What did you eat Vegan Today? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2008, 09:07 PM

I think we should have a sticky on what us vegans ate today since we don't have one, so we can post what we ate and other members can get some ideas and people can see how easy & delicious being a vegan can be. So lets Post!

For Me:

Breakfast: Grapefruit with Oatmeal and Soy Milk and a Cup of Coffee

Lunch: Veggie Delite Sandwich at Subway(Yum) w/ Salt and Pepper, Sweet Onion Sauce, and Oil w/ Vinegar. I also had Original Sun Chips and a Sprite with it.

Dinner: I was stuffed from that sandwich so I just had something light. I have pitted dates with peanut butter(My ultimate craving), I also had a McDonald's Baked apple pie(Yes , its vegan and so good).

I had a good day today, so what did you eat?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2008, 09:18 PM
Veggie Regular

slept in past breakfast (yay for saturday!) so straight to a lunch of veggie sushi rolls with kiwi and mango, and cucumber and carrot. snacked on some trail mix during homework. and for dinner a jicama lemon chili cilantro cucumber salad/salsa (my version of a ceviche) followed by spicy ginger sesame noodle topped with garlic baby bok choy, peas and broccoli. ended the evening with dark chocolate covered oranges and bananas....still kinda eating those actually yum!
#3 Old 01-05-2008, 09:49 PM

i had a larabar and soy chai ... then some hummus and veggies... leftover potato salad... steamed spinach with a twist of lemon... and spaghetti squash with pesto sauce... and soy milk for dinner. mmMmMmMm
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2008, 10:55 PM

breakfast: soy milk

dinner: stir fry with baby corn, water chestnuts, tomato, broccoli, red pepper, and soy sauce.

delicious!
#5 Old 01-05-2008, 11:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: Oatmeal with mixed berries and soy milk, orange and half a banana

Lunch: Some more fruit, toast and peanut butter

Dinner: Homemade veggie chili & jalapeno corn bread, and vanilla soy ice cream for desert. YUM!
#6 Old 01-05-2008, 11:22 PM
iii

Lunch : Chole Batura (w/tofu)

Dinner : Chole Batura

I have a problem, i really really cannot stop thinking about this delightful indian dish. I even find myself enjoying the smell on my clothes. is that gross?
#7 Old 01-06-2008, 05:14 AM

Breakfast: Cereal with strawberries, raspberries and vanilla soy milk.

Midmourning snack: A mango.

Lunch: Homemade Tomato soup with Late July Rich crackers.

Afternoon Snack: An orange.

Dinner: Salad with romaine lettuce, spinach, tomatoes, carrots, brocolli, green beans and balsamic vinagrette dressing. Homemade Vegetable pizza with peppers, artichokes, onions, mushrooms, garlic, etc.

Dessert: So Delicious Vanilla soy ice cream wth two Newman Own's organic sandwich cookies.
#8 Old 01-06-2008, 05:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Its still early so only have had breakfast:

Oatmeal with raisins, added some smart balance light, and turbinado sugar, coffee

Since I am going to work will have a veggie sub at the subway for lunch.

Dinner is still a mystery and hubby will fix for us.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#9 Old 01-06-2008, 09:41 AM
Beginner

I love these threads I only had breakfast today so I'll post yesterday.

Breakfast: Cereal with soy milk and sliced bananas, 1 soy sausage (I was making it for hubby and had to have one)

Lunch/dinner: Fennel-orange salad with olives, homemade potato-spinach-chickpea stew. it was delicious!

dessert: frozen tropical fruit with soy yogurt

Snacks: apples and clementine oranges

Then his friends came over with chinese food and it smelled really good so I ordered some veggie lo mein.
#10 Old 01-06-2008, 10:34 AM

Please note that starvation posts are not allowed. Two posts have been deleted. It's a subjective judgment, yes, but if the mods feel that your post are under 1200 calories or so, they will be removed.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 01-06-2008, 11:04 AM

Breakfast: 2 bowls of oatmeal, 1 with cinnamon and sugar, 1 with brown sugar and light maple syrup. 1 small red delicious apple, 2 cups of coffee with soymilk and equal.

