Obsessed or just passionate? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2007, 04:54 PM

When I was a vegetarian and vegan (veggie 7 years, veg 2 years) I was so passionate about animal rights. To the point that I even wrote my senior paper on animal cruelty and gave out tons of information to my class. I went protesting all the time and handed out leaflets or leafleted cars every time I went to the mall. No one cared, they just knew I was passionate.

Now that I'm vegan again, I haven't quite started leafleting cars everywhere (many times I have my son in his stroller and it's hard, but I do it sometimes). But I love to talk about it to my family, even if it's just to mention that I found this really awesome activism opportunity. Recently, someone close to me (very close) told someone else in the family that I'm "obsessed". I've tried to explain that I'm just passionate, but I'm still being basically told that I'm obsessive.

In front of this person should I just kind of tone it down? It's hard because I see them...VERY OFTEN (sorry, I don't want to say who it is in my family lol). Or what would you think would be appropriate for them to not think I'm just being obsessive?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2007, 05:15 PM
Banned

Well only you know if you are obsessed or passionate , so thats the first issue , if you dont think you are the problem is theirs not yours.

The second is , are there undercurrents when you present your activist views (like are you trying to covertly convince them of your views ) .

Your views could be coming across like someone who talks about there kids all the time , it gets a bit to much .
#3 Old 11-23-2007, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesand View Post

Well only you know if you are obsessed or passionate , so thats the first issue , if you dont think you are the problem is theirs not yours.

The second is , are there undercurrents when you present your activist views (like are you trying to covertly convince them of your views ) .

Your views could be coming across like someone who talks about there kids all the time , it gets a bit to much .

Oh definitely not coming off as trying to convert lol. I only even really mention specific things when asked. Otherwise it's stuff like "I found this really cool animal rights banner", just making an out loud observation and suddenly I'm "obsessed".
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegreenmom View Post

Oh definitely not coming off as trying to convert lol. I only even really mention specific things when asked. Otherwise it's stuff like "I found this really cool animal rights banner", just making an out loud observation and suddenly I'm "obsessed".

Well then the issue is with them , just a case of "Oh shes into animal rights so she must be obsessed "....just don't let them get to you and carry on with your good causes
#5 Old 11-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

The line between passion and obsession is incredibly fine. Obsession can even be a good thing at times, some of our greatest scientific minds fully admit to becoming obsessed by seeking answers, great artists often become obsessed with their work, it's not always a bad thing.

Personally I'd worry less about "obsession" and "passion" but step back and look at the big picture. Are your beliefs and the way you present them impacting your life negatively? Impacting the lives of those around you in a negative way? If not, don't worry too much about it. I'm guessing that the people who are commenting are either completely uninterested in and bored with the topic, or are uncomfortable hearing the arguments you present.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
#6 Old 11-23-2007, 05:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiz View Post

The line between passion and obsession is incredibly fine. Obsession can even be a good thing at times, some of our greatest scientific minds fully admit to becoming obsessed by seeking answers, great artists often become obsessed with their work, it's not always a bad thing.

Personally I'd worry less about "obsession" and "passion" but step back and look at the big picture. Are your beliefs and the way you present them impacting your life negatively? Impacting the lives of those around you in a negative way? If not, don't worry too much about it. I'm guessing that the people who are commenting are either completely uninterested in and bored with the topic, or are uncomfortable hearing the arguments you present.

Knowing the person I'm talking to - I'm going to put my vote with 'uncomfortable about hearing the arguments'. This is the same person who basically says that I'm full of crap and that I'm naive to think the things I have said REALLY happen to animals. So I'm probably obsessing more over caring what this person thinks of me than obsessing over the subject. the thing is I don't even talk about it that much, so I was trying to figure out how i could be being 'obsessive'. lol
#7 Old 11-24-2007, 10:44 PM
Veggie Regular

yep, they sound defensive....trying to label you as the *crazy vegan* so as to discount you and not have to *themselves, and others*, take you seriously.
#8 Old 11-25-2007, 06:50 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm having the same issues. I have only been limited l/o going on 4 months now. I'm still fascinated with all the new nutritional information I'm learning, recipes and new foods I'm trying, etc. And I'm equally dismayed at learning more and more about animal abuse, factory farming, corporate America, etc. My colleagues at work are starting to roll their eyes when I start talking about it. So, I just take that as my cue to hush up and get back to my books!
#9 Old 11-26-2007, 04:12 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_Kris View Post

I'm having the same issues. I have only been limited l/o going on 4 months now. I'm still fascinated with all the new nutritional information I'm learning, recipes and new foods I'm trying, etc. And I'm equally dismayed at learning more and more about animal abuse, factory farming, corporate America, etc. My colleagues at work are starting to roll their eyes when I start talking about it. So, I just take that as my cue to hush up and get back to my books!

