Weight Loss And Vegan - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-23-2007, 10:57 AM

Hi everyone:

I have been a vegan from 1 month. I started exercising regularly and eating all the right portions and foods. (I was encouraged by Skinny *****).

However, I have not experienced any weight loss. I am eating completely different than I used to and I have not even cheated!

Is this normal? Did any of you take a while to lose weight?

People say they notice within the first 2 weeks but I haven't.

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-23-2007, 11:42 AM
Veggie Regular

hmmm.... hard to say. i was a vegetarian for 9 years before becoming a vegan about 6 weeks ago. i work out, too, but i dont even know if ive lost a pound. do you feel better than you did before? i think thats more important than the scale. are your clothes fitting any better?
#3 Old 11-23-2007, 11:49 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by CindySherman View Post

I started exercising regularly and eating all the right portions and foods.

What does that mean to you?

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-23-2007, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

My wife and I started our journey into vegetarianism in August, and went vegan shortly after. Neither of us have experienced noticeable weight loss.
#5 Old 11-23-2007, 12:02 PM
Veggie Regular

It's possible to be vegan, eat the "right portions" and the "right foods" and not lose a pound.
#6 Old 11-23-2007, 12:45 PM
Veggie Regular

What I've experienced with veg*nism is a healthy, maintainable weight loss. That is to say 50-30lbs over two years. I put some of it back on when my activity levels dropped but I'm nowhere near as heavy as I was before and I'm getting active again. Dramatic changes are rarely healthy and difficult to keep in my experience.

Also you can't rate your changes by other peoples standards, everyone reacts to food differently.
#7 Old 11-24-2007, 01:21 AM
Beginner

I went vegan at a very young age to put ON weight, so it just goes to show that the human body is such a wonderful and complex thing, and what works for one may not work for another.
#8 Old 11-24-2007, 07:51 AM
Veggie Regular

If you are exercising now after a long period of not exercising, you could be gaining muscle mass. So even if you lose some fat, you may not lose weight.

Also, two weeks is a very short time period. Healthy weight loss is very gradual. Instead of focusing on losing weight, I recommend focusing on having a healthy lifestyle (well balanced vegan diet rich in a variety of veggies, fruits, whole grains and legumes; moderate regular exercise; plenty of sleep; plenty of water; minimizing stress, etc.).

When I became vegan and started exercising again I stopped weighing myself. Eventually I started noticing that my clothes started being too big, until I had to buy all new clothes. About a year after my healthful lifestyle changes I finally weighed myself and found that I'd lost 35 pounds! So, that's less than a pound a week. Because I've kept up with my healthy lifestyle and focused on health rather than weight loss, I've maintained what for me is a healthy weight (not skinny, but fit) for over five years now. I rarely weigh myself these days.
#9 Old 11-24-2007, 08:48 AM
Veggie Regular

Vegan food has calories just the same as non-vegan food. Sure, it can be healthier in that you avoid a lot of saturated fat as well as a lot of excess protein, but it doesn't guarantee a weight loss.

I've been all kinds of versions of omnivore, pescetarian, vegetarian, and vegan, and never noticed any weight loss or gain with any of them. When I feel like I need to lose a few pounds, I limit my portions (as in I don't take "seconds") and I eat fruit as a snack if I get hungry between meals. That works for me. I can't stand counting calories (my head hurts after a day of it and I give up!) so I just have to work on portion control. Yes, even as a vegan, portion control is important!

www.veganspoonful.com
#10 Old 11-24-2007, 05:53 PM

Whether or not you lose weight all depends on the amount of calories you consume and the amount of calories you burn off. I'm sure you're eating way more healthy now. Also make sure that you're also eating ENOUGH calories too. You don't want to much but you still want to be above the bare minimum. Or else your body will go into starvation mode.
#11 Old 11-29-2007, 10:16 AM

I lost some weight but very slowly. In six months I lost 11 pounds, but the first two months I didn't lose anything.

xoxo

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page