Vitamins - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-08-2008, 08:14 AM
Beginner

do you vbother or not? i bought the vegan ones from a local health shop but i dont really think i need them, since becoming veggie i havnt even had a cold!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-08-2008, 11:13 AM
Veggie Regular

My dr. made me take them after my last physical. I had low iron levels and she's concerned about folic acid...even though I'm definitely not planning on having a baby anytime soon, but she's an obstetrician so I guess that's what she's trained to think about.
#3 Old 05-08-2008, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

my veg*n doctor has recommended them as well....sh said its good to cover all your bases and any excess is passed anyway.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-08-2008, 01:15 PM
Veggie Regular

If you are concerned about vitamins

Take a look over here:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=87689
#5 Old 05-08-2008, 02:38 PM
Beginner

I eat such healthier food as vegan, I really don't think I need vitamins. (Even b12 is in fortified soy products, and I know I get plenty of iron, calcium, etc.). But if I'm catching a cold I'll take vitamin C and maybe some A or E...
#6 Old 05-08-2008, 02:43 PM
Veggie Regular

No because I get all my stuff from food.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#7 Old 05-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Nope, I get it all from food, even though I pay no attention to eating x food to get y nutrient. I just eat a low fat whole foods plant-based diet. I know I get it all from food because I've tracked through FitDay and Cron-o-meter.

And while the body does rid itself of some excess, the excess amount itself and the process of doing so can cause problems with other vitamins and minerals and be hard on the organs like the liver and kidneys. For example, excess calcium contributes to kidney stones. And other things, like iron, the body has no mechanism (aside from bleeding) to discard.
#8 Old 05-12-2008, 03:37 AM
Veggie Regular

I still take them, but not everyday like I did as an omni...

Now, if I have a GOOD day, and cover all the food groups, get raw leafies, nuts, fruits, steamed veggies, different beans and grains, etc... Then I don't really bother with them...

...but, if I'm broke and living off of ramen noodles and PB&J's...then yeah, I'll definitely take my supplements.

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#9 Old 05-12-2008, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I take a multivitamin, but I took one before going veg, so it's just habit now.
#10 Old 05-12-2008, 11:32 AM
Veggie Regular

I take a multivitamin, just in case I happen to miss out on something in my diet, but I don't stress over it. I forget to take it half the time. It's a good safety net, "just in case".

--Fromper

#11 Old 05-12-2008, 12:10 PM
Beginner

I take B12 tablets as I was a little low on B12. But my B12 levels are excellent.

Sometimes I take a calcium-magnesium-Vitamin D2 supplement too. But only when I remember.
#12 Old 05-12-2008, 04:31 PM
Beginner

I take a multivitamin with iron everyday- I've been doing this for year- way before I became veg*n.
#13 Old 05-12-2008, 05:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Even though I noticed no difference after I started taking them, I take them anyway. My DR said he believed everyone should take them, no matter how old you are and no matter whether or not you are a vegan. I figured, what's the harm?
#14 Old 05-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

I take the Apex brand Vegan/High Carb multivitamin as a safety net for my diet. Its worked well, and I'm getting my Omega 3 supplements from flax oil caps. I havent had any nutrition problems since I became vegan.
#15 Old 05-13-2008, 11:26 AM
Veggie Regular

no vitamins here, eating good food and getting some sunshine has worked out great for me. also vitamins make my pee either stink or look weird and im not into that at all!
#16 Old 05-13-2008, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I do take them. Although I believe my diet is quite healthy, I still need the B12 and vit. D (in wintertime when there is not enough sun).
#17 Old 05-14-2008, 12:55 PM

im a long time vitamin junkie. take them everyday with out fail!
#18 Old 05-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Veggie Regular

I take a Centrum and a B100 vitamin everyday.

"With confidence, you have won before you have started" - Marcus Garvey
#19 Old 05-15-2008, 02:56 PM
Veggie Regular

After years of not taking them (and thinking the idea of needing them was silly), I have started taking a multi-vitamin. I read a really interesting article about it - the author made the point that even those of us who pay attention to nutrition and try to eat healthy most of the time, still eat less-healthy or processed food some of the time. And it's true, for me. I still eat birthday cake, make cookies now and then, buy crackers, etc. If all I ate was extremely fresh, organic produce, whole unprocessed grains (like wheat berries, not whole wheat bread) and beans, I might feel differently. Since I do eat a certain amount of processed food, I realize that I might come short occasionally. So I take a multi-vitamin just to be on the safe side. I do enjoy Luna Bars occasionally and if I eat one, I'll skip the multi that day, though. Don't want to overdo it!

www.veganspoonful.com
#20 Old 05-15-2008, 04:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I TRY to take an iron supplement and a calcium-magnesium supplement most days, but not at the same time. I also take a B-Vitamin supplement sometimes. I saw a dietitian once because it was free, and she recommended that I take calcium supplements. I think it's pretty difficult for young women to get all the calcium they should without one.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page