Sugar In Foods... Do you still eat the food if the Sugar isnt Raw?? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 01-05-2008, 07:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Just wondering if you stil eat food that contain Sugar that isnt raw..?

For example Ive had sorbet that doesnt contain dairy..

But what about the sugar... Same as chocolate and so on.. ??

Thanks..
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Veggie Regular

This seems to vary among veg*ns. The issue isn't about whether it's raw or not but whether it's been filtered through bone char. I personally don't worry about it in packaged products but buy vegan sugar for use at home. Some people choose not to eat the bone char filtered sugar.
#3 Old 01-05-2008, 08:24 PM
Veggie Regular

I was wondering this, too...

I buy raw sugar for home, and even bring it to work for my coffee...but I wonder about packaged foods.

Potato chips, bread, crackers, oreo cookies, cereal, etc...

I know that SOME brands of white sugar do not use bone char...but I'm sure that the corporations of the food industry just want the cheapest they can get thier hands on.

And yet, I hear so many people, who normally avoid white sugar, celebrating the fact that Oreo Cookies are Vegan...but what about the sugar????

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 01-05-2008, 11:15 PM
Veggie Regular

I still buy things without knowing whether it has been filtered through bone char, but I buy unfiltered for my house.
#5 Old 01-05-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovelyPerv View Post

I was wondering this, too...

I buy raw sugar for home, and even bring it to work for my coffee...but I wonder about packaged foods.

Potato chips, bread, crackers, oreo cookies, cereal, etc...

I know that SOME brands of white sugar do not use bone char...but I'm sure that the corporations of the food industry just want the cheapest they can get thier hands on.

And yet, I hear so many people, who normally avoid white sugar, celebrating the fact that Oreo Cookies are Vegan...but what about the sugar????

I know this is completely off.. but.. Oreo cookies are vegan??
#6 Old 01-06-2008, 12:11 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jepawsbo View Post

I know this is completely off.. but.. Oreo cookies are vegan??

I have not read the label myself...and I WILL before purchasing them...

I've heard/read that many times. Oreo cookies seem to be a big symbol of "See? We eat normal foods, too!"

Just a few days ago, I stumbled onto this: http://www.peta.org/accidentallyVegan/

...which DOES have Oreos listed.

Back on topic though...I'm sure that ALL THOSE foods you can pick up at the supermarket may very well be vegan...except for the sugar!

Where is the sugar line drawn?

Give thanks to Mother Earth for Her greatest gift...

...gravity.

For without it, we would be lost.
#7 Old 01-06-2008, 07:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Mmmm yeah its a hard one...

I eat Oreos... And general things that are vegan with sugar..

But I buy raw sugar at home...
#8 Old 01-07-2008, 01:50 AM

They say directly on the peta website that all items may not be 100% vegan. You have to love fine print.

I too have heard this, so I'll have to check the packaging when I'm shopping next. I try to avoid cookies like that anyway. What's the point of a serving size of 3 cookies...you've got to be kidding me. I'm lucky if I can keep myself from eating the whole bag.

I have food issues, what can I say??

As to the original message, I'm not really vegan yet, but I'm trying to edge myself in there. I think the main issue should be whether or not you are comfortable eating the certain products. We each have to be responsible for ourselves, and who am I to tell you you're doing something wrong when I can't stop eating cookies?
#9 Old 01-07-2008, 05:25 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't eat Oreos because they're pure junk.

As for the products with sugar, I'll buy them if it reads sugar and not corn syrup or high fructose corn syrup. It's enough of a challenge trying to find products sans CS and HFCS. I'm not going to worry about whether or not the sugar was used with bone char, especially with an omni husband who has slowly followed my lead. (I still can't get him to voluntarily eat fruits and veggies most days, but I guess the key word is "voluntarily." I like the V8 commercials even though I don't like the product. The fruit juice version contains HFCS, but I don't know about the vegetable version.)

I understand that for some vegans, honey is also a no-no. Yet, again, I accept it. The only brand of whole wheat bread my husband likes (and it took awhile to get him to start eating WW) contains honey as a sweetener.

Unless I build my own house somewhere away from the rest of the world and become totally self-sufficient, I don't think I could be 100% vegan if I tried.
#10 Old 01-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Veggie Regular

As with most of the people here, I buy raw sugar for home use but have no problem buying products that may contain non-vegan sugar. I don't feel like any less of a vegan as a result. We all draw the vegan line in slightly different places.
#11 Old 01-12-2008, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Sugar filtered through bone char??? What will they think of next? Ya know, it amazes me sometimes how the whole food production industry seems to really work at exploiting animal products and making it as difficult as possible for those who really care about animal exploitation to eat anything at all. Makes you want to eat just raw veggies and fruit (but then, those aren't completely unadultrated either, are they???)

