Weight Maintenence - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-16-2008, 09:54 AM

Hi There,

So, as I mentioned in my intro, I have been vegetarian for about 3 solid years with an exception. About a year ago, I started working a job that demanded alot of me physically and lost weight rapidly. "What is rapidly?" you ask. Forty pounds in four months. I went from about 180 down to 140 and lost about a size and a half in jeans.

That's when I went to see a new physician. He is a pretty Holistic guy, a former Tri-athlete and former Vegan. The demands that he was putting on his body were too hard for him to maintain his vegan diet apparently and so he no longer believes it is a viable option. That may be true for him, but I'm not a tri-athlete nor do I want to be, so veganism is still an open door for me. His recommendation was to start eating some of the fattier fish again at least once a month.

I am burning somewhere between 3000-4000 calories a day and it has taken me a year to get my weight back to 155 following my doctor's advice. However, I am wanting to make the switch to a vegan diet and am concerned with another potential drastic weight loss which at this point I am pretty sure would impact my energy level.

Now to my request for your advice. Do any of you have very active lifestyles that require you count calories not for weight loss but for weight gain? How do you plan your meals, snacks, etc. to keep you going and maintain a good energy level?

The idea that I have is to carefully plan several day long menus that I can rotate through and then come up with more as I build my vegan recipe repertoire so that I can keep the variety interesting. It seems like I might be limited for a while in the beginning when I am learning more about the nutritional and caloric content of my meals.

Is this the way to go, or am I making this out to be harder than it needs to be? Any experiences or advice will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brayden
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-16-2008, 09:57 AM

Addendum:

My wife has different energy requirements of course, how do I do this and not impact her adversely? Is this just a portion control issue? Or do you think that I will simply be eating more than three meals, some of which she would not be partaking in?

Brayden
#3 Old 02-16-2008, 10:26 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd say try to eat whenever you can. Just always have some snacks around. Lots of fatty food like nuts, seeds, avacados. Try to carbo load every night at dinner eat extra helpings of rice, pasta, quinoa, whatever you have. Your wife doesn't need the extra helping if she doesn't want.

How many calories and you getting now? What does your diet look like?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2008, 10:44 AM
Veggie Regular

Nuts are a wonderful whack of high calories.. what if you tried to get a cup in a day? That's like 600 calories right there! Tons of nutrients too!
#5 Old 02-16-2008, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayden View Post

I am burning somewhere between 3000-4000 calories a day

What are you doing to burn 3,000-4,000 calories and how do you know that is the case?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 02-16-2008, 11:33 AM
Veggie Regular

I wish I knew...high calories healthy diets are really tough.. No easy answers.

As I type this I'm eating crackers with avocado. I made myself learn to like this just for weight gaining purposes.
#7 Old 02-16-2008, 12:27 PM

How about making some vegan shakes? Soy milk as the base, maybe some soy protein powder, add some fattening stuff like dates, coconut milk... that kind of stuff. I'm sure you could find some recipes on vegan body building sites. Take it with you in a thermos.
#8 Old 02-16-2008, 12:51 PM

I would suggest that you buy Brendan Brazier's book "The Thrive Diet" he is a tri-athelete and a raw vegan. If he can do it anyone can. We are not raw vegan however, I did find his book very helpful and we incorporate many of his food suggestions in our daily life.

Good luck.
#9 Old 02-16-2008, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatoneguy View Post

How about making some vegan shakes? Soy milk as the base, maybe some soy protein powder, add some fattening stuff like dates, coconut milk... that kind of stuff. I'm sure you could find some recipes on vegan body building sites. Take it with you in a thermos.

I posted this elsewhere and think it may help here too:

I make shakes/smoothies for my Beau with coconut milk, hemp protein powder, Kashi GoLean powder, soy milk, ground flax, Udo's oil and fruit. Sometimes nuts and seeds make an appearance, like cashew macadamia butter.

Let's add that up, without the "extras"!

Banana: 100 calories

Mango: 100 calories

Blueberries: 50 calories

Strawberries: 50 calories

Udo's Oil: 250 calories

Hemp protein powder: 120 calories

Ground flax: 100 calories

Coconut milk: 300 calories

Soy milk (often Silk Plus Omega): 110 calories

Kashi GoLean Vanilla mix: 220 calories http://store.kashi.com/shakes_pd_van...53&Link_ID=20&

So, 1,400 in a SHAKE. 60+ grams of protein. 25+ grams of fiber. I DARE you to try it. It tastes good too.

It can be made with less expensive ingredients too, like more bananas, peanut butter, hemp* and sunflower seed, soy protein powder (Trader Joe's has a good one that is VERY inexpensive and isn't soy protein isolate) whatever low cost good oils are available, more ground flax etc...

*I realize hemp isn't cheap, but it is a nutritional powerhouse. The seeds in bulk may be less expensive than the protein powder, depending on where you shop.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#10 Old 02-16-2008, 03:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

What are you doing to burn 3,000-4,000 calories and how do you know that is the case?

This is just an estimate really, and currently it is probably on the lower side. I am working at Whole Foods. So I am constantly lifting between 1-75 lbs. for about 6 hours a day and am walking about 2.5 miles just in the store on a normal day. This doesn't include all of my activity outside of work to keep up with a two year old.
#11 Old 02-16-2008, 03:32 PM

Thanks for the ideas book suggestions and recipes everybody.
#12 Old 02-16-2008, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

You're very lucky - most people have the opposite problem: struggling to avoid gaining weight, or losing what they already have.

Weight control is ultimately just mathematics. You don't need fish to gain or maintain weight; in fact, the amount of fish you're consuming is most likely contributing little to your overall calorie intake. If I were in your shoes, I would create an estimate for your breakeven desired calorie intake (maybe 2800 Cal/day - most people overestimate how much exercise actually burns). i would then eat more then this on any day in which your scale shows you're under your target desired weight, and less than this when you're over your target weight. Calorie counting is a pain, but fortunately you'll only have to do when you've deviated substantially from your target weight. For variations of +/- 2 lbs around your target weight, you can just eat whatever you want and try to roughly hit your calorie intake target. Life is too short to obsess.
#13 Old 02-20-2008, 12:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by brayden View Post

This is just an estimate really, and currently it is probably on the lower side. I am working at Whole Foods. So I am constantly lifting between 1-75 lbs. for about 6 hours a day and am walking about 2.5 miles just in the store on a normal day. This doesn't include all of my activity outside of work to keep up with a two year old.

I am interested to know how many calories you are currently intaking. I really don't see you burning 3000 - 4000 calories in a day just doing these things. 3000 - 4000 would be incredibly nuts!

... I could believe 1,000 however. I would let us know how much you intake now, and also post your height and weight so that we can get an estimate of your BMR.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page