Ugh So Mad (housekeeper served non-vegan food)!! - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools
#31 Old 01-19-2008, 07:04 PM
Veggie Regular
 
FafaFrappy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 948
Good point, rabid.



If you wanna think you're an adult. Yes, take some responsibility. Making a lifestyle change is a big decision and not everyone can accommodate.



A can agree with saying that a 16 y/o is capable of certain adult qualities. Being a kid isn't necessarily an insult. I was younger than I thought I was at 16, too, if that makes any sense. But I also took over the young adult responsibilities such as cooking for myself, doing my own laundry, working part-time while going to school, etc..
FafaFrappy is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#32 Old 01-19-2008, 08:02 PM
Beginner
 
Dvin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 104
Let face it. We have decided to live a different life style and shouldn't necessarily expect others to fall in line with our thinking. I sure don't expect others to do for me what I won't do for myself. Deciding to be a vegan is our choice and with that decision we should take control of our own life. Learning to cook isn't a big deal...you just have to do it.



I agree with Marie.



Art
Dvin is offline  
#33 Old 01-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Veggie Regular
 
cryptoveggie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 751
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post

excuse me?......first of all im not a kid, im 16, graduating 2 years early of high school, and already accepted into UF and UCSB.....and she works for me, we pay her, so inform yourself before acusing.









anyways, she's hispanic, so a lot of the foods she does she puts weird things in, i never question her, till now



Assumptions are based on how you present yourself. A friend of my brother once said, "You're only as old as you type." If you want people to recognize your maturity I have two suggestions. Put whatever information you feel is relevant on your profile so people can inform themselves and use capitalization, apostrophes, and correct spelling. People will be more likely to take you seriously.



In addition to that I have looked at your past posts to inform myself and I'm not impressed. If you're ready to live your own life and make your own decisions you have to take responsibility. Learning to do your own cooking would be a good start.



A cookbook you might find useful is The Garden of Vegan. There's a section on microwave cooking that's targeted for college students. Vegan Cooking for One is a good book but it's a little more difficult and it's written for an English audience so there are some unfamiliar ingredients. You can probably get them through your local library's inter loan program.
cryptoveggie is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
#34 Old 01-19-2008, 09:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Shantih's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 963
I've been cooking my own dinner since I was 13, it's really not that hard.



And I can't imagine it's that hard to find a pasta sauce that's vegan, most tomato and basil/oregano ones are, chilli ones, vegan bolognaise is easy too. You can get a vegan cheese sauce over here too, there's probably one for sale in the US.



If you work part time you can go get that sort of thing yourself, it doesn't cost much since you're only picking up some tofu or a jar of sauce.
Shantih is offline  
#35 Old 01-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Veggie Regular
 
screechingninja's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 218
K, seriously, is there really a point in being mean?
screechingninja is offline  
#36 Old 01-20-2008, 05:27 AM
Veggie Regular
 
Mandy_Sav's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 278
If you don't like what the housekeeper is feeding you, then you should probably make your own food. After all, you're 16 and not a kid anymore, right?
Mandy_Sav is offline  
#37 Old 01-20-2008, 06:51 AM
Veggie Regular
 
isowish's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 7,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

Assumptions are based on how you present yourself. A friend of my brother once said, "You're only as old as you type." If you want people to recognize your maturity I have two suggestions. Put whatever information you feel is relevant on your profile so people can inform themselves and use capitalization, apostrophes, and correct spelling. People will be more likely to take you seriously.



In addition to that I have looked at your past posts to inform myself and I'm not impressed. If you're ready to live your own life and make your own decisions you have to take responsibility. Learning to do your own cooking would be a good start.



A cookbook you might find useful is The Garden of Vegan. There's a section on microwave cooking that's targeted for college students. Vegan Cooking for One is a good book but it's a little more difficult and it's written for an English audience so there are some unfamiliar ingredients. You can probably get them through your local library's inter loan program.



Vegan Cooking for One is EXCELLENT
isowish is offline  
#38 Old 01-20-2008, 07:00 AM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
There is a book called 'The L-Plate Vegan' that is meant to be excellent for novice cooks and people new to veganism in general.
GhostUser is offline  
#39 Old 01-20-2008, 07:39 AM
Veggie Regular
 
cloudcovering's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Posts: 587
I agree completely with what rabid said!



Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post

she works for me, we pay her, so inform yourself before acusing.



anyways, she's hispanic, so a lot of the foods she does she puts weird things in, i never question her, till now



WHOA. this is an incredibly naive and rude post for such an educated young adult. not just to the other posters(which i forgive you for, because i can see how you think that they're not being nice to you) but to your housekeeper. (also, accusing*)



Quote:
Originally Posted by hoodedclawjen View Post


if you don't want to try and fend for yourself, food wise, why not do some more of the legwork- after all- you're the one with the new requirements. the list is a pretty good start. something else you could try (which would make stuff a lot easier for everyone who tries to feed you- and for you too) would be reading all the food labels in your cupboards yourself, and marking the lids and boxtops of 'safe' ones with a big green sticky paper dot. then there would be no need for anyone to read labels- just check for a dot. no dot, don't feed it to you. you'd need to repeat this with new groceries every time you shop, but it'd be less time consuming by far than actually cooking.



Or you could put a red dot on all the things that were NOT vegan. Less time-consuming... however maybe less direct. Just offering it up.



Lastly, good luck. I'm 15 and I cook pretty much all my meals; I also pack my lunch every day in the morning before school. It's not difficult; in fact, it can even be fun! I love Veganomicon and Dreena Burton's cookbooks. start with the easier things and move your way up. Or, if you don't want to buy one just yet, go to vegweb.com and try the ones with good customer reviews.
cloudcovering is offline  
#40 Old 01-20-2008, 07:42 AM
Newbie
 
zorro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
Posts: 66
I began cooking for myself at 12 because my mother was hospitalized most of my adolescent life. I also had to cook for my father and brother and sister. Learned how to wash my own clothes, iron, etc.



If you graduated high school two years early, and you know your likes and dislikes in food, why not cook for yourself? It sounds like the housekeeper earns her wages without her cooking for you, so wait until she is out of the kitchen, open up a jar of red pasta sauce (check the ingredients) and open a box of angel hair pasta (check the ingredients), get a nice bread (check the ingredients), drizzle olive oil and crushed garlic, and you've made yourself an easy, tasty meal in 20 minutes tops!



Afterwards, clean the kitchen of any mess you made (if you're like me, I've totaled the kitchen even with boxed, prepared items!), because if you are going to college, you will need to learn to clean up after yourself and do chores, etc. I had to learn myself, and a thoughtful, giving person learns to do things for themselves, too. I'm not directing this at you, but at anyone going off to college, etc. It's just the nice thing to do, and it will make you more independent.



Growing up is hard enough - independence feels really good and "grown up."
zorro is offline  
#41 Old 01-20-2008, 08:13 AM
Veggie Regular
 
karenlovessnow's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Home Sweet Home
Posts: 12,079
The last few posts have some good suggestions.



So here’s my take on it…seriously, age isn’t necessarily indicative of someone’s ability to cook…I’ve tasted some pretty nasty stuff by so-called grown ups. That’s not to say that a 16 year old, whether she be an adult or a child can’t manage some basic skills when it comes to finding stuff to eat ( I loved Rabid’s post, by the way…to the point and not rude/condescending).



The way I interpret some of the posts and I’m not saying that I’m correct in the intent, is that an issue is being made because the OP happens to have a housekeeper. It sounds like the OP is being judged because she may/may not be ‘well off’. That’s a bit judgemental IMO and shouldn’t have anything to do with the fact that the housekeeper isn’t/doesn’t want to be able to prepare food without meat/dairy/eggs, etc. It shouldn’t be assumed that the OP is being waited on 24/7 and that the housekeeper is at her beck and call. The OP is asking for ideas/opinions on how to handle the fact that the person responsible for preparing meals isn’t ‘getting it’ (vegan cooking) so to speak.



So I agree with the suggestions of working with the housekeeper. The OP already stated that they get along and are nice to each other. So with a little patience and understanding from both parties, a solution should be able to be reached. If the housekeeper is willing to cook for the OP, and it sounds like she is, then she should be able to learn a few basics of vegan cooking. And likewise, the OP can learn to cook some simple basic meals for herself when the housekeeper is busy with her other duties.
karenlovessnow is offline  
#42 Old 01-20-2008, 09:41 AM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
I graduated and was living on my own at 16. I'd been working for years by that time. I was married and divorced by 19 and was a mother. I WAS an adult as a child, by necessity.



