are silk products vegan? >:( - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-27-2007, 03:02 PM

please close/lock/whatever this thread if the topic has been posted before, but i haven't found anything on it.

i drink/eat tons of silk products (as i'm sure many of you do). i love silk, espescially the taste of their choco-soymilk. their website says all their products are suitable for vegans (but how much can you trust the company's website, especially since they're now owned by dean foods?)

i was eating a key lime silk live! soy yogurt today, and, being someone quite into food science, noticed that on the container was an OU-D symbol (this looks like U in a circle with a D next to it, if you don't know what i'm talking about). this is a designation by the orthodox union, an organization which i believe is pretty strict about these things, as to what kind of kosher, if at all, a product is. i just checked my chocolate silk soymilk in the fridge, which has the same symbol on it.

from the OU website about OU-D and non-dairy creamer:

"According FDA regulations only something consisting of actual milk in certain forms can be labeled dairy. Milk derivatives or milk by-products may not, according to FDA, be called dairy. Many of these so-called creamers use a lactose that is a derivative from milk.

According to Halacha, a derivative of milk is still milk, and must be labeled dairy accordingly. According to the FDA, such a product may not be labeled dairy because that would be lying to the consumer (remember, they say only milk is dairy.) To comply with FDA regulations, the company must label the product as a NON-DAIRY creamer. To comply with Halacha, this product must have a dairy designation. "

i know there are other kosher designations that will label something processed on dairy equipment (which i don't consider to be vegan, personally) such as the scroll K - DE. i'm not sure how the OU does this, i have to contact them (and have already emailed silk about this). does anyone know why silk has the OU-D symbol, and whether silk is *actually* vegan?

meanwhile i think i'm gonna go vomit :X thank god...err...g-d for the orthodox union.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-27-2007, 03:11 PM

I believe O'soy is made by Stoneyfield Farm, and they make regular yogurt as well, correct? In terms of kashrut, an item must be labeled dairy or meat if it was produced on equipment that also processes dairy or meat. Since Stoneyfield Farm makes dairy yogurt, so that's why it's labeled as dairy. To an orthodox Jew, the only way to "clean" the equipment and make it truly neither dairy nor meat (pareve) would be to wash it with boiling water. This is why many Jews have two of everything in their kitchen. I'm not sure about other derivatives in the yogurt though.
#3 Old 10-27-2007, 07:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Well... I'm sure it will still vegan due the following reasons:

1st and hard one to happen: If a vegan detects dairy on that milk, and with lab proofs demonstrate the milk isn't vegan... Dean's will suffer.

2nd and easily to happen: If lactose allergic, suffers an attack due the milk... some Dean's headquarters will go to jail... not worth the risk.

Anyway, bad news... I do not like those guys (lol... their guacamole has milk!!!!!!! How the hell you put milk on guacamole!)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-27-2007, 09:19 PM
Baby Love

From Silk's website:

Quote:
Are Silk products dairy free?

All Silk products including Silk Creamer, Silk Live! and Silk Live!® Soy Yogurt are completely dairy free and safe for people with dairy allergies. None of our ingredients are made from animal products, by-products or derivatives. Our natural flavors do not contain any dairy or other animal products. See our Products section to find nutritional information by clicking on the product you are interested in eating.

Are Silk products kosher?

All Silk brand products in all flavors are certified Kosher-DE. Kosher DE means that a kosher food has been processed on dairy equipment. We use SCROLL-K symbols on our packaging to indicate Kosher DE.

Are Silk products vegan?

Yes, completely! There are no animal derivatives hidden in any of the ingredients. The lactic acid and live cultures used in Silk soy yogurt come from a vegetable source. All vitamins used to fortify Silk Soymilk are derived from vegetable sources including calcium carbonate that comes from limestone.

What is a dairy allergy? Can I use Silk products if I am allergic to dairy?

Many people are allergic to milk (usually cow's milk) or milk products. Dairy allergies are different from lactose intolerance. A dairy allergy is an extreme sensitivity to the proteins in dairy products, while lactose intolerance is caused by a lack of lactase enzyme, which helps the body digest dairy products. Dairy allergies can range from mild indigestion to anaphylaxis, which is life threatening.

All Silk products are dairy free, lactose-free and casein-free. None of our ingredients come from animal products, by-products or derivatives.

http://www.silksoymilk.com/FAQ.aspx#AL-1
#5 Old 10-28-2007, 09:28 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagoan View Post

If lactose allergic, suffers an attack due the milk... some Dean's headquarters will go to jail... not worth the risk.

