Ugh So Mad (housekeeper served non-vegan food)!! - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

#1 Old 01-18-2008, 10:34 PM

ok, well i have 2 twin brother and sister and they are babies, my mom is a surgeon so she is ALWAYS working, anyways so we have a housekeeper that cooks for us because as y'all probably read, i am the WORST cook in the world, anyways so today she cooks me some pasta, so i MADE SURE to remind her to read VERY ingredient and she has the "bad food list"....anyways so i eat, after like 4 hours i go to the kitchen and went to throw something away, so i see the can of pasta sauce on the trash can, i pick it up and what's the first think i see in the ingredient list..... milk, eggs, cream etc.. you get the picture, UGHHHH!!!! i juss told her that she has to tell me everything she puts in my food before hand, i dunno i feel like i committed i sin or something....ugh
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-18-2008, 10:43 PM
Veggie Regular

Is the housekeeper a good cook? Maybe you could hang out with her when she does the cooking so you learn more about it and help and she can learn more about veg*n foods.
#3 Old 01-18-2008, 10:45 PM

she doesnt like me in the kitchen...she sas i stress her
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-18-2008, 11:12 PM
Veggie Regular

I can't imagine why she would say that.
#5 Old 01-18-2008, 11:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Canned pasta sauce that has milk, eggs and cream in it?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#6 Old 01-19-2008, 12:13 AM

Maria - The best way to solve such a problem would be to LEARN how to cook your own food! I don't recommend trusting other people (especially omnis, who may not see what the harm is in consuming a little bit of milk, meat, or eggs) to prepare your meals for you.
#7 Old 01-19-2008, 06:53 AM
Veggie Regular

I agree with shyviolet, you will have to learn to cook your own food if your housekeeper is uncooperative.

If not, try approaching your housekeeper a little less aggressively, and explain why you don't eat certain foods. If you show her what you can and can't eat she'll probably remember better.
#8 Old 01-19-2008, 07:24 AM
Beginner

Maybe she doesn't know how to cook vegan meals. Find some recipes for her and ask if she'll make them.
#9 Old 01-19-2008, 08:46 AM
Veggie Regular

I feel sorry for the housekeeper.
#10 Old 01-19-2008, 09:20 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Louise Rebecca View Post

Maybe she doesn't know how to cook vegan meals. Find some recipes for her and ask if she'll make them.

I totally agree with this.

Print out some easy recipes, there are literally hundreds available. Look at the ones in the recipes thread here on VB. Approach her respectfully and request she try something new. Good luck!!

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#11 Old 01-19-2008, 09:27 AM

i like my houskeeper, shes really nice, im nice too her, but she juss wont listen
#12 Old 01-19-2008, 10:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie View Post

I feel sorry for the housekeeper.

Why? She's an employee whose duties include cooking, she had a list of "bad foods" and she cooked with them anyway. Sounds like she's either incompetent or malicious. Could be 'overworked and underpaid' too, but if you have a job, you should do it as well as you can.
#13 Old 01-19-2008, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Uh. If the first ingredients were milk, eggs, and cream, then it sounds like it was probably an alfredo or cream sauce. When you ate the pasta, you didn't notice that it was a cream sauce??
#14 Old 01-19-2008, 01:19 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medesha View Post

Why? She's an employee whose duties include cooking, she had a list of "bad foods" and she cooked with them anyway. Sounds like she's either incompetent or malicious. Could be 'overworked and underpaid' too, but if you have a job, you should do it as well as you can.

Because she doesn't need to hear some kid talk to her like this..

Quote:
so i MADE SURE to remind her to read VERY ingredient and she has the "bad food list"....

Quote:
i juss told her that she has to tell me everything she puts in my food before hand

#15 Old 01-19-2008, 01:29 PM

excuse me?......first of all im not a kid, im 16, graduating 2 years early of high school, and already accepted into UF and UCSB.....and she works for me, we pay her, so inform yourself before acusing.

anyways, she's hispanic, so a lot of the foods she does she puts weird things in, i never question her, till now
#16 Old 01-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Veggie Regular

You don't pay her. There is no we. She works for your mommy.

And you're still a kid.
#17 Old 01-19-2008, 01:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I'd just learn to cook, because she probably just sees you as a kid that is going through a phase or whatever, and doesn't understand the serious-ness and she probably doesn't think it actually truly matters. She's not vegan so obviously it's going to be a pain in the ass for her, while she's looking after you and the twins, the house, etc to take the time to read every ingredient and learn animal ingredients when it's not something she cares about, you know what I mean? Cooking is fun...
#18 Old 01-19-2008, 01:59 PM
Veggie Regular

`16 = still a kid

You either need to reach an understanding with her by talking to her politely, or learn to cook your own food. If you're graduating high school early, surely you can learn some simple recipes. Or get some peanut butter and make a sandwich.
#19 Old 01-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Veggie Regular

By the time I was in high school I cooked for myself most of the time.
#20 Old 01-19-2008, 02:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post

excuse me?......first of all im not a kid, im 16, graduating 2 years early of high school, and already accepted into UF and UCSB.....and she works for me, we pay her, so inform yourself before acusing.

anyways, she's hispanic, so a lot of the foods she does she puts weird things in, i never question her, till now

Just from this thread you've come across as a rude brat with horrible speaking skills. I'm surprised your housekeeper hasn't slipped meatballs into your coffee just to spite your inconsiderate ass.
#21 Old 01-19-2008, 02:11 PM

You're 16 and you need someone to cook for you?
#22 Old 01-19-2008, 02:15 PM
Red
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post