Sorry for the mini rant there... I'm trying to stay vegan this year and still learning about it and every day it seems I learn about another way that animals are exploited.

To answer the original thread - I'm actually trying very hard to stay away from sugar and sugar products and don't even have any sugar in the house (but if I did it would be organic and raw). I tend to go more for maple syrup if I need to sweeten anything. Or I use dried fruit as a sweetener, like dates. I do eat flax cereal, but they are organic and sweetened with organic cane sugar so I'm guessing it's ok.

Tam
#12 Old 01-12-2008, 06:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't really worry about sugar in foods... I look at it this way; Cheap production is desirable any time you're selling a product. So it is more likely than not that the sugar in stuff is beet sugar. Beet sugar is cheaper than cane sugar.

As for the sugar that we buy to sweeten with, we sometimes buy raw sugar but that gets expensive. When we buy white granulated sugar we make sure the bag does not say cane sugar. Another VB'er (can't remember who) alleged that most granulated sugar is beet sugar, apart from the sugar that actually says cane sugar.

Regarding Oreo... Even the generic store brands that I've seen have been vegan
#13 Old 01-12-2008, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy2880 View Post

I don't really worry about sugar in foods... I look at it this way; Cheap production is desirable any time you're selling a product. So it is more likely than not that the sugar in stuff is beet sugar. Beet sugar is cheaper than cane sugar.

As for the sugar that we buy to sweeten with, we sometimes buy raw sugar but that gets expensive. When we buy white granulated sugar we make sure the bag does not say cane sugar. Another VB'er (can't remember who) alleged that most granulated sugar is beet sugar, apart from the sugar that actually says cane sugar.

Regarding Oreo... Even the generic store brands that I've seen have been vegan

That's what the reading I've been doing lately says. It makes me happy because I can buy sugar that was grown and produced in my state.

I'm planning to do some letter writing this week to some of the companies that make products I like to find out how they source their sugar. I'll post the results as I get them.
#14 Old 01-12-2008, 07:38 PM
Veggie Regular

Well I used to, but now that I am trying to go 100% raw I really don't eat sugar other than natural sugar in fruits.

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#15 Old 01-12-2008, 08:09 PM
Veggie Regular

I agree with everyone else. If i buy sugar (rarely!) its vegan, if I eat something with sugar already in I dont really fret about it.

As for oreos, my sister was eating them the other day (I have no idea where you even buy oreos in England!) and they had whey in... so er, english import oreos = not vegan.
#16 Old 01-12-2008, 09:07 PM
Banned

Quote:
As for oreos, my sister was eating them the other day (I have no idea where you even buy oreos in England!) and they had whey in... so er, english import oreos = not vegan.

sainsburys has 'em on their website. it says the british import ones are made in spain, and they have whey in 'em on their ingredients panel too. isn't that just flipping great? i spose its only fair seeing as the UK has way better vegan stuff generally, but its a bit of a shame.

i especially love this bit of the preparation guidelines from their page on the sainsburys site- looks like something got lost in translation, as well as an ingredient getting added:

Quote:
Preparation

OREO EATING INSTRUCTIONS

1 TWIST IT

2 LICK THE CREAM

3 NOW DUNK IT IN THE MILK...

4 UMMMMM...!

err, yeah, 'UMMMMM..... what?' i think thats supposed to be 'mmmmmm'. or maybe its meant to be 'UMMMMM... this cookie tastes rubbish', or 'UMMMMM... that milk you just dunked the cookie in... you know that came outta a cow, right? thats kinda gross.' instead hahahaha.
#17 Old 02-03-2008, 02:53 AM
Veggie Regular

In did some volunteer work at PETA a while back and they had a vending machine that they only stored what they considered vegan items.

Several of them appeared to contain sugar, like 100 Calorie Oreo cookie crackers.

After seeing this I figured that if it is considered acceptable to PEtA I guess I don't have a problem with it.

I just wonder if Hindus forbid this since I believe that the bone char that they use is derived from cows.