Anyway, bad news... I do not like those guys (lol... their guacamole has milk!!!!!!! How the hell you put milk on guacamole!)

First of all, not sure where you're getting your info. It seems a bit off. I can see a lawsuit happening if indeed this was the case, but "going to jail"? Hmmm....

Second, who makes the guacamole? Silk? I wasn't aware that they made guacamole and have never seen it on their website.
#6 Old 10-29-2007, 05:19 AM
Veggie Regular

Okay, KOSHER keeping person here. Silk is processed in a factory that handles dairy. By kosher law, that makes silk a K-DE product. No matter how sterile a piece of equipment is after processing dairy, unless it is cleaned in such a manner, with a rabbi in attendance that would make it "kosher pareve" it is "kosher dairy." This is why when you go into a synagogue with a kitchen there are two ovens, two refrigerators, and separate countertops for dairy, meat, and pareve foods. if a dairy food gets placed onto the meat counter, no matter how sterile that counter is made after, it isn't kosher until a rabbi makes it so.

does that make sense? it doesn't mean that silk isn't vegan, it means that silk is processed on shared equipment that, although sterilized, isn't super rabbi sterilized and blessed after each cleaning.
#7 Old 10-29-2007, 07:38 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

super rabbi sterilized and blessed after each cleaning.

"Super Rabbi Sterilized..."I want a shirt that says that!
veggie weasel likes this.

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#8 Old 10-29-2007, 08:28 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libellula View Post

Okay, KOSHER keeping person here. Silk is processed in a factory that handles dairy. By kosher law, that makes silk a K-DE product. No matter how sterile a piece of equipment is after processing dairy, unless it is cleaned in such a manner, with a rabbi in attendance that would make it "kosher pareve" it is "kosher dairy." This is why when you go into a synagogue with a kitchen there are two ovens, two refrigerators, and separate countertops for dairy, meat, and pareve foods. if a dairy food gets placed onto the meat counter, no matter how sterile that counter is made after, it isn't kosher until a rabbi makes it so.

does that make sense? it doesn't mean that silk isn't vegan, it means that silk is processed on shared equipment that, although sterilized, isn't super rabbi sterilized and blessed after each cleaning.

Thanks for clearing that up!
#9 Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 AM
Veggie Regular

y'all are welcome.
#10 Old 10-29-2007, 01:31 PM

I have always wondered the same thing!

Now I know...
#11 Old 10-29-2007, 02:31 PM
Veggie Regular

And I thought you were talking about fabrics...
#12 Old 10-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Veggie Regular

some of the "super sterilization" may or may not be true, it depends on the circumstances, temperature of the food, whether or not it was an accident, etc.
#13 Old 10-29-2007, 09:51 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

First of all, not sure where you're getting your info. It seems a bit off. I can see a lawsuit happening if indeed this was the case, but "going to jail"? Hmmm....

Second, who makes the guacamole? Silk? I wasn't aware that they made guacamole and have never seen it on their website.

Dean's...

They do have Guacamole which one of the ingredients is cow milk...
#14 Old 10-29-2007, 10:31 PM
Veggie Regular

Basically if you avoided stuff that was "shared on equipment with dairy products" you'd be eating salads your whole life (not really but you get what I'm trying to say).

Only a few companies are 100% strict vegan even in terms of equipment!

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#15 Old 11-12-2007, 02:51 PM

I stopped using Silk and all White Wave products when I learned that they were getting their "organic" soybeans from questionable sources. I just can't trust a companies like DEAN, PHILIP MORRIS, and WAL-MART (just a few that have ownership of White Wave) to produce food I feel comfortable feeding to my family.
#16 Old 11-17-2013, 08:45 AM

Silk milk is not vegan because it has cane sugar in it. Cane sugar is processed through chard, chard is animal bones huh.gif Which makes me mad, that they dont know whats in sugar, or they dont care! So I decided to only eat fruit for the rest of my life, because this is to confusing.
#17 Old 11-17-2013, 09:07 AM
Not such a Beginner ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaylyn View Post

Silk milk is not vegan because it has cane sugar in it. Cane sugar is processed through chard, chard is animal bones huh.gif Which makes me mad, that they dont know whats in sugar, or they dont care! So I decided to only eat fruit for the rest of my life, because this is to confusing.
All sugar isn't filtered this way. In addition, some vegans (including me) eat products like Silk, even not being able to source the sugar. When I buy sweeteners, I make sure they are vegan, but I will eat an oreo, for example.

