What did you eat Vegan Today? - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 01-06-2008, 08:17 PM

I'm gonna post what I am eating tomorrow:

Breakfast: 2 Yves Hot Dogs(I love those things) with some Soy Milk

Lunch: A Bag of Pretzels with a Bottle of Orangeade

Dinner: Piece of Tofurky Roast, With Vegan Chicken Strips, Salad, with Vegan Gravy and Maybe another Yves Vegan Hot Dog

Thats my menu for tomorrow!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 01-06-2008, 10:53 PM

Breakfast: jazz apple (these are wow) orange, toast w/ earth balance/ strawberry jam

Lunch: I made Chana masala with jasmine rice, chips/salsa few spice drops ( I was sewing curtains so I needed that candy lol)

snack, carrots and hummus

Dinner: more Chana masala (this stuff is so good) more rice, apple, more chips/salsa, pineapple slices (buy these when they are really sweet and cheaper, freeze them whole with peel on, then thaw, they peel SO easy and taste just as good as fresh)

snack, more rice with leftover stir fry from last night, I am full, I should have skipped the stir fry lol
#33 Old 01-07-2008, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hang~Ten~Honey View Post

Yes. It was necessary. I said what I felt and I don't apologize for it. I've read many times that we have to make sure we are posting 'enough calories' in case could-be-vegetarians read the board so we don't make a bad impression. I did not become a vegetarian/vegan to be a role model. And I did not join this message board to become a role model. I have enough problems with food and my body functions that I don't need to count every carlorie or measure every portion size...which is a large part of disordered eating habits for some of us. And it's obsessive to have everyone who posts what they eat do so in order to make sure their daily intake falls within someone's idea of 'enough calories'. I've read others saying how they almost have to lie about how much they eat just to post in these threads and that's just sad. It's also sad that two other threads have been shut down because there was too much picking on other people's food choices and arguing over what is considered ok to post. These threads should be fun, but they aren't when there's so much pressure to post correctly.

*sigh* I didn't anything about counting every calorie, or measuring every portion. As for "someone's idea of enough calories", I can speak only for the mod staff in saying that it's not just "our idea", but the WHO, AMA, etc. There has been problems in another thread, yes. One however, was closed just because the threads were basically duplicates. The ONE "rule" (in the daily food log) is to post enough calories to be above the starvation diet level (about 1200 calories). Age, size, etc. aren't really factors in this, as most anyone (unless there's some medical condition) will not thrive on fewer calories than this. It's not like the mods are just picking some random amount.

Quote:

I like reading what others eat and sometimes I might want to post something if I think it was yummy, but I don't want to be chastised like a child or have my posts deleted because it doesn't seem like I eat enough (enough for whom?). If I want to post that I had 'rice and vegetables' for dinner do I really have to post how much I ate and what specific vegetables/ingredients I used, if I don't feel like it? That's silly. And Jen, it's not just the mods who do this, and I was not speaking about the mods specifically, and this was not some kind of 'attack on the mods' so no need to go into mod-martyr-mode on me. I know you all do a lot of good things and keep this board running but that does not negate the problems that come from too much micro-managing in certain threads.

I didn't say it was *just* about the mods, but your comment earlier came very shortly after the posts were deleted, if it was directed at least in part to the moderators, then perhaps you should reconsider the phrasing of the post. I'm not generally a mod-martyr type of gal, but this issue (food logs, etc.) has been a pain in the ass for far too long. Being called (or insinuated or whatever) to be a calorie nazi is offensive and mean, and I have every right to dislike it. Deleting two posts from a thread is hardly micro-managing.

Quote:

This thread was about posting vegan food...it did not specify that one needed to eat any particular amount of calories or post a whole days worth of food, like some of the others. So as I was about to post, I read that people were having their posts deleted and I found that absurd. What may be 'unhealthy' for you, may be the best that another can do within their individual circumstances.

Again, regarding "unhealthy", it's just my opinion, but what is generally considered healthful by health organizations etc.

If you want to continue this discussion further, let's start a new thread in Community Assistance. I'm tired of PMs, reports, etc. on food logs. I mean really, there are A LOT of issues. If there's some way to hammer out an agreement, I'm fine with that.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 01-07-2008, 12:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I did not become a vegetarian/vegan to be a role model. And I did not join this message board to become a role model

You might not have joined the board to be a role model but you need to understand that this forum is accessible to everyone. I moderate a healthy eating forum and I constantly have to monitor food diary threads because I don't want visitors to think extremely bad examples are okay. I've had to ban members from posting in there. It really isn't me being a nazi, it's me recognising that it's not just members who take note but that EVERYONE has access to it, and as a moderator I feel that it is MY responsibility. I've had members slowly reducing their intake until they are eating little or nothing at all, it's not fun to read and it's not nice to feel like it's partly down to you for not acting sooner.

