Do you guys own/like these books? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-19-2007, 03:26 PM
Veggie Regular

Even though I am not opening them till the day of, I already know part of what hubby is getting me for Yule/Xmas. I'm a new vegan, and although he is o/l, he ie interested in trying to eat more vegan meals. In that light , he asked me to choose four books I would like for presents.

These are the ones I chose:

Raising Vegetarian Children- 4 yr old is l/o and 18 month old is vegan. Just want to make sure I have all the nutritional,etc. bases covered

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook

Vegan with a Vengeance

Veganomicon

Does anyone own these books? Were they decent choices? I'm so excited about learning new recipes!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-19-2007, 03:38 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by paganveg View Post

These are the ones I chose:

Raising Vegetarian Children- 4 yr old is l/o and 18 month old is vegan. Just want to make sure I have all the nutritional,etc. bases covered

The Ultimate Uncheese Cookbook

Vegan with a Vengeance

Veganomicon

Does anyone own these books? Were they decent choices? I'm so excited about learning new recipes!!!!

I have both Vegan with a Vengeance and Veganomicon. Both have good recipes but Veganomicon has way more to choose from. It has a ton of recipes of all sorts, plus they are labeled with time requirements so you can easily spot recipes that match the amount of effort you're able to put towards cooking that day. My husband and I have enjoyed 99% of the recipes we've tried in that book
#3 Old 12-19-2007, 03:40 PM
Veggie Regular

I found VWAV's recipes to be a bit beyond my cooking skills, personally. I'm sure if I'd practiced some of them (or even tried for that matter, I was put off by them and the 100000 ingredients/steps) I could have done it.

I want to check out Veganomicon. I have Vegan Planet, which is pretty good. I've made some of the recipes in it and had good success.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-19-2007, 06:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon View Post

I found VWAV's recipes to be a bit beyond my cooking skills, personally. I'm sure if I'd practiced some of them (or even tried for that matter, I was put off by them and the 100000 ingredients/steps) I could have done it.

I so so so so agree with this. And it's not just you Brandon, many people feel that way about VWAV. Heck, I consider myself a pretty GOOD cook (as I'm pretty sure you are too Brandon) and the recipes/number of ingredients are a bit much for me.

I'd like to get V'con someday too, maybe when I can get a used copy off Amazon or something... it's expensive!!
#5 Old 12-19-2007, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

I would definitely get V'con. User friendly and tons of recipes. It's expensive, but worth the money in my opinion. Also, if you get V'con it has some VWAV recipes in it...so bonus
#6 Old 12-19-2007, 07:18 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

I so so so so agree with this. And it's not just you Brandon, many people feel that way about VWAV. Heck, I consider myself a pretty GOOD cook (as I'm pretty sure you are too Brandon) and the recipes/number of ingredients are a bit much for me.

I'd like to get V'con someday too, maybe when I can get a used copy off Amazon or something... it's expensive!!

But....you're like the kitchen GOD??!!!

Actually, thanks for this post, Marti. I suddenly feel much better.
#7 Old 12-19-2007, 07:20 PM
Administrator

Only bad thing about Veganomicon IMO is that there are no pictures. I like to see what a recipe should look like before I attempt making it.

VeggieBoards Alumni Facebook Group

If you're an old time VB'er stop by and say hi!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
#8 Old 12-19-2007, 07:21 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I so so so so agree with this. And it's not just you Brandon, many people feel that way about VWAV.

Raises hand.
#9 Old 12-19-2007, 07:35 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I am always looking at your blog...if YOU think the recipes from VWAV are beyond you..what hope do I have..
#10 Old 12-19-2007, 07:36 PM

I got Vegan Freak and The Joy of Vegan Baking the other day in the mail.

Haven't gotten around to the baking yet, but I have looked at the recipes and they seem awesome! Can't wait.

Vegan Freak is pretty nice too. It's funny yet serious where it has to be. It does make be proud to be a (borderline) Vegan Freak. It's doesn't talk too much of the health benefits of veganism as that has been covered plenty in other books (which is fine, because I don't need a book to tell me the benefits) and it doesn't go all spiritual on you with "new age" stuff. It helps support you were your family and friends may not and teaches you how to deal. I like it so far.
#11 Old 12-19-2007, 07:39 PM
Veggie Regular

I've been looking for a good used price on Vegan Freak for a while. Glad to read a good review!
#12 Old 12-19-2007, 07:42 PM

I have VWAV and Veganomicon. I also have the orginial version of the Uncheese cookbook but have not really used it a lot.