Lunch: Bowl of sweet potato soup left over from last night-it also has jalapenos & corn-topped with cubed tofu marinated in lime juice and cumin, etc., garnished with cilantro and cholua. Plus two more small apples and 1 tbsp. pb.

Dinner: haven't made it yet but it will be: "beef and broccoli" style stir-fry with morningstar farms beef strips & fresh broccoli and onions over rice.

I am also making a sweet wheat bread later this afternoon from the joy of cooking, with soymilk and energy-egg replacer substitutes.

After-dinner snack will likely by popcorn made with smart balance light margarine.

#12 Old 01-06-2008, 11:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonchild81 View Post

Lunch: Bowl of sweet potato soup left over from last night-it also has jalapenos & corn-topped with cubed tofu marinated in lime juice and cumin, etc., garnished with cilantro and cholua.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#13 Old 01-06-2008, 11:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: Luna Bar, Banana, Very Vanilla Soymilk

Lunch: Two Romaine Lettuce Leaves Stuffed w/ Corn, Portabella Mushrooms, Avocado, Tomato and Onions. I sprinkled Balsamic Vinegar and oil over it all and some sea salt.

Dinner: Lentil and Split Pea Soup with Garlic Bread
#14 Old 01-06-2008, 11:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: seitan jerkey, pretzels, and coke. (I know)

Lunch: Thai Kitchen garlic ramen with tofu and pea pods

dinner: dunno, I have an "instant" stir fry that I'll probably add the rest of the tofu to. And I'm making brownies.
#15 Old 01-06-2008, 12:21 PM
iii

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Please note that starvation posts are not allowed. Two posts have been deleted. It's a subjective judgment, yes, but if the mods feel that your post are under 1200 calories or so, they will be removed.

my posts got deleted due to starvation? i said i had chole batura for lunch, and chole batura for dinner. im guessing i had 2000 calories atleast. But no, youre probably right, i mean, eating a traditional indian dish with 2 big portions of bread, a whole tomato, an entire onion, 2 cans of chick peas in each serving, laid over a huge bed of rice, twice in one day is really about equal to nothing. Speaking of which, i think im going to go starve myself by eating some more indian food.
#16 Old 01-06-2008, 12:44 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by giovannip811 View Post

Dinner: I was stuffed from that sandwich so I just had something light. I have pitted dates with peanut butter(My ultimate craving), I also had a McDonald's Baked apple pie(Yes , its vegan and so good).

I had a good day today, so what did you eat?

Just an fyi that Apple Pie has 5 grams of trans fats in it (I looked it up and thats HIGH). One trans fat is 2-4 times as bad as a Saturated fat. I don't know if health is one of your reasons for being vegan but that's basically a heart attack in a box.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#17 Old 01-06-2008, 01:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast was a smoothie: strawberries, banana, 2 plums, grapes, orange juice and some b12 suppliment drops.

Dinner at lunchtime: Mushroom Korma with basmati rice

Snack: Pack of crisps

Tea: Huge salad: Lettuce, tomato, pepper, cucumber, avocado, carrot, olives and celery and 3 pieces of garlic bread.
#18 Old 01-06-2008, 01:12 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by iii View Post

my posts got deleted due to starvation? i said i had chole batura for lunch, and chole batura for dinner. im guessing i had 2000 calories atleast. But no, youre probably right, i mean, eating a traditional indian dish with 2 big portions of bread, a whole tomato, an entire onion, 2 cans of chick peas in each serving, laid over a huge bed of rice, twice in one day is really about equal to nothing. Speaking of which, i think im going to go starve myself by eating some more indian food.