I'll add a "me too" here, also. I've been l/o veg (with some vegan tendencies) for less than a year, and I don't even talk about it... ever. I told my family and friends when I went veg, and pretty much everyone who knows me knows about it now, but it's not like I ever discuss it unless someone else brings it up. Yet my sister, who I've only seen twice in the past year, since we live at opposite ends of the country, seems to think I'm weird and obsessive. I don't get it. As bluesand said, I consider it her problem, not mine.

--Fromper

#10 Old 11-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fromper View Post

Yet my sister, who I've only seen twice in the past year, since we live at opposite ends of the country, seems to think I'm weird and obsessive. I don't get it. As bluesand said, I consider it her problem, not mine.

Exactly! I've been called obsessive for politely saying "no, thank you" (and nothing more) when being offered Jell-o. Apparently, simply being a vegetarian and declining non-vegetarian food makes me obsessive in some people's view.
#11 Old 11-27-2007, 04:33 AM
Veggie Regular

My family calls me obsessive for saying "no, thank you," too. I'm also called obsessive because I read food labels. It's odd, though, because I'm not in not my family's nor anyone else's face saying, "I'm a vegan!". Actually, other people, when they find out I'm a vegan, had no idea. One girl said, "How did I not know that? I sit next to you at lunch everyday!"
#12 Old 11-28-2007, 08:08 AM

For some reason I haven't been getting the comments to this in my e-mail. I just wanted to say I'm so happy I'm not alone with this! The thing is that unless someone asks I pretty much keep to myself so I couldn't figure out how I was 'obsessive'...but now I know why I couldn't figure it out - because I'm NOT haha
#13 Old 11-28-2007, 08:24 AM
Veggie Regular

it may be taken as obsessive if you are making your comments at what may seem like "random" or "let's persuade" times. IE: the animal rights banner. If you say that at dinner, it may seem like a comment about what THEY are eating.
#14 Old 12-12-2007, 10:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Anytime that one is passionate about an issue that others could care little about, that person will most liekly look obsessive. It is the worlds way of justifying not really giving thought to whatever you are passionate about.

I wouldn't worry much. I get the same problem in my hood. Consequently, I have a huge box of flyers that I always have to worry about doing anything with. It gets tiring showing my passion for animal rights and being persecuted.
#15 Old 12-12-2007, 11:30 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussyj View Post

I get the same problem in my hood. Consequently, I have a huge box of flyers that I always have to worry about doing anything with. It gets tiring showing my passion for animal rights and being persecuted.

I'm not sure I understand what you're saying here. Do you mean that you want to hand them out but are reluctant to, or that you use them so that you don't have to keep talking about it?

I'm in the first category. Really want to hand them out but am anxious. But I get motivated in spurts and recently finished my first box of 300 pamphlets. Took forever though, it felt like!

Vegreenmom, I can actually see how some people might be annoyed by comments like the "cool animal rights bumper sticker." It might be like a born-again Christian talking about great "Jesus" quotes or songs or something. Even if you're not talking about it very often, if you're the only one who cares about such things, they'll notice it. And what are they supposed to say, "oh that's great" when they don't agree with it at all?

It's tough b/c on the one hand, this is who you are, you shouldn't have to work so hard to be discreet. But it might be better to save comments about cool bumper stickers for places like here, where they're appreciated. And when you do talk about the serious stuff, they won't already be turned off.

Of course if I recall correctly the original person you were thinking of sounded touchy about the whole thing, so maybe it doesn't really apply.

just my two cents...
#16 Old 12-13-2007, 09:42 AM

thats funny, my senior project was on factory farming and slaughterhouses, yeah not quite sure if im obsessed or just passionate, i just try my best, and i tend to write allot more about it then verbal announcements until it comes to family, then its all verbal!
#17 Old 12-13-2007, 09:00 PM

I just wanted to say now that this is no longer a problem. Also, just so everyone knows since I hadn't said it before, the person I was talking about was my husband. So it's not like at that point I could have just not said anything about what I believe. For instance, I was even reluctant to answer him when he asked about a big box of flyers that I had because I was afraid if I answered him he'd go on about me being obsessive again.

But as I said, this isn't an issue any more. He's stating to realize that I'm serious about this (veganism/animal rights) and so he's coming back down off his high horse a little
#18 Old 12-17-2007, 10:06 PM
Beginner

You are one step short of crazy, so says Ben Gates of National Treasure.
#19 Old 12-19-2007, 05:24 PM
Veggie Regular

hey that's great, glad to hear it vegreenmom!
#20 Old 12-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Veggie Regular

I think of passionate as defined not as by what's normal or not, but if it is bringing positive meaning to your life. Obsession to me, partly due to my psychology background is something you can't stop thinking about even if you want to, and it's taking over your life. I can see passion for something getting to the point of total abnormality, but if the person enjoys it, then it's still passion.

I don't know why someone would call you naive for thinking bad things happen to animals. Is that really the word they used?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page