Enzymes? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-13-2008, 01:33 PM
Veggie Regular

I recently read somewhere - could have been here - that enzymes such as used in bread aren't always vegetarian. They can be derived from an animal source such as rennet (?). So should I assume a bread that just says "enzymes" may not be veggie?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-13-2008, 01:42 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifeDrngWartime View Post

I recently read somewhere - could have been here - that enzymes such as used in bread aren't always vegetarian. They can be derived from an animal source such as rennet (?). So should I assume a bread that just says "enzymes" may not be veggie?

Do you happen to have a picture of an ingredient list listing enzymes?

I wouldn't think enzymes would be considered part of an ingredient, and the enzymes in food are there because they're there naturally (you make your own, plants, and animals).
#3 Old 03-13-2008, 02:10 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

In the US, enzymes can be listed (particularly in cheeses) and it can mean rennet. Not fun. But the only way to know is to contact the manufacturer. HTH!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-13-2008, 02:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Hmm... I don't have a picture. But basically it will just say, "flour, yeast, salt, enzymes", or maybe sometimes "dough conditioner (enzymes)". I'm pretty sure they actually add the enzymes in there, and I'm wondering what the source is. How likely is it that bread would use enzymes from rennet or some other animal source?

I know they can tell you more about the enzymes... they just don't with the breads that I've looked at. I ended up getting some sprouted bread last time that didn't say anything about enzymes, it's not bad but I don't want to get it all the time.
#5 Old 03-13-2008, 03:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Hmm... I don't have a picture. But basically it will just say, "flour, yeast, salt, enzymes", or maybe sometimes "dough conditioner (enzymes)". I'm pretty sure they actually add the enzymes in there, and I'm wondering what the source is. How likely is it that bread would use enzymes from rennet or some other animal source?

I know they can tell you more about the enzymes... they just don't with the breads that I've looked at. I ended up getting some sprouted bread last time that didn't say anything about enzymes, it's not bad but I don't want to get it all the time.

I have never encountered this, so i'm not sure.

This article doesn't really answer your question, but it is definitely related.

I know it would take more time, but if you have the freezer space you could make several loaves at a time, and freeze them, they will essentially last forever if sealed properly.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page