Favorite Vegan Ice Cream? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 12-01-2007, 05:30 PM
Veggie Regular

I'm having Strawberry Rice Dream right now, and it's satisfactory, but I feel like I could do better. So what's the best brand/flavor? Sorbet is good, too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 12-01-2007, 05:36 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Fruccio Dutch Chocolate is pretty good. That is definitely my favourite. I also like the Santitarium So Good variety with Passionfruit. Quite a few of the So Good variety are nice, the mixed berry one and the mango one spring to mind.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#3 Old 12-01-2007, 05:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Purely Decadent Mocha Almond Fudge.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 12-01-2007, 05:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenlovessnow View Post

Purely Decadent Mocha Almond Fudge.

Same here! But I haven't been able to find it in the stores around here.

My second choice would be the Soy Delicious Mint Chocolate Chunk.

*this space not for sale*
#5 Old 12-01-2007, 05:55 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

What brand is it though? Not that I'd probably find it around here, either.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 12-01-2007, 06:08 PM
Ankle Biter

Soy Delicious "Butter" Pecan!

It is our choices that show what we truly are far more than our abilities. ~A. Dumbledore
#7 Old 12-01-2007, 06:20 PM
Veggie Regular

The Rice Dream ice creams leave a lot to be desired.

Toffuti is the best vanilla, imo. So Good makes a good vanilla (and other flavors as well) if you can find it.

I also think the Good Karma Organic Rice Divine "Coconut Mango" and "Carrot Cake" flavors are really good.

Whole Soy makes a "Creme caramel" flavored frozen soy yogurt that is really yummy too.

The Purely Decadent brand has several good flavors (Peanut Butter Zig Zag comes to mind!)
#8 Old 12-01-2007, 06:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Ooooh third vote for Purely Decadent mocha almond fudge!

I can't remember what brand it was but someone carries a "chocolate obsession" that was absolutely wonderful.

I also found some coconut sorbet a couple of years ago at TJs that was creamier than any vegan "ice cream" I've ever had. Add in some cocoa powder or vanilla flavoring and it would make a great ice cream! Mmmmmm you could make a "mounds" flavor with chocolate added! (I miss that candy sooo much.)
#9 Old 12-01-2007, 06:54 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowriver View Post

Ooooh third vote for Purely Decadent mocha almond fudge!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowriver View Post

I can't remember what brand it was but someone carries a "chocolate obsession" that was absolutely wonderful.

That would also be a Soy Delicious Purely Decadent flavor.

*this space not for sale*
#10 Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Thanks, Amy!

As you can tell, I don't treat myself to ice cream all that often! :P Not nearly often enough.
#11 Old 12-01-2007, 06:58 PM
Veggie Regular

Yes, that Chocolate Obsession is my favorite. But I haven't tried the almond fudge.

I see Purely Decadent makes a coconut one. I'd like to find that.
#12 Old 12-01-2007, 08:13 PM
Veggie Regular

I love Whole Fruit Sorbets. Especially the boysenberry flavor. Unfortunately my local store stopped selling them, but I got three pints for really cheap when they did. Another thing I like (that's still not "ice cream") are tofutti cuties.

I guess my favorite vegan ice cream would be strawberry rice dream. What I've got in the freezer right now is some So Delicious vanilla.
#13 Old 12-02-2007, 01:09 AM
Veggie Regular

At the moment mine has to be plain old vanilla from Swedish Glace - it's just so creamy. I really want to try the chocolate, but I'm enjoying the vanilla so much at the moment it's just not going to happen!

Decisions, decisions...

Cyr,
#14 Old 12-02-2007, 03:09 AM
Veggie Regular

I used to be a HUGE plain vanilla fan but haven't found any brands in my are that were any good. I don't think the stores here carry Swedish Glace...I've never seen it.
#15 Old 12-02-2007, 03:41 AM
Veggie Regular

