When is dark chocolate suitable for vegans? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-04-2007, 01:22 PM

I'm a new vegan :P (I became one on the 20th October this year) and I'm a little confused about when dark chocolate is considered vegan because I ate a Tesco Luxury Plain Chocolate bar assuming it was vegan because the ingredients were only Cocoa Mass, Sugar, Cocoa Butter, Emulsifier (Rapeseed Lecithins) and there was no milk allergy warning. However, I went into Thorntons a while back and asked about their vegan chocolate and a dark chocolate bar that contained similar ingredients to above was said to not be vegan. So yes, I'm really confused and worried because I had assumed the above ingredients were vegan; if anyone could help I'd really appreciate it!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-04-2007, 01:25 PM
Veggie Regular

those ingredients are vegan.

did a thornton's member of staff tell you their chocolate wasn't vegan? it's quite possible that they just didn't know, if the ingredients were vegan, and so told you 'no' to be on the safe side.

But what do you mean 'similar ingredients'? were they the same or different? there are a lot of things that could sneak in to dark chocolate that aren't vegan.
#3 Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 PM
Veggie Regular

Some dark chocolate is, and some isn't. I've seen many that contain milk.. which would surely make it MILK chocolate?! Lol. I always check the ingredients... but it's hard if you go to a chocolate shop where things aren't labelled, and often people get confused when you ask them if the chocolate is vegan, from my experience.

I know, i'm not much help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-04-2007, 01:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds vegan to me, though I'm no expert. What bugs me is that most mainstream brands seem to have milk fat in their supposedly "dark" chocolate. Is it just me or shouldn't it be called milk chocolate if it has milk in it?

--Fromper

#5 Old 12-04-2007, 01:31 PM

Thanks so much for replying. Sorry, I really cant remember if the ingredients were exactly the same but they both contained ingredients that seemed like they couldn't contain dairy like just cocoa mass and sugar etc with no milk powder or butterfat or anything. The Thorntons' staff produced a list so I'm not sure about the accuracy.. but anyway, thanks again for the reassurance on them ingredients Ive obviously still got a long way to go!
#6 Old 12-04-2007, 01:35 PM
Veggie Regular

one possibility if the ingredients looked the same-ish is that there was LECITHIN in. Obviously, rapeseed lecithin (like in the OP) cames from rapeseed, and soy lecithin (that is in most chocolate) comes from soy, but if it is just labelled 'lecithin' I BELIEVE (not 100% sure) it comes from egg, which would obviously make it non-vegan.
#7 Old 12-04-2007, 01:37 PM
Veggie Regular

Ive noticed the thing you have to watch out for in dark chocolate is butterfat. like bournville =(
#8 Old 12-04-2007, 01:38 PM

Hehe I see, I'd heard something about lecithins being animal or plant derived; that'd probabally explain it. Thanks again!

EDIT: Sorry about not replying to all posts, you replied so fast I didn't see it before I'd replied again =P Thanks for all replies and I agree about dark chocolate shouldn't be called dark if it's got milk in and don't worry about not being an expert, I'm obviously not either =D
#9 Old 12-04-2007, 01:44 PM
Banned

agreed. maybe the lethicin in the thorntons stuff was from a dairy or egg source, or maybe they associate vegan with allergy safe, so said no due to the chocolate being produced on shared equipment, etc.

for vegan chocolate, i'd be looking out for the emulsifiers and lethicin source (soy and veg oils are good) as well as butter stuff- butter fat, butter oil, etc (obviously cocoa butter is good) dairy stuff- skimmed milk powder, lactose, whey powder, all the usuals. maybe casein might show up too- not sure, spose it depends- then you get into caramel and fondant ingredients. as far as i'm concerned, generally the less ingredients and long scientific words, the better.
#10 Old 12-04-2007, 03:08 PM

I think hcj may have hit the nail on the head wrt Thornton's. On their website, it says this, in the FAQ:

Quote:
Why can't Thorntons Dark Chocolate be guaranteed milk free/lactose free?

During production both milk & dark chocolate are used on the same machinery. A clean down procedure is followed between products, however there is a chance that cross contamination of milk to dark chocolate may occur.

The Animal Free Shopper that the Vegan Society puts out (and is online too), has a list of "certified" vegan chocolate. The folks at www.veganforum.com are pretty knowledgeable too. There's a UK section where I occasionally ask some ingredient-related question.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#11 Old 12-04-2007, 04:55 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay so do any of you worry about sugar??

I have been eating the normal dark chocolate that I think is vegan (no milk or animal emulsfiers atc)... But just thought about sugar..??

And Butterfat..? Is that from butter... Not vegan??

Thanks..
#12 Old 12-04-2007, 05:03 PM
Banned

butterfat = fat from dairy butter

cocoa butter = not from dairy butter, from cocoa (which is a bean) with a buttery texture (bit like peanutbutter)

eta: i think if something says 'something'-butter, or butter-'something', and you can't identify the other part as being non dairy, its safer to give it a miss. non dairy -butter things could be shea, cocoa, peanut, cashew, maple, apple (careful of this one, cos it could be a really concentrated fruit puree, or it could be butter with apple stirred into it), etc... beans, fruit or nuts.

another one to watch for (though not likely in chocolate) would be ghee- another sort of butter oil, otherwise known as 'clarified butter'. might turn up in indian sweets, desserts and chocolates.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page