Vegan Pediatrician (or vegan-friendly) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 05-05-2008, 10:11 AM

My wife and I (we are both vegan) just had our first child. We are looking for a pediatrician that is vegan or vegan friendly. Our current pediatrician we are not very fond of. We live in Montgomery County Maryland. Any help would be great. Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 05-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't think you necessarily need a vegan pediatrician, just an open hearted, kind one. You should base your choice over the reputation and personality of the doctor, not necessarily their beliefs (in my opinion at least). I've found my doctors all by word of mouth, and while they're not vegan, they're down that I am, and still offer me exceptional care. The primary I had before my current doctor was a schmuck, even if he were a vegan, I'd never trust him with my health.

Just something to think about. I definitely recommend asking around at work, etc.
#3 Old 05-06-2008, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

We'll be switching pediatricians soon. What I suggest is going down the list on your insurance site and giving each one a call. You can usually schedule a visit with them to just talk. Our's isn't crazy about Ares switching over to a vegan diet, but he got over it really fast. I brought him in copies from books I have on healthy vegan kids, and told him I'd made up my mind. You would think most doctors would be smart enough to know you aren't going to curl up and die on a vegan diet.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 05-06-2008, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlmeinberg12 View Post

My wife and I (we are both vegan) just had our first child. We are looking for a pediatrician that is vegan or vegan friendly. Our current pediatrician we are not very fond of. We live in Montgomery County Maryland. Any help would be great. Thanks.

I used to live in Gaithersburg. You might get lucky and find one, but I wouldn't hold my breath. A typical doctor is a product of the fix-illness rather than prevent-illness medical system. A doctor who fails to deliver the conventional wisdom regarding nutrition risks a malpractice lawsuit. I agree with nyk - you may have to use other criteria to select a pediatrician.
#5 Old 05-06-2008, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

It is often recommended that you look for a 7th day adventist physician because of the prevalence of veg*nism in that religion.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#6 Old 05-08-2008, 10:33 PM

My wife and I are in Arlington and are looking for something similar. You could try Vegetarian Resource Group - they are located in MD. Or Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine in DC. They might know of someone. We haven't had our child yet (due in September) so we haven't gotten that far yet. Let me know if you find someone who looks good.
#7 Old 05-09-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangerory View Post

My wife and I are in Arlington and are looking for something similar. You could try Vegetarian Resource Group - they are located in MD. Or Physician's Committee for Responsible Medicine in DC. They might know of someone. We haven't had our child yet (due in September) so we haven't gotten that far yet. Let me know if you find someone who looks good.

Hi, I live in Arlington too. My doctor has been very supportive of my vegan diet, although he himself is not vegan. A friend of mine who's been vegan for 15+ years recommended him to me, and I've had a really great experience. He is general practice though, not pediatrician. If you are intersted, here is his profile:

http://www.virginiahospitalcenter.co...aspx?recid=738
#8 Old 06-07-2008, 09:34 PM

MDs like to prescribe medicine rather than suggest dietary changes. Few MDs really know much about nutrition.

Sad, but true.
#9 Old 04-16-2014, 01:06 PM

Looking for Veggie friendly Pediatrician for our first child due September 2014!  I noticed most of the forum here is quite old wasn't sure if anyone had any new insight for Maryland.  We currently live in Columbia, MD, but are willing to travel a bit if he/she is a good doctor!! 

#10 Old 04-16-2014, 02:41 PM
Don't Eat Animals.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabid_child View Post

It is often recommended that you look for a 7th day adventist physician because of the prevalence of veg*nism in that religion.

This is a good suggestion.  BTW - I used to live in Maryland.

Most MDs don't get ANY information on nutrition, prior to getting their degree.  Sad, isn't it? 

TCM, Ayuveda, and many other avenues are BASED in the nutritional sciences.  Makes sense, right?

If I had to do it over, I'd raise my child vegetarian / vegan.  The health benefits far outweigh the "chicken McNugget" diet of today.

Stand up for what you believe in & raise your child the way you deem appropriate.  Don't compromise.

All animals should be respected & should have the ability to lead a natural & enjoyable life. This means not eating them, or abusing them in any way.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page