So, yeah, I don't personally relate to the OP, but wanted to say that the suggestions for getting a simple cookbook like The Garden of Vegan or How it all Vegan or Vegan Cooking for One is the best idea.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#43 Old 01-20-2008, 09:47 AM
Banned
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Posts: 3,641
Bad housekeeper... BAD, BAD HOUSEKEEPER. Stay away from the kitchen.
sleepydvdr is offline  
#44 Old 01-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular
 
VeggieFrank's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2006
Posts: 897
good help is so hard to find these day



maria- i'm not sure what your parents position is on veg*ism, but if they support it, maybe they should speak with your housekeeper about it. or whomever signs her paycheck. perhaps some cooking courses for her, or maybe a sit-down discussion, a cookbook? i don't know your situation, but i hope there's something helpful in there.



the suggestions i've read about learning to cook yourself are good, if only to familiarize yourself with the process, techniques, and recipes to pass along to any eventual future-housekeepers or chefs. like i said, i don't pretend to know your situation, perhaps you'll be in the fortunate position to employ a vegan chef in the future, but until then, you may need to educate.
VeggieFrank is offline  
#45 Old 01-20-2008, 11:51 AM
Newbie
 
maria1232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 45
wow so much for a post.... seriously, if im well off or not that is really none of your business i was just looking for tips on what to tell her next time etc.. the ones of you who think i was being "racist" for saying that she's Hispanic should ask me first...i happen to ALSO be hispanic, just from a different country, so ask first..... and im sorry for those of you who had to grow up very young for one reason or another, i cant relate, everyone is different so stop accusing and ask questions.....this is supposed to be a forum of common interest.





those of you that gave me names of the cookbooks, thanx.....i'm gonna go buy some books to see if i learn to cook.
maria1232 is offline  
#46 Old 01-20-2008, 12:00 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Libellula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,341
Maria, it is supposed to be a forum of common interest, but your original post came off as very condescending toward your housekeeper. As Karen said, some people don't know how to cook, or your house keeper may have misplaced the list of foods you choose not to eat. Your question was not phrased as a "someone who knew that I don't eat x and y gave them to me anyway" maybe your responses would have been different if they were.
Libellula is offline  
#47 Old 01-20-2008, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post

the ones of you who think i was being "racist" for saying that she's Hispanic should ask me first...i happen to ALSO be hispanic, just from a different country, so ask first..... and im sorry for those of you who had to grow up very young for one reason or another, i cant relate, everyone is different so stop accusing and ask questions.....this is supposed to be a forum of common interest.



I've generally noticed that when people say things like "She puts weird things in food because she's Hispanic," they are indicating they are not also Hispanic.



Oh, and people can hold racist attitudes towards those with the same general ethnicity as them.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#48 Old 01-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Newbie
 
maria1232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 45
i know, they should have asked though before attacking my like i was committing some crime, but o well......i got a lot of GOOD responses too, i just ignore the other ones lol
maria1232 is offline  
#49 Old 01-20-2008, 12:09 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Nickle00's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 3,255
Wow!! I can't believe your 16, graduating high school 2 years early and don't cook your own food! You're VERY lucky you have a housekeeper and rather than bi***ing about how she screwed up why don't you APPRECIATE the fact that you actually HAVE one, learn to cook your own meals and give her a break!! BTW, you say you're not a kid but you're 16, live at mommy's and don't even cook your own food...I'd say you're definitely still a kid!!
Nickle00 is offline  
#50 Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Newbie
 
maria1232's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 45
i didnt mean it that way though....i was just stating that there are some stuff that she puts in the food that i dont know......and then someone would have asked me to read the label blah blah, so i went ahead and stated that she was hispanic so the labels would be in spanish, which even though i am hispanic too i dont speak FLUENT spanish.....i speak it well enough though
maria1232 is offline  
#51 Old 01-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nickle00 View Post

Wow!! I can't believe your 16, graduating high school 2 years early and don't cook your own food! You're VERY lucky you have a housekeeper and rather than bi***ing about how she screwed up why don't you APPRECIATE the fact that you actually HAVE one, learn to cook your own meals and give her a break!!



Pay no attention to the girl behind the venom.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#52 Old 01-20-2008, 12:12 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
Nickle, you channeled some rage for that one! I have never seen a post where you didn't put "Peace and love" at the end! I LOVE it!!!



I'm not making fun of you, or disagreeing with you, just making an observation. I love you, Sweets!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#53 Old 01-20-2008, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post

i know, they should have asked though before attacking my like i was committing some crime, but o well......i got a lot of GOOD responses too, i just ignore the other ones lol



Well, if you don't mind me being direct, I do agree with those who said you came across as condescending, at least at first, toward the housekeeper. It's common in some areas for white parents to hire a Hispanic housekeeper, and the condescending attitude you displayed is also a common thing among white children who haven't grasped how to learn from people of other ethnicities and/or think it's OK to be rude to hired workers because being white puts them at the top of the social pyramid. So I think it was reasonable to guess you may be white. Since you aren't, I would hope you'd have a little more understanding of the housekeeper's background--she doesn't put "weird" things in food "because she's Hispanic." She cooks with ingredients you find unusual because she has a different background than you do. Does that make sense?



