Who's in?!? I know you've had days like i just did... - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 04-06-2008, 08:52 PM
Veggie Regular

thatoneguy...

that just makes me want to cry.

i dont know how it is that pple who claim to love you or plan on having you into the family cannot take the time to know you, respect your beliefs, and not be so passive aggressive. i know what a hostile environment it can be when you feel like you have to defend yourself, and your core beliefs.

maybe sitting down and speaking to her one on one to explain the depths of your choices...that its not just a dietary choice...would help?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM
Veggie Regular

as for the "commune" i was just joking to my vegan potluckers who came to my house, the other weekend to pick out houses. i have a street full of homes that are for sale. we could start w/ the street, and then work into town...its small, we could do it!!!!
#33 Old 04-06-2008, 08:54 PM

Thanks, LucidAnne!

She's not the kind of person I could do that with. Basically, my only outlet is to come here and talk to other vegn*s.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 04-06-2008, 08:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

as for the "commune" i was just joking to my vegan potluckers who came to my house, the other weekend to pick out houses. i have a street full of homes that are for sale. we could start w/ the street, and then work into town...its small, we could do it!!!!

All joking aside, I'm building a treehouse in the rain forest, in a new community that is completely green, self-sustainable and focussed on wellness and happiness. There's already another vegan there, and if anyone wants to join me in my quest send me a PM and I'll get you the details. It's not a commune, but it's really darn cool! There's even going to be a yoga center / natural restaurant.
#35 Old 04-06-2008, 09:11 PM

Oh yeah, I forget to mention my fiances mom also said I eat stuff that even dogs wouldn't eat. I was like, yes! That's right!

Don't they understand how crappy it is to eat stuff that dogs like?!
#36 Old 04-06-2008, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

Oh yeah, I forget to mention my fiances mom also said I eat stuff that even dogs wouldn't eat. I was like, yes! That's right!

Don't they understand how crappy it is to eat stuff that dogs like?!

Wow, I seriously cannot believe they are so rude to you, even if it's in jest.. which it doesn't sound like it is. Props to you for putting up with that. I feel for you, but can't relate as my last GFs entire family was vegetarian, and it was awesome. Sorry, not the time and place
#37 Old 04-06-2008, 10:06 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm seriously interested, though I'm not going anymore until I finish high school. But then, I'd move to any vegan commune that was reasonably near a college.
#38 Old 04-06-2008, 10:15 PM
Veggie Regular

ive never had my dogs refuse my food. they esp go crazy for anything w/ spice...buffalo wings, snausages, carrots!!

though

you should tell her that dogs eat ****. their pallats are hardly as refined as a veg'n.

heehee.

what is it that this family does eat??? do they not eat the mysterious veggie, bean or fruit???

THATS not normal.
#39 Old 04-06-2008, 10:27 PM
Veggie Regular

That would be amazing if some of you guys (well, most likely girls!) manage to start up some sort of commune... If I were in a different place in my life I'd be totally into the idea. Good luck in trying!
#40 Old 04-06-2008, 10:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

That would be amazing if some of you guys (well, most likely girls!) manage to start up some sort of commune... If I were in a different place in my life I'd be totally into the idea. Good luck in trying!

ohhh, I'm doing it, my house is already on the market... no turning back! It will be waiting for you when you're ready
#41 Old 04-07-2008, 08:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenrunner View Post

All joking aside, I'm building a treehouse in the rain forest, in a new community that is completely green, self-sustainable and focussed on wellness and happiness. There's already another vegan there, and if anyone wants to join me in my quest send me a PM and I'll get you the details. It's not a commune, but it's really darn cool! There's even going to be a yoga center / natural restaurant.

That's awesome!

My husband and I have talked about trying to move to Dancing Rabbit, or another eco village. I think I'm a lot more serious about it then he is though.
#42 Old 04-07-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LucidAnne View Post

what is it that this family does eat??? do they not eat the mysterious veggie, bean or fruit???

Her mom is the kind of person who would rather make food then go out to eat, which is good but she's the kind of person who puts animal products in everything (country cooking I guess). I live in Indianapolis. They usually have chicken... roast... meat centered stuff (she put sausage in the spaghetti sauce last night although she was kind enough to make a separate thing of spaghetti sauce without sausage for my fiance). Her mom has come a looooooooong way with my eating habits and after 5 years (3 on and off, 2 on) has started to acknowledge that I'm vegetarian (my fiance doesn't eat much meat). So, I will give her credit that she is starting to make separate vegetarian stuff for us, but she's not digging the vegan thing at all. And if you look at my vegan thread or my other threads you'll see that the main reason I held off with going vegan was because of her (my future MIL).

