what's propylene glycol? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 02-15-2008, 04:03 AM
Beginner

What is propylene glycol (found in some bath / shampoo type products and some foods)? Sounds like animal origin? But I can't find it anywhere on the lists of animal products...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 02-15-2008, 04:54 AM

http://www.tomsofmaine.com/toms/ifs/...ene_glycol.asp

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#3 Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't use anything that has propylene glycol.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 02-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Veggie Regular

even though I think it's vegan, I avoid it like the plague. Pipe antifreeze? No thanks! And it's in all sorts of stuff, ew.
#5 Old 02-17-2008, 12:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I don't use anything that has propylene glycol.

Propylene glycol is an alternative to ethylene glycol (which is more toxic when ingested) in things like some paints, anti-freeze...

I believe everything.
#6 Old 02-17-2008, 02:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by nogardsram View Post

Propylene glycol is an alternative to ethylene glycol (which is more toxic when ingested) in things like some paints, anti-freeze...

Okay, OKAY. To be more specific, I don't use anything that has propylene glycol ON MY BODY.

It's in a lot of deodorants and other body care products.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#7 Old 02-18-2008, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by raefactor View Post

even though I think it's vegan, I avoid it like the plague. Pipe antifreeze? No thanks! And it's in all sorts of stuff, ew.

Just an aside - I was giving my dogs Pupperoni and my Husky started vomiting terribly, to the point I had to take her to the vet. It turns out this crap was in the Pupperonis. I also avoid anything that has propylene glycol in it. How on EARTH can a company justify putting it in something an animal would ingest!? (see http://www.pupperoni.com/Default.asp...=productDetail for proof).
#8 Old 02-18-2008, 07:26 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aelith View Post

Just an aside - I was giving my dogs Pupperoni and my Husky started vomiting terribly, to the point I had to take her to the vet. It turns out this crap was in the Pupperonis. I also avoid anything that has propylene glycol in it. How on EARTH can a company justify putting it in something an animal would ingest!? (see http://www.pupperoni.com/Default.asp...=productDetail for proof).

Oh, it's in some human "foods" too.

#9 Old 02-18-2008, 03:21 PM
Veggie Regular

yep. Little Debbies for one....
#10 Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Beginner

I used Tom's of Maine deodorant.

So what's a safer alternative for a deodorant?
#11 Old 02-19-2008, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Oh, it's in some human "foods" too.

The more I come to realize this stuff, the more I see whole foods as the way to go!
#12 Old 02-19-2008, 01:58 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

I used Tom's of Maine deodorant.

So what's a safer alternative for a deodorant?

I like J/A/S/O/N's deodorants. Jason is just awesome in general in my opinion. Although I do find that like many natural/vegan deodorants, I must apply it about 2-3 times a day depending on how much I have been running around campus. Or maybe I am just really sweaty. :P

I tend to think that applying it a few times is better than pasting aluminum (and all the other funky chemicals they have in the "normal" deodorants) on my arm pits.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page