This is why I don't post in these food threads.. the calorie nazis will yell at you if they don't approve of what you are eating, even though they don't know who you are, how much you weigh, what if any medical conditons you have or what size portions you are eating.
#19 Old 01-06-2008, 01:36 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by iii View Post

We have quite a few members on the boards who have eating disorders and/or are in recovery, and therefore, we try to keep an eye out for posts in food threads that could be triggering for them.

It was actually the first post that just mentioned eating a stir fry that was reported to us as a starvation post. The Chole batura post sounded similar.

Perhaps you could repost that and include the amount of food consumed as well.

http://bringingyouohm.wordpress.com/

Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavanto

'May everyone everywhere be happy
May the whole world be joyous'
#20 Old 01-06-2008, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

Breakfast: seitan jerkey, pretzels, and coke. (I know)

Lunch: Thai Kitchen garlic ramen with tofu and pea pods

dinner: dunno, I have an "instant" stir fry that I'll probably add the rest of the tofu to. And I'm making brownies.

Dude, seitan jerkey and coke is the breakfast of champions!
#21 Old 01-06-2008, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

This is why I don't post in these food threads.. the calorie nazis will yell at you if they don't approve of what you are eating, even though they don't know who you are, how much you weigh, what if any medical conditons you have or what size portions you are eating.

Was that really necessary? If you are concerned that your post may be deleted for this reason, include portions, or some other indication that it's *not* a starvation diet. We DO make an attempt to consider the things you mentioned above, but obviously that's not always possible. It's not about "approving" of what someone's eating, it's about not promoting something unhealthy. I don't appreciate the suggestion that we take this matter lightly. It's a subject of much discussion amongst the mods, and several other members, and the posts get reported frequently. So maybe ease up on the Nazi thing, okay?

As for the deleted posts, one was "soy milk and stirfry" (with veggies and soy sauce). For the Chole Batura, portion size is probably the key. I did look up some caloric information before the post was deleted. It wasn't just willy-nilly.

If I sound a little pissed, it's because I am. The mods get complaints when they edit and get complaints when they don't. We're accused of being unfair, etc. continually and the thought/work we put into moderating is generally ignored. The Nazi swipe was just uncalled for.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 01-06-2008, 03:14 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Was that really necessary? If you are concerned that your post may be deleted for this reason, include portions, or some other indication that it's *not* a starvation diet. We DO make an attempt to consider the things you mentioned above, but obviously that's not always possible. It's not about "approving" of what someone's eating, it's about not promoting something unhealthy. I don't appreciate the suggestion that we take this matter lightly. It's a subject of much discussion amongst the mods, and several other members, and the posts get reported frequently. So maybe ease up on the Nazi thing, okay?

As for the deleted posts, one was "soy milk and stirfry" (with veggies and soy sauce). For the Chole Batura, portion size is probably the key. I did look up some caloric information before the post was deleted. It wasn't just willy-nilly.

If I sound a little pissed, it's because I am. The mods get complaints when they edit and get complaints when they don't. We're accused of being unfair, etc. continually and the thought/work we put into moderating is generally ignored. The Nazi swipe was just uncalled for.

Yes. It was necessary. I said what I felt and I don't apologize for it. I've read many times that we have to make sure we are posting 'enough calories' in case could-be-vegetarians read the board so we don't make a bad impression. I did not become a vegetarian/vegan to be a role model. And I did not join this message board to become a role model. I have enough problems with food and my body functions that I don't need to count every carlorie or measure every portion size...which is a large part of disordered eating habits for some of us. And it's obsessive to have everyone who posts what they eat do so in order to make sure their daily intake falls within someone's idea of 'enough calories'. I've read others saying how they almost have to lie about how much they eat just to post in these threads and that's just sad. It's also sad that two other threads have been shut down because there was too much picking on other people's food choices and arguing over what is considered ok to post. These threads should be fun, but they aren't when there's so much pressure to post correctly.

