Difficult questions to reply as vegans - VeggieBoards
Forum Jump: 

#1 Old 10-02-2007, 09:23 AM

Hi folks, as vegans, what are some of the difficult questions thrown at you by non-vegans in relation to your vegan lifestyle? And how do you reply?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#2 Old 10-02-2007, 10:05 AM

Occasionally I get the "you don't think you're actually making a difference, do you?".

I also get the "in the bible, it says that animals are put on the earth to be eaten".

I've started to just reply with the standard "I live my life the way I think is right, and trust that others will do the same".
#3 Old 10-02-2007, 10:18 AM

Mostly I am faced with the usual 'Where do you get yor protein from?' and 'We are designed to eat meat because we have sharp teeth' type questions and statements, which are easy to dismiss when you know a little about nutrition etc.

Often when asked when I am asked why I am vegan I respond by saying 'Because I can't think of any reason not to be!' That is the most honest answer I can give them.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

#4 Old 10-02-2007, 11:59 AM
Veggie Regular

As Mama to a vegan 14mth old....I do get some unpleasant things said to me...two days ago I was told that I am starving her (this as she was launching her wobbly walking way across the room to kiss my friend!)...I tend to reply...'really? she doesn't look skinny to me...have you not seen her double chin?'....(said in a tone of fake concern, which doesn't come across well online!)

It doesn't help matters that she IS small for her age, although given that I'm the tallest in my family at 5 foot nothing its hardly surprising.

In answer to the 'why'....I give a quick bullet point version of my reasons...people usually reply with 'oh' before changing the subject!

Clarexxx
#5 Old 10-02-2007, 10:00 PM
Veggie Regular

Well, it's not hard to reply to but it's one I hate hearing,

"Well, what about that manure they grow your vegetables with, hmm?"

Ugh, I tell them that manure is a byproduct of the animal explotation industry and if there were no meat, egg, or dairy then there would be no poop. And that compost can be just as effective.
#6 Old 10-03-2007, 12:07 AM
Veggie Regular

The whole "But my Doctor said..." always makes me roll my eyes. And regardless what i say, I am not that person's Doctor, so my knowledge holds no credibility...

You and I know Doctors aren't nutritionists and can sometimes give inaccurate advice... but the way most Americans blindly follow every word their Doctor says as Bible truth...:sigh: makes it difficult to convince them they CAN live without "the iron from red meat" or "the calcium benefits of milk"...
#7 Old 10-03-2007, 03:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tofu-N-Sprouts View Post

makes it difficult to convince them they CAN live without "the iron from red meat" or "the calcium benefits of milk"...

I try to remind people of the cholesterol, the saturated fat, the growth hormones etc. that also come packaged with these foods, not to mention the massive cruelty and death associated with their production. Calcium from plant sources is superior to animal sources too.
#8 Old 10-03-2007, 05:20 AM

thanks folks for sharing! I also get all kinds of funny questions about the nutritions in plants compared to meat, like "Meat gives you energy, veggies makes you hungry!" cos I do get hungry faster than them.

anyway, aside from questioning on food (which happens often) and health, do you receive funny or ridiculous questions on a broader perspective like how your decision to go vegetarian and vegan affect the society or the world?

I was asked once on "plants have life too, aren't you killing them too?
#9 Old 10-03-2007, 06:05 AM
Veggie Regular

Sometimes omnis are annoying and they do not value our veganism.

The other day, my wife at her job (with the omni family we fooled and we though they were going to be vegan) they purchased an Eddy's Ice Cream Cookies & Cream and they said to my wife, "Do you want Ice Cream? Can you skip your rule just for once?"

My wife was bothered and she said, "I do not eat nothing coming from an animal!" And then, they were like, ok... ok...

Lol... it is not so hard to understand... instead of that, she could purchase 4-5 different veggies, some nuts and olive oil... just with that you can make tons of things (and also, something easy and fast as a salad) And my wife could eat fine, instead of carrying food from home.
#10 Old 10-03-2007, 08:49 AM

Even more annoying than the questions to me are the people that try to "catch you" or "prove you wrong". Looking at what you're eating and saying "I thought you couldn't eat that" or "doesn't that have _________ in it?".
#11 Old 10-03-2007, 05:36 PM
Beginner

What about omega-3's? Is veganism natural when the only non-animal source of omega-3 EPA and DHA (not the weak ALA) is from algae?
#12 Old 10-03-2007, 09:33 PM
Veggie Regular

This girl asked about overpopulation of deer and I said that we come and build on their habitat then get pissed when they walk on our roads. What's wrong it's our fault!