Anyway, I just look at it like well after a few years she FINALLY starting to acknowledge that I'm vegetarian and started to make separate veggie meals so hopefully it will be the same thing with veganism. Hopefully by 2012, lol, she acknowledge I'm vegan.

Edit - I forgot to mention that she does make beans, but she puts a ham bone in it then gets mad when I don't eat any becuase of the ham bone.
#43 Old 04-07-2008, 10:32 AM

Quote:

that is amazing. that is probably my life dream.

I don't know that i need a commune. I just need to meet some freaking vegans around here. do you guys just feel different than omnis? I feel like i approach situations differently than the people around me. I think most people i know just lack compassion. period. thats it. a large percent of omnis (at least the ones i know) aren't compassionate. They see things right now. today. they figure out what will benefit them best and that is what they do. completely ignoring other peoples needs. i suppose that is a pretty harsh statement.... sorry omnis.

back to point! LETS GO GUYS!! LETS START A COMMUNITY! WE CAN LIVE COMPLETELY GREEN. TOTALLY SUSTAINABLE. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE NEXT DOOR THAT SHARES YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT ANIMALS AND THE ENVIROMENT AND PEOPLE. aaand. think of the potlucks!! haha
#44 Old 04-07-2008, 11:02 AM
Veggie Regular

It is hard looking around at all of the people you work with and spend time with and knowing that they don't think veganism is the only answer. To me it is. There are no questions, it is as obvious as turning on the lights when it gets dark. I can't understand why it isn't for others.

Yes, I would love to live in a community with other vegans. People who get it, who understand where I am coming from...
#45 Old 04-07-2008, 11:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfrey View Post

that is amazing. that is probably my life dream.

I don't know that i need a commune. I just need to meet some freaking vegans around here. do you guys just feel different than omnis? I feel like i approach situations differently than the people around me. I think most people i know just lack compassion. period. thats it. a large percent of omnis (at least the ones i know) aren't compassionate. They see things right now. today. they figure out what will benefit them best and that is what they do. completely ignoring other peoples needs. i suppose that is a pretty harsh statement.... sorry omnis.

back to point! LETS GO GUYS!! LETS START A COMMUNITY! WE CAN LIVE COMPLETELY GREEN. TOTALLY SUSTAINABLE. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE SOMEONE NEXT DOOR THAT SHARES YOUR FEELINGS ABOUT ANIMALS AND THE ENVIROMENT AND PEOPLE. aaand. think of the potlucks!! haha

Yes, I feel that way completely.. about the people lacking compassion. I sent you the info, let's go do it. We need to get as many vegans there as possible. I'm going to that vegan chef school while my treehouse is being built, so I'll totally be bringing kick-ass dishes to the potlucks!
#46 Old 04-07-2008, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, I feel that way completely.. about the people lacking compassion. I sent you the info, let's go do it. We need to get as many vegans there as possible. I'm going to that vegan chef school while my treehouse is being built, so I'll totally be bringing kick-ass dishes to the potlucks!

that place looks sooo incredible! Come on kids- lets head to costa rica!! I know i will think about this every day for the rest of my life...i should really just go
#47 Old 04-07-2008, 10:46 PM

Quote:

that place looks sooo incredible! Come on kids- lets head to costa rica!! I know i will think about this every day for the rest of my life...i should really just go

I'll always have a room open for you or any fellow vegans to check out! Hopefully it will be built and I will be living there full time by January. "Get out of my dreams, and into my car"
#48 Old 04-08-2008, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

This reminds me of a guy I went to college with. We weren't "friends" per se, but we had several classes together and were on friendly terms--we'd frequently make small talk before class began.

One day, one of my professors asked me a few questions about veg*nism during classtime. Mainly he just wanted to know what sort of things I personally would and would not eat. I didn't like being called out that way, but I gave some simple answers with no big AR speeches or anything of that nature.

This one particular guy, however, got very agitated. "I think everyone should eat whatever they want, and everybody else should just shut up about it," he interrupted the teacher.

