period actually helps me with cramps. I'm talking about somewhat light exercise here, not running marathons.
#13 Old 05-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Banned

I recommend light exercise. Slow stretching and slow abdominal crunches seem to help me with cramping. Warm baths and body massages are also two of the only things that give me any relief as well.

I don't eat a lot of sugary foods or junk foods anymore, but I did notice my cramps/bloating were worse when I was indulging in those kinds of foods (chocolate, etc) during my period.

All of the things I *want* to do when on my period are the very things that I shouldn't be doing (curling up in a ball, popping Ibuprofen and eating the sweets that I crave). Walking, stretching, warm baths/compresses and drinking lots of water are much healthier alternatives.
#14 Old 05-13-2008, 12:14 PM
Banned

Hee, evelinadatta! Great minds!
#15 Old 05-13-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I actually got a great tip on here one day when I had cramps at work and no midol or anything. I get cramps to the point where I can hardly walk...it's definitely no bueno. I found that filling up a 20 oz bottle with hot water and slipping it in my pants right on my abdomen while curling up in the fetal position is a great cure!! Hope it helps you too!! Peace & Love!!
#16 Old 05-15-2008, 10:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Do you live in a state where you could get an prescription for a spice (plant flowers) some people will call them herbs, but since they are the flowers they are technically a spice. My grilfriend says smoking the herbs helps her out a lot during her really bad cramps.

If it's a confusing statement just PM me
#17 Old 05-16-2008, 09:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Does it make much a difference if you're a teenager (I'm seventeen bordering on eighteen- I got my first period when I was twelve)? I have a very heavy flow, especially at the beginning- I rarely get actual cramps, but my lower abdomen has experienced more than once what's bordered on severe pain. Really, just pain, regular soreness- throbbing? I don't know, this is probably a kind of cramp.

Anyway, I've found in these cases that to prevent near-future agony, I really NEED immediate relief, which is usually ibuprofen (sometimes four of them) or aspirin. On another note, when I get headaches they rarely go away on their own very quickly unless I rest or sleep it off, and of course I can't always do that.

Are there any really quick natural methods out there? I suppose tea could be good- keep the ingredients tucked away in your purse/bag somehow around your time of the month and pray that there's a microwave around, but... *Shrugs*

Thanks. Not meaning to sound whiny! I would love to have an alternative to Ibuprofen.
#18 Old 05-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Just because you are a small size does not mean you have a low-fat diet. I'm a size 0, and I consume quite a bit of fat.

Read food labels and write down what you eat. I think you might be surprised. You may be eating healthy foods, but many healthy foods have fat.

Yes, good point. I should have written that the recommended level of dietary fat intake should be 10% or less of your total calorie intake. In other words, if you eat 2000 calories a day, only 200 of them should come from fat, and fat has 9 calories per gram. You should take special care to reduce your intake of polyunsaturated vegetable oils, as these seem to be the building blocks for those painful prostaglandins.

www.thesaucyvegan.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page