Restaurants - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-30-2008, 12:11 PM
Banned

What are some of your guys' favorite restaurants to go to as vegans?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-30-2008, 12:23 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm still working on trying them all out! Veg.ca has a great listing of different vegetarian and vegan restaurants, and they only have the ones that paid for the listing! There are still tons that I just find randomly.

For 'regular' food I find it needs to be vegetarian/vegan oriented or else its sort of hard to get a decent meal. Asian food however tends to have a really decent selection even when its just a 'regular' restaurant. (I'm part asian though so when I say regular I do mean quality, not fast food asian. And I definately definately include Indian/Nepali food as asian.)
#3 Old 01-30-2008, 01:29 PM
Banned

that buddha's vegetarian restaurant you mention on your blog sounds amazing, I wish there was even 1 vegan restaurant in my province!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-31-2008, 02:34 AM
Veggie Regular

I only have choice of one vegan restaurant to go to And it's not in the area where I live (it's about 40 mins away) so I haven't been there yet.

Do have this neat little cafe though that does vegan snacks, cakes, muesli bars etc. etc. so I pick stuff up from there!

God loved birds, he created trees.
Man loved birds, he created cages.
#5 Old 01-31-2008, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

My area isn't very veggie friendly...usually any Italian restaurant is a safe bet so I can order pasta with garlic/oil/broccoli.
#6 Old 01-31-2008, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

We have a few veggie restaurants. One is exclusively chinese and has mock-meats, another is veg*an, and I hear good things about it.

I've never gone to a veg*an specific restaurant, I generally don't go to restaurants because I don't trust other people touching my food. Ick.
#7 Old 01-31-2008, 07:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Panera Bread and Subway.

slops, gloops, and gruels.
#8 Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 AM

I've never even seen a vegan/vegetarian restaurant. I have never in person met another vegan or vegetarian. My area is definitely not veggie friendly. If i go out its salads and maybe subway. The one natural market in town has made the wonderful choice to stock for me FYH cheese with much begging. I just do the best I can. Though I have often thought of trying to find other vegans in my area.
#9 Old 01-31-2008, 08:00 AM

denny's has a really good boca pattie
#10 Old 01-31-2008, 08:04 AM
Veggie Regular

Sammy T's. They have veg-friendly labeling on the menu and specifically state whether the food is vegetarian or vegan. Of course, they do have meat products, so I don't know about cross-contamination. However, I love their soup, falafel, and bean/grain burger.

I also like Subway and Panera Bread. There's also a great noodle place (Noodle and Company) that opened a few months ago. They have great dishes with vegetables, pasta, and tofu. Hmm...and there's a new Greek restaurant with great falafel.

All of these places are in Fredericksburg, VA, by the way.
#11 Old 01-31-2008, 08:16 AM
Veggie Regular

Our area is not veggie-friendly. There are Chinese places but I don't trust them as they are always getting shut down for health code violations. There is Subway which is conveniently located next door to where I work which is cool. The Pizza Hut does a nice veggie pizza but you have to be careful as they cut all the pizza with the same cutter and one time we got sausage on ours.

There is one place in Sanford (about 10 miles or so) that has a veggie menu. If you go to Orlando (30 or so miles) there are some other places like Sweet Tomatos, and a totally vegan place called Ethos. Someday we will get over there.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#12 Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 AM
Veggie Regular

I live about 30 minutes away from Ft. Worth, TX and they have an awesome vegan restaurant called Spiral Diner. Yumola! Nothing in the place that isn't vegan. They were actually voted Veg News Restaurant of the year. I only get to go every couple of weeks or so, but I would go there every day if I could.

They are about to open one up in Dallas, so if any of y'all have to go to Big D for any reason, give it a try!

www.spiraldiner.com
#13 Old 01-31-2008, 08:51 AM
Super Moderator

I've heard mixed things about Subway, whether its vegan or not (the regular bread). I'm not vegan yet, but when I eat at Subway, I get a delicious close to vegan sandwich.

The best vegan restaurant I've been too... Vegan Zone. It's located in San Diego California and I went there for the first time yesterday. It's a must try if you're ever in the area.
#14 Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 AM

According to Subways website....

Do your breads contain animal products?

SUBWAY® Italian bread contains no animal-derived ingredients. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey, which may be considered an animal-derived ingredient. The Parmesan Oregano and other cheese-topped breads do contain milk-derived ingredients.

Do any of your breads contain milk/milk-derived ingredients?

Only the breads that contain a cheese topping like the Parmesan Oregano bread.

What is the origin of sodium stearoyl-2-lactylate and the mono- and diglycerides found in the bread?

These ingredients are plant-derived.

What is the origin of enzymes (rennin) used in the cheese?

The bulk of rennet used in processing is microbial however there could be a chance of calf rennin in the cheese due to production variables. The cheese contains no porcine (pig) derived rennet.

What menu items at SUBWAY® restaurants are vegan/do not contain animal-derived ingredients?

