Anti vegan lecturer :-/ - Page 2 - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#31 Old 11-13-2007, 05:55 AM
Kiz
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

Well isn't that why a lot of people go college (if this is in the USA where college is different from the UK and is more like a British university I believe)? To get good grades for a good job? Though of course a lot also want to learn as well as get good grades.

Well, to some extent. The main reason is to learn. Why bother getting good grades in a subject you have no interest in, to get a "good" job that you find boring and tedious? If you are genuinely interested and passionate about a subject good grades will just follow along as par for the course. If you go there to learn you will get the good grades, you'll also get a whole lot more out of it than if you just go through the motions simply to obtain a certain number on a piece of paper.

Love the post? Why not buy the T-shirt!
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=categorie&cat=8
http://www.kiz-shop.de/index.php?page=product&info=94
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#32 Old 11-13-2007, 08:56 AM
Veggie Regular

Cheers for the link Lionspirit.

Just to be clear, this particular module is a small part of my course, the course itself is aimed at business and equine studies, the main bulk being about horses which i am interested in.. but if i didn't want grades what would be the point in going when i could learn things elsewhere. I thought learning came with going to uni anyway

I'm hoping to go into horse rescue or therapy, which is not boring or tedious to me.. and if i want to go into the management of such places, most are looking for people with qualifications, as far as i've seen.
#33 Old 11-13-2007, 11:24 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_in_Drublic View Post

Cheers for the link Lionspirit.

Just to be clear, this particular module is a small part of my course, the course itself is aimed at business and equine studies, the main bulk being about horses which i am interested in.. but if i didn't want grades what would be the point in going when i could learn things elsewhere. I thought learning came with going to uni anyway

I'm hoping to go into horse rescue or therapy, which is not boring or tedious to me.. and if i want to go into the management of such places, most are looking for people with qualifications, as far as i've seen.

You've just reminded me of something. GET EXPERIENCE! In the UK, you stand out more than other graduates if you've got good grades AND experience. See if you can volunteer for some organisation.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#34 Old 11-13-2007, 11:55 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by LionSpirit View Post

You've just reminded me of something. GET EXPERIENCE! In the UK, you stand out more than other graduates if you've got good grades AND experience. See if you can volunteer for some organisation.

Hehe cheers, i've done volunteer work at a few places.. i'm currently doing a volunteer job at a horse yard, where i've been for 3 years. Over the summer i was working on their accounts for them, which pleased them no end lol I've just started looking after a couple of horses for an old lady.... not sure if that one counts, but i had the hard time of telling her friend that his 3 year old horse shouldn't really be in a field on his own with loads of apples on the floor

I could do with a few more references from places though, i'll have to see what i can find
#35 Old 11-13-2007, 12:01 PM
Veggie Regular

i graduated in june with a women's studies degree, three years fast food/customer service experience, 1 year marketing experience, 2 years RA experience (management), 1 year event planning experience...

I plan on getting an MBA in MIS
#36 Old 11-13-2007, 01:57 PM
Veggie Regular

As a college instructor it always irritates me when I hear stories like this. It is not the teacher's job to impose his opinions (uninformed opinions in this case) on his students. It's because of people like him that I frequently have students who seem more interested in whether their papers reflect my opinions than in developing their own opinions. They're under the impression that teachers already have it in their minds what they want students to think, and they must have gotten that impression from somewhere, probably from people like your lecturer. I for one have given good grades to papers that I completely disagree with because the students were able to make logical arguments and support their viewpoints with reliable sources. It is possible to make a strong argument for a number of different opposing viewpoints. Otherwise, intelligent people would never disagree with one another. Sorry for going off on that little rant but arrogant jerks like your lecturer just make me !
#37 Old 11-13-2007, 02:45 PM
Veggie Regular

Sounds complicated Libellula!! Good luck with it hehe.

I can understand that completly eggplant, i have had some lecturers that have been great, and have thanked them for loads. It's a shame some spoil it for the others in a way.
#38 Old 11-13-2007, 02:57 PM
Bof
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Punk_in_Drublic View Post

That's an admirable ambition. Good onya!

(What my Buddhist friends would call 'right livelihood.')
#39 Old 11-13-2007, 03:01 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bof View Post

That's an admirable ambition. Good onya!

Thank you Bof There used to be a horse rescue centre not far from me (they've moved away to a bigger place now), but i used to visit to donate, they took me around and told me the stories of each of the horses, and the pictures of when they arrived. It made me so sad and sickened, all i wanted to do was help, so i plan one day to help.
#40 Old 11-15-2007, 02:58 PM

just say "Animals are friends, not food." :]
#41 Old 11-15-2007, 03:02 PM

#42 Old 11-15-2007, 03:03 PM

#43 Old 11-15-2007, 03:18 PM
Veggie Regular

maybe he needs to see some of the disturbing videos from people like peta and the humane society. sounds like an ass. if it were me, id still do my paper on my topic and if he doesnt like it, then id move up the chain of command (department head, etc).
#44 Old 11-15-2007, 03:24 PM
Veggie Regular

Lol thanks Ace of spades, i love your avatar!!

I think if he was shown disturbing videos he could still come up with excuses

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page