Vegans and Leather - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-31-2007, 04:00 PM

Where do you stand? This came up in another post, someone said not using the hide was wasting it... Does this mean there are some of you who wear leather?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-31-2007, 04:43 PM
Bof
Banned

Most leather comes from domesticated / factory farmed animals and is an integral part of the animal's commercial value.

More info at PETA.
#3 Old 10-31-2007, 04:49 PM
Baby Love

I don't eat beef, so I am not wasting the hide by not wearing leather.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-31-2007, 08:40 PM
Veggie Regular

An animal won't die for my pleasure, as there is no need for...

I enjoy eating cruelty free food, so I do not need a steak...

I'm protected from the Extreme Chicago's Winter Weather of even -30 with cruelty free clothes, so I do not need to kill a cow to fight the cold...
#5 Old 10-31-2007, 09:42 PM
Veggie Regular

I still have some leather items from my pre-veg*n days. I will use/wear it until it can't be used/worn anymore.

Some people donate it. Some buy leather items from thrift stores, garage sales because they'd rather reuse than go out and buy brand new.
#6 Old 10-31-2007, 11:16 PM
Veggie Regular

I won't even wear used leather or sit on leather. It feels like I'm disrespecting the animals to do so. Like I agree they're suitable/fashionable as furniture and clothing. Waste? Is it waste to bury humans in graveyards instead of making stuff out of them?

I think it's better to bury flesh in the ground to go back into the earth, not to soak it in toxic chemicals to stop decomposition. I think it's more of a waste TO wear leather. The nutrients in the flesh should go back into the soil!
#7 Old 10-31-2007, 11:20 PM
Veggie Regular

I don't wear the skin of any animal except my own.

When I first became vegan, I continued to use some of the leather items, but I stopped and gave it all away. There is something really sick about using the skin of an animal to comfort another animal body though.

I believe everything.
#8 Old 11-01-2007, 03:49 AM
Veggie Regular

I have some pre-vegan leather stuff (including a sofa) which I just can't afford to replace....so it'll be used until it's worn out...which is likely to take a very long time with the sofa! Ideally, I'd have donated all the shoes and the sofa to a charity shop when I went vegan, but it just isn't possible...

Clarexxx
#9 Old 11-01-2007, 05:13 AM

It's really quite difficult to be young and adventurous and vegan...isn't it? I love shoes, for instance, but the only ones available to me are a few of the Marc Jacobs collection at Target and some at other lower-end stores... I certainly cannot afford Stella McCartney's shoes (and I don't know that it isn't cruel to humans, paying $600 for shoes when people are starving...)
#10 Old 11-01-2007, 05:28 AM
Baby Love

I agree, paying $600 for shoes is ridiculous, but honestly you aren't helping starving people by buying less expensive shoes unless you are donating the leftover money to directly help their cause.
#11 Old 11-01-2007, 06:13 AM

The definition of veganism is, according to The Vegan Society:

'Someone who tries to avoid - as far as is possible and practical - all forms of exploitation of animals for food, clothing or any other purpose. This is for the benefit of people, animals and the environment. Vegans eat a plant-based diet free from all animal products, such as meat, animal milks, eggs, honey and gelatine. They also avoid animal products like leather, wool and silk for clothing or other purposes'.

It is definately un-vegan to wear animal skins/leather!

I admit I have a few wool items from before I went vegan, such as a pair of trousers and a couple of expensive sweaters. I have not thrown them away as they were presents, but would feel very uncomfortable wearing any form of animal product whilst being vegan.
#12 Old 11-01-2007, 06:54 AM
Veggie Regular

I haven't got any leather other than my walking boots that show little signs of wearing down after 4 years so I'm not going to replace them until I need to.

I would say that wearing leather funds the same industry that you're trying to avoid by not eating meat. I'm not going to eat a corpse so why would I want to wear it?
#13 Old 11-01-2007, 07:01 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jinga View Post

I agree, paying $600 for shoes is ridiculous, but honestly you aren't helping starving people by buying less expensive shoes unless you are donating the leftover money to directly help their cause.

Great quote! *jots this down in his notebook of quick replies*
#14 Old 11-01-2007, 07:12 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lula View Post

It's really quite difficult to be young and adventurous and vegan...isn't it? I love shoes, for instance, but the only ones available to me are a few of the Marc Jacobs collection at Target and some at other lower-end stores... I certainly cannot afford Stella McCartney's shoes (and I don't know that it isn't cruel to humans, paying $600 for shoes when people are starving...)

You don't need to spend loads to get vegan shoes.I always go to really rubbish shops to get nice shoes that aren't leather for about £7 (these are also the only shops that do decent looking shoes in a uk size 9). For trainers I get the vegan etnies/vans or canvas.
#15 Old 11-01-2007, 07:24 AM
Veggie Regular

I have a couple of pairs of shoes (from when I was a teenager, I'm 34 now) and a leather belt that I'll still wear. They're visibly not new but still are functional so I will wear them. I recently gave my motorcycle jacket to my BIL in exchange for him doing a little work on my bike. He needed a warm coat, and I never wore it anymore (though I used to love that thing) so it was a good trade-off.
#16 Old 11-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Veggie Regular

I have leather hiking boots from my pre-vegan days. They are amazing boots and I plan on wearing them 'till they fall apart (well, hopefully not literally, I don't want to be stuck on a mountain somewhere with no shoes).

I don't buy leather.
#17 Old 11-01-2007, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenna View Post

I still have some leather items from my pre-veg*n days. I will use/wear it until it can't be used/worn anymore.

Some people donate it. Some buy leather items from thrift stores, garage sales because they'd rather reuse than go out and buy brand new.

I am in the same line of thought as you. I have prevegan leather, and I think it should either be donated to a shelter or used until it's worn out. Tossing away functional goods is not only wasteful, but it's bad for the environment. Has to go somewhere, right?

I don't buy leather though.
#18 Old 11-01-2007, 03:50 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

(well, hopefully not literally, I don't want to be stuck on a mountain somewhere with no shoes).

I know someone that actually happened to. One moment his uber-expensive boots were fine, the next moment one of them had come away completely at the seams.
#19 Old 11-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Baby Love

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soy 6-Pack View Post

Great quote! *jots this down in his notebook of quick replies*

Haha. Well, I'm glad you enjoyed it
#20 Old 11-01-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

I don't buy new leather anymore but have tons of it from pre-vegan. I don't have the money to all-at-once replace all of the leather shoes (purses/etc) I have and finding cute non-leather shoes can be a pain in the ass (but finding non-leather purses has been much easier). Some leather goods I will probably own for a long time since I rarely wear out my shoes but I do a 'spring cleaning' a few times a year and donate what I no longer like or what I have too much of. I guess for me it's about waiting until I find proper replacements of each leather item.

Also, I refuse to sell my car (leather seats/bought used)... besides the next car I'd buy would be the same, so that would be rather pointless of me.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page