All she said was that my argument was dumb but wouldn't explain why!

(hint), what else can I say to her?

“May all sentient beings be free of pain and suffering.  May all sentient beings experience eternal joy and happiness.  gate gate pāragate pārasaṃgate bodhi svāhā.”
http://www.facebook.com/doktormartini
http://twitter.com/#!/MartyBaureis
http://doktormartini.tumblr.com

#13 Old 10-04-2007, 02:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

What about omega-3's? Is veganism natural when the only non-animal source of omega-3 EPA and DHA (not the weak ALA) is from algae?

I believe flax, hemp seeds and walnuts are all great sources of Omega 3s.
#14 Old 10-04-2007, 02:27 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by federico View Post

ALA isn't so 'weak' when your intake of omega 6's isn't so high. It's the current typical diet unnaturally high in omega 6 that makes it difficult for us to produce DHA.
#15 Old 10-04-2007, 02:41 PM

Veganism is entirely natural, animal products on the whole are detrimental to human health, due to their high cholesterol and fat content.
#16 Old 10-04-2007, 03:02 PM
Veggie Regular

i don't like when people say "what do you eat??!". because i eat such a big variety of things, most aren't even that healthy .. i certainly dont eat all fruits and vegetables... i still eat potato chips and everything... im just vegan for the animals i'm not even as concerned with my health. so when people ask this, i say something along the lines of "uuum anything that isn't part of something that used to have a face?"

if people honestly expect me to ramble off what i eat, they're riddiculous.

yeah..that's one of the most annoying questions for me!
#17 Old 10-05-2007, 06:52 AM
Veggie Regular

I don't find the questions that I get asked difficult.. just annoying.

Some of the regulars are "What do you eat?", "What about the plants you're killing? They were alive once!", "Where do you get your protein?", etc...
#18 Old 10-05-2007, 08:15 AM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry View Post

i don't like when people say "what do you eat??!". because i eat such a big variety of things, most aren't even that healthy .. i certainly dont eat all fruits and vegetables... i still eat potato chips and everything... im just vegan for the animals i'm not even as concerned with my health. so when people ask this, i say something along the lines of "uuum anything that isn't part of something that used to have a face?"

if people honestly expect me to ramble off what i eat, they're riddiculous.

yeah..that's one of the most annoying questions for me!

I usually rattle off what I ate for the past 3 nights. When asked what I eat by a waiter at a Greek restaurant, I held up what he just served me: "Well, let's see. I eat falafel in a pita with lettuce, tomatoes, and onions with a side of potato chips..."
#19 Old 10-06-2007, 02:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by murry View Post

.. "uuum anything that isn't part of something that used to have a face?"..

I love your reply, murry! Way to go!
#20 Old 10-06-2007, 03:33 AM
Veggie Regular

"What does your cat eat?"

you pretty much can't say anything to please an omni if you're vegan and own a cat
#21 Old 10-06-2007, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cosmo View Post

Occasionally I get the "you don't think you're actually making a difference, do you?".

It makes a big difference to those cows and chickens (or other animals) that don't end up dead on my dinner plate.

Quote:

I also get the "in the bible, it says that animals are put on the earth to be eaten".

Now see, this one is fun. Ask them to show you where in the Bible, it says that.

The ones I pity are the ones who never stick out their neck for something they believe, never know the taste of moral struggle, and never have the thrill of victory. - Jonathan Kozol
#22 Old 10-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by IamJen View Post

Now see, this one is fun. Ask them to show you where in the Bible, it says that.

