I have a bit of an issue (feeding companion animals non-vegan food) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-17-2007, 10:58 PM

I became vegan over a month ago and I'm just now realizing something. I still have to buy eggs, honey, and chicken baby food on a regular basis. I own sugar gliders and have them on a BML diet. Glider enthusiasts suggest that you not change their diet as long as they are happy, healthy, and like what you are feeding them. So, the BML diet is what I have been feeding them since I got them. The recipe, if one batch is made (lasts me 10 days with 3 gliders) calls for about 1/2 cup honey, 2 2.5oz chicken baby food jars, and 1 egg, scrambled. It also calls for Gerber Juice and Yogurt mix which contains dairy.

Is this an issue with me being vegan. I pretty much go according to this rule. If the animal needs it, don't worry. I have cats that require meat based cat food, geckos that require live insects, snakes that require rodents either frozen or live, so I cannot escape the use of animal products unless I were to give up all my babies. (Which I will NEVER do.)

So my question is this. Since I have to use eggs, dairy, honey and cat food, what is a good way to make it as vegan friendly as possible. I know that sounds pretty stupid since technically vegans do not use animal products. (Also, does this make me a non-vegan since I still buy animal products. I don't consume them personally, but I do buy them)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-18-2007, 12:01 AM

I keep salt water fish and corals and feed them fish food that I make from various seafoods. I have dealt with this by asking my local health food store to save me their "spoils" instead of wasting it by throwing it away. That way I'm not buying it and supporting the industry.

I would suppose you could do that with the eggs and yogurt as it has to be disposed of after the expiration date.
#3 Old 11-18-2007, 04:05 AM
Veggie Regular

You really have to square with yourself what you can and can't cope with. Lets face it, some animals need meat. If you are going to keep those animals, you have to be prepared to feed them what they need. You personally don't have to consume it, as you don't physcially need it, but if you are advocating as natural a diet as possible, then you have to give the cats meat, and the gliders what they would eat naturally (or as close as possible).

You also have to consider the reasons that you went vegan in the first place. That will impact upon how you resolve this problem.

It is a hard thing to consider, and I wish you good luck. I worry about looking after animals for precisely this issue.

Good luck,

pirate x
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-18-2007, 10:24 AM

Anti-vegans/vegetarians love issues like this. They love to ask if you're feeding your pets vegetables, and try and make you out as cruel.

Don't beat yourself up about it. You can survive without meat, but alot of animals can't, and it would be cruel to try and force them onto a vegetarian/vegan diet. 99.9% of us V's would eat meat if we had to to survive (desert island, famine, third world, post apocalypic society xD), but thankfully in our society we are able to make a choice. Just try your best to 'ethically' source animal products for your companions.
#5 Old 11-18-2007, 12:16 PM
Beginner

Hey Jay-Bunny

First of all I think you can still proudly call yourself VEGAN.

Cats anatomically need meat to thrive. Whilst many do eat plant based foods as supplements there is no evidence as yet to ascertain whether synthetic essential nutrients are metabolized effectively by felines. Whilst they could appear healthy for many years there are not enough studies to know if they will suddenly experience devastating health effects as a result.

As vegans, we are repulsed that some "food animals" such as cows, which ARE total vegetarians, are commonly fed ground-up ANIMAL products or even their own species. If we believe it is wrong for natural vegetarians to be force fed meat, the inverse should equally be objectionable. Cows are designed to eat plant matter and cats are designed to eat flesh.

(I got this info from a book called Being Vegan by Joanne Stepaniak).

Now these are my own thoughts: bear in mind that the majority of cat food is what I consider to be "slaughterhouse dregs". I looked at a packet of my own cat's food which was meant to be tuna flavored. But when I looked on ingredients it said 4% tuna (and the rest was "animal derived products"). It is better to buy better quality pet food (read the ingredients, they are a real eye-opener!!)

Hope that helps!
#6 Old 11-18-2007, 02:52 PM

...what is a sugar glider?
#7 Old 11-18-2007, 04:51 PM

This is a sugar glider.

Actually, that is Dojan, a glider we used to have. We actually never got to bring him home because he stayed with the breeder with the other male we had purchased until we could bring them both home. He died while in the breeder's care due to a territorial dispute between him and the biggest, dominant male.