It's really very difficult to consume less than 1000-1200 calories if you're eating a balanced and healthy diet. Eating less than that puts your body into starvation mode, no matter what size and weight you are.

I don't ever count calories but I always know if I'm getting enough. If I've been eating low calorie meals I treat myself to chocolate, fruit or nuts to up my intake.

I'll stop hijacking the thread now

Breakfast, smoothie : orange, grapes, banana, plums, orange juice, b12 suppliment

Lunch will be a korean pot noodle and some dried fruit afterwards

Snack will be a pack of crisps

Dinner will be a huge salad and bean burgers.
#35 Old 01-07-2008, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sadie View Post

Breakfast: jazz apple (these are wow) orange, toast w/ earth balance/ strawberry jam

Lunch: I made Chana masala with jasmine rice, chips/salsa few spice drops ( I was sewing curtains so I needed that candy lol)

snack, carrots and hummus

Dinner: more Chana masala (this stuff is so good) more rice, apple, more chips/salsa, pineapple slices (buy these when they are really sweet and cheaper, freeze them whole with peel on, then thaw, they peel SO easy and taste just as good as fresh)

snack, more rice with leftover stir fry from last night, I am full, I should have skipped the stir fry lol

i LOVE chana masala, and when i make it, will eat it a couple of times a day til it's gone!! then a week or two after it's gone, i have to make some more
#36 Old 01-07-2008, 11:01 AM

I just love reading these types of posts and seeing what amazing and diverse food Vegans have discovered!

Anyway,

I will post yesterday's meal. (Nothing too fancy as I am also feeding an Omni boyfriend):

Breakfast: Oatmeal with soymilk and a tablespoon of flax seed meal with raisins. Half a banana. 2 cups of coffee with agave nectar.

Snack: Dried Mango slices

Lunch: BBQ Tofu with broccoli, homemade garlic mashed potatoes, and steamed carrots. Lots of water!

Snack: hot homemade Chai Soy Latte

Dinner: 2 slices of Vegan Pizza. I used a cornmeal crust with tomato sauce, Yves Pepperoni slices, Vegan Gourmet "Mozz", fresh basil, and fresh garlic. Side spinach salad with avocados, tomatoes, Drew's Garlic Italian dressing, and mushrooms. Lots of water!

Dessert: Homemade Vegan Oatmeal Raisin cookies!

---btw, my omni boyfriend is a pizzaholic. He LOVED this Vegan version! I was a bit worried at first because tastes can vary but he devoured every bit even asking if he could have the last piece! This made me very happy as he will now consider the Vegan version over the normal pepperoni/cheese version. A lot of it is due to the quality of the Vegan Gourmet 'cheese'. He really liked it!
#37 Old 01-07-2008, 11:10 AM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: Tofu scramble and toast with Earth Balance and raspberry jam

Snack: A handful of almonds

Lunch: A bowl of corn chowder with carrots and a banana for dessert

Snack (will be): Oatmeal with raisins (I know I'm weird, I like oatmeal in the afternoon)

Dinner (will be): Bean stew and spinach-cucumber-tomato salad as a side
#38 Old 01-07-2008, 11:46 AM
Beginner

Breakfast: Oatmeal and cranberry tea

Lunch: Fried chick peas and bok choy,carrots, and fruit juice
#39 Old 01-07-2008, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelinadatta View Post

Snack (will be): Oatmeal with raisins (I know I'm weird, I like oatmeal in the afternoon)

I'm the same way, oatmeal anytime is really good!
#40 Old 01-07-2008, 12:46 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: My typical toasted peanut butter banana sandwich, cup of decaf coffee with vanilla Silk creamer

Snack: Two "healthy" cookies (whole wheat with 7 grain kashi flakes & raisins)

Lunch: Some curried chick peas, without rice I was busy and realized all of a sudden at 3:20 that I was starving and hadn't thought to have lunch. The curried chickpeas take all of 5 minutes and I didn't want to wait 40+ minutes for the rice to cook. I really need to get some instant rice :/

