Coconut Milk - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 03-11-2008, 01:58 PM

I've tried to make rice milk (didn't turn out so well) and now I'm off to another adventure: coconut milk. Has anyone made their own coconut milk? Any suggestions, recipes, warnings?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 03-11-2008, 04:33 PM

Coconut milk? Wouldn't you just smash a coconut open and pour the milk out?

I like to make soy milk:

The old way:

soak soy beans in water over night, blend 1 part soy beans and 2 parts water in blender, strain with cheese cloth, boil

The new way:

soak soy beans in water over night, use a soy milk maker

Having a soy milk maker is convenient, the old way can be fun. I have a Soyapower soy milk maker (soymilkmaker.com). Homemade soy milk taste A LOT different than store bought, not bad, but different.
#3 Old 03-11-2008, 06:34 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd like to try coconut milk, but coconut in large quantities is difficult to come by here. It probably tastes WAY better than the canned coconut milk, though, which is yummy but rather rich. I've seen some recipes for it online. I wonder if it is better to use the thin coconut or those big thick pieces to get a better milk?

I made cashew milk twice last week, and it was quite, quite tasty. I added a couple of drops of vanilla, some agave, and a pinch of salt. I need to buy some more cashews, because now it's gone and it was that good.

If you make the coconut milk, I'd like to know how it comes out.

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 03-11-2008, 06:49 PM

I watched my grandma make coconut milk when I was little.

From what I remember, she cracked open the coconut and collected the loose liquid then grated off the white flesh into a muslin cloth and then squeezed and twisted all the juice out (into a separate bowl). She soaked the grated flesh in water and squeezed out some more as a different batch of milk.

#5 Old 03-11-2008, 06:53 PM
Veggie Regular

Wow, that sounds good! Too bad I've never seen a whole coconut on sale anywhere I've been, or I'd have a batch made by tomorrow. Do you remember how long she soaked the grated flesh?

(Grandmas make the best stuff.)

"Somewhere along the way, someone is going to tell you, 'There is no "I" in team.' What you should tell them is, 'Maybe not. But there is an "I" in independence, individuality and integrity." Â George Carlin
#6 Old 03-11-2008, 07:09 PM

Hmmm, I don't really remember sorry, time and size were all a bit kooky back when I could headbutt table corners :S

I read a recipe online just now but they didn't mention any timescales. They did say to soak the grated flesh in hot water before the first squeeze though.
#7 Old 03-11-2008, 07:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

Coconut milk? Wouldn't you just smash a coconut open and pour the milk out?

I like to make soy milk:

The old way:

soak soy beans in water over night, blend 1 part soy beans and 2 parts water in blender, strain with cheese cloth, boil

The new way:

soak soy beans in water over night, use a soy milk maker

Having a soy milk maker is convenient, the old way can be fun. I have a Soyapower soy milk maker (soymilkmaker.com). Homemade soy milk taste A LOT different than store bought, not bad, but different.

The liquid in the coconut is coconut water. Coconut milk is made by pressing plain water through the coconut meat. There is a huge difference in nutritive and fat content, and they taste very much different.

I don't think that making your own coconut milk would be very cost-effective, but good luck!
#8 Old 03-12-2008, 08:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Brazil

Coconut Milk

Coconut meat and the milk made from it are key components in Brazilian cookery. It is easy to make coconut milk from freshly grated coconut and capture the authentic taste of Brazilian dishes using it. A thick, rich milk is produced from the first squeezing of the gratings; a thinner milk is derived from a second round of squeezing.

1 coconut*

1/2 cup warm water (for thick milk)

2 to 3 cups warm water (for thin milk)

Heat the coconut in a preheated oven (350 degrees F) for 10 minutes to crack the coconut. Remove the coconut from the oven (with pot holders!) and place it in a large metal bowl on the floor. Cover the bowl with a towel and hit the coconut with a hammer to break it completely open. More than one strike may be necessary. Remove the pieces of broken coconut from the bowl. Strain the coconut water (agua de cuco) that is released through a coffee filter to remove any fibers, and set aside. Separate the coconut meat from the shell, using a dull knife to pry them apart if necessary.

Remove the brown skin from the coconut meat with a vegetable peeler and grate the meat in a food processor.

To make the thick milk, put the gratings into cheesecloth or a clean white dish towel and hold the ends together. Soak the wrapped gratings in 1/2 cup warm water in a small bowl for a few minutes. Firmly squeeze the gratings over the bowl. About 3/4 cup of thick milk will be obtained. A less efficient method of making thick coconut milk is to put the grated coconut in a sieve, wet it with warm water, and press out the milk with a spoon.

Thin milk is made by soaking the same wrapped gratings in 2 to 3 cups of warm water and repeating the squeezing procedure. (Use the reserved coconut water and bring the volume to 2 to 3 cups with warm water.)

Canned or bottled coconut milk can be purchased at specialty stores. Dishes made with it, however, will not have the authentic Brazilian taste that is provided by freshly prepared coconut milk.

*Before buying a coconut, shake it to make sure it contains water.

Link

I'm slightly confused. I've made lots of nut milks in the past, and it seems very similar to the way they make coconut milk. Although by the directions it doesn't seem as if you would be able to achieve the thick creaminess that comes out of a can.

OP- if you make this please take some pictures that can somewhat show the viscosity, thanks!
#9 Old 03-12-2008, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by abroadinSacto View Post

The liquid in the coconut is coconut water. Coconut milk is made by pressing plain water through the coconut meat. There is a huge difference in nutritive and fat content, and they taste very much different.

Oh! That sounds good.
#10 Old 03-12-2008, 07:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

Oh! That sounds good.

just an aside - coconut water was used as a substitute for intravenously fed glucose (successfully) in the Solomon Islands during WWII.
#11 Old 03-12-2008, 07:25 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

just an aside - coconut water was used as a substitute for intravenously fed glucose (successfully) in the Solomon Islands during WWII.

quite an aside, if i may say so
#12 Old 03-13-2008, 08:29 PM

be careful... its my understanding that coconut milk has a laxative effect. I love it to make soups, curries, and sauces... but drinking I haven't tried. I would say the breaking of all the coconuts it would take to make a reasonable amount of milk should be counted as exercise :-) I use to do it with a hammer... any suggestions on doing it faster/easier???
#13 Old 03-13-2008, 09:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper1971 View Post

be careful... its my understanding that coconut milk has a laxative effect. I love it to make soups, curries, and sauces... but drinking I haven't tried. I would say the breaking of all the coconuts it would take to make a reasonable amount of milk should be counted as exercise :-) I use to do it with a hammer... any suggestions on doing it faster/easier???

A cleaver or machete, if you know how to use them, work perfectly.
#14 Old 03-14-2008, 11:11 AM

I haven't made the coconut milk yet, but I did try my hand at rice milk again this morning... I'd already tried two different recipes, one that required the rice to be soaked overnight and blended uncooked and another in which it was to be cooked directly before blending... Well, this morning I tried pouring the rice straight from the bag into the blender with a bit of lukewarm water. And, the result was a very thin airy liquid but I much preferred it to the taste/consistency of the other two liquids. I had it in my coffee...

I should be making the coconut milk later today...I'll check in with you about it tonight.
#15 Old 03-14-2008, 12:22 PM
Beginner

Quote:

I don't think that making your own coconut milk would be very cost-effective, but good luck!

Huummm, coconut water!

There's a coconut water stand a block away from my house... If it wasn't raining I would be there right now!

(Don't we have a smile liking his lips for moments like that?)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page