A weak defense - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-08-2007, 11:15 PM

Somehow we got onto the topic of veganism with one of my friends and his girlfriend. She said something about she has this condition where her teeth are extra sharp so she knows she was meant to eat meat even though I gave a list of responses about how our bodies weren't meant for them but she just blew it off and said it was an opinion. w/e. I don't know what she was talking about with her teeth :rolls eyes: ... When will people stop being ignorant and open their eyes?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-08-2007, 11:18 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't know but I had to at her reason.
#3 Old 11-09-2007, 12:13 AM
Veggie Regular

lol @ your avatar xxveg

but tell her if having sharp teeth justifies killing other species, then having brains & hands justifies killing other people (where there is benefit for you in doing so)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-09-2007, 04:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Tell her to go eat a zebra with nothing but her teeth then!

Or even a raw steak come to that
#5 Old 11-09-2007, 06:00 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate Ferret View Post

Tell her to go eat a zebra with nothing but her teeth then!

Or even a raw steak come to that

I was going to say something along those lines!
#6 Old 11-09-2007, 06:49 AM
Beginner

This might provide you with some more amunition .......

Although some historians and anthropologists say that man is historically omnivorous, our anatomical equipment "teeth, jaws, and digestive system " favors a fleshless diet. The American Dietetic Association notes that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on vegetarian or near-vegetarian diets."

And much of the world still lives that way. Even on most industrialized countries, the love affair with meat is less than a hundred years old. It started with the refrigerator car and the twentieth-century consumer society. But even with the twentieth century, man's body hasn't adapted to eating meat. The prominent Swedish scientist Karl von Linne states, "Man's structure, external and internal, compared with that of the other animals, shows that fruit and succulent vegetables constitute his natural food." The chart below compares the anatomy of man with that of carnivorous and herbivorous animals.

When you look at the comparison between herbivores and humans, we compare much more closely to herbivores than meat eating animals. Humans are clearly not designed to digest and ingest meat.

Meat-eaters: have claws

Herbivores: no claws

Humans: no claws

Meat-eaters: have no skin pores and perspire through the tongue

Herbivores: perspire through skin pores

Humans: perspire through skin pores

Meat-eaters: have sharp front teeth for tearing, with no flat molar teeth for grinding

Herbivores: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Humans: no sharp front teeth, but flat rear molars for grinding

Meat-eaters: have intestinal tract that is only 3 times their body length so that rapidly decaying meat can pass through quickly

Herbivores: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Humans: have intestinal tract 10-12 times their body length.

Meat-eaters: have strong hydrochloric acid in stomach to digest meat

Herbivores: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Humans: have stomach acid that is 20 times weaker than that of a meat-eater

Meat-eaters: salivary glands in mouth not needed to pre-digest grains and fruits.

Herbivores: well-developed salivary glands which are necessary to pre-digest grains and fruits

Humans: well-developed salivary glands, which are necessary to pre-digest, grains and fruits

Meat-eaters: have acid saliva with no enzyme ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Herbivores: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Humans: have alkaline saliva with ptyalin to pre-digest grains

Based on a chart by A.D. Andrews, Fit Food for Men, (Chicago: American Hygiene Society, 1970)

Clearly if humans were meant to eat meat we wouldn't have so many crucial ingestive/digestive similarities with animals that are herbivores.

Many people ask me, "If we weren't supposed to eat meat than why do we?". It is because we are conditioned to eat meat. Also, the ADA (American Dietetic Association) tells us that "most of mankind for most of human history has lived on a vegetarian or Lacto-ovo vegetarian diet.

A popular statement that meat eaters say is; "In the wild, animals kill other animals for food. It's nature." First of all, we are not in the wild. Secondly, we can easily live without eating meat and killing, not to mention we'd be healthier. And finally, as I have already shown, we weren't meant to eat meat. Meat and seafood putrefies within 4 hours after consumption and the remnants cling to the walls of the stomach and intestines for 3-4 days or longer than if a person is constipated. Furthermore, the reaction of saliva in humans is more alkaline, whereas in the case of flesh-eating or preying animals, it is clearly acidic. The alkaline saliva does not act properly on meat.

The final point I would like to make on how we as humans were not meant to eat meat is this. All omnivorous and carnivorous animals eat their meat raw. When a lion kills an herbivore for food, it tears right into the stomach area to eat the organs that are filled with blood (nutrients). While eating the stomach, liver, intestine, etc., the lion laps the blood in the process of eating the dead animals flesh. Even bears that are omnivores eat salmon raw. However, eating raw or bloody meat disgust us as humans. Therefore, we must cook it and season it to buffer the taste of flesh.

If a deer is burned in a forest fire, a carnivorous animal will NOT eat its flesh. Even circus lions have to be feed raw meat so that they will not starve to death. If humans were truly meant to eat meat, then we would eat all of our meat raw and bloody. The thought of eating such meat makes ones stomach turn. This is my point on how we as humans are conditioned to believe that animal flesh is good for us and that we were meant to consume it for survival and health purposes. If we are true carnivores or omnivores, cooking our meat and seasoning it with salt, ketchup, or tobasco sauce would disguise and we as humans would refuse to eat our meat in this form.
#7 Old 11-09-2007, 07:58 AM
Veggie Regular

Fraggle, what a wonderful post! The whole "our teeth prove we are are 'meant' to eat meat" argument is ridiculous.

The issue here is not whether or not we can eat meat, should eat m eat, or even will eat meat. It's whether or not science and agriculture

permit us to escape the need to eat meat. They do.

I just shoot down any people who talk out of their butts with a couple of questions. I always ask what makes the person an authority on this? What books have they read about anthropology? Dental work? Anything?

Friendly conversations like this usually end up with the undereducated people spouting ignorant one-liners like "we need meat" and the tooth argument.
#8 Old 11-09-2007, 08:06 AM
Veggie Regular

#9 Old 11-09-2007, 08:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Condition. Yeesh. Have her ask a doctor about her "condition." Or bite her and ask how your teeth compare.

I've know people who thought they had unusually long eye teeth and assumed that meant they should drink blood!
#10 Old 11-09-2007, 11:06 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
I've know people who thought they had unusually long eye teeth and assumed that meant they should drink blood!

you know vampires?
#11 Old 11-09-2007, 11:12 AM
Baby Love

My dogs have sharp teeth. They love these things http://www.nylabone.com/about/. It's a way for them to work out those teeth without harming anything else. Perhaps you should suggest she should put those on her Christmas list.
#12 Old 11-09-2007, 11:27 AM
Veggie Regular

Don't people feel stupid saying crap like that???
#13 Old 11-09-2007, 11:34 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

#14 Old 11-09-2007, 11:50 AM
Veggie Regular

Fraggle you rock!!!!
#15 Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

My dogs have sharp teeth. They love these things http://www.nylabone.com/about/. It's a way for them to work out those teeth without harming anything else. Perhaps you should suggest she should put those on her Christmas list.

#16 Old 11-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Veggie Regular

yeah, ive heard that thing about teeth, too. i think the sharp teeth were meant more for the neanderthals.
#17 Old 11-09-2007, 02:35 PM
Beginner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

#18 Old 11-09-2007, 07:09 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael2 View Post

you know vampires?

I knew people who thought they were vampires. Big dif.

Also, Jinga, nylabones rock! We got the "gallileo" style one for our lab and it's lasted for years.
#19 Old 11-11-2007, 02:59 PM

LOL the things they come up with these days for justification hahahaha

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page