vegan pasta sauce?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-14-2008, 04:38 PM

i am looking for a vegan pasta sauce that i can juss buy at the store heat it up and juss serve...any suggestions?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Most canned/bottled pasta sauces are vegan. Some have meat and/or cheese. Just check the ingredients.

To clarify: I'm talking about tomato-based sauces
#3 Old 01-14-2008, 04:50 PM
Veggie Regular

I think Francesco Rinaldi marinara is vegan...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-14-2008, 08:07 PM

yumyyyy...u made me hungry ^^^.....thankgoodness for pasta, its always been my favorite food lol
#5 Old 01-14-2008, 08:44 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with sleepydvdr, you should try making your own sauce, though most marinara sauces I've seen are vegan. I usually just put some olive oil in a sauce pan and throw in some minced onions and garlic, let that simmer for a while and then add in peeled whole, or diced tomatoes and maybe some basil, pepper and salt. This makes a great easy pasta sauce.
#6 Old 01-14-2008, 08:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with making your own.. it takes no more than 5 mins. I do it pretty much the same as nataliex and it's great. A bit of red wine added is good... or if I have a lot of time and feel like it I use tvp as well.

OT, but.. Also what I like to do because my kids only like the plain sauce.. in to add a bunch of olives, cherry tomatoes, champignons and basil, with salt, pepper and a lil EVO to a stainless steel bowl and just chuck it in the oven while I'm making the bread.. it's all juicy and yummy and I just top those who want it's spaghetti with it.
#7 Old 01-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Veggie Regular

crap, where were you people before i ate dinner!! now, im hungry again. ...

midnight isnt too absurd for a pasta party is it? even if its a second dinner? haha.

i think my fave jarred pasta sauce is from barilla, mushroom and garlic.

but i agree, making your own sauce is really easy...you are basically just starting out w/ canned tomatoes of some sort and adding your own veggies, spices, etc.

also, try whirring up roasted red pepper to use as a sauce (add spices, herbs, garlic, etc) or pesto (oliive oil, pinenuts, basil pureed) over your pasta for a change. good stuff!
#8 Old 01-14-2008, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I LOVE pesto pasta, it's my fav, but the rest of the family don't like it as much, so we only usually have it every few weeks. I like roast peppers in my sauce, but I like to leave them chunkyish.

I made my Grandma and Aunt vegan pesto the other week and they loved it. They were disappointed when I told them the store stuff had parmesan, cause they hate it.. They also loved my vegan "butter"

I must admit .. for dinner tonight, I am making basic tomato sauce pasta, with the fry up stuff I mentioned. Also garlic bread, made with nuttelex, garlic powder and nooch and I also made a rosemary potato pizza. I know piggy piggy.. but there are 6 of us.
#9 Old 01-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Veggie Regular

Jarred pasta are a waste of money. It's not the same quality you can get if you make your own.

If you want an easy pasta sauce, sautee some onions and minced garlic, add a can of diced tomatoes, then add some dried oregano, and some fresh basil and parsley before serving. Season with salt and pepper and you're set.

Pesto is super easy. Blend fresh basil and parsley with some pine nuts, or any other nuts. Cashews are awesome too.
#10 Old 01-15-2008, 09:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Most of the extra chunky Ragu sauces are vegan. You have to be careful because some of them contain meat and cheese.
#11 Old 01-15-2008, 12:59 PM

thanks, im not so into chunky sauces so thats why i have a problem with making my own sauce...but that pesto sound YUMMY!!! ill make it sometime this week
#12 Old 01-16-2008, 07:24 PM
Veggie Regular

i dont like chunky either, but you can always puree up your canned tomato product too.

i havve yet to try it, but i have seen several chefs make a sauce using roasted veggies and pureeing it up in a blender/ processor and using it as a sauce. vegweb also has a recipe using steamed zucchini and pureeing that up ijnto an "alfredo" type sauce (w/ some other flavorings too, i think ...like NY, garlic, etc)

it might be wortha try.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page