Thanks for the replies. I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make my own cat food. I could somehow make dry kibble and also feed them free-range, humanely raised meat. That way they are not getting any by-products from manufactured foods. Does anyone know how to do this as I have no earthly idea.
#8 Old 11-18-2007, 07:21 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post

This is a sugar glider.

Those are SO cute!

I'm vegan and feed my cats food with meat in it, FYI.
#9 Old 11-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Veggie Regular

I feed my cat meat as well. I'm a vegan. I consider it a matter of looking out best for her welfare.

And no, I don't know how one would go about making cat chow, sorry.
#10 Old 11-19-2007, 07:21 AM
Veggie Regular

there are vegan cat/dog foods but i agree with fraggle, the science needs to be explored more before i would use or trust those products
#11 Old 11-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Beginner

[QUOTE= I was wondering if it would be a good idea to make my own cat food. I could somehow make dry kibble and also feed them free-range, humanely raised meat. That way they are not getting any by-products from manufactured foods. Does anyone know how to do this as I have no earthly idea.[/QUOTE]

I'm too lazy right now to look further for you but if you google "homemade vegan cat food" there's loads of info. The important thing to remember is to add the necessary supplements. I strongly believe the majority of your cat's food should still be meat, but a side serving of homemade vegan delights might be tasty treat. My own cat eats the regular meaty/fishy pet foods, but I always cook him some fresh fish once a week and he often has a spoonful of whatever I'm eating.... today it was vegan coconut veggie curry..... Oh it was sooooo yummy I could eat it everyday!
#12 Old 11-20-2007, 01:14 AM
Veggie Regular

I like ShellyT's suggestion as I do a similar thing myself in regards to feeding some feral cats and my dog as well. THe good thing about this suggestion is that at least in does not support the industry as ShellyT has said.

In the supermarkets that I go to they have a seperate section for items that are discontinued or damaged, at this point it again does not support the industry. I have found all kinds of dog and cat foods in these sections. Sometimes you will find canned meats as well. Just make sure that it is the discontinued section and not just a sales rack as there is a difference.
#13 Old 11-20-2007, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post

I became vegan over a month ago and I'm just now realizing something. I still have to buy eggs, honey, and chicken baby food on a regular basis. I own sugar gliders and have them on a BML diet. Glider enthusiasts suggest that you not change their diet as long as they are happy, healthy, and like what you are feeding them. So, the BML diet is what I have been feeding them since I got them. The recipe, if one batch is made (lasts me 10 days with 3 gliders) calls for about 1/2 cup honey, 2 2.5oz chicken baby food jars, and 1 egg, scrambled. It also calls for Gerber Juice and Yogurt mix which contains dairy.

Is this an issue with me being vegan. I pretty much go according to this rule. If the animal needs it, don't worry. I have cats that require meat based cat food, geckos that require live insects, snakes that require rodents either frozen or live, so I cannot escape the use of animal products unless I were to give up all my babies. (Which I will NEVER do.)

So my question is this. Since I have to use eggs, dairy, honey and cat food, what is a good way to make it as vegan friendly as possible. I know that sounds pretty stupid since technically vegans do not use animal products. (Also, does this make me a non-vegan since I still buy animal products. I don't consume them personally, but I do buy them)

My only suggestions are try to find a small, organic and *humane local farm for the eggs and honey. Same thing for the chicken, though I don't know how you could get it to a baby-food consistency.

You can make your own yogurt from a base of store-bought yogurt, and then continue to make your own using a base from what you yeild. You can find instructions on the internet easily.
#14 Old 11-21-2007, 06:40 AM
Veggie Regular

as far as asking if you would still be considered vegan, I don't know if anybody really is truly vegan, except for those that can afford to give their entire lives a make over. From what I understand, there is even animals blood in things such as paint that is on our walls as well as many other unsuspecting products that we probably use throughout our daily lives without ever realizing. I guess the only thing you can do is try your best, which is what it sounds like you are doing. You are probably really no less vegan than the majority of us.
#15 Old 11-21-2007, 10:10 AM
Veggie Regular

i think you're ok. i have to feed my cats catfood with meat and my lizard eats worms. the way i see it is this: my animals need to survive and ill do whatever it takes for them to be happy. as for the worms, i just tell myself that they are being sacrificed to the lizard god.
#16 Old 11-21-2007, 10:20 PM

I don't live near any farms but I do live close to a health food (organic) store. The egg cartons there say "Free running hens" Don't know if that makes it any better or not. We only require 3-4 eggs a month for their meals.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page