Wat Ever Happened with Emes/The Marshmallow Fiasco? - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-26-2007, 06:08 AM
Veggie Regular

Does anyone know what ever transpired? I watched a video about this and found that Emes went under, I know that much. No lawsuits were active at that time. Anyone have any other information?

I know that a truly vegan marshmallow was created by one of the women who used to (unwittingly) make them non-vegan but sold them as vegan, but they aren't available near me.

http://www.sweetandsara.com/

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-28-2007, 04:10 AM
Veggie Regular

*bump*

"Yes! Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death!" Auntie Mame
#3 Old 10-28-2007, 04:36 AM
Veggie Regular

I'm not sure, but I watched the story on it... Wow am I glad I never bought any of those vegan marshmallows or used Emes "kosher" gel.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-28-2007, 04:57 AM

Emes went out of business. The last I heard, they were still proclaiming that the gelatin was vegan, despite lab tests suggesting otherwise, based on the protein levels.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#5 Old 10-30-2007, 08:18 AM
Veggie Regular

Couldn't you just order them from one of the on-line stores in that link you provided? I know I've ordered vegan marshmallows from Pangea (which isn't linked to there) a few times.
#6 Old 10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
Veggie Regular

Yes, I could order them. I don't want to, really, I just want to know if anyone knows anything beyond what I have seen and read online (Emes wouldn't productively respond to any attempts to discuss the issue and continued to maintain that the product was veg, there was no legal action taken, Emes went under etc.).

#7 Old 10-30-2007, 11:40 AM
Veggie Regular

#8 Old 10-30-2007, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

I want to know what happened too. The company owner should be in jail. I just don't understand how they were able to get away with this... and who is supposed to be regulating products that hit the shelves? For all we know, meat is really human meat, not animal. *paranoid*
#9 Old 10-30-2007, 09:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Okay, now I'm curious - did those vegan marshmallow products list Emes gelatin as an ingredient?

I have some vegan marshmallows that I ordered from pangea at home right now. The ingredient list only mentions agar-agar as a binder, and honestly they don't look a whole lot like marshmallows, they are kind of off-white with a granulated-type sugar coating rather than that cornstarch coating on a typical white marshmallow. However I just checked back on Pangea and they said they are currently reformulating their recipe. Does this mean that my marshmallows aren't actually vegan?

www.veganspoonful.com
#10 Old 10-30-2007, 09:56 PM
Super Moderator

I promise you, those ones you have are vegan

I have a box of Emes I bought about 6 months ago that I never used (thank God) and the ingredients aren't actually listed on the box (which is odd). The girls who were making the marshmallow treats in the video were using Emes... since Emes didn't list ingredients, I wonder how the girls planned to put that on their product.

Vegan marshmallows are hard to get "just right," but I like them!
#11 Old 10-30-2007, 10:39 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by delicious View Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYrhWHQ6pb0

Yeah, I watched that and another like it (which is what inspired me to start this thread) but it seems odd that no legal action was taken and there is no more information on this.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page