Help? (Animal derived ingredients) - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 11-03-2007, 08:01 AM

Apologies all around if this has been posted/listed before -- I don't get much time to be here and right now I have little time because my son's going to be up from his nap soon.

I'm vegetarian and working towards veganism, but I'm having a terrible time remembering all the various food ingredients that are animal-derived. I know some, like casein and rennet and whey, but I can't find a complete listing of them that I could print out and take with me when I go grocery shopping. Do any of you know of one?

Also, can y'all just virtually kick my butt a little? With Halloween just past, my weakness for milk chocolate's at an all-time high (we still have gobs of Halloween candy sitting on the counter). My husband isn't all that supportive of me being veggie, he honestly tries but just doesn't understand, and he was insistent on getting the milk chocolate candy for trick-or-treaters this year.

Thanks in advance. I'll try to make it back to this thread sometime tonight or tomorrow, free time permitting. I appreciate any and all help (and butt-kicking) y'all can give me!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 11-03-2007, 09:36 AM
Veggie Regular

It's at the top of this forum that you just posted in Here's a direct link back to it:

https://www.veggieboards.com/boards/s...ad.php?t=71315

It's a pretty good list- so I hope that helps There are other ones too that a quick google search will pull up. I used to take it shopping with me too and the easiest way to do that is to make your own document out of it with just the ingredient list in small font, columned.

As for the milk chocolate.... Just don't eat it!!! Go get some delicious dark chocolate all for yourself to help with the temptation.
#3 Old 11-03-2007, 12:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Milk Chocolate BAD! Dark Chocolate GOOD!

Does that help any? If not than just remember that with dark chocolate you feel satisfied after eating less so you aren't scarfing as many empty calories. And next year give the little ghouls skittles or something.

Also if you live in the states foods that have ingredients derived from milk or eggs need to be allergy labeled. You still need to read the list but it helps weed out unsuitable foods more quickly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 11-03-2007, 02:33 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

And next year give the little ghouls skittles or something.

Are Skittles vegan?
#5 Old 11-03-2007, 02:57 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bells View Post

Are Skittles vegan?

They're definitely not vegan, or even vegetarian, in North America. They have gelatin. Not sure about the UK, though.
#6 Old 11-03-2007, 04:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beachbnny View Post

It's at the top of this forum that you just posted in

Thank you! Sorry about that, I blame it on my son -- he drains my brains on a daily basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptoveggie View Post

Milk Chocolate BAD! Dark Chocolate GOOD!

Hahahaha! Thanks, I went out this afternoon to run errands and picked up a little dark chocolate just for me. Yum!
#7 Old 11-04-2007, 02:21 AM
Veggie Regular

Even some (a lot) of dark chocolate has milk in it. For what reason, I do not know!
#8 Old 11-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleepydvdr View Post

From what I know, Skittles are vegan in the U.K.

not anymore

they are coated in shellac nowadays and have been for a few months.
#9 Old 11-04-2007, 09:04 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:

I heard on NPR radio a story about chocolate. According to them, Americans prefer the bitter taste of chocolate that is made with semi-soured milk. Europeans hate our chocolate (tastes spoiled to them) and don't use semi-soured milk.

Never heard that about the soured milk, and it wouldn't account for the mediocre taste of AMerican dark (and dairy free) chocolate, but I sure know I don't care for any of the "American" chocolate at ALL. (even when I wasn't vegan).

Hershey bars, Nestle, Ghirardelli, etc... bleh.

If I can't find a good European bar, I don't bother.

ETA: Now, I have heard that American chocolate processing standards allow many times more "impurities" (i.e. BUG PARTS!) per ounce of chocolate than European processing standards do.
#10 Old 11-05-2007, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

Even some (a lot) of dark chocolate has milk in it. For what reason, I do not know!

Aw, say it ain't so. I don't remember seeing the milk allergen warning on the one I bought the other day, but I don't even remember what brand it was so I can't look it up. Probably was Hershey's or something since I got it at the local convenience store...

Quote:

I heard on NPR radio a story about chocolate. According to them, Americans prefer the bitter taste of chocolate that is made with semi-soured milk. Europeans hate our chocolate (tastes spoiled to them) and don't use semi-soured milk.

Oh. That's. Nasty.

Quote:

...And since you have a kid, no butt-kicking today... I can't imagine how hard it must be to be a parent. Kudos that you are trying to be vegan and a parent.

Thank you! Having Eliot has really made me realize how important it is to "be the change you want to see in the world." He'll at least notice and acknowledge the wrongs done to animals, even if, as an adult, he doesn't agree with me about the vegan lifestyle. I hope he'll be at least vegetarian, but his dad (and my husband, heh) is a die-hard omni so I don't know.

Here's to hoping.
#11 Old 11-05-2007, 08:14 PM
Veggie Regular

ALL Hershey's dark chocolate has milk in it last time I checked. As do Nestle, Cadbury, Mars, Gihirdelli, etc. In fact, almost all "convenience-store-variety" American dark chocolate does as far as I know.

One variety of Scharfenburger dark is dairy free, as well as some of the health-food store brands like Green & Black, but you have to look for the European ones like Callebaut, Valrhona, RitterSport, etc, to find good dark AND dairy-free chocolate.
#12 Old 11-06-2007, 04:14 AM
Veggie Regular

Actually, I found a dark chocolate that did not have milk at Wal-Mart. I believe it was either Hershey or Gihirdelli.
#13 Old 11-06-2007, 09:13 AM
Veggie Regular

Probably an older package of Girhirrdelli (pffft... sp?) because they USED to make one. Their website says they have recently "changed the recipe" of several of their chocolates, however. The dark (and previously dairy free) being one of them.

Hershey does not make a dairy free chocolate.
#14 Old 11-06-2007, 11:11 AM
Veggie Regular

I am so sad. I absolutely LOVE chocolate especially dark chocolate. I have been known to buy semi-sweet chocolate chips just to eat not for baking. Now I can't find anything I can afford to buy.

"Women & cats will do as they please, & men & dogs should relax & get used to the idea." Robert Heinlein
#15 Old 11-06-2007, 11:41 AM
Veggie Regular

CVS around here started carrying Lindt (swiss) chocolate, the really dark one is all vegan and it costs only $2.
#16 Old 11-06-2007, 04:03 PM
Veggie Regular

Oh..... if we're talking semi-sweet chocolate chips, there are LOTS that are vegan! (oddly enough! ) Look for the generic or "store brand" semi-sweet ones ones first of all, about half the time those are accidently vegan.

Also, Ghirardelli makes a dairy free variety of semi-sweet chocolate chips; Guittard, sold at Safeway and Kroger is also accidently vegan. All of the above are usually about 2$ a bag.
#17 Old 11-06-2007, 06:57 PM
Veggie Regular

i think that i heard that americans prefer their chocolate sweeter and smoother than euro types...thats why they add milk and more sugar to even dark chocolates.

if you check out WF, you can find alot of dark choc bars that are vegan. you can find which one you like...from 45% cocoa to 60%, 75%, etc. its an adventure for the taste buds!!

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page