To anyone interested in homemade coconut milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-25-2008, 05:17 PM

I shared my unfortunate experience with making rice milk: I tried it two different ways, but just loathed it...absolutely loathed it, I found. But coconut milk was another story, it went reallywell...I love the taste, it's easy, cost-effective, and not the least bit overwhelming in coffee (which was my paramount object)...

So, here goes:

You need a bag of shredded coconut (I used the sweetened flakes), a blender, a thin dishcloth and water (it should be warm). Yep, that's it!

Blend coconut and water (the ratio of coconut to water is 1 to 2 but I've found the eyes and intuition yield pretty much the same results - less water= creamier "milk," more= a lighter, watery liquid). Blend for several seconds (okay, I'm way laissez faire...blend until it looks "done" lol). Put the dishcloth over a large cup and pour the blended mixture over the cloth. You're going to wring the towel, extracting the "milk" from the mixture, so you're going to need to only pour a manageable amount of it onto the dishcloth. Repeat as many times as needed.

And, that's it! Someone asked me to post pictures and my brother actually bought me a digital video camera but I have yet to actually use it...It's just decoration at this point, in a crossbody bag, swinging from the corner of one of my dressers... So, if I get it all worked out, I'll post a video and stills. I promise!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-25-2008, 05:53 PM
Veggie Regular

I also like making coconut milk by buying "young coconut", opening it, and pouring out the milk. Yum.

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/youngcoconuts.html
#3 Old 03-25-2008, 06:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Sun View Post

I also like making coconut milk by buying "young coconut", opening it, and pouring out the milk. Yum.

http://www.living-foods.com/articles/youngcoconuts.html

Is this more sarcasm? Because coconut water and coconut milk are two different things... Unless it turns out that I'm wrong/should have bothered to click on the link...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-25-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula View Post

Is this more sarcasm? Because coconut water and coconut milk are two different things... Unless it turns out that I'm wrong/should have bothered to click on the link...

No, you're not wrong. Coconut water is from young coconuts.

Coconut milk is from the meat of mature coconuts.

And if you've never made it with a fresh coconut, not shredded, you're missing out!!
#5 Old 03-25-2008, 07:06 PM

Thanks! And, I bet it is much much better when made from a fresh coconut, I just lack the patience!
#6 Old 03-25-2008, 07:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula View Post

More sarcasm??? Are you suggesting that one of my other posts on VB was sarcastic?

No, I thought they were the same. Well, they kinda are. The way I understand it is this:

The young coconut has more fluid than "mature" coconuts. I'm guessing that over time the fluid becomes the hard white coconut meat (there is very little water in an old coconut). In the link I provided they mix the water and the meat (which is really soft) and blend it. So in my version there is no added water because it is liquidy enough and in your version you have to add water to make the milk. So it's the same thing except you add water.

The link is good though, check it out.
#7 Old 03-25-2008, 07:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

The young coconut has more fluid than "mature" coconuts. I'm guessing that over time the fluid becomes the hard white coconut meat (there is very little water in an old coconut).

I do get quite a good quantity of water from older coconuts, and I like the taste better too. One of my favorite things to do is poke out those soft spots in the shell, put a straw in, and just drink the water like that.

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#8 Old 03-25-2008, 07:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In the link I provided they mix the water and the meat (which is really soft) and blend it. So in my version there is no added water because it is liquidy enough and in your version you have to add water to make the milk. So it's the same thing except you add water.

The link is good though, check it out.

Hmm, I've had a lot of young coconuts and there is nothing in there I could call coconut milk. They're really bitter compared to a mature coconut. I love to tear strips off them (it's very fibrous and soaked in the water if someone reading this hasn't had one) and suck/chew on them. It's kind of like chewing tobacco without all the cancer. And coconut water is great!
#9 Old 03-25-2008, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomebodyElse View Post

I do get quite a good quantity of water from older coconuts, and I like the taste better too. One of my favorite things to do is poke out those soft spots in the shell, put a straw in, and just drink the water like that.

Hmmm... all the old coconuts I've had had so little water -- and the young ones have tons of water. And I've never pushed out a soft spot on a coconut -- I never knew you could.
#10 Old 03-25-2008, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Hmm, I've had a lot of young coconuts and there is nothing in there I could call coconut milk. They're really bitter compared to a mature coconut. I love to tear strips off them (it's very fibrous and soaked in the water if someone reading this hasn't had one) and suck/chew on them. It's kind of like chewing tobacco without all the cancer. And coconut water is great!

I've never had bitter young coconut milk. And the creamy inner flesh of the young coconut is so good. I haven't had one in over a year though.
#11 Old 03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Yeah, the three spots I've highlighted in this picture can be pushed open with your finger on young green coconuts, or with a screwdriver in older ones. I poke two holes. One for the straw, and one to let air in.
LL

www.thesaucyvegan.com
#12 Old 03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Did you just make that picture? Cool.

How to open a coconut: http://www.howtoopenacoconut.com/
#13 Old 03-25-2008, 10:53 PM
Bof
Banned

Would coconut milk work in tea or coffee? I suspect not.
#14 Old 03-25-2008, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't drink tea or coffee so I don't know.

Quote:
A thick and tropical coffee recipe, using an entire coconut (both the milk and the tasty meat). This exotic coffee drink deserves a little paper umbrella.

INGREDIENTS:

* 1 whole coconut

* 2 cups milk

* 4 cups strong coffee

* 1 tbs sugar

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/hotcof...oconutmilk.htm
#15 Old 03-25-2008, 11:34 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:

I don't drink tea or coffee so I don't know.

http://coffeetea.about.com/od/hotcof...oconutmilk.htm

I'm salivating!
#16 Old 03-26-2008, 01:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

Would coconut milk work in tea or coffee? I suspect not.

Coconut milk works very well with coffee.

Try using coconut water for tea. I've never done it but I'm thinking it'd be good.
#17 Old 03-26-2008, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

I'm salivating!

Well my dear put your teeth back in.
#18 Old 03-26-2008, 03:42 PM

Quote:

Coconut milk works very well with coffee.

Try using coconut water for tea. I've never done it but I'm thinking it'd be good.

Yep! I'm actually having some now. It's not overwhelming at all... Other than the layer of film that builds as the coffee cools, it's just like adding milk. I couldn't say about tea, though...
#19 Old 03-26-2008, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Actually I like the sound of this enough to try it.

Update tomorrow.
#20 Old 03-29-2008, 11:35 AM
Beginner

How long does leftover canned coconut milk keep for in the fridge?
#21 Old 03-29-2008, 11:52 AM
Veggie Regular

Oops, I forgot to get coconut water to try with tea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

How long does leftover canned coconut milk keep for in the fridge?

Definitely less than a week; after that the fat starts to separate and it gets... weird. Basically you get a thin liquid and a semi-hard clump of coconut fat.

You can freeze it, though.
#22 Old 08-28-2013, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Update: Coconut water and tea is super gross. I was really disappointed.

#23 Old 08-29-2013, 11:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Waikikamukau View Post

Update: Coconut water and tea is super gross. I was really disappointed.

I love coconut, but I do not like coconut water. It's yuck. I hear that the flavored ones are better, but I'd think all that added sugar kinda nullifies any real benefits. sick.gif

Aristedebook2.gif

"Now listen, I know you've got to think about your image, 'cause image is important to you, because of course your friends are gonna dictate your actions through the rest of your lives, and I wouldn't want you to step away from them and become an individual, that would almost be too much!"...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page