I love VWAV, it's definitely my favourite cookbook. The thing I like best about about it is that it doesn't use processed ingredients, so many vegan cookbooks call for fake meats/cheese/egg replacer etc and other things that aren't easy to find where I like. I am not generally the greatest cook if I am not following a recipe but almost everything I have made from the book has tasted good, I think the ingredients lists/methods make the recipes look more intimidating than they are actually are and once you start cooking things from it the recipes are generally quite simple.

I haven't had Veganomicon that long but so far it seems pretty good too.
#13 Old 12-19-2007, 08:07 PM

Quote:

I've been looking for a good used price on Vegan Freak for a while. Glad to read a good review!

Well I got it on Amazon.com and at the time they had this free shipping option when you have an order of over 25 bucks, so with my two books I barely had 26 haha. There were a couple of used books, but plus the shipping it was cheaper to just buy directly from amazon (plus you know it will be in completely new condition).

It might be in Borders now if you don't want to wait or pay the shipping. I got it for 12.30 online, it's originally 13.95

Haha its also conveniently sized! I take it with me everywhere so I can read bits and pieces.

NEW SIGNATURE! hehe excited much?
#14 Old 12-19-2007, 08:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I am always looking at your blog...if YOU think the recipes from VWAV are beyond you..what hope do I have..

Heh, thanks. No, to clarify, I probably could make most things in the book, I'm sure anyone could - the directions are clear and concise and it must be a good book because there are many people out there that swear by it... it's just that I have found easier, simpler recipes that basically make the same thing and don't require "...100000 ingredients/steps..."

My personal faves are "The Voluptuous Vegan", "Vegan Freak" and "The Vegan Family Cookbook".

I have "The Uncheese Cookbook" and it's somewhat of a staple just for the several "cheesy" recipes I use all the time in other dishes.
#15 Old 12-19-2007, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Down with recipes that require 100000 ingredients/steps!!!
#16 Old 12-19-2007, 09:05 PM
Veggie Regular

I have 3 out of the 4 books. Only one I don't have is the uncheese book. I love both of Isas books. I didn't find the recipes in VWAV that difficult. The Joy of Vegan Baking is a must have. I also like Eat drink and be Vegan.
#17 Old 12-20-2007, 06:02 AM
Veggie Regular

Thanks for all the help guys. I'll have to check out the other books mentioned too..once I get through the ones I have.
#18 Old 12-20-2007, 06:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Down with recipes that require 100000 ingredients/steps!!!

Hey, almost everything I make has many, many ingredients, but not so many steps, really.

Then again, I don't cook from recipes really.

I guess I follow a similar "formula" for a lot of what I make, use lots of "bases" that are the same (pretty much anything I make that isn't sweet will have these elements: shallots, garlic, leeks, onions of all sorts, nutritional yeast, umeboshi vinegar or lemon juice or vinegar and salt, pepper of some sort, coconut or other good oil often added after cooking).

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#19 Old 12-20-2007, 06:35 AM
Veggie Regular

I love the recipes in VWAV. I am odd and like a challenge and am of the thought that if it doesnt' come out tasty, then I'll go get take out. my mom and i have tried a lot of recipes from Isa and Terry and love them. they are time consuming, but definitely worth it!
#20 Old 12-20-2007, 09:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I'm curious what recipes people thought were too complicated! I'm sure some of them are, but there are plenty of easy ones, too.

These are some of my favs from VWAV: (and I'm an average cook at best)

(The best falafel I've ever eaten), fronch toast, pumpkin muffins, pancakes (I usually add blueberries) Isa Pizza, Sweet Potato Fries, Chickpea and Spinach Curry. Did not like: Chili sin Carne, (Yuck!) Chickpea broccoli casserole, (Too plain imo) and I prefer the pesto recipe in Vegan Planet.

I've only made one thing from my new copy of Veganomicon - (Which does have some pictures) Chickpea Cutlets and I liked them quite a bit!

Another book you might want to purchase is Becoming Vegan.

Another cookbook with some very basic, easy recipes is The New Farm Vegetarian Cookbook.
#21 Old 12-20-2007, 10:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

I'm curious what recipes people thought were too complicated! I'm sure some of them are, but there are plenty of easy ones, too.