Does anybody know this, regarding Hindus beliefs on this?
#18 Old 02-03-2008, 12:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Possibly this isn't the same in every country, but in New Zealand the product sold as "raw sugar" is purely a marketing tactic. People here buy it because they believe it's less processed than white sugar and it's all bull. Years ago I had a friend who had worked in the Chelsea Sugar Factory (biggest/only one in NZ) who said that actually "Raw Sugar" as sold to consumers is the most processed of all the sugars. It all starts off in the same vat, where it's refined and purified in various ways. At that point some of it gets crystallized into white sugar. The other portion has molasses (or whatever) added back in, then the brown sugar is crystallized out at one temperature and then the "raw" sugar at a different one since the granule sizes are larger. He said that was the last form of sugar made. Raw, indeed.

Raw sugar as the industry uses the term still has other plant material and contaminants in it and I don't think it's very usable. And I just found a link that says raw sugar is not sold to consumers and the USFDA classifies it as "unfit for direct use as food or as a food ingredient because of the impurities it ordinarily contains." www.sugaralliance.org So if people are buying raw sugar just to buy something less processed, they may as well buy whatever sugar they prefer for taste. Turbinado sugar may be the least processed of the sugar crystals that can be bought, but it's still fairly highly processed.

It's another scam taking advantage of people's association that pale food = bleached and processed and brown food = natural and unprocessed and more healthy. It even extends to eggs. I've had several off-planet discussions with people telling me that free range & organic eggs are brown and factory farmed white and that brown eggs are unbleached and so don't have the harmful chemicals that white ones do. True, all free range eggs here are brown, but that's because so many people have no clue that eggshell color is due to chicken breed, not method of raising. You literally couldn't sell a white free range/ organic egg because nobody would believe it.

And back to sugar, whether it's originally from beets or cane, it's nearly pure sucrose. There's no chemical difference between sucrose from beets or from cane. Not all commercial sugar is filtered through char, even the mainstream brands, but if it's something you care about, then you should check.
#19 Old 02-03-2008, 01:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I buy raw organic sugar for home use.

I went to a restaurant called PF Changs and only one of their meals under vegetarian was actually vegan. I asked the server why, when there arent any mentioned dairy/egg ingredients. The only reason why they dont call them vegan is because the sugar might have been filtered through bone char(they arent 100% sure though). I didnt object because I want to try their coconut curry tofu. It was really nice they were so informative to think of peoples needs.

So yeah, sugar is a tough one.
#20 Old 02-03-2008, 01:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I just eat sugar. I never buy just a pound of sugar or anything, but now that I don't eat honey I can't really be that picky. Maybe as I go further into veganism I'll reconsider, but as it stands I really don't eat a lot of sugar anyways and I'm having a hard time surviving on my college campus just not eating dairy, eggs, and honey. =/
#21 Old 02-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Beginner

In Australia they dont use bone char! YAY!

haha, although, I try to avoid sugar at all costs as much as I can
#22 Old 02-04-2008, 08:28 AM

probably an obvious answer, but how the heck do i know if sugar I buy is bone-char filtered or not? does it have to be from whole foods or something?
#23 Old 02-04-2008, 09:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by arrozconevan View Post

probably an obvious answer, but how the heck do i know if sugar I buy is bone-char filtered or not? does it have to be from whole foods or something?

Beet sugar is never bone-char filtered and raw can sugar isn't either. White and brown cane sugar is often bone-char filtered but not all companies do it. It's just easier to avoid buying it. It should say on the bag if it's beet or cane sugar. I also like beet sugar because it's grown and produced in my state rather than half way around the world.
#24 Old 02-08-2008, 05:16 PM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. Will avoid it some of the time, but other times, ehh, what the hey. If a product has it. Like some candy from the ethnic section of the store, or something.

But when cooking, I never add sugar- usually maple syrup, but sometimes (okay, don't hurt me) raw honey.

Raw sugar is okay? What's the difference between raw sugar and cane sugar, anyway? And isn't cane sugar sometimes processed with the bone char too??
#25 Old 02-10-2008, 10:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

Beet sugar is never bone-char filtered and raw can sugar isn't either. White and brown cane sugar is often bone-char filtered but not all companies do it. It's just easier to avoid buying it. It should say on the bag if it's beet or cane sugar. I also like beet sugar because it's grown and produced in my state rather than half way around the world.

In my experience I've never seen it indicated on a bag of sugar that it's beet sugar. Though some do say cane sugar. Most think it's okay to assume beet sugar if it doesn't specifically say cane. But as for the fine print, the ingredients it'll just say "sugar". They sure don't want to make it easy for us

Quote:
Originally Posted by PneumaticJawz78 View Post

Raw sugar is okay? What's the difference between raw sugar and cane sugar, anyway? And isn't cane sugar sometimes processed with the bone char too??

Raw sugar doesn't go through as much processing. The molasses isn't removed.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page