The menu items that do not contain any animal-derived ingredients are the Veggie Delite® on Italian bread and the Veggie Delite® salad. Also these individual items also do not contain animal-derived ingredients: all vegetables, oil, vinegar, mustard, sweet onion sauce and Fruizle. The wheat bread and deli roll contain honey but no other animal-derived ingredients.
#15 Old 01-31-2008, 09:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Millenium is my very favorite rstaurant!! Herbivore comes in second! Natures Bounty is the closest but not completely veg.
#16 Old 01-31-2008, 09:26 AM
Super Moderator

Awesome to hear about Subway! I seriously think they changed their bread then... my sister used to work there and she said a vegan came in once, read the box for the bread, and couldn't eat there (for the Italian, I'm pretty sure).

When I go to Subway, I make sure they change their gloves if they touched meat. I'm very nice about it "Can I trouble you to change your gloves? I have food intolerences" which is true.
#17 Old 01-31-2008, 01:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danakscully64 View Post

Awesome to hear about Subway! I seriously think they changed their bread then... my sister used to work there and she said a vegan came in once, read the box for the bread, and couldn't eat there (for the Italian, I'm pretty sure).

When I go to Subway, I make sure they change their gloves if they touched meat. I'm very nice about it "Can I trouble you to change your gloves? I have food intolerences" which is true.

Yeah they all know to change their gloves when I walk in, especially with cheese because I'm highly allergic. They are always very understanding and good to me, they even clean off the "board" just in case.
#18 Old 01-31-2008, 06:06 PM
Super Moderator

I love places like that At some places, the workers get visibly annoyed, even though you're not asking for much at all... plus, it's their JOB. They're supposed to change their gloves at Subway, I believe a new pair for each customer.
#19 Old 01-31-2008, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

There's a wonderful Thai vegetarian (no fish!) restaurant in Ottawa! They clearly label the dishes with eggs/dairy, so I always know what I can and can't eat. I used to live in Thailand, and I absolutely love Thai food. To find a place that I *know* won't use fish sauce or shrimp paste in the "vegetarian" dishes just makes dining out so much better!
#20 Old 01-31-2008, 06:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Teapot Vegetarian House in Seattle

Bamboo Garden (all vegetarian) in Seattle

Ayothaia here in town

The Rock, Wood-Fired Pizza (not vegan exactly, but they make vegan pizza for me; insanely wonderful ingredients with cheese-free pesto insted of cheese topping. Oh my!)

Multitudes of Ethiopian restaurants in Seattle

Annapurna in Albuquerque

SantaFe Peppers in Albuquerque

the sushi place in Albuquerque that I don't know the name of
#21 Old 01-31-2008, 07:02 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh, Ethiopian food!!! Injera!!! All the rich lentil and greens dishes!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#22 Old 01-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Veggie Regular

P.F Changs...
#23 Old 01-31-2008, 07:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

Oh, Ethiopian food!!! Injera!!! All the rich lentil and greens dishes!!!

Seattle has a large (growing) Ethiopian community. Last count there were 14 Ethiopian restaurants! Obviously I haven't tried ALL of them. You should venture up this way sometime though...
#24 Old 01-31-2008, 07:52 PM
Veggie Regular

I really want to. I actually have family I didn't know about in Seattle. Also, I'd love to meet you and the Sprouts!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#25 Old 01-31-2008, 08:27 PM
Veggie Regular

^^^Woo! So head on up!
#26 Old 01-31-2008, 11:13 PM

PF Changs-Veggie lettuce wraps - yummy!!
#27 Old 02-01-2008, 06:20 AM
Veggie Regular

i live in northeast alabama and i am still trying to find something close to me. right now, i can go to subway and any place that has a germ-infested salad bar. but those get boring, so im not eating out much. if i were back in illinois, i would have plenty of choices. ; )
#28 Old 02-01-2008, 07:32 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes View Post

PF Changs-Veggie lettuce wraps - yummy!!

Love them!!!

Thai restaurants are at the top of my list. I can't seem to get enough. Other than that, I usually eat at some Asian restaurant, be it Indian, Chinese, Malaysian, Vietnamese...

Some restaurants I frequent near me (DC area): Java Green, Vegetable Garden, Thai Tanium, Lebanese Taverna, Great Sage, Mango Grove, Udupi Palace, Asian Bistro, Mandalay, Green Papaya, and the list goes on. I'm so lucky to live is such a vegan friendly area.

And in PA, where I'm originally from, Bethelem has THE best vegan dessert shop - Vegan Treats. The chocolate peanut butter bomb cupcakes are orgasmic.
#29 Old 02-01-2008, 08:33 AM
Veggie Regular

There's actually a PF Changs in my area, but I've only eaten there once, and that was when I was still omni. It seemed like an overpriced attempt to seem like a "fancy" Chinese restaurant, which is why I never went back. There are too many good less expensive Chinese places in southern Florida.

--Fromper

#30 Old 02-01-2008, 01:54 PM

CHIPOTLE!!!

(Or Qdoba if there's no Chipotle around, but I find Qdoba is somewhat tasteless compared to Chipotle)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page