Dinner will be red beans and rice, stir fry with tofu, and whatever other vegan goodness my bf's family cooks up tonight! (The stir fry is my contribution)
#41 Old 01-07-2008, 01:05 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast - oatmeal with maple syrup, cinnamon and toasted pecans

Lunch - wild rice blend with brussel sprouts on the side

Snack - Oriental rice cracker mix with nuts

Dinner - I plan to have brown rice with some dal

Dessert - probably an orange, grapefruit or pear and a few dates
#42 Old 01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I missed breakfast (sleeping lol)

For lunch i had some sheese spread and cucumber sandwiches, and some bourbons

For dinner i had chili, followed by some cooked apple and ice cream.
#43 Old 01-07-2008, 03:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamry View Post

You might not have joined the board to be a role model but you need to understand that this forum is accessible to everyone. I moderate a healthy eating forum and I constantly have to monitor food diary threads because I don't want visitors to think extremely bad examples are okay. [...]

i think there is a need to try to eliminate stereotypes about vegans - because we should be promoting it as a healthy lifestyle to encourage others to try it too. the only vegans i knew when i was younger were all deathly thin and pale. when i found out about factory farming and decided to stop eating animals, i sincerely believed that the human diet NEEDED dairy and eggs - because i had never met a healthy vegan. i believed that they completely compromised their health by becoming vegan - that was fine for them but as a single mother of 2, i didn't feel it was wise for me to do.

well now it's me. and i DO think i should be an example/role model. when they see me participate in the blood drives at work, or the little 5K races they sponsor, the myth of anemic sickly vegans is dispelled. i'm working on weight loss, i have a ways to go, but making progress, and they see that (incidentally i eat all day at work, they see that as well).

i think being an example is excellent, effective activism.
#44 Old 01-07-2008, 05:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: 3 pancakes

Snack: Toast with almond butter and half a banana sliced on top

Lunch: Tortilla wrap with "Goddess Garbanzos" from ED&BV; Celery with salsa

Snack: Nature's Path Heritage Flakes & All-Bran with Rice Milk (I had to make up for my lack of cereal for breakfast!)

Dinner: Chickpea and Spinach Couscous Salad and Green Leaf Lettuce with "Honey" Mustard Dressing from ED&BV
#45 Old 01-07-2008, 05:26 PM
Ankle Biter

Breakfast - Coffee, silk creamer, almond butter and apple butter on whole wheat toast

Lunch - homemade "chick'n" salad on whole wheat bread, with sprouts, tomato and baby spinach

Snack(s) - hummus on crackers, bread with artichoke & tomato spread

Dinner - whole wheat angle hair, marinara, sauteed portobellos and spinach, a slice of bread, and a glass of zinfindel

snacks - two Mary Janes.

once again - too much grainy stuff, not enough veggies. I need to change that.

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#46 Old 01-07-2008, 05:47 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: Left-over stir fry and 1/2 bag multigrain pilaf with a strawberry-blueberry-banana smoothie

Lunch: Left-over stir fry and 1/2 bag multigrain pilaf with a coke

dinner: tofurkey sandwich with gravy and mashed potatoes
#47 Old 01-07-2008, 07:23 PM
Veggie Regular

breakfast: 2 glasses of smoothie (plain soy milk, blueberries, raspberries, blackberries, a banana, and mango)

snack: 1 cup raw broccoli

lunch: huge salad with romaine, red leaf, and spinach topped with yellow peppers, carrots, tomatos, raw sesame seeds, olives, squeezed lemon juice, apple cider vinegar

dinner: whole wheat "spaghetti & beanballs" from veganomicon with a side of steamed kale :P

snack: apple
#48 Old 01-08-2008, 03:49 PM

My Meal Today:

Toast with Earth Balance Light and Chocolate Soy Milk

Snack:Sun Chips Original with Orangeade

Lunch: Piece of Leftover Tofurky Roast and One Yves Hot Dog with Ketchup & Mustard

Snack:Crackers with Natural Peanut Butter

Dinner:Steamed Rice with String Beans & Teriyaki Sauce with Onions & Mushrooms
#49 Old 01-08-2008, 04:03 PM
Ankle Biter

Breakfast - flax cereal with light soy milk

Snack - apple

Lunch - "Mixed Vegetable Delight" (basically stir-fried broccoli, zucchini, baby corn, mushrooms, carrots, water chestnuts, in soy and garlic oil with steamed rice)