Next time she doesn't listen to you, start shouting "La Immigra! La Immigra!". She'll start paying closer attention to you after that.
#23 Old 01-19-2008, 03:26 PM
Banned

if you can work a toaster and/or microwave, you can do some cooking for yourself, and not have to risk starving or being given something that doesn't meet your specifications. if not, there are always sandwiches, cereal, and salads. incidently, you will need to learn to cook at some point, so now might not be the worst time to try and master the basics- you will get it if you work at it, just like anything else- and you'll get support and help here.

have you considered that your mothers housekeeper may not be as good at reading english food labels as you are? also, she might really not want to spend a lot of time trying to do so, i'm sure she has other things to do.

if you don't want to try and fend for yourself, food wise, why not do some more of the legwork- after all- you're the one with the new requirements. the list is a pretty good start. something else you could try (which would make stuff a lot easier for everyone who tries to feed you- and for you too) would be reading all the food labels in your cupboards yourself, and marking the lids and boxtops of 'safe' ones with a big green sticky paper dot. then there would be no need for anyone to read labels- just check for a dot. no dot, don't feed it to you. you'd need to repeat this with new groceries every time you shop, but it'd be less time consuming by far than actually cooking.
#24 Old 01-19-2008, 03:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Maybe you should learn to cook, you know, like all of us out there without housekeepers. *Shrugs* Just a thought. Then YOU could check the ingrediants without making other people do it FOR you.
#25 Old 01-19-2008, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggzie View Post

Just from this thread you've come across as a rude brat with horrible speaking skills. I'm surprised your housekeeper hasn't slipped meatballs into your coffee just to spite your inconsiderate ass.

And you've come across as even more immature and bratty than anything so far that she's posted. Sounds like someone else needs to grow up.

If I were you, I'd buy a kids cook book and start learning how to make your own stuff. Having a housekeeper that does all the cooking is awesome, but she isn't going to be going with you when you move out. The Jumbo Vegetarian Cookbook by Kids Can Press is an awesome beginners cookbook. I suggest checking a copy out from the library or purchasing one.

As for the housekeeper, you might need to suggest things that she cooks for you. I'm not sure if she does all of the shopping around the house, but if she does, I'd go with her and read the labels of things she is buying. Print out recipes that sound good to you, and have her make those.
#26 Old 01-19-2008, 04:59 PM
Veggie Regular

Fritemare, if you knew Tiggz, you might understand why she snapped at the OP.

To the OP: I think you need to change how you think about the hired help in your household. Yes, they are paid by your mother to provide a service, but they expected to be treated with a certain level of respect, just as you expect to be respected by them. Their race should not determine how intelligent they are.

There are a lot of easy cookbooks out there that you can buy and make your own food out of. You could start out simple, with sandwiches, and branch out to make bigger dishes. Maybe your HFS has cooking classes they can recommend, or even offer, to teach you how to cook?
#27 Old 01-19-2008, 05:32 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fritemare View Post

And you've come across as even more immature and bratty than anything so far that she's posted.

Perhaps, but I didn't list credentials to try and prove otherwise.
#28 Old 01-19-2008, 06:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Uh. If the first ingredients were milk, eggs, and cream, then it sounds like it was probably an alfredo or cream sauce. When you ate the pasta, you didn't notice that it was a cream sauce??

Word.

Also, yeah, 16 = still a kid. I was 16 not too long ago. Well, okay 5 years ago.

I am with the, "you're-old-enough-to-cook-for-yourself" camp. I started cooking much earlier than you, on my own accord. It's hard to get people to understand vegetarianism, much less veganism, anyway.

It will also teach you life skills you will need down the road. You may not always have mommy around paying someone to do everything for you. Learn how to be independent NOW and do not count on being carried this way your whole life. Nothing is truly guaranteed anymore- plans fail. It's a very good thing to learn to be independent. Now that I am a mother, I am glad I learned these skills.

But my mother also taught me to be independent.
#29 Old 01-19-2008, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

First off, it absolutely sucks when you're fed something that isn't veg*n. I'm sorry that happened to you, but don't worry too much about it. Just chalk it up to lesson learned and move on.

Second, you can argue back and forth about whether or not 16 is a kid, but the bottom line is this...

Kids are not responsible for their own food. Their food is prepared for them and they eat it. If they don't like it, they can typically go make a PB sandwich, or some cold cereal, or go to bed hungry.

Adults are responsible for their own food. They prepare or purchase food according to their preferences, dietary, flavor, etc... They can get cookbooks, and browse the internet, and take cooking classes, and experiment and learn to cook.

You cannot be both. If you are going to make the decision to be veg*n, and the rest of your family is not veg*n, then you need to take some responsibility for your own nutrition. Granted, yes, the housekeeper has been hired to look after your family's needs while your parents are not available, but I don't believe she's been hired as your personal chef. Caring for three young children, and a household is a LOT of work. Housekeepers/child care providers are never paid as much as they deserve, even if they are paid "well." She obviously has a poor understanding of veganism, and it would probably be better for all parties involved if you prepared food on your own, or found a way to work with her (and her not work FOR you) in preparing your meals. Maybe if you said you wanted her to TEACH you she might be more receptive to having you in the kitchen. On the other hand, it sounds like she has plenty of responsibilities and may just need to get the little one feds as quickly as possible.

So you've got some thinking to do. Are you an adult? Or are you a child? You can't have it both ways.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#30 Old 01-19-2008, 07:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Uh.... it sounds like it was probably an alfredo or cream sauce. When you ate the pasta, you didn't notice that it was a cream sauce??

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegKitten84 View Post

You don't pay her. There is no we. She works for your mommy.

And you're still a kid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiggzie View Post

I agree with all of the above and more! (And found out the "multiple quote" button now works.) I love this thread.

Oh - and WELCOME BACK VK84!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page