Falafel - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-29-2008, 02:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Is falafel by default vegan? Or is there a way to make it with dairy or eggs? I ask this because I am planning on going to a restaurant and ordering falafel, and want to make sure it is vegan.

veganGO -
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
forum for vegan activists.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-29-2008, 02:49 AM
Beginner

it can have eggs added to it... When i was taught the first time in Jordan it was with eggs... after coming back to the US i discovered that majority do not use eggs... but 99.9% of the time it is vegan. Most Arab resturants that serve it make it without eggs. I don't know about those from other cultures though.
#3 Old 03-29-2008, 06:58 AM
Veggie Regular

i live in the middle east for five years and never once saw falafel made with eggs, or anything else non-vegan for that matter. In the US particularly it is not something you need to worry about.

[quote]

1 cup dried chickpeas or 16 oz. can of chickpeas or garbanzo beans.

1 large onion, chopped

2 cloves of garlic, chopped

3 tablespoons of fresh parsley, chopped

1 teaspoon coriander

1 teaspoon cumin

2 tablespoons flour

Salt

Pepper

Oil for frying[\\quote]

This is essentially the recipe for EVERY falafel, some families may just add different spices, more or less, or such.

Hope that helped
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-29-2008, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Ask the place you are going to if the falafel is vegan. Sometimes it is served with a yogurt sauce. I went to a place that drizzled it over the falafel, so you'll want to ask ahead of time.
#5 Old 03-29-2008, 07:48 AM

Wow, I've never heard of falafel made with eggs, and I've eaten a LOT of falafel. It can occasionally have honey in it (it's a Moroccan thing), but mostly I think you just have to be concerned with what they put on top of the falafel.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#6 Old 03-29-2008, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

There's a place here that makes it with eggs. So I always ask. But I think other people are right and MOST of the time it is vegan.
#7 Old 03-29-2008, 09:06 AM
Veggie Regular

I've never had (as far as I know) Falafel made with egg. I always ask for chilli sauce instead of the yoghurty one
#8 Old 03-29-2008, 02:23 PM
Beginner

I think it was a regional thing with the eggs (or thought they needed protein or something because i use the exact same recipe now minus egg and it is the same)... like i said... i think about 99.9% of the time it is vegan...
#9 Old 03-30-2008, 09:57 PM

Tahini sauce is soo good, and I think it's usually served with falafel. It's good with hummus too
#10 Old 03-31-2008, 09:38 AM
Veggie Regular

I saw a new one today: Spinach and Ricotta falafel. WHYYYYYY?!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page