Snack - homemade hummus with pita chips

Dinner - black bean burritos on whole wheat tortillas with carmelized onions, guacamole, salsa, baby spinach, tomatoes and Better Than Sour Cream

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#50 Old 01-08-2008, 04:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppy View Post

Breakfast - flax cereal with light soy milk

Snack - apple

Lunch - "Mixed Vegetable Delight" (basically stir-fried broccoli, zucchini, baby corn, mushrooms, carrots, water chestnuts, in soy and garlic oil with steamed rice)

Snack - homemade hummus with pita chips

Dinner - black bean burritos on whole wheat tortillas with carmelized onions, guacamole, salsa, baby spinach, tomatoes and Better Than Sour Cream

Your whole day...
#51 Old 01-08-2008, 04:28 PM
Ankle Biter

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

Your whole day...

It was a particularly tasty day.

#52 Old 01-08-2008, 06:44 PM
Beginner

I woke up late today, so:

Lunch: Steamed bread roll; bowl of soup containing tomatoes, potatoes, bell peppers, onions, and other red vegetables; half a yam.

Snacking of the Afternoon: Lotsa cashews, hibiscus sorbet, half an orange, an apple

And now I await dinnertime.
#53 Old 01-08-2008, 07:31 PM

Breakfast: nothing.. I know I'm bad but it was really early

Lunch: Pasta salad, salad (with italian dressing tomatos, olives, etc.)

Snack: Half an everything bagle with tofitti cream cheese

Dinner: "ribs", mashed potatoes, squash

Dessert: purely decadent vegan cherry ice cream
#54 Old 01-08-2008, 08:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: My trusty toasted PB banana sandwich. NO coffee!!! For the first time in forever.

Lunch: Leftover stir fry with tofu, soy yogurt

Snack: Grapes and Cheerios (don't ask)

Dinner: Avocado sushi rolls, pita chips, mystery soup from Wild Oats (it was labelled sweet potato but tasted more like butternut squash)

Bedtime snack: 7 grain Kashi flakes with raisins and rice milk
#55 Old 01-08-2008, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: Ramen with tofu and a smoothie.

Lunch: 1/2 burrito, the kind that are the size of a brick.

Dessert: brownie and sugar-free hot cocoa (it kinda sucked, next time I'm using sugar.)

Dinner: Last bit of tofurkey, last bit of scalloped corn, last bit of roast veggies, steamed potatoes, and lots of ketchup.

Late Snack: Joe O's and soymilk.

I get really hungry when I'm on my period. Also no coffee or pop.
#56 Old 01-08-2008, 08:36 PM
Veggie Regular

I had a whole cantaloupe for breakky (it was a smaller one though), I had a "bunless burger" from Fresh (a vegetarian/vegan restaurant chain here in TO) for lunch and roasted brussels sprouts and onions for dinner. Plus a really jinormous fiji apple as a snack, plus a few clementines and cherry tomatoes.
#57 Old 01-09-2008, 04:38 PM

My Meal Today:

Breakfast: Onion Pita w/ Earth Balance Butter and a cup Of coffee w. Soy Milk

Snack: 2 Bags of Original Sun Chips with Tropicana Orangeade

Lunch: Piece of Tofurkey w/ Vegan Chicken

Snack:2 Grapefruits

Dinner: Nothing Big, just some Fried Plaintains
#58 Old 01-09-2008, 04:44 PM
Ankle Biter

Breakfast - Flax Plus cereal with light soy milk and a small banana, and coffee with silk creamer

Lunch - a black bean burrito on a small whole wheat tortilla with carmelized onions and salsa, and a large Gala apple

Snack - three sections of veggie sushi (with brown rice)

Dinner - a Sunshine burger on a whole wheat bun with vegenaise, sprouts, tomato, and baby spinach; and a salad with baby greens, edamame, mushrooms, carrots, cabbage, cranberries and sunflower seeds with Brianna's poppyseed dressing.

snack - two Mary Janes (so far)

#59 Old 01-09-2008, 07:20 PM
Veggie Regular

Breakfast: Granola cereal with soy milk and banana.

Snack: Orange

Lunch: Salad with lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers, green peppers and italian dressing.

Dinner: Whole wheat pasta salad and s/o beans

Dessert: Peanut butter
#60 Old 01-10-2008, 08:17 AM
Veggie Regular

So far today just breakfast. Ran out of bread and bananas so I had hot rice cereal with maple syrup, rice milk, and blueberries instead. And a cup of decaf coffee (first one in 3 days)

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page