After that, there was a sea change in his behavior toward me. He stopped speaking to me before class, and the only ackowledgement he would give my presence was the occasional dirty look. It was just amazing...one of the most extreme reactions I've had.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#49 Old 04-08-2008, 07:59 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Where's this vegan chef school you speak of?
#50 Old 04-08-2008, 08:20 AM
Veggie Regular

yeah, where is this vegan chef school?

and where are you planning on starting the commune? I'm on the fense about it, if it were somewhere near a city where I could work (we still need money) then I'd be in. Or if not, you should have a little hotel for vegan visitors like me
#51 Old 04-08-2008, 09:45 AM

Quote:

I'll always have a room open for you or any fellow vegans to check out! Hopefully it will be built and I will be living there full time by January. "Get out of my dreams, and into my car"

don't tease me, haha. i would be visiting monthly...how long is a flight to costa rica?
#52 Old 04-08-2008, 10:11 AM
Veggie Regular

from where?
#53 Old 04-08-2008, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nykoelle View Post

yeah, where is this vegan chef school?

and where are you planning on starting the commune? I'm on the fense about it, if it were somewhere near a city where I could work (we still need money) then I'd be in. Or if not, you should have a little hotel for vegan visitors like me

It's the Bauman College in California.

baumancollege.org/

It's not strictly vegan, but can be modified for vegans (I believe there's just one class or two that you have to skip/modify.. other than that it's all plant based). I'm starting in September in Berkeley, if anyone else wants to come

The treehouse community isn't really a commune.. it's a village, in the middle of a rainforest, and I didn't start it I was reading an adventure magazine and saw an ad for it in the back, and knew right away it was for me! I know that others have purchased lots there for the pure reason of having a bed and breakfast, and I'll certainly have a small guest house, and anyone here is invited and I'm not teasing or joking
#54 Old 04-10-2008, 09:35 AM

Quote:

and I'll certainly have a small guest house, and anyone here is invited and I'm not teasing or joking

haha, ill be there then
#55 Old 04-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Beginner

@ Original poster:

HA HA! Silly veggie! You don't want cancer and heart disease like us NORMAL people! HA HA! Why don't you marry a cow! HAW HAW!

#56 Old 04-12-2008, 04:33 PM
Beginner

Isn't it odd how when you show compassion, the omnis treat YOU as the odd one? And yet they see nothing odd about having just made a statement etc demonstrating total lack of compassion? It does get frustrating sometimes when you have to hesitate to say something compassionate because you know they'll act like you're being offensive for just caring about an animal.
#57 Old 04-12-2008, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by journey View Post

Isn't it odd how when you show compassion, the omnis treat YOU as the odd one? And yet they see nothing odd about having just made a statement etc demonstrating total lack of compassion? It does get frustrating sometimes when you have to hesitate to say something compassionate because you know they'll act like you're being offensive for just caring about an animal.

Perfectly said.
#58 Old 04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

So it is surely time to start my vegan commune. I've been thinking about it for some time and now seems as perfect a day as any.

I'm so sick of omnivores right now. i need a vegan friend around here.

A commune is the perfect idea. A completely self-sustainable vegan community. It's the little happy place i go to when i get really overwhelmed.

I've never picked a fight. When people ridicule my lifestyle choices i don't take shots at them. Why can i not go one day, just one, without the annoying conversations with family, friends and above all co-workers.

how is a bowl of brown rice and steamed vegetables so bizarre that you cant just let me eat it in peace? you are stuffing your face with a dead cow topped with dead pig and a side of HEART ATTACK! I get caught reading a book about global warming and it turns into some huge political statement somehow...im just reading a book, i didnt try to kill Bush or anything. Every article of clothing i wear gets made fun of because its organic. i mean really...how can someone make fun of me for that!!??

i know. im rambling. and i know...im not in high school and i should now be able to handle *******s like this without letting it frazzle my feathers.

i just want ONE day of peace. Its like my choices directly influence their lives.

Does ANYONE have days like this?? Does anyone else just wish there was a place nearby that could serve as a save haven for all animal and nature loving people?

I haven't read the whole thread, but YES I have had that happen a lot! My response is the same every time: "I don't bother you about your dietary choices, so stop bothering me about mine". It works nearly every time, but then I've never met anyone who's been a real *sshole about it.
#59 Old 04-15-2008, 09:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Whenever we live with differing views, there will be clashes and arguments.

Unfortunately, we will always live with differing views. Once people learn to accept that, it will come down to how we react and live that truly makes a difference.

Next time that someone confronts you about your choices of what to eat or what not to eat, simply smile and smile and bow to them in respect. There is no reason to argue, scream, yell, or fight. Obviously, with people such as the ones that confront you with no reason, all of these actions will make no difference in them.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page