I hope you can find a way to live at peace with all who cook in your shared kitchen, and I wish you the best on your veg*n journey. I tend to love cooking with Latino woman, even if we don't eat all the same things. In time, you can learn from each other. Try researching the foods typical of the area your housekeeper is from, and see which ones are already vegan. Those, and the ones that can be veganized would be great foods to ask your housekeeper to teach you to prepare. If she says no, she's too busy, that's OK. She very well may be. It's a lot of work taking care of three kids, plus cooking and cleaning. You'd probably get a better response if you're already being helpful to her, so you're saving her time, and then you ask to be taught how to make something.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#54 Old 01-20-2008, 12:47 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skylark View Post

It's common in some areas for white parents to hire a Hispanic housekeeper, and the condescending attitude you displayed is also a common thing among white children who haven't grasped how to learn from people of other ethnicities and/or think it's OK to be rude to hired workers because being white puts them at the top of the social pyramid.



I have seen this dynamic with many ethnicities, it's more a class/socioeconomic than a race issue in my opinion.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
#55 Old 01-20-2008, 01:08 PM
Veggie Regular
 
kpickell's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Posts: 16,090
Quote:
Originally Posted by lavande View Post

Uh. If the first ingredients were milk, eggs, and cream, then it sounds like it was probably an alfredo or cream sauce. When you ate the pasta, you didn't notice that it was a cream sauce??

That's what I was thinking too.
kpickell is offline  
#56 Old 01-20-2008, 01:26 PM
Veggie Regular
 
shineonyou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Posts: 617
Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

The way I interpret some of the posts and Im not saying that Im correct in the intent, is that an issue is being made because the OP happens to have a housekeeper. It sounds like the OP is being judged because she may/may not be well off. Thats a bit judgemental IMO and shouldnt have anything to do with the fact that the housekeeper isnt/doesnt want to be able to prepare food without meat/dairy/eggs, etc. It shouldnt be assumed that the OP is being waited on 24/7 and that the housekeeper is at her beck and call. The OP is asking for ideas/opinions on how to handle the fact that the person responsible for preparing meals isnt getting it (vegan cooking) so to speak.



For real.
shineonyou is offline  
#57 Old 01-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Skylark's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2001
Posts: 15,684
Quote:
Originally Posted by *AHIMSA* View Post

I have seen this dynamic with many ethnicities, it's more a class/socioeconomic than a race issue in my opinion.



Sure, it's definitely a class/socioeconomic issue, too, but it's definitely got a lot of racial components. Even as a kid, if I was driving with my family and saw a black person walking on the sidewalk, this told me we were definitely not in my neighborhood. If I saw more than one black person, we were probably in a neighborhood where my parents make sure to lock the doors. Kids pick up on that, perhaps more so than socioeconomic status, and if they perceive themselves to be at the top of the pyramid, this may influence how they respond to people they perceive to be lower on the pyramid.

Q: How many poets does it take to change a light bulb? A: 1001...one to change the bulb, 1000 to say it's already been done.
Skylark is offline  
#58 Old 01-20-2008, 01:54 PM
Veggie Regular
 
Libellula's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 3,341
for karen: i don't think we are condescending the OP for having a housekeeper, i think we are all shocked at how condescending she is coming off toward her housekeeper. It doesn't matter to me if someone has money or does not, it does matter to me when people condescend those hired to help in their homes, as if they are less than they are. No person should be less than another due to ethnicity, religion, sexuality, class, etc.
Libellula is offline  
#59 Old 01-20-2008, 02:49 PM
Newbie
 
GhostUser's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by maria1232 View Post

i didnt mean it that way though....i was just stating that there are some stuff that she puts in the food that i dont know......and then someone would have asked me to read the label blah blah, so i went ahead and stated that she was hispanic so the labels would be in spanish, which even though i am hispanic too i dont speak FLUENT spanish.....i speak it well enough though



Um. You read a lable. says so in your original post.
GhostUser is offline  
#60 Old 01-20-2008, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular
 
*AHIMSA*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 10,728
Chelsea, you are one of my favorite teenagers!!!

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
*AHIMSA* is offline  
Closed Thread

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in


Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off