Yeah, the way they phrase it is wrong. Animals weren't made to be eaten, according to the bible. But in Genesis 9 is says that we're allowed to eat them. But there is a big difference in allowing something (eating animals) and making something for a specific purpose (making animals so people can eat them). It's amazing how many people point out "dominion" without realizing the very next sentence describes a vegan diet.
#23 Old 10-06-2007, 12:07 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by isowish View Post

"What does your cat eat?"

you pretty much can't say anything to please an omni if you're vegan and own a cat

unless your cat is vegan too...
#24 Old 10-06-2007, 12:17 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doktormartini View Post

This girl asked about overpopulation of deer and I said that we come and build on their habitat then get pissed when they walk on our roads. What's wrong it's our fault!

All she said was that my argument was dumb but wouldn't explain why!

(hint), what else can I say to her?

Tell her that in parts of Brazil there is an overpopulation of humans:

Quote:
Brazil has highly progressive children's rights legislation, the world's largest and strongest movement for the rights of street children and was one of the first countries to sign and ratify the U.N. Convention on the Rights of the Child. Why, then, does the ever-growing number of murdered children and adolescents seem to have no end? Why, indeed, are more and more Brazilian children dying while society already has at hand powerful tools for the protection of their rights?

The answer, lamentably, is that killing children is a profitable 'pastime' in Brazil. The so called 'cycle of impunity' means not only neglect or omission, but a rather profitable corruption scheme within public security and law-enforcement agencies. Tania de Almeida, head judge of Duque de Caxias Court, delivered a powerful speech at the Street Children Hearing in Copenhagen. The judge explained a vicious circle: the powerful elite in Rio pay private security agencies to provide for its safety; these agencies are headed by police officers or chiefs of the Military Police; rank-and-file police officers, unable to live on their salaries, often moonlight, quite commonly for the security agencies; reassured by the cycle of impunity, the security agencies branch out into 'illegal' business, which as often as not, turns out to be 'cleaning up' the streets for dissatisfied merchants; cleaning up the streets comes to mean eliminating the children of the poor perceived as one of the source of Rio's modern-day problems. Judge de Almeida went on to characterize the staff of these private security agencies as largely comprised of professional killers. Finally, according to de Almeida, there are several Rio 'parlamentares', or city officials, who, once professional killers themselves, currently protect their 'successors'.

http://www.pangaea.org/street_children/latin/brazil.htm

Whether it's the overpopulation of humans or other animals, the solution to the problem depends on the value we place on the lives in question. We could erect fences and underground passages to keep wildlife roaming in areas that are still left untouched by human development. But that would cost to much so we just kill them. Just like the solution in Brazil would cost too much so killing street people is the easy answer.
#25 Old 10-06-2007, 12:20 PM

Quote:

Quote this poem.
#26 Old 10-06-2007, 12:22 PM
Veggie Regular

Quote:
Originally Posted by Serenstar View Post

Quote this poem.

That wouldn't work for a creationist/young earther
#27 Old 10-07-2007, 08:28 PM

Having only just made the switch to veganism, I've only gotten a few omni's saying things.

One instance, a co-worker asked if I had had the new turkey sandwich and I replied no, I don't eat meat. He asked if I was vegetarian and I said I was vegan. He then told me that plants have feelings too and asked if I knew how many plants die horrible deaths each day to feed me. Moron.
#28 Old 10-08-2007, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay_Bunny View Post

Having only just made the switch to veganism, I've only gotten a few omni's saying things.

One instance, a co-worker asked if I had had the new turkey sandwich and I replied no, I don't eat meat. He asked if I was vegetarian and I said I was vegan. He then told me that plants have feelings too and asked if I knew how many plants die horrible deaths each day to feed me. Moron.

Yeah. I get that a lot too. People say "well, plants are living things too". Honestly, they do sort of have a point. They are living things. Granted, they don't have a nervous system, brain, circulatory system, or whatever. I wish I could come up with a snappy response to them. Usually I just tell them to eat what they want and I will do the same...
#29 Old 10-08-2007, 09:59 AM
Veggie Regular

ga man tried to argue with me that since vegans don't eat honey because it comes from bees, then vegans should also not eat maple syrup, because it comes from trees...

ya. i know.
#30 Old 10-08-2007, 10:53 AM

I sometimes get the incredulous 'but you don't eat honey?'

Erm, yeah, I don't eat animal products and last time I checked bees weren't plants or trees.

This is a good page detailing why vegans don't eat honey:

http://www.vegetus.org/honey/honey.htm

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the VeggieBoards forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page