These are some of my favs from VWAV: (and I'm an average cook at best)

(The best falafel I've ever eaten), fronch toast, pumpkin muffins, pancakes (I usually add blueberries) Isa Pizza, Sweet Potato Fries, Chickpea and Spinach Curry.

It's not that I can't make the recipes, I cook very well and I'm sure the food would be delicious. It's that some of the recipes take hours to make, have a list of ingredients a mile long (some of them quite exotic), use tons of pots/pans to make, and some of them, well - they remind me of some snooty, sauce laden food I might find in a 4 star French restaurant.

It's not a slight against the book, it's just a preference. I'm in the midwest, I like hearty, stick to your ribs, comfort food. I will say, Isa/Terry's books have really legitimized vegan cuisine and shown the world that anything is possible without using animal ingredients.

I did note that the recipes you like the best from VWAV were amongst the most simple too, though. Just about every vegan cookbook written has a pancake, french toast, pizza crust, muffin, and/or french fry recipe, no?
#22 Old 12-20-2007, 11:23 AM
Veggie Regular

Which ones are complicated? I've made half the recipes in that book and haven't come across one yet. Ironically, I thought The Voluptuous Vegan was kinda complicated.
#23 Old 12-20-2007, 03:37 PM

I've got the Uncheese cookbook. Whenever I get that old cheese craving, I just whip up a batch of mosteralla(fake mozeralla) and put it on crackers or on some broccoli. It works for me.

Ive had the book for a few years now, but have only tried a handful of recipes. I'll get to them all some day.
#24 Old 12-20-2007, 05:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkString View Post

I've got the Uncheese cookbook. Whenever I get that old cheese craving, I just whip up a batch of mosteralla(fake mozeralla) and put it on crackers or on some broccoli. It works for me.

Ive had the book for a few years now, but have only tried a handful of recipes. I'll get to them all some day.

The quiche recipe is good, especially if you add broccoli, but it needs to sit overnight in the fridge to firm up. The mac'n'cheeze is also good, but it's more like the real stuff then Kraft.
#25 Old 12-20-2007, 09:48 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

Ironically, I thought The Voluptuous Vegan was kinda complicated.

Just what I was thinking! To me, VWAV is a breeze compared to that book.
#26 Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 AM
Veggie Regular

I'd say go to your library if you're curious about a book. I know in Michigan there's a state wide inter-loan program and I know most libraries are at least link with the other libraries in the region. I've tried several vegan cookbooks this way, I just don't have the spare cash right now.
#27 Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

OK, so maybe what it boils down to is this: I like the looks of the recipes in Voluptous Vegan, the author cooks like I do, so they don't seem complicated at all to me. They might to someone else.

I like the ingredients and they sound like they'd be good together, the choice of seasonings and her cooking style all make sense. I tend to have all the ingredients she uses on hand.

Conversely, I rarely have all those ingredients from VWAV and the recipes just do not look interesting enough to make the effort. Like I said before, I look at the recipes and think "I could make that better, quicker, simpler and with less ingredients and less fussing".

Like everything else foodie, it's all a matter of personal preference.
#28 Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

OK, so maybe what it boils down to is this: I like the looks of the recipes in Voluptous Vegan, the author cooks like I do, so they don't seem complicated at all to me. They might to someone else.

I like the ingredients and they sound like they'd be good together, the choice of seasonings and her cooking style all make sense. I tend to have all the ingredients she uses on hand.

Conversely, I rarely have all those ingredients from VWAV and the recipes just do not look interesting enough to make the effort. Like I said before, I look at the recipes and think "I could make that better, quicker, simpler and with less ingredients and less fussing".

Like everything else foodie, it's all a matter of personal preference.
#29 Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Family Cookbook is really good, and gives vegan options for just about everything.

I have VwaV and V'con. I haven't had a problem with VwaV though I had it for like, a year or so before I actually used it. A lot of recipes I'm just not interested in, or have too much stuff I'd have to leave out/replace due to food sensitivities. The stuff I have made has been good though, same for V'con.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com
#30 Old 12-21-2007, 08:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Nava Atlas' Vegetarian Family Cookbook is really good, and gives vegan options for just about everything.

I have VwaV and V'con. I haven't had a problem with VwaV though I had it for like, a year or so before I actually used it. A lot of recipes I'm just not interested in, or have too much stuff I'd have to leave out/replace due to food sensitivities. The stuff I have made has been good though, same for V'con.

http://megatarian.blogspot.com

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page