I like reading what others eat and sometimes I might want to post something if I think it was yummy, but I don't want to be chastised like a child or have my posts deleted because it doesn't seem like I eat enough (enough for whom?). If I want to post that I had 'rice and vegetables' for dinner do I really have to post how much I ate and what specific vegetables/ingredients I used, if I don't feel like it? That's silly. And Jen, it's not just the mods who do this, and I was not speaking about the mods specifically, and this was not some kind of 'attack on the mods' so no need to go into mod-martyr-mode on me. I know you all do a lot of good things and keep this board running but that does not negate the problems that come from too much micro-managing in certain threads.

This thread was about posting vegan food...it did not specify that one needed to eat any particular amount of calories or post a whole days worth of food, like some of the others. So as I was about to post, I read that people were having their posts deleted and I found that absurd. What may be 'unhealthy' for you, may be the best that another can do within their individual circumstances.
#23 Old 01-06-2008, 03:46 PM
Veggie Regular

breakfast: banana and clementine: I wasn't feeling too hungry.

Snack/appetizer: vegan 'sushi' rolls. Avacado/cucumber rolls and nice big pickled beet (pickled them myself!)/bamboo shoot/avacado/cucumber/carrot rolls. As well as organic corn chips (mm blue corn, we also had yellow corn) and salsa (of course, made sure both were vegan).

Lunch: thai red vegetable curry with brown rice and a really nice salad with apples, pine nuts, walnuts, tomato, onions and a light vinagrette.

I'm still stuffed.. and uploading pics of my food onto my blog as we speak haha. I'll work on what I actually eat later, as its still only 6:50 for me and dinner is usually almost at 8.
#24 Old 01-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Banned

Breakfast: English muffin with jam

Lunch: leftover Ethiopian Kik Alecha and Injera

Snack: Popcorn with nutritional yeast and an apple

Dinner: Gnocchi with broccoli, olive oil, pine nuts and vegan soy parmesan
#25 Old 01-06-2008, 03:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthly Delight View Post

...and salsa (of course, made sure both were vegan)...

Is salsa ever NOT vegan?

=====

Breakfast: Leftover rice, veggie tandoori kebabs, bindi masala, naan and pakoras from Bombay Bistro.

Lunch: Leftover potstickers, rice, ginger veggies and tofu from Teapot Vegetarian House restaurant.

Dinner: A couple clementines and some tea. Agh. Can you tell Froggy and I went out to dinner a LOT this past week?
#26 Old 01-06-2008, 04:09 PM
Veggie Regular

One of the ones I was looking at had some pretty sketchy stuff in there--I forget the one that really made me put it down, but it did not sound like it came from a plant, that's for sure. Purely synthetic? could be: figured better not to chance it. :P But yes, silly of me I suppose!
#27 Old 01-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Ankle Biter

Breakfast: Flax Cereal, Silk Light Soymilk

Lunch: Clemintine, left-over Hoppin' John (spicy brown rice and black-eyed peas)

Snack - hummus with pita chips

Dinner - Green beans (lots, to make up for the lack of veggies the rest of the day), mashed potatoes with EB, and a Chickpea Cutlet with mustard sauce (from Veganomicron). Glass of Shiraz.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#28 Old 01-06-2008, 04:27 PM
Veggie Regular

#29 Old 01-06-2008, 04:45 PM
Veggie Regular

breakfast: slept thru that one

lunch: grilled portabello/peppers/onions sammich on french bread w/pesto Vegenaise; some grapes.

dinner: undecided.

Right now I want some popcorn.

Keep on freepin' on

#30 Old 01-06-2008, 04:51 PM

Breakfast: Puffins cereal with soy milk, cantaloupe

Lunch: Tortilla chips with mashed avocado and salsa

No dinner just snacksfootball day so no real meals!) Baked sweet potato fries, 1/2 a banana, diet pepsi

also decaf green tea and water throughout the day. I will have chocolate vegan pudding soon that I made this morning.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page