http://gentleworld.org/keeping-animal-cruelty-out-of-sugar/
"Thankfully, the following companies state that their product doesn’t go through the bone char process. (However, we recommend that individuals verify this information for themselves, since things can change.)
Any certified USDA organic sugar
Wholesome Sweeteners Sucanat
Rapunzel
Rapadura
Sugar in the Raw
Turbinado sugar
American Crystal Sugar Company
Florida Crystals Refinery
Imperial Sugar Company
Irish Sugar Ltd
Monitor Sugar Company
Refined Sugars Incorporated
SupremeSugarCompany
SuperValu
Western Sugar
PillsburyTate & Lyle North American Sugars Inc

There are also many sweeteners that do not come from cane and do not require going through the bone char process. The following are some of the most commonly used and easy to find vegan alternatives:
Beet Sugar (Careful! some companies mix beet and cane together)
Xylitol (birch sugar)
Coconut Palm Sugar
Agave Nectar
Stevia
Maple Syrup (Make sure that the company doesn’t use lard as a de-foaming agent.)
Brown Rice Syrup
Fruit Juice Concentrates
Date Sugar
Fructose
#18 Old 04-17-2014, 02:12 AM

Honestly, if you can make your own soy milk (or the various nut milks, almonds, etc) it is way more nutritious and I think a fresher taste too. It's as simple as soaking the beans in water overnight and processing in a blender, food processor or soy milk appliance. Because I heard that even processed soy milk is bunk! Very alarming to hear, I've been drinking it most of my life. 

I write amazing books on raw foods, vegan recipes, health and battling addictions for under $5! Organic herbs and plants.

http://sagelightpublishing.miiduu.com/

#19 Old 04-17-2014, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asiangrrl View Post

please close/lock/whatever this thread if the topic has been posted before, but i haven't found anything on it.

i drink/eat tons of silk products (as i'm sure many of you do). i love silk, espescially the taste of their choco-soymilk. their website says all their products are suitable for vegans (but how much can you trust the company's website, especially since they're now owned by dean foods?)

i was eating a key lime silk live! soy yogurt today, and, being someone quite into food science, noticed that on the container was an OU-D symbol (this looks like U in a circle with a D next to it, if you don't know what i'm talking about). this is a designation by the orthodox union, an organization which i believe is pretty strict about these things, as to what kind of kosher, if at all, a product is. i just checked my chocolate silk soymilk in the fridge, which has the same symbol on it.

from the OU website about OU-D and non-dairy creamer:

"According FDA regulations only something consisting of actual milk in certain forms can be labeled dairy. Milk derivatives or milk by-products may not, according to FDA, be called dairy. Many of these so-called creamers use a lactose that is a derivative from milk.

According to Halacha, a derivative of milk is still milk, and must be labeled dairy accordingly. According to the FDA, such a product may not be labeled dairy because that would be lying to the consumer (remember, they say only milk is dairy.) To comply with FDA regulations, the company must label the product as a NON-DAIRY creamer. To comply with Halacha, this product must have a dairy designation. "

i know there are other kosher designations that will label something processed on dairy equipment (which i don't consider to be vegan, personally) such as the scroll K - DE. i'm not sure how the OU does this, i have to contact them (and have already emailed silk about this). does anyone know why silk has the OU-D symbol, and whether silk is *actually* vegan?

meanwhile i think i'm gonna go vomit :X thank god...err...g-d for the orthodox union.

silk is now an independent company again (white wave).

silk live lime is vegan:

Organic Soymilk (Filtered Water, Whole Organic Soybeans), Organic Evaporated Cane Juice, Rice Starch, Natural Flavors, Dextrose, Tricalcium Phosphate, Lime Juice Concentrate, Cultured Glucose Syrup Solids, Citric Acid, Pectin, Locust Bean Gum, Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C), Turmeric (for Color), Key Lime Extract, Yogurt Cultures (L. Bulgaricus & Thermophilus, L. Acidophilus, B. Bifidum, L. Casei, L. Rhamnosus).

#20 Old 04-17-2014, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShellyT View Post

I stopped using Silk and all White Wave products when I learned that they were getting their "organic" soybeans from questionable sources. I just can't trust a companies like DEAN, PHILIP MORRIS, and WAL-MART (just a few that have ownership of White Wave) to produce food I feel comfortable feeding to my family.

dean foods no longer owns any part of white wave. what is your problem with silk's soybeans?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page