I've been a vegan for six months, and I've never had ice cream. Maybe I should try some... Does soy or rice ice cream have a different taste than regular ice cream?
#16 Old 12-02-2007, 03:47 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, to some extent, in my opinion. The fattening soy ice creams are really good. For instance, I do like the Soy Delicious mocha fudge (no almonds) but the Soy Delicious Purely Decadent Mocha Almond Fudge is better, more creamy. Rice Dream, Rice Cream are all ok, pretty mild flavored. For me, I need something with a strong flavor to cancel out the soy taste since I don't like soymilk in general. I think the coffee flavor in the mocha is what makes it so good for me. If you can swing it, you should really give some of them a try. I can be frustrating, though, when you buy new vegan food items and then it turns out you don't like it and you have to throw it away. I wasted a lot of money in the beginning.
#17 Old 12-02-2007, 05:42 AM

Another vote for the Purely Decadent line. Soy Cream is fantastic as well, at least the "cherry chip" variety. I'm hooked on Swedish Glace now though too, and just yesterday I managed to avoid buying some of this stuff at the hfs: http://www.boojabooja.com/e_news.htm

And people think vegans just eat lettuce and tofu....

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#18 Old 12-02-2007, 07:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrillia View Post

At the moment mine has to be plain old vanilla from Swedish Glace - it's just so creamy. I really want to try the chocolate, but I'm enjoying the vanilla so much at the moment it's just not going to happen!

Decisions, decisions...

Cyr,

Hmm, I'll need to give that a go methinks. I tried Tofutti chocolate and it really didn't taste very nice to me :/ The local Tesco has Swedish Glace vanilla though so maybe I'll get to have ice cream after all!
#19 Old 12-02-2007, 07:51 AM
Beginner

I like Tofutti vanilla with whole fruit or nuts on top. Or homemade PB cookie crumbles.

I'd like to try making my own soy cream because the absolute best I've ever had was from a restaurant that made it from scratch.
#20 Old 12-02-2007, 08:09 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by illyrianmoon View Post

I'd like to try making my own soy cream because the absolute best I've ever had was from a restaurant that made it from scratch.

I was just looking at an ice cream maker the other day and wondering if it would work with soy milk
#21 Old 12-02-2007, 10:29 AM
Veggie Regular

Definitely Good Karma organic rice divine. http://www.goodkarmafoods.com/ My favorite flavor is chocolate peanut butter swirl. I've tried many other vegan ice cream products but none have the creamy texture like this one does.
#22 Old 12-02-2007, 10:42 AM
Veggie Regular

Temptation- vanilla flavor! It is the best ice cream I've ever tasted, vegan or non. It's delicious, and creamy, and I absolutely adore it.

http://www.welovesoy.com/
#23 Old 12-02-2007, 07:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Tofutti Vanilla is the best vanilla!

I have a great one made from SOy Dream that tastes just like Cherry Garcia!
#24 Old 12-02-2007, 11:05 PM

I love the Purely Decadent - my favourites are the cherry one and the turtle trails one. I have eaten so much of it in the last few weeks, I just moved a few days ago and they don't sell any nice vegan ice cream here so I thought I better eat lots while I had the chance!
#25 Old 12-03-2007, 08:40 AM

Oh, all the Tofutti fans seriously must try one of the Purely Decadent flavors, or Soy Cream. You'll never want to eat the Tofutti again.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#26 Old 12-03-2007, 08:52 AM
Veggie Regular

^^^ ^^^
#27 Old 12-03-2007, 09:13 AM

Strawberry Swedish Glace!

Yum
#28 Old 12-03-2007, 09:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Good Karma Mint Chocolate.
#29 Old 12-03-2007, 09:33 AM
Veggie Regular

Good Karma Rice Divine ice creams are extraordinary!!! I love the carrot cake flavor, but even just the vanilla is melt-in-your mouth good!

I also love the Double Rainbow Soy Black Cherry Chocolate Chip that I get at Trader Joe's. And Soy Delicious is always a good basic ice cream that I can get just about anywhere.

Has anyone had any luck making a good vegan ice cream? We have an ice cream maker but whenever I make soy ice cream it turns out all crystallized. I've also tried coconut ice cream and almond ice cream and the same thing happened. If anyone knows the secret to making it rich and creamy (and STAY soft-ish in the freezer like normal ice cream) please do share!

www.veganspoonful.com
#30 Old 12-03-2007, 10:43 AM
Veggie Regular

I vote for Tofutti Cuties! This is more like ice-cream sandwiches, and it's amazing. The only thing that saves me from eating it non-stop is that the only store that sells them in the area is further away so I don't run over there every day.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page